2017-18 NHL Trade deadline

Hall, Wood, and now Grabner? Jesus Ray, are we trying to win a speed skating competition? :lol:

Seriously though, I like it. He fits the Devils playing style perfectly, and with some forwards cooling off (most notably Bratt who has hit the rookie wall) they could use another scorer. Rykov I've heard good things about, but he just signed a 3 year KHL deal this last summer, so it might be a while until he comes over. If he ever comes over at all.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Perhaps Yzerman should take a pass on this, look at Jack Johnson/Mike Green again....or see if they can get Cody Ceci from the Sens instead....and let the Leafs have Karlsson.... eh, @WordsOfWisdom ?  :ahappy:

Yesssssss!  :lovethis:   The Leafs need him more than the Lightning do in order to elevate the team to legit Cup contender.

However, I'd be worried about the Leafs selling too much of the future to get him. The Leafs have a history of overpaying for everyone. This is the team that paid a #3 defenceman (Phaneuf) #1 money. This is the team that tried to make Phil Kessel the franchise player. This is the team that paid Clarkson a fortune not to play. Naturally the Sens would want to deal with the Leafs. They might wind up with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander!  :(

Granted, they've been making smarter moves under the new regime. :)

My understanding is that Ottawa needs to make the playoffs to be profitable.  This is a problem faced by the small-market Canadian teams--one of the reasons Quebec was out of the mix two years ago.  Nobody likes gutting teams.  But I wonder if this franchise would face the same problem with other owners.  In so many words, I suspect Ottawa will be like Kansas City in MLB--on occasion there will be a great team, but holding all things equal, it might not have the financial capacity to compete with the NY's, Philly's or others. 

Brassard is the perfect 3C for the Pens, in a game that they fall behind, Brassard can move up to the second line and Malkin move to the wing on the first line. It gives the team a lot more flexibility. He has matured a lot over the years since his days in Columbus as a pouting spoiled brat when Hitch didn't play him the way he wanted to play. Best 3C in Pittsburgh since Staal was dealt away.

58 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Hearing Pens deal for Brassard was rejected by the league office. Anyone have details why?

Not sure if this helps much because it isn't overly detailed, but I found this.

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2/23/17045926/derick-brassard-trade-senators-penguins-filip-gustavsson-nhl-rumors-2018

Not sure why the Vegas Knights had to be involved though.

If I am guessing, I would say Brassard got sent to Vegas for who knows what.... the Knights then, as previously agreed behind some seedy door, flip Brassard over to the Pens and receive Ryan Reaves from them and a 4th rounder, whom Pittsburgh originally got from Vancouver.

Meanwhile, the Sens get what they originally were supposed to: G- Gustavsson, Ian Cole, and the Pens' 1st rounder.

But again, I still have no idea why the Knights had to be put into this by the NHL, AND, I am not clear what exactly the Knights gave up to get Reaves and that 4th rounder.

I would have thought if the Knights got Brassard in the interim, they WOULDN'T want to flip him to Pittsburgh.....ahhh, but there is that under the table stuff.... hehe.

EDIT:

After posting the above, I find this...

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-acquire-brassard-in-three-team-trade/c-296285780

Seems to flesh things out a bit more.

Cmon, NHL...what's with all the cloak n dagger stuff....

9 hours ago, nossagog said:

Yikes, a lot of conspiracy thinkers.   Sad that the Pens moved Reaves, he was actually fitting in pretty well. 

I don't think "punching" is really a required skill come playoff time. I'm confident the Pens and Brassard can make up for the lost 8 points he put up this season. The 6 minutes of quality hockey he brought forth on a game to game basis can be spread around as well.

@nossagog

Cups aren't won on paper (remember the boner everyone had over Shattenkirk to the Caps?) but it's hard not to like this deal.

We should thank the NHL as well for helping us go for a three-peat by rejecting the original deal and ultimately making the Pens give up more for this to happen (wink wink).

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think "punching" is really a required skill come playoff time. I'm confident the Pens and Brassard can make up for the lost 8 points he put up this season. The 6 minutes of quality hockey he brought forth on a game to game basis can be spread around as well.

Yeah I know, his time in the playoffs would mostly have been getting Mario coffee in the press box.  At a basic level though, he was a great guy in the locker room and he did his job.  We often look at the player only in terms of what they can do for us, sometimes with a guy like this, you feel bad for him.  Luckily, he's going to Vegas, would have been a shame for him if the three way would have landed him someplace like Buffalo.

16 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yeah I know, his time in the playoffs would mostly have been getting Mario coffee in the press box.  At a basic level though, he was a great guy in the locker room and he did his job.  We often look at the player only in terms of what they can do for us, sometimes with a guy like this, you feel bad for him.  Luckily, he's going to Vegas, would have been a shame for him if the three way would have landed him someplace like Buffalo.

When you've won back to back cups, I doubt you need much help in the locker room...especially from a plug like Reaves.

Funny how Buffalo has gone from being a pretty solid hockey franchise to a complete joke since being taken over by a bazillionaire.

2 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Ryan Reaves is still employed by an NHL team?

Yea.

His role is 2nd Bully Unit where his role is to seek out much smaller players who aren't fighters and just torture them till they cry.

His success rate is pretty high, although every once in a while, one of them bloodies his nose, in which case he moves on to easier prey....

:bigteeth:

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Expect Evander Kane to be traded any minute.  Its coming.  Its a certainty.  Its just a matter of where he goes and what we get for him

Last I heard, Evander was likely West bound........ Anaheim, LA or some such.

Lightning were thought to be interested at one point, but I believe Yzerman's priority this trade deadline is more defenseman than forward...although if he can get BOTH, I think he would.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Last I heard, Evander was likely West bound........ Anaheim, LA or some such.

Lightning were thought to be interested at one point, but I believe Yzerman's priority this trade deadline is more defenseman than forward...although if he can get BOTH, I think he would.

I am telling ya, I would not be surprised if Kane is dealt to Vancouver for Tanev. The Canucks have looong coveted him, he says all the right things about the city which is his hometown, I think he would be a great fit on a line with Boeser and Horvat as protection and providing scoring, kinda like Edmonton was hoping for out of Lucic but eight years younger. Last time Kane was dealt it was a deadline deal between two down and out teams, the Jets and Sabres were out of the race when they did an eight player swap, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened again. 

Word is Dorian is trying to attach the Bobby Ryan contract to Karlsson. Don't know why, that might make Karlsson a negative trade value player. Especially considering that Ryan has three years  left to Karlsson's one.

12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Word is Dorian is trying to attach the Bobby Ryan contract to Karlsson. Don't know why, that might make Karlsson a negative trade value player. Especially considering that Ryan has three years  left to Karlsson's one.

I read this too.

The thinking from the Sens' part is a team could pay LESS overall in prospects/picks for Karlsson if they are willing to take on Bobby Ryan's albatross contract.

Basically, this is a play to attempt to get out from under it....even if it means the return for Karlsson is lessened.

Sorta makes sense, but still, I would think maximizing a Karlsson deal would be their priority.

According to NBC Sports, both Johnny Oduya and Tomas Plekanec are healthy scratches when Oduya's Senators take on the Flyers today, and Plekanec's Habs take on the Lightning tonight.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/02/24/trade-deadline-status-update-plekanec-oduya-scratched-karlsson-plays/

Looks very much like both those guys will be wearing new uniforms, possibly before the weekend is out.

Archived