Game 80: Flyers at Islanders; 4/3/18 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

We have been installed as significant favorites; note play over the last 10 games;

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-new-york-odds-april-3-2018-870894

It's hard to get a good preview on this game, but we might see Thomas Greiss in goal.  On that score, it's hard to believe the Isles have an even lower save percentage than us: .889 versus .904.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/80-flyers-at-islanders-tue-apr-3-2018-7-00-pm-et-msg-2-nbcsp.2471907/

The intangibles here are hard to sort.  We might be flat after yesterday's effort.  The Isles aren't playoff bound and we know they aren't long at Barclays...and may not have Taveres next year.  

Our history is really strong against them in Philly, not so hot on their turf, and this year's match-up has  been an overtime affair:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?New_York_Islanders

On paper, we win.  In practice, I fear a snooze factor.  The starting goaltender decision on our part will be interesting. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Raffl will be back in favour of Laughton, according to Dave Isaac. 

I feel like Laughton was better in the first half of the season, and Lehtera has been better the second half. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

feel like Laughton was better in the first half of the season, and Lehtera has been better the second half. 

I haven't looked at stats but my eye test says Lehtera is a better possession guy, thought Laughton has more speed. Long-term, I really wonder about Laughton....

I have a feeling our bottom lines will be revamped entirely.  Laughton may not pan out that well as a first. I am wondering Weise is a buyout.  I suspect Read is gone, despite playing well.  Thinking about it is a blur. 

I find it to be no coincidence the PK has been much better since Matt Read has been recalled.

He's a smart player, and can still skate okay, his shot, i don't know what the hell happened there but he's been nice since he's been with the big club.

I don't dislike Laughton or his game.  I find him to always be around the puck,  occasionally he gets too cute in the offensive zone,  his game works best when he keeps it simple. I like that he'll hit a guy and that he is a good forechecker. 

I am not ready to pull the plug on him just yet. At the beginning of the year, I liked him Leier and Raffl I thought that was a good 4th line.

Lehtera is a better possession guy, but he's glacially slow, if his line doesn't get possession early in a shift they chase and chase and chase in the d zone. Once he has it he makes good decisions and can grind so what part of that equation does anyone like more ?

Image result for flyers goal vs isles gif

Flyers can clinch a playoff spot today with a win over Isles and a Predator win over Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyers 5-2-3 going for 3 in a row. Away 20-12-8

Isles 2-8-0 lost 2 in a row. Home 17-18-4

PROJECTED LINEUPS

FLYERS 

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds 
12 Michael Raffl - 15 Jori Lehterä - 24 Matt Read

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 6 Travis Sanheim 
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

34 Petr Mrazek
[49 Alex Lyon]

Scratches: 20 Taylor Leier (healthy), 21 Scott Laughton (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 29 Johnny Oduya (healthy), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, core muscle surgery), 30 Michal Neuvirth (lower body).

ISLANDERS 

27 Anders Lee - 91 John Tavares - 7 Jordan Eberle 
72 Anthony Beauvillier - 13 Mathew Barzal - 56 Tanner Fritz
16 Andrew Ladd - 29 Brock Nelson - 15 Cal Clutterbuck
52 Ross Johnston - 10-Alan Quine - 21 Chris Wagner

2 Nick Leddy - 55 Johnny Boychuk
88 Brandon Davidson - 50 Adam Pelech
14 Thomas Hickey - 6 Ryan Pulock

1 Thomas Greiss
[33 Chris Gibson]

Scratches: 4 Dennis Seidenberg (healthy), 11 Shane Price (IR, upper body), 12 Josh Bailey (day-to-day, upper body), 41 Jaroslav Halak (illness), 42 Scott Mayfield (healthy), 44 Calvin de Haan (IR, shoulder surgery), 53 Casey Cizikas (IR, upper body), 86 Nikolay Kulemin (IR, upper body).

Not sure i understand scratching Laughton for Raffl. They need speed. Lehtera is not fast...i guess he is "heavy".....and slow.

Whatever. Matt Read has been impressive in his return. Oh well the new Van develde!!!!!!

Flyers always seem to struggle playing in whatever dumpsters the Islanders have called home. Both teams are inconsistent in goal. This may be one of those last shot wins game and since the Flyers Love to pass rather than shoot, I’m concerned....

Its really hard for me to believe that Hagg and Oduya cant get in the lineup after the game #47 #23 and #3 played on Sunday. They could not be any worse than those 3 guys were against the Bruins. Oh well, life goes on. 

5 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Its really hard for me to believe that Hagg and Oduya cant get in the lineup after the game #47 #23 and #3 played on Sunday. They could not be any worse than those 3 guys were against the Bruins. Oh well, life goes on. 

My hope is if they clinch tonight (praying hard) some guys get some rest and we see Hagg and Oduya as well as Elliott in the remaining games. Get Wiese and Leier in there too.

Here are the two scenarios that will clinch a playoff berth for the Flyers:

• Flyers win of any kind AND Panthers loss of any kind
  • Flyers overtime or shootout loss AND Panthers regulation loss

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

But WHY?

Or is that the joke?

Hak said he was not a fan of the Hagg / Gudas pairing, and by inference, sounds like he doesn't want to split up Sanheim / MacDonald. 

So... Hagg sits for a bit. Maybe try scratching Gudas for a game or two? It's not like Hagg was setting the world on fire.. he was hitting lots and generally responsible defensively, but his metrics aren't great. 

Still, I'd give him a game or two before the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

But WHY?

Or is that the joke?

Brel summed it up...   Hopefully they get him in a few games.   Still not sure how Gudas has escaped the wrath of Hak with his play but we know he loves experience.      

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hak said he was not a fan of the Hagg / Gudas pairing, and by inference, sounds like he doesn't want to split up Sanheim / MacDonald. 

So... Hagg sits for a bit. Maybe try scratching Gudas for a game or two? It's not like Hagg was setting the world on fire.. he was hitting lots and generally responsible defensively, but his metrics aren't great. 

Still, I'd give him a game or two before the end of the season.

Thanks

I don't really like the Gudas Hagg pairing either TBH. 

By metrics you mean analytics? Are they bad? Were his hits actually just a function of poor play?

Archived