Claude GirBooo!

Poulin20

Apparently G has found the reason why they played so poorly at home.  When we the fans are tough on them and begin to boo, they try and do too much.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/claude-giroux-boo-booing-booes-flyers-nhl-playoffs-penguins-wells-fargo-center-fans-20180425.html

As someone who spends a lot of time and money to see these guys in person I am pretty pissed off to hear comments like this.  I guess he didn't hear the "MVP!" chants when he was ripping the Rangers in the last game of the regular season.

Firstly it is a loser mentality to even partially blame the fans, but if you really feel that way, keep it private within the team, keep it out of the media.  But since the cat is out of the bag I would ask him to go and pay top dollar for entertainment he enjoys, and then attend it after a hard day at the rink while fighting excruciating traffic and paying exorbitantly for food only (e.g. $5 for a lousy bottle of water after all drinking fountains were removed) to watch an absolute abortion of a show and see how he feels?  Could he really bring himself to applaud/ cheer for that?

I never thought we would beat the Pens and I had my expectations set before the series even started but there is no way we should have been blitzed that badly at home in any of those games.  The Pens beat us but we did everything in our power to help them. Case in point, we assisted on 5 of the 8 goals they scored in game 6.

I know he is human and I understand how he doesn't like being criticized, I get it, but you are at the top level of your profession, making top dollar and you can't grow a thicker skin and be more mentally tough than that?  I am pretty surprised and very disappointed to hear his comments.

If they threw everything they had at the Pens and just came up short I don't think that we would have been booing.  We would have appreciated the fact that they did everything in their power to win but were just outclassed by a better team.  Rather what I saw was that they gave everything they had only some of the time and for the rest of the time they underachieved and didn't play to their abilities.  Rather than being simply outclassed they were utterly embarrassed and trounced by a better team and that Captain Claude is why we booed you.  We know you could have done better.  I'm not saying you would have won but you could have done better than that. 

BOOOOOOOOOOO! :ph34r:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Apparently G has found the reason why they played so poorly at home.  When we the fans are tough on them and begin to boo, they try and do too much.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/claude-giroux-boo-booing-booes-flyers-nhl-playoffs-penguins-wells-fargo-center-fans-20180425.html

As someone who spends a lot of time and money to see these guys in person I am pretty pissed off to hear comments like this.  I guess he didn't hear the "MVP!" chants when he was ripping the Rangers in the last game of the regular season.

Firstly it is a loser mentality to even partially blame the fans, but if you really feel that way, keep it private within the team, keep it out of the media.  But since the cat is out of the bag I would ask him to go and pay top dollar for entertainment he enjoys, and then attend it after a hard day at the rink while fighting excruciating traffic and paying exorbitantly for food only (e.g. $5 for a lousy bottle of water after all drinking fountains were removed) to watch an absolute abortion of a show and see how he feels?  Could he really bring himself to applaud/ cheer for that?

I never thought we would beat the Pens and I had my expectations set before the series even started but there is no way we should have been blitzed that badly at home in any of those games.  The Pens beat us but we did everything in our power to help them. Case in point, we assisted on 5 of the 8 goals they scored in game 6.

I know he is human and I understand how he doesn't like being criticized, I get it, but you are at the top level of your profession, making top dollar and you can't grow a thicker skin and be more mentally tough than that?  I am pretty surprised and very disappointed to hear his comments.

If they threw everything they had at the Pens and just came up short I don't think that we would have been booing.  We would have appreciated the fact that they did everything in their power to win but were just outclassed by a better team.  Rather what I saw was that they gave everything they had only some of the time and for the rest of the time they underachieved and didn't play to their abilities.  Rather than being simply outclassed they were utterly embarrassed and trounced by a better team and that Captain Claude is why we booed you.  We know you could have done better.  I'm not saying you would have won but you could have done better than that. 

BOOOOOOOOOOO! :ph34r:

Well haven't you seen the reports Philly fans are the ONLY fans who are hard on their team when they aren't playing well. 

Who knew.

Don't want to hear boos?

Don't deserve them.

Couturier mentioned folks yelling shoot on the power play, but adds "you're not creating anything." That's the point, isn't it? Watching a bad power play - AGAIN - isn't going to assuage folks. Getting NOTHING from 90 seconds of crucial 4 on 3 isn't going to go over well.

And the last line in the article is spot on. The MVP candidate has ONE playoff goal in the past THREE years and FOUR whole points in his past TWELVE playoff games.

That's a giant, gaping hole on his resume as Captain.

Don't like it? Go fix it.

Because telling fans forking over hard earned money that it's "hard" to earn your $8+ million dollars don't cut it.

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Don't want to hear boos?

Don't deserve them.

Couturier mentioned folks yelling shoot on the power play, but adds "you're not creating anything." That's the point, isn't it? Watching a bad power play - AGAIN - isn't going to assuage folks. Getting NOTHING from 90 seconds of crucial 4 on 3 isn't going to go over well.

And the last line in the article is spot on. The MVP candidate has ONE playoff goal in the past THREE years and FOUR whole points in his past TWELVE playoff games.

That's a giant, gaping hole on his resume as Captain.

Don't like it? Go fix it.

Because telling fans forking over hard earned money that it's "hard" to earn your $8+ million dollars don't cut it.

Spot on nothing else to add....i ain't got time to even listen to that weak sh it!!!!!!

Find any devoted hockey fase base that would be happy with their performance and i will show you a bunch of FOOLS!!!!!1

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

-Theodore Roosevelt 

I wonder if the Canadian ever read or heard of this quote ?

Could be helpful for coping with criticism. 

People can be pissed and boo, but I've never ever seen that behavior motivate anyone to improve.

The demanding asshole coach and boss never got my best effort.  Succeeding to spite those guys was an empty endeavor.

I learned early on with my dog as a  young person, the heavy hand didn't get the result, all it did was make the animal cower from me.

You pay your money, short of disrupting the game and/or making the experience harmful or dangerous for those around you, do what you wish.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

People can be pissed and boo, but I've never ever seen that behavior motivate anyone to improve.

The demanding asshole coach and boss never got my best effort.  Succeeding to spite those guys was an empty endeavor.

I get this - I do - and I concur that it can sometimes be counterproductive.

But as a professional athlete who is making upwards of $8M and wears the mark of the leader of his club, he's simply got to be better than that. He's got to motivate himself and he's got to motivate others.

If he's sitting there letting FANS get under his skin, what else gets under his skin on the ice?

It certainly wasn't Philly fans booing that got him a -4 with one shot and no hits in Game 1. And it wasn't the mean fans in Philadelphia that saw him put up no points, -1 when they lost the first two games in Washington in 2015.

They were likely to be a factor in his one shot, -1 in Game three that year (a 6-1 loss). But they somehow overcame the adversity of playing at home in the 2-1 win in Game 4.

I love the TR quote, too, but there is also the old addage that if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

But as a professional athlete who is making upwards of $8M and wears the mark of the leader of his club, he's simply got to be better than that. He's got to motivate himself and he's got to motivate others.

This goes double when you're wearing the "C".

@radoran

Those are fair criticisms. His line and he, in particular, was largely ineffective vs the Pens.

In the Simmonds thread, I brought up the possibility that there may be a cultural difference with him too.

...I remember a couple of years ago when he was asked about his wrists having casts, and he answered "Crosby did it".... well, Crosby did do it. 

He doesn't strike me as a guy that would bring the booing up but would answer directly that he didn't like it. Truly I don't mind if that's how this quote came about.  I prefer direct as opposed to cliche. 

I don't know the guy but I get the impression he doesn't always filter his thoughts.

It would be a shame imo if he were to wind up reviled in a similar fashion to Michael Jack Schmidt. It seems as though that's where his tenure is heading, especially after this quote hit the wire.

The good news is we have a lot of young talent coming up who could take over the responsibility of wearing that "C."  After watching Provorov's interview after game 6 of this series, I'd love to see him captain this team at some point.  I think he has the mental strength to be a good leader -- the example on the ice he sets is phenomenal.  

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

It would be a shame imo if he were to wind up reviled in a similar fashion to Michael Jack Schmidt. It seems as though that's where his tenure is heading, especially after this quote hit the wire.

Schmitty took his lumps during his career, but he would up winning a Championship and is a fairly beloved figure in Philly to this day.

He was also MVP of the 1980 World Series. And voted - by the fans - greatest player in the history of the organization in 1983.

We can only hope Giroux is as reviled.

1 minute ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

The good news is we have a lot of young talent coming up who could take over the responsibility of wearing that "C."  After watching Provorov's interview after game 6 of this series, I'd love to see him captain this team at some point.  I think he has the mental strength to be a good leader -- the example on the ice he sets is phenomenal.  

I think he's going to be an A to Couturier's eventual C...

27 minutes ago, radoran said:

Schmitty took his lumps during his career, but he would up winning a Championship and is a fairly beloved figure in Philly to this day.

He was also MVP of the 1980 World Series. And voted - by the fans - greatest player in the history of the organization in 1983.

We can only hope Giroux is as reviled.

All of that is true about Schmitty, but he was treated mercilessly before, during, and after.   It's an odd relationship, as mojo said.   I know it's not entirely unique to Philly, but we Philadelphians do tend to think a God-ordained right to boo about almost anything at any moment.   Someone scores 4 goals or gets a triple double or 2 grand slams or 3 touchdowns in a game but bumbles something later, it's BOOOOOO.

Ask Ryan Howard.

(The rest isn't directed at you, rad.  It's just ramblings)

These guys are human.   I get that it can affect them.  I know they make a boatload of money, but it doesn't have to change their humanity.  But don't SAY it.   Even when it's painfully and obviously true.

I think a lot of teams play differently at home than away and it can swing both ways.   We as fans get off on it when someone in postgame says "yeah, the fans were really behind us.  They were the 12th man and really made a difference!  We couldn't have won without them!"   Somehow, the fans made a damn bit of difference when it went well but we're horrified and balk when the opposite is also true.  "They should be bigger than that!  They're making $Xm!!!"

Well, pick one.   Either it's not true in either case or it's true in both.   It cannot be one or the other. 

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All of that is true about Schmitty, but he was treated mercilessly before, during, and after.   It's an odd relationship, as mojo said.   I know it's not entirely unique to Philly, but we Philadelphians do tend to think a God-ordained right to boo about almost anything at any moment.   Someone scores 4 goals or gets a triple double or 2 grand slams or 3 touchdowns in a game but bumbles something later, it's BOOOOOO.

Ask Ryan Howard.

(The rest isn't directed at you, rad.  It's just ramblings)

These guys are human.   I get that it can affect them.  I know they make a boatload of money, but it doesn't have to change their humanity.  But don't SAY it.   Even when it's painfully and obviously true.

I think a lot of teams play differently at home than away and it can swing both ways.   We as fans get off on it when someone in postgame says "yeah, the fans were really behind us.  They were the 12th man and really made a difference!  We couldn't have won without them!"   Somehow, the fans made a damn bit of difference when it went well but we're horrified and balk when the opposite is also true.  "They should be bigger than that!  They're making $Xm!!!"

Well, pick one.   Either it's not true in either case or it's true in both.   It cannot be one or the other. 

If I pay front row seat money to go to a game, I have the right to boo my arse off if they play like crap in a meaningful game. These players are pros, and have to be able to have thick skin and block it out. It's that simple. 

56 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

there may be a cultural difference with him too.

I actually agree with your assessment, but I have to ask: What cultural differences are you referring to? 

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

If I pay front row seat money to go to a game, I have the right to boo my arse off if they play like crap in a meaningful game

I have no problem with that.   I agree.  But the point was, don't get all warm and fuzzy when they say the fans had a damn thing to do with a win unless you're willing to also accept that your exercising your right to boo can have a negative effect.

But for the love of God, Giroux, don't SAY it!  You're the captain; part of that is having the brains to play politics.

One more post, because Giroux's comments about fans booing really irked me. Nothing he has done has come close to irking me like this, in fact. Do you think Bobby Clarke would have complained, Claude? Hell no. He would have said something akin to "We have to work harder and get much better." Take a page out of his book, Claude.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I have no problem with that.   I agree.  But the point was, don't get all warm and fuzzy when they say the fans had a damn thing to do with a win unless you're willing to also accept that your exercising your right to boo can have a negative effect.

But for the love of God, Giroux, don't SAY it!  You're the captain; part of that is having the brains to play politics.

It can, but they deserved to be booed, by the way they were playing. Especially when some tickets aren't exactly cheap.

Just now, FD19372 said:

It can, but they deserved to be booed, by the way they were playing. Especially when some tickets aren't exactly cheap.

That's fine.  So long as you don't think you're arguing any point I've made.

Just now, Pucked in the head said:

Clarke would have came out and taken the game over..... Not why are they booing me ??? He sounds like that bitch Cindy when she doesn't get a call.....

Right.

And at the very least, Clarke wouldn't have had a microphone in front of him and said, "they were booing me. It hurt all the way  to my ovaries."

Archived