Claude GirBooo!

Poulin20

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vis said:

I really don’t think there’s much to be outraged at this quote and I bet much more is being made of this than what Giroux actually means in his response.  

Nowhere does he say the booing hurts them in the sense that it is upsetting or unsettling for them.  He doesn’t say anything about wishing fans would stop.  What he’s saying is the exact opposite: “We hear the boos and we try to respond by pleasing the fans.”  He takes no issue with the booing. In fact, he says the opposite: the team reacts in a way that it feels the fans want them to.  Isn’t that what fans want to accomplish by booing?  The problem, according to Giroux, is the team’s reaction to the booing and then trying to please too much.  Not the fact that the booing is happening or that it hurts their feelings.  Nowhere does he say the booing is demoralizing.  Actually, it has the opposite effect: they try to please the fans, but, in doing so, they get away from playing their game and it hurts them.  Maybe guys go for a big hit, or try to make a play that isn’t there.  That’s the way I read his answer, which I think is responsive to the last two questions not the first two.  I don’t read it as criticism of the fans, but rather of the team’s lack of discipline.  

What am am I missing?

I agree that Hayes' spin is the real issue here. He makes it into what he wants to generate the controversy.

Again, though, it's the Captain's job, from where I sit, to make sure what he's talking about doesn't happen.

And it really doesn't help to say you feel more comfortable on the road than playing in front of your own fans - which he pretty much does say.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?? Philly media stirring the pot??? NEVER!!!!!1

Even *if* Giroux did criticize the fans, wouldn't those fans who are upset by it be the ones with the thin-skin? They can dish it out but can't take it? 

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

I agree that Hayes' spin is the real issue here. He makes it into what he wants to generate the controversy.

Agree.  That headline is so misleading.  Clickbait city.

Again, though, it's the Captain's job, from where I sit, to make sure what he's talking about doesn't happen.

Agree.  For that he should be accountable.  

And it really doesn't help to say you feel more comfortable on the road than playing in front of your own fans - which he pretty much does say.

Well, again, I think he's saying they stay within the game on the road instead of trying to do too much at home.  I get that.  Not an issue with me.

18 minutes ago, brelic said:

Even *if* Giroux did criticize the fans, wouldn't those fans who are upset by it be the ones with the thin-skin? They can dish it out but can't take it? 

Perfect tweet.

Though I disagree a bit with your sentiment above.

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

I guess at the end of the day they paid their hard earned bucks to take the time to go to and watch the game (who also pay their pay checks) so they have the right to complain for a below average performance....so he needs to take it with a grain of salt...it's Philly they are going to let you know.

They can love as hard as they can hate!

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess at the end of the day they paid their hard earned bucks to take the time to go to and watch the game (who also pay their pay checks) so they have the right to complain for a below average performance....so he needs to take it with a grain of salt...it's Philly they are going to let you know.

They can love as hard as they can hate!

Agreed they can boo if they want to. But disagree that G needs to take it with a grain of salt. He doesn't need to do anything. He will take it the way he wants to take it, and if fans don't like it, or him, that's their prerogative, of course. 

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

Agreed they can boo if they want to. But disagree that G needs to take it with a grain of salt. He doesn't need to do anything. He will take it the way he wants to take it, and if fans don't like it, or him, that's their prerogative, of course. 

Sorry i have nothing else to say on the matter for i care not either way.

11 hours ago, radoran said:

Not that you were saying but, I'm certainly not jealous of salary. Undoubtedly there are people who are. 

That comment was not directed toward you specifically but to a point you brought up.

Also, I don't lump you into the group of clown shoe fans who scream shoot for 1;45 on a power play either, I know you want the Flyers to win.

@flyer4ever

Didn't Giroux actually make a name for himself in the playoffs? specifically against the Pens, first as a rookie killing a penalty by himself without a stick and later "the shift".

He was on better teams top to bottom those years, I suspect when this team gets better he'll magically "reappear". He's a great player but even #87 could be beaten when the rest of his team wasn't very good.

52 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Didn't Giroux actually make a name for himself in the playoffs? specifically against the Pens, first as a rookie killing a penalty by himself without a stick and later "the shift".

He had 55 points in his first 50 playoff games. He holds the team record for most points in a playoff game - 6.

Given a better supporting cast, he just might have a breakout playoff.

He just needs to go out and DO it.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Spot on nothing else to add....i ain't got time to even listen to that weak sh it!!!!!!

Find any devoted hockey fase base that would be happy with their performance and i will show you a bunch of FOOLS!!!!!1

19 hours ago, FD19372 said:

One more post, because Giroux's comments about fans booing really irked me. Nothing he has done has come close to irking me like this, in fact. Do you think Bobby Clarke would have complained, Claude? Hell no. He would have said something akin to "We have to work harder and get much better." Take a page out of his book, Claude.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, Poulin20 said:

Apparently G has found the reason why they played so poorly at home.  When we the fans are tough on them and begin to boo, they try and do too much.  

BOOOOOOOOOOO! :ph34r:

Guys guys guys... I think y'all gotta calm down and reread the thing.  

He was specifically asked if the tough crowd affected them.

He didn't say aw they made me cry.  He didn't say Aw they hurt my self esteem.  He didn't say Aw we didn't deserve that.  He said,  IT MAKES US TRY TOO HARD.  

That's it.  He said the BOOS! or the SHOOTS!  make them think they'd better do something different than run their system... which in case you haven't noticed, isn't SPEED based.  It's a slow the game down kind of system. 

Claude's not even saying people shouldn't boo or they didn't deserve the boos.  And he's certainly not saying to excuse himself.  He was asked a specific question about the crowd booing affecting them and he explained with apparently far too much nuance for our fans the way in which he could see that being possible and I think what he says suggests they mentally respond to the book EXACTLY the way you'd want them to... but trying harder.  But what he's saying is that isn't necessarily the thing they needed to do to fair better.  They needed to execute better which is what Peg Leg Sean managed to do in games 5 and 6 to an astounding degree, but adrenaline alone especially shame driven adrenaline lead some of the rest of them to try to force plays they shouldn't have and they paid for it.

And if Clarke was playing today, he'd be shattering his carbon fiber sticks on ankles every other shift and sitting 10 minutes a game.  It's a different time. 

I'm not saying Claude did okay.  Their best guys showed up and Our best guys disappeared.

That's not okay.

I'm not so worried about his "history" because the last playoff series he played in, he was apparently suffering from a pretty hampering injury that required surgery and a full year to recover from.  This year however, his coach was out coached and he was outplayed and his goalies were atrocious... and somehow it's only by profound act of referee that the series didn't go to 7 games.  

I don't think there's a problem with Claude or Jake in the playoffs per se  I think Sullivan is just THAT much better than Hakstol and put his excellent players in a position to completely OWN our excellent players.  The main reason I think this is because when Coots got hurt and they put him on the third line, he was AMAZING without Giroux and with only one good leg. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

He had 55 points in his first 50 playoff games. He holds the team record for most points in a playoff game - 6.

Given a better supporting cast, he just might have a breakout playoff.

He just needs to go out and DO it.

Yeah, Giroux's fine.  I think this is literally a Conditioned Response.  PLayer is asked about the fans... player says something besides "I let them down" or "they're the greatest in the WORLD" and the Philly Faithful go BONKERS.   

He didn't say anything bad about the fans.  

To me this series wasn't even about the supporting cast.  It was all about Sullivan being an excellent coach with excellent pieces and Hakstol being a fairly mediocre at best coach with some good and some bad pieces.  

Sullivan had Giroux and Jake's number.  His top two lines shut ours down and ours were powerless to stop theirs.   In the first 5 games this had more to do with the goalies being absolutely atrocious than the Flyers giving up amazing chances (even in game 5 Neuvy made great saves, but gave up two amazingly bad goals).  But the long and short is The Penguins were more prepared and ready to roll and the Flyers weren't.  

"Peg Leg" Sean Couturier  moves to the third line and he's not playing against the top 2 defensively?  He scores like an animal despite being without Giroux and playing on a bad leg. If the Flyers bottom 6 had been better or more healthy in the case of Simmonds, I think this series would have been more interesting... but with the goalies playing like they were (aka hurt) things weren't going far no matter what.  

The long and short of it for me is that Hextall can keep things close to the chest as much as he wants, and I have supported most of his moves, but he really REALLY needs to start giving us some clue as to WHAT HE IS THINKING with this coaching staff.  Because even with the injuries and the lop sided losses, this team was a bad non-call away from taking the clearly much more prepared and healthy penguins to 7 games.  

They lost EVERY HOME GAME-the ones in which they had the matchup advantage.  BY A LOT.  That sir, is bad BAD BAD coaching.  

I do not hate Hakstol's systems by and large (though if he's the one telling the D what to do, he should be fired yesterday) but he simply does not have the savvy and gamesmanship to win at this level.  It's JUST NOT THERE and someone needs to explain to me and the rest of us WHY THAT IS OKAY. 

Giroux saying what he did about us isn't an insult.  Hextall saying the coaching staff isn't changing and offering no further explanation?  THAT is the insult.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Guys guys guys... I think y'all gotta calm down and reread the thing.  

He was specifically asked if the tough crowd affected them.

He didn't say aw they made me cry.  He didn't say Aw they hurt my self esteem.  He didn't say Aw we didn't deserve that.  He said,  IT MAKES US TRY TOO HARD.  

That's it.  He said the BOOS! or the SHOOTS!  make them think they'd better do something different than run their system... which in case you haven't noticed, isn't SPEED based.  It's a slow the game down kind of system. 

Claude's not even saying people shouldn't boo or they didn't deserve the boos.  And he's certainly not saying to excuse himself.  He was asked a specific question about the crowd booing affecting them and he explained with apparently far too much nuance for our fans the way in which he could see that being possible and I think what he says suggests they mentally respond to the book EXACTLY the way you'd want them to... but trying harder.  But what he's saying is that isn't necessarily the thing they needed to do to fair better.  They needed to execute better which is what Peg Leg Sean managed to do in games 5 and 6 to an astounding degree, but adrenaline alone especially shame driven adrenaline lead some of the rest of them to try to force plays they shouldn't have and they paid for it.

And if Clarke was playing today, he'd be shattering his carbon fiber sticks on ankles every other shift and sitting 10 minutes a game.  It's a different time. 

I'm not saying Claude did okay.  Their best guys showed up and Our best guys disappeared.

That's not okay.

I'm not so worried about his "history" because the last playoff series he played in, he was apparently suffering from a pretty hampering injury that required surgery and a full year to recover from.  This year however, his coach was out coached and he was outplayed and his goalies were atrocious... and somehow it's only by profound act of referee that the series didn't go to 7 games.  

I don't think there's a problem with Claude or Jake in the playoffs per se  I think Sullivan is just THAT much better than Hakstol and put his excellent players in a position to completely OWN our excellent players.  The main reason I think this is because when Coots got hurt and they put him on the third line, he was AMAZING without Giroux and with only one good leg. 

No. Really I don't care.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, ruxpin said:

Yes.

I suppose, but I don't know.  I don't care if people do.  I'm not trying to say they shouldn't or they don't have the right or any of that.  And if they're playing really poorly, it's tough to get a crowd to "pep" rather than respond with deserved disapproval.

I think yes, it's both.  I do think a raucous crowd in support can drive a team forward.  That's why you play for home ice, home field, home court, whatever.   Whether than raucous crowd support or booing, it really originates with the team, right?   I mean, even in a 5-0 loss, the WFC started out with cheering...until cheering was no longer an honest response.

The Sixers are doing well right now.  You can see them feed off the crowd, but you can see them spurring the crowd on, too.  It's a give and take between team and crowd.    Both ways, as you said.

If they're doing poorly or even not up to expectation, by all means boo.  As @FD19372 said, you paid a lot of money to be there.  If you feel like they're not even attempting to deliver product, go ahead and express disapproval.   You'd tell the server the food isn't right.  Tell the team.  That's all you can do.

I think it's the "you can't let it bother you!" that I was responding to.   Because if they're not supposed to notice, why bother with the effort of booing?   And if they're quick in acknowledging how cheering helped them win, I think it's just a little funny that we think booing doesn't affect the other way.

Okay I understand were you are coming from now.

I agree with everything you said especially the relationship at the moment between the Sixers and the fan base "arena".

I also agree with FD19372, they should suck it up, they are getting paid a lot of money to do what they do.

God I Pray NHLers are not turning into the snowflakes that there NFL, NBA, and MLB counterparts that have and are turning into.

21 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

I also agree with FD19372, they should suck it up, they are getting paid a lot of money to do what they do.

Yeah, I agree with this, too. 

After reading the thread, I'm with those who think Giroux wasn't disagreeing with this or even whining about it. He was just saying it made them leave their game to try to do more and that response was ultimately counter-productive. I don't think it was meant as "whaa, they're booing us!" 

Other players in Philly on other teams have done that and, you're right:  suck it up. 

6 hours ago, King Knut said:

He didn't say anything bad about the fans.  

He didn't really say anything bad about the fans. He said something worrisome about the team - which is that they rabbit ear at home and tighten up.

That's not good. That's what team leadership is supposed to overcome.

He points out that the team plays their game and system on the road, but doesn't do that when faced with adversity at home.

Why not?

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

After reading the thread, I'm with those who think Giroux wasn't disagreeing with this or even whining about it. He was just saying it made them leave their game to try to do more and that response was ultimately counter-productive. I don't think it was meant as "whaa, they're booing us!" 

I finally heard the actual audio of the interview on the drive home today. It does come off that way - that it's not a "waaa, they boo me" thing.

It's a "we change our game when we get booed" and that's just distressing.

And I totally believe that they need to stop.

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm with those who think Giroux wasn't disagreeing with this or even whining about it. He was just saying it made them leave their game to try to do more and that response was ultimately counter-productive. I don't think it was meant as "whaa, they're booing us!" 

I Pray that is the case and coming from Giroux I would imagine that is definitely what it is. Giroux isn't soft nor a snowflake so that is why it sounded so alien to all of us id imagine.

Also like I said sometimes instead of the fans booing until there blue in the face, they should instead do "Let's go Flyers" chants to try and get them back in the game. Key word though is "Sometimes"

Archived