JVR back to Philly

I don't think the knee-jerk that this means Simmonds is gone is necessarily merited.   It could because of cap reasons, but it's not like they play the same role or position.   If JVR is $7M, though, it's going to make things tough (but not impossible) down the road.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Blech

Hard to describe how much I hate this signing.

WTF.....this has shaken my faith in Hextall. Where is the patience, waiting for Frost and ALL the other prospects to develop?? This signing will inevitably block the way for some rising star. I realize goals are hard to come by in today's NHL, but this sucks.  This reeks like a Homer signing if anything. Let's overpay for the shiny new toy until he's in his mid 30's.....pffft. 

Not a real big fan of JVR.  I generally agree with @jammer2's thoughts above.  Don't like the term.

Wonder if the Flyers sign Bozak next.  Might as well grab Komarov as well.  Polak is a RD, iirc as well.  

3 minutes ago, vis said:

Wonder if the Flyers sign Bozak next.  Might as well grab Komarov as well.  Polak is a RD, iirc as well.  

I LITERALLY just threw up in my mouth at the very thought of this ghastly group of misfits. Bozek is the only worth anything, and way to much tread on his tires. Smart teams don't sign old 3rd line centers, they develop their own. 

and yes....my sarcasm detector is working....lol.

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

his has shaken my faith in Hextall.

well, considering Hextall's prior non-draft day moves, i didn't have a lot of faith in him anyway.

Just now, jammer2 said:

I LITERALLY just threw up in my mouth at the very thought of this ghastly group of misfits. Bozek is the only worth anything, and way to much tread on his tires. Smart teams don't sign old 3rd line centers, they develop their own. 

Depends on what Bozak wants.  Agree term would be the issue.

Kidding on the other two.  Was just going with the theme...

4 minutes ago, vis said:

Depends on what Bozak wants.  Agree term would be the issue.

Kidding on the other two.  Was just going with the theme...

Knew you kidding, thus the edit at the same time as this post....lol. You're a smart dude, no smart guy wants Roman friggin Polak on his team.....LOL!

30 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Both JVR and Simmer have duplicate roles. In front of the net on the top pp. Which ever one does not get that spot, their production will suffer, prob around 30%....so trading Wayne makes sense from where I sit. 

See, I disagree with this.  First, Simmonds was already on the 2nd PP unit.   Patrick had largely taken his role on the first over the last 15-20 games. 

Maybe JVR takes Patrick's top PP spot and you have a second line unit with Patrick, Simmonds, and Konecny.   I agree that now you have three players that like to play near the net, but you also have three that are willing to dig in the corner and cycle.  Since everything is coming from the point anyway, it may not be horrible to crowd the front.

I'm okay with the signing if it's for only 5 years.  It gets him to 34, but that's it.   It drops Ratcliffe down to 3rd line and Farabee probably isn't ready until the 3rd year of the contract, if not 4th.  At that point when Farabee comes up you can start sliding JVR down or start thinking about moving him out for something.  I don't know what wing Frost slides out to, but I'd rather keep him at center anyway.  If it's $7M, it's a little bit cost-prohibitive but not necessarily horrible.   If he can keep scoring in the mid-30s for a couple years it's not a disaster--and this is coming from someone who's never been a huge fan.

I think 3C should have been a bigger priority, though.   We'll see what tomorrow and the rest of the week brings.  I'm hoping if we go get a 3C that the term isn't long because we already will need to make room in 3-4 years for Coots, Patrick, Frost, O'Brien, and Rubtsov.    Someone needs to swing to wing or Los Angeles.

So last season Fillpula, Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Weise, Lehtera,Lindblom,Leier, Read scored 53 goals and were paid approx 18.8 million dollars. JVR will earn $7 million next season and scored 36 goals last year. I don't see how this signing hurts when I do the math. The cap space is there. Nobody in LV is going to score 36 goals next year, and Hexy knows it.  I think 40 is easily doable for JVR next year. If this does happen I'm sure Hexy did his due diligence and believes JVR is more mature and will be a more consistent player.  I also think he suffers from Frank Mahovlich syndrome. (for you young guys he played in the 60's and 70's. He was big and SO good at times it appeared he wasn't trying yet he scored 40 goals every year). Only time will tell. Hope it works out. I like the signing. Maybe with another scorer Giroux won't be a ghost in the playoffs next time.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Yep, that is what I was thinking.

JVR coming back is trying to channel his inner Nick Foles....

...I see a Cup being hoisted and MVP in his future....

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR coming back is trying to channel his inner Nick Foles....

...I see a Cup being hoisted and MVP in his future....

There is a better chance Bundy comes of retirement and takes that Conn Smythe. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

See, I disagree with this.  First, Simmonds was already on the 2nd PP unit.   Patrick had largely taken his role on the first over the last 15-20 games. 

Maybe JVR takes Patrick's top PP spot and you have a second line unit with Patrick, Simmonds, and Konecny.   I agree that now you have three players that like to play near the net, but you also have three that are willing to dig in the corner and cycle.  Since everything is coming from the point anyway, it may not be horrible to crowd the front.

I'm okay with the signing if it's for only 5 years.  It gets him to 34, but that's it.   It drops Ratcliffe down to 3rd line and Farabee probably isn't ready until the 3rd year of the contract, if not 4th.  At that point when Farabee comes up you can start sliding JVR down or start thinking about moving him out for something.  I don't know what wing Frost slides out to, but I'd rather keep him at center anyway.  If it's $7M, it's a little bit cost-prohibitive but not necessarily horrible.   If he can keep scoring in the mid-30s for a couple years it's not a disaster--and this is coming from someone who's never been a huge fan.

I think 3C should have been a bigger priority, though.   We'll see what tomorrow and the rest of the week brings.  I'm hoping if we go get a 3C that the term isn't long because we already will need to make room in 3-4 years for Coots, Patrick, Frost, O'Brien, and Rubtsov.    Someone needs to swing to wing or Los Angeles.

o

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Unless the Flyers trade Simmer this summer, the goal will be to convince the league that last season was a fluke, injury prone campaign. Having Simmer on pp2 is not the way to fetch the most for your asset. However, they have seem to boxed themselves in to that spot.

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Of all people. I'm just shaking my head. Now that it's a probability, Hextall better hit a home run on the Simmonds trade. Wow, I'm stunned.

Thought we are going to be going younger? 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the deal or the player at all. Would prefer 1 million or 1 year less, but considering Kane got 7x7 and the rising cap, not bad. 

He's a very good even strength scorer, 6th in the league at 5v5 goals/60 and 9th in goal total with 23 - while on the third line. And while he might not be a great defensive player, he led the Leafs in 5v5 goals for percentage and was 4th in CF%, so he plays on the right side of the ice most of the time - even though he spent most of the season away from the young guns. He's a top 6 LW, which gives the Flyers some options. They could conceivably shift Giroux back to center and sign a bottom 6 LW if the center market dries up, or even start Frost at 3LW if he looks ready, but not ready to center a line. 

He pushes depth down the lineup. You're almost assuredly looking at Weal, Laughton, Raffl, Lehtera, Weise on the 4th line or out of the lineup entirely. AND he's a great candidate to leave exposed during expansion as something shiny for Seattle to grab over one of the youngins on D.

ETA: He had the second most 5v5 goals on the team in the 3rd fewest minutes per game.

25 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the deal or the player at all

I'm with you.

I have sobered up this morning and thought about it.

And well....it could work maybe. They need a scorer. He can score.

Is his game perfect??

No but there are a few on this team who can do better...i won't call no names this morning. 

I do hope he can help win some games.

And i also understand many here who are not happy with it.

I guess we'll see if Hextall has rolled the dice better in free agency than he did with Wiese.

Maybe the 3rd line center is already in town said yesterday he is up to 184.....

...HHHHHhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

So now the biggest question do Simmer get traded now.....or at the deadline??

Archived