Home Opener Tomorrow!

sekkes85

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Before anybody "attacks" me for my last comment, the Flyers had way more problems than Elliott tonight. He actually wasn't that bad. Bad, but not that bad.

48 shots on Elliot tonight.  

no defense

52 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Elliott shows flashes of excellence with stretches of sieve. 

In other words he is in mid season form.

I knew the goalie was going to bite them in the ass.

8 goals on 48 shots...............unreal.

Wow! The was ugly! Lots of blame all around. I thought Ghost and Laughton looked alright. The rest of the team just appeared to quit when they were four goals down. After three years of coaching in the NHL, I'm just not seeing Hakstoll's  to manage the game improve. After three goals, use a time out, pul Elliot, do something! It's early, but this was really ugly. I hope they rebound tomorrow.

38 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

But I saw a team that was getting run through. 

Well if you are tuning into other games with them no longer being able to clutch and grab it happens to the other teams too.

But at some point the goalie has to make some saves on the shots that get through....it is his job.

Now i also won't sit here and say i watched the whole game.

However what i saw early in the game the Flyers were taking it to the Sharks and they get a shot it goes in and then another goes in...i mean damn bro make a f**king save....anyways i knew the goalie was going to be an issue because it is pretty much the same thing from last year.

I'm glad i haven't renewed my gamecenter deal this year and i might wait till mid season if i even do.

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Before anybody "attacks" me for my last comment, the Flyers had way more problems than Elliott tonight. He actually wasn't that bad. Bad, but not that bad.

I hope you're right and i'm over reacting....because i didn't see the whole thing and after seeing the final score i am glad i listened to my instincts and took care of some honey do list stuff.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope you're right and i'm over reacting....because i didn't see the whole thing and after seeing the final score i am glad i listened to my instincts and took care of some honey do list stuff.

Watching Gritty was the highlight of the game. He should have been the #1 star, if you don't count almost everyone on the Sharks roster.

39 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Watching Gritty was the highlight of the game. He should have been the #1 star, if you don't count almost everyone on the Sharks roster.

It was the worst home opening loss since the 7-0 drubbing to the LA Kings in 1971.

The year I was born.

Wow.

54 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I heard several “we want Gritty” chants today during the game!  There was also a guy in my section calling Lehtera, “drug kingpin”.

“We sucked. It’s what it is. I feel so (expletive) bad for Moose right now,” Shayne Gostisbehere said. “We left him out to dry. He was our best player tonight. It could have been 8-0 after the first. It’s ridiculous. Some of us really have to look in the mirror on this team. We just gotta respond tomorrow. You leave a guy out to dry like that, it’s really not fair.”

What I saw was an undisciplined team (if you could call it a team). They lack any cohesion and the ability to play team defense. I do not know how anyone can blame Elliott for all those goals. That defense left him out to dry for the 1st period.

This so called team lacks heart, composure and cohesion. Either the coaching needs to change, or the style of play, or the players. Maybe its all three. You have had pretty much the same core players and the same problems for 3 coaches now. These players simply do not mesh well together. Someone or something needs to light a fire under their lazy asses.

I still have hope they can wake up and make the changes that are needed. 

That game was a complete dumpster fire.  Right before the first goal we were looking great and then everything just fell apart.  The complete lack of team defense and blown coverage was horrendous.  Elliott definitely let in some softies but also had some good saves and didn't get much help from anyone.  The part that really pissed me off the most was nobody seemed to get angry that they were getting embarrassed so bad during their home opener.  Hopefully the game in Ottawa tonight can give them a little confidence and swagger back.

On a positive note the renovations in the Mezzanine level looked great.  My only gripe was there seemed to just be the same concessions spread out instead of more of a variety.  Having a janitor in every bathroom was nice too and were probably the cleanest I've ever seen.  

Anyone else sitting in the Mezzanine, did the seats seem even smaller than before?  I'm not a big guy by any stretch and it seemed tight, I can't even imagine being a larger fella (or lady) and trying to sit in those things as I was extremely uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, Ares2420 said:

What I saw was an undisciplined team (if you could call it a team). They lack any cohesion and the ability to play team defense. I do not know how anyone can blame Elliott for all those goals. That defense left him out to dry for the 1st period.

This so called team lacks heart, composure and cohesion. Either the coaching needs to change, or the style of play, or the players. Maybe its all three. You have had pretty much the same core players and the same problems for 3 coaches now. These players simply do not mesh well together. Someone or something needs to light a fire under their lazy asses.

I still have hope they can wake up and make the changes that are needed. 

Good first post.  

The first goal was all on Elliot.  From outside the dot you don't let a goal in 5 hole.  And that was the back-breaker.  This is what has happened with Elliot for at least the last two years.   He lets the back-breakers in but then stands on his head for the rest of the game.  People praise him for the 2nd part but forget the 1st.   

Flyers started great and were up on their toes, winning pucks until that goal went in.   Then 8 seconds later, he lets up that huge rebound and it's 2-0.  The second goal wasn't completely on Elliot but he played a part.  Now it's 2-0 and the energy the team had is gone.  The crowd is out of it and the game is effectively over.   The only chance to get it back under control should have came in the form of a time-out or goalie change.   But for whatever reason, Hak decides not to.  Maybe he forgot that he has a timeout to use.  Who knows. 

So in the end I blame Elliot for the first and most important one.  Then after that part of the 2nd goal was on him.   After that who cares.   

The good thing is that it's only the third game of the season and they only have to win tonight to be .500 which is a good place to be considering how ****** they played the first 3 games.

A few observations from last night's game...

- The outcome was brutal. Losing 8-2 on your home ice opener is embarrassing any way you slice it. BUT, it's one game. The Bruins got shellacked 7-0 in their season opener. It happens. Flyers need to move on quickly. 

- Really, there weren't a lot of positives from the game. The Flyers did have good pressure early on and definitely got their chances throughout the game, but just didn't capitalize. Provorov's early turnover set the tone. Elliott definitely could have stopped that puck for a momentum save - but it was a 3-on-1. Good teams bury those chances, and the Sharks did.

- Speaking of Provorov, he's looked shaky so far this season. A combination of high skill defensive plays followed by uncharacteristic low-IQ mistakes. 

- It was nice to see Sanheim out on PP2 in place of Provorov on the last 2 powerplays. He looked noticeably better and more comfortable (dynamic) than Provorov. I'd like to see more of this. 

- Flyers allowed WAY too many odd-man rushes. And another SH goal. Two in three games. Not a good trend. 

- I felt Hakstol should have started Pickard in the 2nd. With the team already down 4-0, it was a great opportunity to shake the team up, and also for Pickard to get his feet wet with his new team in a low-pressure situation (i.e. a game already lost) so he's not starting cold tonight against Ottawa. 

Win tonight, and the team is back to .500 at 2-2-0. 

39 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Good first post.  

The first goal was all on Elliot.  From outside the dot you don't let a goal in 5 hole.  And that was the back-breaker.  This is what has happened with Elliot for at least the last two years.   He lets the back-breakers in but then stands on his head for the rest of the game.  People praise him for the 2nd part but forget the 1st.   

Flyers started great and were up on their toes, winning pucks until that goal went in.   Then 8 seconds later, he lets up that huge rebound and it's 2-0.  The second goal wasn't completely on Elliot but he played a part.  Now it's 2-0 and the energy the team had is gone.  The crowd is out of it and the game is effectively over.   The only chance to get it back under control should have came in the form of a time-out or goalie change.   But for whatever reason, Hak decides not to.  Maybe he forgot that he has a timeout to use.  Who knows. 

So in the end I blame Elliot for the first and most important one.  Then after that part of the 2nd goal was on him.   After that who cares.   

The good thing is that it's only the third game of the season and they only have to win tonight to be .500 which is a good place to be considering how ****** they played the first 3 games.

First I would like to say thank you!

I agree with your assessments of Elliot. I am in no way detracting the fact that Elliot is flat out inconsistent and sub-par as a starting goaltender let alone a back up. A goalie should be able to weather the storm and prevent those back breaking goals.

I also believe Elliot could have made that first save. However, the TEAM can not keep giving up 3 on 1 odd man rushs. When you have a team that passes and shoots well that odd man rush will result in a goal more often than not. That was a full speed uncontested 3 on 1 rush that was not played well by the loan defense-man. 

As far as the second goal another turn over with an odd man rush. Player number one takes a shot in the slot that goes off the heal of his stick (possibly even hitting the flyers defense-man's stick) and bounces to wide open player number 2 at the side of the net for a quasi one timer goal. How is that completely one Elliot? He read the shot and was in position to make the save but instead the sharks get a goal of a lucky bounce. Where was the defense? Why cant the flyers pass/control the puck from their own zone? 

For the first 5 minutes the flyers fore-checked well and carried the play. Prior to and after those 2 goals Elliot made some big saves to keep the flyers in it but no one else on the flyers so called team was playing defense. Passing, zone clearing and back-checking was severely lacking. Last year the team had a bad habit of giving up after one goal even if they were leading 3-1. They lack heart. They lack physical play and grit. The players cant give up that easily. They lack fire and tend to play lazily. 

Like you said, "the good thing is that it is only the third game". They can easily fix these issues but someone has to light a fire under there asses. 

Archived