What huge change can be made?

trevluk

There needs to be a huge change before the entire season is lost. Fire Hakstol? Strip G of the C and don't give it back until there is a "team" to be captain of? I don't know what the answer is but this season feels like it is almost over before it has even really started.

If you're trying to salvage a season, the only real possibility for effecting immediate change is firing the coach.  Trading the core or stripping letters off of sweaters is not a solution for the short term.  Reason I say that is because a trade of players of that ilk is unlikely to return bona fide roster players.  Rather, I think it's more likely that prospects and picks would be the return.  The only possibility might be trading for Panarin.

Btw, they could go 4-0 on this road trip and the organization will be back to saying "all is well." (To be promptly followed by a 10 game losing streak.)

Time for Hextall to sack up and remove the entire coaching staff. 

This looks to be another lost season.  If i am Comcast Hextall is on notice as well. This is a joke right now.... I wouldn't be all that sour if a big trade was made either. 

39 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Time for Hextall to sack up and remove the entire coaching staff. 

This looks to be another lost season.  If i am Comcast Hextall is on notice as well. This is a joke right now.... I wouldn't be all that sour if a big trade was made either. 

Agree with all of it.

I would like to see Holmgren and Clarke entirely removed from the organization.  Like, arrive at the complex to see all their stuff sitting in the parking lot.

Because part--part--of it is that Hextall never had the opportunity to tank.  Seriously.  I don't mean like "the Process" the Sixers went through.    They accidentally stumbled into the results of a pseudo tank when they got lucky with the lottery ball (in the wrong year), but he had to at least give the impression/lip service that they were trying to be competitive through it.  

Which is horse crap.   Because Holmgren was still here and rewarded for his complete and utter ineptitude and leaving the organization in a complete mess by being moved UP, Hextall couldn't acknowledge what an astounding mess it was and simply rip it apart.  We had to do this over 5 years by attrition. 

Many of the parts simply aren't here yet.  Who knows if/when they will be, but they're not.   

That said and despite that, the results should be better at this point than they are.  And to me, that is coaching.  Clear and present:  coaching.

From the head coach to his lackies, it's coaching.    JR Ewing had a pretty good post specifically about the Isles' game in the other thread but I think it's representative of the season so far.

Was it when Stevens was fired or Lavy when Holmgren talked about puck hunting?   It was a joke then and still is, but we don't have that.  We have a bumbling crew of keystone kops who can't carry the puck unmolested without tripping over it or fumbling it away.  Let alone complete a pass--that would require TWO Flyers being remotely competent at the same time, which would cause a rupture in the space-time continuum.     Seriously, how many times yesterday did the Isles sag back into the neutral zone with a passive forecheck while the Flyers were a zone away in their own zone and kick the puck in front of their own net, stumble on the puck, pass to no one, etc.  It honestly wasn't even the Islanders.  Sure, the Isles made some nice plays and they actually capitalized on some things, but many of the calamity was wholly self-inflicted.

Is it coaching that a grown man (19 or 39, doesn't matter) can't carry a puck 5 feet without loss of life?  Probably not.  But as a group, I think it's a symptom of complete lack of focus and mental absence.  And that IS coaching.

In the meantime, a guy with 5-10 NHL games sits stapled to the bench (Vorobyov) instead of letting him play and learn through it.  Because he'll learn the speed of the game and make adjustments sitting on a bench. All while the biggest dumb ass in Philadelphia (Voracek) continues to do the same idiotic crap he has done his entire career and gets rewarded with ice time.

FIRE THE GOD#### COACH AND HIS MORONIC STAFF ALREADY.

And you know what?   FIRE HEXTALL AND THE FRONT OFFICE.   It's nearly as ridiculous as Edmonton with the homeboy circle-jerking that goes on here.    The cancer grows from the top.  Cut it out.

59 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agree with all of it.

I would like to see Holmgren and Clarke entirely removed from the organization.  Like, arrive at the complex to see all their stuff sitting in the parking lot.

Because part--part--of it is that Hextall never had the opportunity to tank.  Seriously.  I don't mean like "the Process" the Sixers went through.    They accidentally stumbled into the results of a pseudo tank when they got lucky with the lottery ball (in the wrong year), but he had to at least give the impression/lip service that they were trying to be competitive through it.  

Which is horse crap.   Because Holmgren was still here and rewarded for his complete and utter ineptitude and leaving the organization in a complete mess by being moved UP, Hextall couldn't acknowledge what an astounding mess it was and simply rip it apart.  We had to do this over 5 years by attrition. 

Many of the parts simply aren't here yet.  Who knows if/when they will be, but they're not.   

That said and despite that, the results should be better at this point than they are.  And to me, that is coaching.  Clear and present:  coaching.

From the head coach to his lackies, it's coaching.    JR Ewing had a pretty good post specifically about the Isles' game in the other thread but I think it's representative of the season so far.

Was it when Stevens was fired or Lavy when Holmgren talked about puck hunting?   It was a joke then and still is, but we don't have that.  We have a bumbling crew of keystone kops who can't carry the puck unmolested without tripping over it or fumbling it away.  Let alone complete a pass--that would require TWO Flyers being remotely competent at the same time, which would cause a rupture in the space-time continuum.     Seriously, how many times yesterday did the Isles sag back into the neutral zone with a passive forecheck while the Flyers were a zone away in their own zone and kick the puck in front of their own net, stumble on the puck, pass to no one, etc.  It honestly wasn't even the Islanders.  Sure, the Isles made some nice plays and they actually capitalized on some things, but many of the calamity was wholly self-inflicted.

Is it coaching that a grown man (19 or 39, doesn't matter) can't carry a puck 5 feet without loss of life?  Probably not.  But as a group, I think it's a symptom of complete lack of focus and mental absence.  And that IS coaching.

In the meantime, a guy with 5-10 NHL games sits stapled to the bench (Vorobyov) instead of letting him play and learn through it.  Because he'll learn the speed of the game and make adjustments sitting on a bench. All while the biggest dumb ass in Philadelphia (Voracek) continues to do the same idiotic crap he has done his entire career and gets rewarded with ice time.

FIRE THE GOD#### COACH AND HIS MORONIC STAFF ALREADY.

And you know what?   FIRE HEXTALL AND THE FRONT OFFICE.   It's nearly as ridiculous as Edmonton with the homeboy circle-jerking that goes on here.    The cancer grows from the top.  Cut it out.

100 percent. 

By no means should Hextall be given a pass. I have always liked his draft days but his plan is no closer today than it was one or two years ago in my opinion.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

FIRE THE COACHING STAFF

I'm not as down on the players as the coach. The players look tentative and confused. The special teams are horrid! Time for a change of the coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Trade Voracek  

This move breaks up the leadership core and sends a message to the entire team.  

I don't agree that this is message sending time. I think it's mistake fixing time. That mistake is the entire coaching staff. 

That said, I'd be okay with the trade. Maybe it takes a both/and, but at the very least it may create room (in several ways) for Simmonds to stay. 

Both moves combined serve to fix the coaching mistake AND let the players know, "you, too, are culpable." 

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Trade Voracek  

If you trade Jake you will be taking on another **** contract.    His contract alone makes him untradable.    As bad as things are right now this team can't afford to take on another bad contract. 

12 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

If you trade Jake you will be taking on another **** contract.    His contract alone makes him untradable.    As bad as things are right now this team can't afford to take on another bad contract. 

Yes possibly, taking on another bad contract needs to be considered.  But is it one that can be stashed on the IR, a 4 line player, etc?  Keeping Jake means he has to play on the top 2 lines and the PP which means this team is not going to get better for a long time especially as a part of the leadership core.

Of the players that make more money than Jake.  I'd take in trade any one of them.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Trade Voracek  

THIS!!!!!

Do it!!!!!

For real. Move him for a nice return and let's spread or give his 8.25 mill to someone else.

These would send a great message....and then say who is next??

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Trade Voracek  

Thank you HF. I agree wholeheartedly. It sends the message that our forwards have to play the ENTIRE rink. I'm a broken record for sure in that regard of repeating that, but it is what it is. Giroux backechecks, so does Simmonds and most of the rest of the forwards. Trade Voracek before the injury bug gets him.  Of course, as always, the overpaid part of it is the hardest part for any team to find palatable.

4 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

Two words

CAN HACKSTOL

They can hire the second coming of Scotty Bowman, and they aren't winning squat with this bunch. That being said. I wouldn't shed a tear if they did can him.

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Giroux backechecks, so does Simmonds and most of the rest of the forwards

What period was that?   Or easier:  What game was that?

I haven't seen that.  I haven't seen any of the forward group consistently backcheck, Giroux and Simmonds included.   The forwards are consistently late to the play and covering the wrong guy when they do get there.

Is that by design or is it collective amnesia about how to play the game?

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What period was that?   Or easier:  What game was that?

I haven't seen that.  I haven't seen any of the forward group consistently backcheck, Giroux and Simmonds included.   The forwards are consistently late to the play and covering the wrong guy when they do get there.

Is that by design or is it collective amnesia about how to play the game?

OK granted, but when I see Voracek just standing there and not even ATTEMPTING to cover players in his own zone, it makes it easy if not convenient to a degree to call him out in that regard.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

OK granted, but when I see Voracek just standing there and not even ATTEMPTING to cover players in his own zone, it makes it easy if not convenient to a degree to call him out in that regard.

Oh, I get it.

Fire away at Voracek.  I'm fine with that.  Largely because he's often the reason they have to cover players in their own zone--he's the one that gave the puck away doing something asinine in the offensive or neutral zones.

He really has the hockey IQ of a starving maggot.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Oh, I get it.

Fire away at Voracek.  I'm fine with that.  

He really has the hockey IQ of a starving maggot.

Does the fact the maggot is starving make it more stupid? Asking because I'd like to use this insult in my day to day, but want to really understand the rationale behind it.

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Does the fact the maggot is starving make it more stupid? Asking because I'd like to use this insult in my day to day, but want to really understand the rationale behind it.

Lol yes. 

Maggots are hatched from eggs literally laid in rotten meat or dead animals. They don't have to hunt or go anywhere for food. They are literally born into it. So, to starve they have to be too stupid to simply eat. 

Eklund:  Flyers interested in a Mike Smith. 

Great. Another washed up goalie who can't stop the puck. Like this will help anything. And for what?  One of our defense?  Sanheim? Hagg?  For the leaky stopgap du jour? 

If that happens, I'll go supernova. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Eklund:  Flyers interested in a Mike Smith. 

Great. Another washed up goalie who can't stop the puck. Like this will help anything. And for what?  One of our defense?  Sanheim? Hagg?  For the leaky stopgap du jour? 

If that happens, I'll go supernova. 

Hell no!

51 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol yes. 

Maggots are hatched from eggs literally laid in rotten meat or dead animals. They don't have to hunt or go anywhere for food. They are literally born into it. So, to starve they have to be too stupid to simply eat. 

They are entitled much like th overpaid players 

Archived