Game 21: Flyers at Sabres 11/21/18 7:30 pm

OccamsRazor

I really tried to be patient. Hell I was one of them that preached... give Hak a chance, let Hexy get the players he wants.... no more .... I am tired of this crap. All this time  and what does this organization give us.... some mind numbing mascot named Gritty:  

yes i am pissed and yes I am over emotional at this point... but blow it up... blow the whole thing up.....

end of rant......

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a disgrace all the way around.  

To have that kind of start with three days off and in the midst of a winless streak is just depressing.  They couldn’t pull a decent effort together for the kid in net?  Blame coaching and also the players.  

The Sabres were relentless on the forecheck and our team had no way to handle it.  No adjustments from the coach at all.  Every team should play them aggressively.  They don’t have players or a coach able to counter an aggressive attack.  Clear lack of team speed in a league that is dictated by it.  They do not play fast.  It’s really kind of staggering when you look at the roster and realize how lacking in speed/quickness it is.

And of course the PK had to let one in for fun.

While I am at it, can we please stop with Jordan Weal?  He does absolutely nothing.  I was livid when he was complaining about the penalty he took.  Any time you take your hand off your stick and put it on the puck carrier, you are getting a penalty.  Stop your whining and own your **** play.

I rarely do this, but I am hoping for the losses to continue in order for the entire coaching staff to be fired.  It’s not entirely Hakstol’s fault, but nothing is getting fixed while he is here.  

This team is not any closer to contention than when Hextall took over.  Look at the teams that have passed them in the standings or turned things more quickly.  It’s a disgrace.  Why is it that the Rangers, who haven’t drafted a lot of high picks, have somehow passed the Flyers this year?  Why is it that their young players are having a high impact?  Yes, I know they have Lundqvist.  But they are getting solid play in front of him.  I don’t think he’s shouldering the load.  How about the Devils?  The ****** Islanders?   Carolina?  The goddamn Canadiens?  WTF?  Meanwhile, the PK continues to suck, they have no 3C and the goaltending is a joke.  But at least JVR is locked up long term.  Kill me.  

I’m just disgusted.  Year after year it’s the same story.  Just clean house.  Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds are wasting away and will be aged, overpaid vets when this team can, if ever, actually compete for a Cup.  Trade them and blow it up.  Should have been done years ago instead of this half assed retooling they’ve been trying for years. Also, let’s not forget that the #2 pick fell in their laps by way of incredible luck.  So this “retool” thing got a major boost by luck, not by plan.  Anyway, happy thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, vis said:

To have that kind of start with three days off and in the midst of a winless streak is just depressing.  They couldn’t pull a decent effort together for the kid in net?  Blame coaching and also the players.  

The Sabres were relentless on the forecheck and our team had no way to handle it.  No adjustments from the coach at all.  Every team should play them aggressively.  They don’t have players or a coach able to counter an aggressive attack.  Clear lack of team speed in a league that is dictated by it.  They do not play fast.  It’s really kind of staggering when you look at the roster and realize how lacking in speed/quickness it is.

While I am at it, can we please stop with Jordan Weal?  He does absolutely nothing.  I was livid when he was complaining about the penalty he took.  Any time you take your hand off your stick and put it on the puck carrier, you are getting a penalty.  Stop your whining and own your **** play.

I rarely do this, but I am hoping for the losses to continue in order for the entire coaching staff to be fired.  It’s not entirely Hakstol’s fault, but nothing is getting fixed while he is here.  

This team is not any closer to contention than when Hextall took over.  Look at the teams that have passed them in the standings or turned things more quickly.  It’s a disgrace.  Why is it that the Rangers, who haven’t drafted a lot of high picks, have somehow passed the Flyers this year?  Why is it that their young players are having a high impact?  Yes, I know they have Lundqvist.  But they are getting solid play in front of him.  I don’t think he’s shouldering the load.  How about the Devils?  The ****** Islanders?   Carolina?  The goddamn Canadiens?  WTF?  Meanwhile, the PK continues to suck, they have no 3C and the goaltending is a joke.  But at least JVR is locked up long term.  Kill me.  

I’m just disgusted.  Year after year it’s the same story.  Just clean house.  Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds are wasting away and will be aged, overpaid vets when this team can, if ever, actually compete for a Cup.  Trade them and blow it up.  Should have been done years ago instead of this half assed retooling they’ve been trying for years. Also, let’s not forget that the #2 pick fell in their laps by way of incredible luck.  So this “retool” thing got a major boost by luck, not by plan.  Anyway, happy thanksgiving.

This post should be read as the Gospel reading in churches all over.    

11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We used to outmuscle an outhussle the Sabres on a regular basis.  I am going to the Black Friday game against the Rags while visiting. Yikes...now I question may sanity. 

11 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Sadly I saw this coming a mile away and planned on a beat down.  I flipped over to the 76ers at 1-0 and I don’t even like basketball.

Anyway I need to steel myself for attending the Black Friday beatdown the Rags are probably going to administer to us. 

Maybe you two should just meet at the bar in the Well and drink the afternoon away 😀 I'm sure you'll have a much better time!!!!

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wasn't going to crack the seal on the Pappy Van Winkle bourbon till tomorrow but i think i will have some tonight...

Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

$250 bottle of bourbon in case anyone isn't familiar with it...cheers all....thanks Flyers!!!!

I have had it for a year now seems like a good time...was going to wait for my cousins but why wait...

Never heard of it until today - twice. Isn't that always the way?  

The protagonist in the book I'm reading just popped open a bottle of this exact bourbon.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Great post.

Man i am hung over this early in the morning.

I blame it on these suck ass Flyers......wasn't going to have a drink till today.

I finally got to sit down and watch the whole game from start to finish....but i couldn't take it after the first period when it was 4-0 i found something else to watch and checked back in when the 3rd was going on...it pissed me off so much i had to break open the bourbon.

And yes i don't drink that much anymore and have become a lightweight...and am paying the price right now.

But this has to stop. So when does it happen how long do they continue to slide before Ron does something??

I look at the standing there are 3 teams worse than the Flyers.

2 of the 3 Kings and Blues have already made changes.

Does Ron plan to just go for the top pick (Jack Hughes) and then make a change to Quenneville???

If so that is the only reason to stand pat and do nothing...Hughes might be worth it.

However i can no longer watch this car wreck...just can't. 

Hughes and Patrick could be just the thing they need for the future.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Never heard of it until today - twice. Isn't that always the way?  

The protagonist in the book I'm reading just popped open a bottle of this exact bourbon.

They have a 23 year old bottle too and i'm not sure how much it cost because i can't find it.

Some really really good stuff...if you like bourbon.

Can we stand pat and let Flyers West out tank us for Hughes???

Seems like that is Blake's plan so he can land his star of the future.

I think he has seen what it has done for the Oilers, Leafs, Sabres and Jets landing some generational talent (ok yes they all are in the same realm of talent but you get the picture).

You have to have stars to build around and it looks like Giroux and Jake's time is dwindling down and becoming less and less effective on the game's end results.

Sorry the gloom and doom post.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

4th straight loss. Exactly on par with last year at this time. And it's crazy that they lost 6 more in a row and STILL made the playoffs. 

2nd last in the conference by 1 point.

28th overall.

If we lose tomorrow, I think Hak is a goner. 

Well the Flyers were right to pull that kid after one period.  Even though the Sabres went into a shell after period one.  They did not go for the kill and it almost cost them.  But things are going well for them and lady luck is on their side. I am sure Housley will tell them they cannot play only one period vs Montreal and get away with it. As for the Flyers they have some issues turning the puck over.  The Sabres do to but Hutton saves them in those situations.  The Flyers do not have a goalie that is in that category to bail them out.  They can score but its basically one line and two or three guys that are doing the scoring.  Not balanced.  Its Gireux, Simmonds and Coutier or Van Riemsdyk.  They were getting alot of production from Gudas in the past.  Not sure if he is still getting points?  I do not see them enough.  I am hoping once I can get this streaming site FUBO, that I can see all of the teams whenever I want?  But my own team is sure worth watching these days.   I hope they can keep it going. AT least be consistent and make the playoffsI

57 minutes ago, brelic said:

Exactly on par with last year at this time. And it's crazy that they lost 6 more in a row and STILL made the playoffs. 

Remember they had the 2nd best February last year in franchise history that went along way and someteams started to struggle and those two combined helped them catch up.

33 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well the Flyers were right to pull that kid after one period.

I agree the keystones kops in front of him didn't help him at all getting his 1st start of the year...then i heard Jake yell "GRENADE!!!"

...and the wheels fell completely off two of the goals he let in i would have liked to see him stop....but the last one was the worst and the usual Elliottesque one that has gone in it seems regardless of who was in net the last two years.

The Sabre's team speed too them by surprise and was really shocking and no disrespect to the Sabres isn't the first fast team they have faced this year....but it certainly looked like for the 1st period the Flyers looked like a newborn fawn taking it's first steps.

Image result for newborn deer gif

...when will they ever learn to walk on their own???

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree the keystones kops in front of him didn't help him at all getting his 1st start of the year...then i heard Jake yell "GRENADE!!!"

...and the wheels fell completely off two of the goals he let in i would have liked to see him stop....but the last one was the worst and the usual Elliottesque one that has gone in it seems regardless of who was in net the last two years.

The Sabre's team speed too them by surprise and was really shocking and no disrespect to the Sabres isn't the first fast team they have faced this year....but it certainly looked like for the 1st period the Flyers looked like a newborn fawn taking it's first steps.

Image result for newborn deer gif

...when will they ever learn to walk on their own???

Not sure if you can really fault him for the one by Larsson or the jam in goal that was I believe the 2nd. And Skinner's either.  The 3rd was one he should have made

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Have not googled this kid yet .....  how good is he supposed to be??  Crosby / McDavid good?  Or just a step below???  Just curious.

I don't think he's near Crosby/McDavid good. He's definitely an elite skater and stickhandler. His size (5'10 about a buck sixty five) while not as much of a factor as it once was, is still certainly not in his favor...especially in the grind of playoffs. 

11 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I really tried to be patient. Hell I was one of them that preached... give Hak a chance, let Hexy get the players he wants.... no more .... I am tired of this crap. All this time  and what does this organization give us.... some mind numbing mascot named Gritty:  

yes i am pissed and yes I am over emotional at this point... but blow it up... blow the whole thing up.....

end of rant......

Where is Gritty these days?  LOL.  I forgot about that jinx of a mascot.  You guys should use him for target practice on a paint ball gun range or something.  Ha.  Gritty.  Can Gritty skate?

5 hours ago, vis said:

This team is not any closer to contention than when Hextall took over.

Vis:  You are correct to worry. But coaching aside, you are questioning the drafts.  That really says what at least some of us think; patience really hasn't been a virtue.  If our picks aren't really that good--coaching may not mean a lot.  

The outshoot but underscore phenomenon has scared me.  I've said it a lot here. Are the youngsters really creative? A few days back, I wondered why we didn't have an Erde type.  

Peace and best wishes to all on Turkey Day!

Gritty is a distraction from our pain .  That may be good or bad.  

When will Comcast intervene?  FYI, I got a call from one of the sales staff regarding Black Friday tix.  I hadn't  bought mine as early as usual--it is a first in a decade.  It makes me wonder if sales are dropping?  I know the media and even JJ + Keith Jones have noted a lot of empty seats.  Jeepers, the faithful may have had their full.

Archived