Game 23: Flyers at Leafs; 11/24 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Lol, I didn’t comment on the Rangers game because I wanted to see how they’d play against Toronto.  As suspected, they didn’t disappoint.  

What a joke.  How can a team be so inconsistent?  They are absolutely mental.  They’re a bipolar girlfriend.  To continue the metaphor, they’re pretty on the outside and have some potential, but they have so many issues that you don’t know if the night ends in crying or great sex.  Best to just stop texting them and move on.  

Seriously, at what point does Hextall make a move?  I do notice that Hextall hasn’t given the proverbial “vote of confidence” to Hakstol recently, but maybe none of the remaining beat writers have given enough thought to ask it.

If they lose to Ottawa....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, vis said:

Seriously, at what point does Hextall make a move?

Oh don't worry he'll send Goulbourne back down in a few games after letting him play 6 minutes a night and then call someone else up.

That is all is he good at rearranging the chair on the titanic....depending on which was she is listing.

As i said a few posts back i have to give it to the Leafs brass by recognizing they were insufficient in goal (2015-16) and they went and sent a 1st and a 2nd to go and get their guy in Frederik Andersen back in summer of 2016 at the sweet age of 26.

They spent 2015-16 with two scrub journey at best with Bernier and Reimer (sounds like a Hextall move) and i guess said they had enough and went out the summer of 2016 and spent resources on Andersen...who knew you could do that??

Hey Ron you hear me!

And it paid rewards.

Andersen by a questionable defense and young forward group came in and went 33-16-14 918% 2.67 and carried them to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years.

Sure they drafted some kids (not as high as say a Hart) but they didn't just stand pat and wait.

They were aggressive...and it's nice to draft and Sandstrom and Hart and other but let's not forget to ice a good competent team in the NHL Hextall......and that is what he did...he got scrubs.....and now look at the circus they on a nightly basis.

So along with his drafting and collecting of picks to build the farm he should have been trying his best to shore of the net till the kids are ready.

But he over looked the biggest position in the NHL many will say a confident/competent NHL starting goalie.

So as stated elsewhere by me and other they need a goalie to give them confidence they lack because they know everytime they f**k up one time it's going to be in the back of the net....and all these is bringing on the panic chicken with their head cut off around their own net we see.

It won't end till they find a guys to man the pipes who is going to have their back.

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I think even the announcing staff questions the coach.  They are saying the team has come out unprepared.  "It was ugly from the start of the game."  This is a systems problem but the speed-skill teams like Buffalo and Toronto just steamroller us.  I was wondering if our guys were paid by the Flyers or the Leafs?

J.J. and Jones sound dejected.  Yikes.

When this starts happening and they stop making excuses or going out of their way to make positive comments, usually a change usually isn’t far behind.  They know what’s going on behind the scenes.  

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

he over looked the biggest position in the NHL many will say a confident/competent NHL starting goalie.

So as stated elsewhere by me and other they need a goalie to give them confidence they lack because they know everytime they f**k up one time it's going to be in the back of the net....and all these is bringing on the panic chicken with their head cut off around their own net we see.

It won't end till they find a guys to man the pipes who is going to have their back.

I agree that a competent goalie could give this team some confidence.  It would make a huge difference.  And maybe Hextall realizes that and is a reason why he won’t let Hakstol go?

I don’t know what’s been available to Hextall in terms of goalies.  And if building through the draft is a priority, then it’s hard to give up high picks to be competitive now.

I realize top flight starters don’t come on the market frequently.  But what irks me most is the inability to bring in a reliable backup.  At least sign someone who isn’t as injury prone as Neuvirth or Elliott, especially given the cap space.  I still question the wisdom of signing Neuvirth to begin with, but that ship sailed long ago and understand the need given the circumstances.  

I mean look at Sparks drafted back in 2011 as a 7th round pick.

Spent time in the ECHL and then part of 5 seasons in the AHL and the Leafs would rather have him backing up Andersen this year even after Sparks and Pickard spent the previous year in the AHL........BACKING UP SPARKS!!!

Yes Pickard was a backup in the AHL and what does Ron do...."Oh he is good enough to play in Philly let's get him...."

And low and behold he comes and fits right in with the mediocre team.

Nice.

I mean look at Stolie for example back in 2016-17 Mason and Neuvy were hurt (i know shocked right!) and Stolie comes up and plays well in relief beats Calgary but doesn't get to play again like 3 weeks and then shutout the Wings then loses to the Devils before Christmas when his team mentally was already on Christmas break.

Mason hurts his hand he comes in and loses to Sharks after allowing one goal (955%).

Gets sent back till about April when he gets recalled and comes in and finally someone beats the Devils with a shutout (something Mason couldn't do after going 0-10 vs Devils) is relegated back to AHL purgatory and basically written off till i guess now because they are on their 5th goalie.

Just sad. 

I say give Stolie a chance WTF can it hurt Pickard is a mess and inconsistent as hell.

44 minutes ago, vis said:

I agree that a competent goalie could give this team some confidence.  It would make a huge difference.  And maybe Hextall realizes that and is a reason why he won’t let Hakstol go?

I don’t know what’s been available to Hextall in terms of goalies.  And if building through the draft is a priority, then it’s hard to give up high picks to be competitive now.

I realize top flight starters don’t come on the market frequently.  But what irks me most is the inability to bring in a reliable backup.  At least sign someone who isn’t as injury prone as Neuvirth or Elliott, especially given the cap space.  I still question the wisdom of signing Neuvirth to begin with, but that ship sailed long ago and understand the need given the circumstances.  

Yes even with all the cap space available he could have went out and pursued Halak or Hutton and give them a chance to compete with Elliott which as you see wouldn't have been to hard to unseat.

He could have bit the bullet bought Neuvy and offered one of those guys you had the money to do it.

You just have to go out and actually make it happen.

Nope the ol status quo.

#mediocreisprogress

53 minutes ago, vis said:

I don’t know what’s been available to Hextall in terms of goalies.

I don't either per se but just like in Andersen and the Ducks case the weren't just dangling him Gibson had only had one season of just playing 40 games total.

They need a goalie too still.

But when someone offered you a 1st and a 2nd well you're more inclined to listen.

And Hextall has to do the same.

You have to be aggressive and he is i think a reflection of his nutless coach.

2 hours ago, vis said:

When this starts happening and they stop making excuses or going out of their way to make positive comments, usually a change usually isn’t far behind.  They know what’s going on behind the scenes.  

This. I noticed the same thing earlier in the season when the team was struggling - the tone towards Hak has changed this year from the media, his GM, and even Hak himself. 

It’s getting harder and harder to blame things on goaltending and the players. 

Yes, we have subpar goaltending to be sure. But what is the likelihood that we’ve amassed the 5 worst goalies available? Pretty low.

Same thing with the players. Is it more likely that we’ve grouped together the slowest and dumbest collection of players? Or that coaching is not able to get this group to play smart, quick hockey? Speed in the NHL often comes down to quick decision-making and playing a cohesive team game. If you watch the Flyers, do you see that?

Nope. I see poor passing on most nights, and brutal turnovers. Ghost, Provorov, Giroux, Voracek, Patrick, Konecny - these were the worst offenders last night.

Fire Hak. I’ve reached lows on ruxpinian level.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, we have subpar goaltending to be sure. But what is the likelihood that we’ve amassed the 5 worst goalies available? Pretty low.

Is it?

You even noted last yesterday that Henrik had been in NY for 14 years.

Meanwhile the Flyers have had 19 goalies during that period.

I mean we are talking about close to the same brain trust that even back in 2010 when Emery went down they didn't go out and find a suitable replacement.

They were happy with Boucher, Backlund and MF Leighton!

It is like they don't know what good goaltending is or just plain and simple do not place value in having a top tier guy in net.

They don't value that position. Excluded lately with Hart or even Sandstrom who still we are not even sure will pan out.

I mean going back to Biron or even Columbus cast off Mason.

I have never seen nothing like it.

They value forwards and recently seemed to coming around on thinking D men are important.

And maybe it's a flaw approach going back to even Clarke's thinking "Hey we won two Cups with a guy we snagged off waivers..." type mentality.

No saying in no way Hak is absolved but which comes first the chicken or the egg.

PK sucks and even the PP have given up a lot of shorties this year....and yeah in both of those special teams configuration a goalie is key.

But for once I would love a Quick, Rinne or even Price type of guy back that to see and say for once....yeah the f**king coach sucks ass!

Till then we will be left to speculate.

Maybe they are cursed that Snider made a deal with the Devil to win their two Cups and in stead of him taking one of his children even took their goalie in the porche... and it has been down hill ever since.

I don't know kicking the can down the road.

Mojo I did not mean to be personal with your hockey IQ. What I am trying to articulate is that as a player who knows the goalie sucks, you circle the wagons and play your ass off in front of him. Thats what you do if you give a ****. Win as a team, lose as a team. . When you realize you have a problem and do nothing to solve it for 20 years plus that is the dysfunction of management. What I believe the players see is a team of executives that seem more interested in counting money than wins, and that has filtered down to the players. When I played competitive hockey and had lazy giveaway shift after lazy giveaway shift the way Giroux does I got stapled to the bench. That doesn't happen in Hakstol land. No accountability. That also filters down to the young players. Hockey is such a great game because even if your team isn't the most talented you can make up for it by playing with heart and playing a team game. The 2018 Flyers do none of the above.   

7 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

What I believe the players see is a team of executives that seem more interested in counting money than wins

I believe this to be the case. 

Honestly, I submit Gritty and Taryn Hatcher as hard factual evidence of this. 

When an organization is spending more focus on merchandising, marketing and fluff than they are on product and r&d, you see an organization that has jumped the shark and is marching toward death. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

See that is my pont can't have that mentality...Leafs didn't.

Well, they did, actually, but to your point (which as I'm typing I'm thinking that's actually all you meant)  they also went out and added their goalie.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just saying:

I will NEVER win a classiest anything contest. Not even in a field that only includes Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Bill Maher, and Sarah Huckabee Sanders. 

Don't forget to include the 1994 and 2011 Vancouver Canuck fanbase in your 'classy' group...…. Oooooohhhhh snap..... :shifty:

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, they did, actually, but to your point (which as I'm typing I'm thinking that's actually all you meant)  they also went out and added their goalie.

Yeah they went with Reimer and Bernier journeymen....and seemed to see the error in their judgement to like hey remember back in the day when we got solid goaltending from Belfour maybe we should invest there a little more and targeted a guy and went out and got him.

I still think you can do that now.

Pinpoint a guy and go out and get him.

Sure you are going to have to pay for him but all good players you are going to have to do it to get them.

But with the right strategy you can overcome and recover from it.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah they went with Reimer and Bernier journeymen....and seemed to see the error in their judgement to like hey remember back in the day when we got solid goaltending from Belfour maybe we should invest there a little more and targeted a guy and went out and got him.

I still think you can do that now.

Pinpoint a guy and go out and get him.

Sure you are going to have to pay for him but all good players you are going to have to do it to get them.

But with the right strategy you can overcome and recover from it.

You know it. I know it. I think most people on here know it. 

Either management doesn't and are the dumbest people on the globe, or it's harder than it seems. 

I'll go with C-all of the above. 

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

What I am trying to articulate is that as a player who knows the goalie sucks, you circle the wagons and play your ass off in front of him. Thats what you do if you give a ****. Win as a team, lose as a team. .

I think a .823 save percentage means circling the wagons won't matter. 

I have seen this group rally behind a goalie, I've also seen the goalie give up many bad goals from shots that as a defense you want the opponent to take.

Same with knowing you're playing a fast team with high skill guys and you have to dump and chase, keep to the perimeter and work the offense from low to high with the shots being generated at the point. The fast skill guys know where you're going to be...see the results enough, it's tough to keep bearing down.

It's like as a group this team has PTSD. 

what's the Springsteen line about a dog that's been beat too much ?

I do understand and agree with your point that the product on the ice is suffering. I think changes need to be made at the coaching level because you can't fire the players. This group doesn't think they've got a chance, a different voice, with a different approach is what I think is needed.  

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I will give the Leafs credit.

They had issues between the pipes and went out and got their 26 year old Dane to hold down the fort.

Wish Hextall had the sack to go out and make an aggressive move like that.

Between Ed Belfour in 2004 and Frederik Andersen in 2017 there were a LOT of horrendous goalies that the Leafs went through. About one per year. Raycroft, Toskala, Bernier, etc....  OMG who remembers Toskala? lol!  

Thank goodness for Andersen solidifying that position, and thank goodness Sparks is continuing to develop nicely.  The goaltender position is finally a non-issue for Toronto.  :)

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think one can ignore how good the Leafs actually are in the assessment of the death and destruction in this game. But the Flyers put up no fight. 

Sorry for the brief thread hijack but...  I think it's critical that the Leafs go all-in this season. 

They have an asset (Nylander) sitting in the sidelines and they need to either get him signed or get rid of him for a player that can help this team win now. 

This team is a monster. No Auston Matthews for an extended period (thank you Tavares signing... I'll never doubt the wisdom of having two #1 centers again) and they're still flying along. 

Archived