Hakstol Fired

AJgoal

15 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Previously I've mentioned Chuck Fletcher is very smart. Press conferences is where he excels... While players and moves is where I question his actions.

Chuck is very honest and doesn't pull punches. People can believe what he says. When he was with the Wild his sincerity and honesty were worthy (me being a Wild fan that's how I've seen it.)

Because he's smart, and honest... The only way to get a read on him is what he doesn't say. There were two clips of his press conference I've watched, from "Flyers TV" and in each of the videos he pretty much covered all bases regarding how he came to fire Hakstol and how (why) he selected Gordon to be the interim coach.

Then there's things he does say (like feeder input) along with him sort of thinking out loud as he speaks. For instance, he noted there's a lot of season left, and eluded to being in a good position of having talented prospects. (fan speak = Chuck isn't afraid of calling up prospects and using them.) In the case of the Wild I believe he pushed them too soon, but on his behalf he's willing to test a few of them as he seeks what direction the team needs to go. In the coming weeks I suspect, because he brought up the Flyers prospects, that some shuffling will occur. He flat out said, he wants to see continued development from our younger players. Which is why I do believe some of them will be called upon.

By saying it in the presser make no mistakes about it, he's subtly sending a challenge out to his NHL players. Something I'm totally guessing at but if he spoke to the team this morning, they already know a good portion of what he's expecting of them: More wins, more attention to detail, better puck handling / control, etc.

So far I've not come across footage covering any discussion about coach Q, but when I do I'll try to review it and provide my take.

Awesome...thanks for the insight.  I want to trust him and believe him but we have been lied to repeatedly by Clarke and Holmgren for the last 30+ years off and on that I have trust issues with GMs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, brelic said:

In other words, no different than with Hextall and Hak, minus the organizational embarrassment. 

Exactly.... all of this could have been avoided had Hexy, if the reports are even remotely true, just fired Hak a couple of weeks ago..... what an absolutely media circus cluster nightmare this has turned into....

44 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Exactly.... all of this could have been avoided had Hexy, if the reports are even remotely true, just fired Hak a couple of weeks ago..... what an absolutely media circus cluster nightmare this has turned into....

Is Hextall not firing Hakstol a possible reason why Hextall was fired? Just curious as I've not been paying a lot of attention in a lot of this.

35 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Is Hextall not firing Hakstol a possible reason why Hextall was fired? Just curious as I've not been paying a lot of attention in a lot of this.

If that was the case, Hakstol would have gone out the door with Hextall.

Hextall was fired because he didn't do anything to make the fanbase excited, and revenue was dropping. He espoused patience and building from within to have a sustainable future. Depending on which side you are on, he either sat on his hands and did nothing, or set the team up well for the not too distant future. There's also the control freak aspect, which seems strange that it was never even whispered about prior to his firing. The upper management has been screaming that something needs to be done now, but I tend to agree with Hextall's assertion that trying to get anything of value at this stage of the season was likely to cost more than it's worth, as everyone still thinks they have a chance.

Note: I was and am on board with Hextall's plan. I think he could have done one or two things this summer (Skinner, Hamilton, both moves I advocated for over the summer), but in general, I'm not sure if they would have been possible given what was given up, and/or division considerations. The goalie issue IS an issue, but again, I'm not sure what the solution was. So take my viewpoint with a grain of salt, because it's colored by my general disagreement with the direction the org seems inclined to take, Fletcher's public statements notwithstanding. 

I feel like we'll never know the full story of what happened with this whole situation. So many things seem like loose ends that could easily just have been fed to build a narrative. Did Hexy refuse to fire Hakstol? Sure, it's possible. Was he a control freak? Also possible. How was that last idea never leaked out in any way that I know of? I don't know. He did keep a tight ship.

At the same time, it's also possible much of that was overblown in an attempt to feed the media. Large corps and gov't does this all the time. Scott would definitely fit that mould.

I do find it telling that Provo didn't stick up for his coach though. The players aren't spin doctors. Their reactions and words seem more likely to be truthful to me. I trust Homer and Dave Scott about as far as I can throw them. Their both smarmy lizards.

It would be nice if we could find a happy medium from Hextall's glacier movement like patience to Homer quick trade everyone for everyone who is available mentality...

...somewhere in between maybe be tolerable.

15 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Wish I could say there's a some brilliant hockey logic at work here, but I'm sorry, I'm not seeing it......

Good, then I'm not just being blinded by my bias against dumb-fuqery.

Archived