Morin not getting in a game this year

RonJeremy

There was a story today that with the Flyers fighting for a playoff spot Morin probably wont get to play. There have been several games where we dressed 7 dmen, so why cant we do that for a couple of games and give him some shifts. The better he plays the more time you give him.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he can be claimed  by another team , he would have to clear waivers to be sent down. So bench one of the 4th line guys and give Morin some shifts as the 7th dman and work him into the lineup. If he can become half as good as Chara, he can be a big help to shutdown other teams in the future and can protect our players since Simmonds is gone.

33 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Ok, so I dont see any reason we cant dress Morin  as the 7th guy and see how he looks.

Don't have to they have Norris candidate Andrew friggin Macdonald...no one can screen their own goalie like he can and who else can skate backwards like him while doing exactly nothing useful like him?? No need for Sam while they have him!!!! :hehe:

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

CBA thing rosters are set each team is allowed 4 recalls. 

4 recalls. 

Is the reason there are no waivers that there is no sending down, period?  Really asking.  If that's the case, waivers or not, Morin can't be sent down?  Is that right? 

I agree with everyone that he should get some ice time. 

It's actually the time of year where there aren't roster limits so I'm not seeing anything negative of having Morin practice with the Flyers.  If there were an opening due to injuries he would get some icetime.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

4 recalls. 

Is the reason there are no waivers that there is no sending down, period?  Really asking.  If that's the case, waivers or not, Morin can't be sent down?  Is that right? 

I agree with everyone that he should get some ice time. 

I think it has more to do with the rosters being set more than anything for the playoffs.

Since if you were to be allowed to claim someone they would have to stay on the NHL roster.

Which would some how circumvent the need for recalls I guess.

If he can't be sent down AND they were in the hunt for the playoffs, I can understand wanting to keep the roster as is.  

However, after last night they have a 0.7% chance of making the playoffs.  Even if they won out, they still don't control their own destiny.  

So, the question remains:   Can Morin be sent down without waivers?   Would be nice if there was...I don't know....a beat writer for the Flyers that could do a little research and figure out what the options are.

Whatever option allows him some games, it would be in his and the team's best interest to get him playing.   

Even if that means rotating out Amac or playing a 7th.  

Morin has played a total of 19 hockey games over the past two full seasons. He's going to be 24 in a few months, and is coming back from a major injury and surgery.

I completely understand why they haven't been playing him in the NHL. The team had different priorities and focus for the past few months. Just being around the NHL team is helpful in his development too. 

I'm not sure what the plan is for him, but it's looking like he's pretty low on the depth chart. 

Next year's camp will be a make or break for him. I definitely wouldn't gift him a roster spot - he's gotta earn it and show he belongs. 

37 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm not sure what the plan is for him, but it's looking like he's pretty low on the depth chart.

I swear i want to say i read Meltzer saying that they want him to take the whole offseason to get ready for camp next year so he can have a healthy strong start to next year and compete for a spot.

He has been skating and practicing for a while and since it has been so long since he has played a lot they are erin on the side of caution with him. They want him in the bottom pair next year.

I think we see Mcdud being bought out not to save money reason just to move on from him because he is not the guy they need as a 7th D man.

Sam will be a 5 - 7th  Dman starting next season since he will require waivers to be sent down next year. I can live with him at no worse the 7th than another year of Mcdud on the team.

I would be ok with them moving Hagg this offseason too.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Next year's camp will be a make or break for him. I definitely wouldn't gift him a roster spot - he's gotta earn it and show he belongs. 

The sad thing for him is that he made the team out of camp a few years ago and then was asked to serve Clarke and Homer Popcorn and diet Pepsi by Hak until he was eventually sent down.  

56 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

The sad thing for him is that he made the team out of camp a few years ago and then was asked to serve Clarke and Homer Popcorn and diet Pepsi by Hak until he was eventually sent down.  

And he outplayed Hagg who was kept in his place.

That was frustrating as hell.

This team could use him I think his skillset is much higher than Hagg who all he does is hit nothing much else...besides stands and watches a lot like Mcdud showed him.

I watched Morin for 3 seasons in LV. He's nothing special.  Just because he's big you guys wanna believe he's some big tough bruiser.  He's slow as molasses, lacks hockey sense, is often out of position and simply isn't all that mean.  Not once did I see him try to stir things up to wake up the team nor do I ever remember seeing him come to the aid of a teammate.  Yes, he's had a couple of fights and done well  but he's slow to anger.  Bardreau and NAK are better agitators.  He's does take a lot of dumb penalties though.

6 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Not once did I see him try to stir things up to wake up the team nor do I ever remember seeing him come to the aid of a teammate.

Well everything i have seen about for other who cover the team goes against everything that you just said so no offense i will take their word for it don't know your hockey credentials....just the rare every now and then complaining post. 

Not sure what else you would want this guy to do??? I for one don't want him to be an enforcer. 

I will wait to see the guy play on the Flyers before i say he can't help. I think he is exactly what they are missing.

An immovable object to keep the top of the crease clean.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, darthbal said:

If they are not going to play him on the Big club, why not send him down to LV?

That way he could at least play, and test his knees, and get ready for next season

He'd have to go through waivers and would almost certainly be claimed by someone.  

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He'd have to go through waivers and would almost certainly be claimed by someone.  

There aren't anymore waiver period right now.

You just send him down.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I swear i want to say i read Meltzer saying that they want him to take the whole offseason to get ready for camp next year so he can have a healthy strong start to next year and compete for a spot.

He has been skating and practicing for a while and since it has been so long since he has played a lot they are erin on the side of caution with him. They want him in the bottom pair next year.

I think we see Mcdud being bought out not to save money reason just to move on from him because he is not the guy they need as a 7th D man.

Sam will be a 5 - 7th  Dman starting next season since he will require waivers to be sent down next year. I can live with him at no worse the 7th than another year of Mcdud on the team.

I would be ok with them moving Hagg this offseason too.

I think this is the best course.  Frankly, i don't want him jumping into an (albeit mostly futile) playoff race trying to prove something when his body isn't ready for full speed contact (it literally takes several weeks to a month of actual games to get one's body ready for that after an extended time off) as it's part of the reason he tore up his knee last year to begin with.

I think it's fine.  Once they're eliminated, he will get a game or two and that is really just fine.

Morin is worth taking the time for.  I'm still mad at Hextall for not keeping him on the team last year.  He made the team pretty much in name only for the opening road trip, then was sent down so he could get minutes and because Hextall didn't want to carry 8 Dmen.

It seems Hakstol preferred Hagg's game.  Not that there's anything wrong with Hagg's game, but if it's even close the upside to Morin's game that will develop over time and the advantages it gives your team are too vast to ignore... but that "genius" Hakstol ignored them happily.  

Should have been a strong indicator the Hextall even then that in a neck and neck race, Hakstol preferred the guy with the significantly lower upside.  Hagg's fine.  He leads the league in hits or whatever.  That's great.  There's nothing wrong with him.  What Morin is capable of is soooo much more. 

I remain convinced that it was not being with the NHL club that lead to his abdominal injury not being detected right away and requiring more time to recover from than it should have.  It was returning from that injury in the AHL playoffs (it was early in the epic record setting game that he hurt his knee if I'm not mistaken--but I could be) and it was clear that his body just wasn't used to game speed yet let alone playoff speed.  Even at the AHL level, it's intense for a a young guy who hasn't touched the ice in many months.

Morin is a potentially fantastic player.  He is well worth not giving up on.  The only thing that will prevent him from having a productive NHL career is injury.  I remain steadfast that he is that good.  

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There aren't anymore waiver period right now.

You just send him down.

Of course...  I forgot.  Well, they must have plans for him then.  

I wonder if that suggests in a round about way that Fletcher is more or less committing to Gordon at this point.  

23 hours ago, Poconono said:

I watched Morin for 3 seasons in LV. He's nothing special.  Just because he's big you guys wanna believe he's some big tough bruiser.  He's slow as molasses, lacks hockey sense, is often out of position and simply isn't all that mean.  Not once did I see him try to stir things up to wake up the team nor do I ever remember seeing him come to the aid of a teammate.  Yes, he's had a couple of fights and done well  but he's slow to anger.  Bardreau and NAK are better agitators.  He's does take a lot of dumb penalties though.

This is exactly the opposite of what I've seen of him in his few games at the NHL level.  His vision and hockey sense are fantastic, especially on carrying and passing out of his own end, his wingspan cuts down passing lanes, and he can take a guy out of a play without taking himself out of it at the same time.

His advanced metrics in his limited NHL time were significantly better than in his AHL time.  The fact is, he won't be used as a bruiser or a jump starter or an energy guy.  Slow to anger is exactly what they need from him.  

He's not going to be there to intimidate, he's going to be there to shut down plays and get the puck going back in the other direction and take up a TON of space on the penalty kill.

It's weird, but there are some players that simply perform better at the NHL level than at the AHL level because their games are contingent on having strong players around them (especially defensive partners and forwards to move the play along to).  

The simple fact of the matter is that Morin is one of these guys... or was before a year of two bad injuries.  

And it's not that he's going to throw punishing hits, it's that with a simple push off, he can do as much to effectively shot down a play as Gudas can with a brutal hit... that's likely to get him at least 2 mins, maybe a suspension. 

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not that there's anything wrong with Hagg's game

Oh I beg to differ there is a lot to be desired in Hagg's game.

He gets turned around so easy and chases the play when he should maintain his position.

He will take his self out the play to make the hit to. 

And he just looks sometimes to be thinking too much like he doesn't know what or who is his guy.

And loses rebounds a lot.

He is I'm afraid the weakest link with Mcdud out the lineup.

It is why I think he could be the piece Fletcher uses to make a move with.

Especially if Morin is going to be a part of the lineup next then someone needs to go.

Friedman will be trying to get a spot too next year.

Ivan/Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Morin

Friedman

That could be the D pairs till they land a vet D man.

Hagg who does have trade value will be the oddman out.

Archived