Round #1 Eastern Conference: Washington Capitals (M1) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (WC1)

pilldoc

Round #1 Eastern Conference: Washington Capitals (M1) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (WC1)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Capitals sweep
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Hurricanes sweep
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7

Nice season by the Hurricanes.
Fast paced, up tempo team with some nice talented players especially up front.
They love to have fun, they entertain the fans, and MOST DEFINITELY deserve their spot in the Eastern playoff bracket.

But now its time for serious business, they face the defending champions who want to do what long time rival Pittsburgh has done, and that is to repeat as champions.

The Caps still have the personnel to get that done too.
For all the good things that can be said about the Canes, I really don't think their defense is solid enough to withstand a series against Ovie and his talented forwards group, nor do I think the combination of Petr Mrazek and Curtis McBackup is enough to steal games here, when it counts most, in the post season.

Carolina, if they stay on their course, are on their way to building something very nice, very competitive, and maybe even be championship material...……..down the road.

But for the here and now, I still don't think they have enough to dethrone the current NHL champions.
Canes will make some games very competitive, but many of their younger stars will realize the playoffs really are a different animal, and will ultimately fall short this time.

Caps in 5.

Like @ruxpin I despise the Caps and their fans, however, they are the defending SC Champs.  Do they win the Cup this year, I don't think so, however, I don't think the Canes have enough guns to beat them.  Canes had a nice season and they get 2 wins, 1 on the road and 1 and home, but in the end the Caps move on.......

Just now, pilldoc said:

Like @ruxpin I despise the Caps and their fans, however, they are the defending SC Champs.  Do they win the Cup this year, I don't think so, however, I don't think the Canes have enough guns to beat them.  Canes had a nice season and they get 2 wins, 1 on the road and 1 and home, but in the end the Caps move on.......

Objectively, that's hard to argue.    I want to call an upset, though, so this and Colorado/Calgary are my upsets.

I think the Caps have some weakness, but it's going to take a Canes team--especially the goalies--to play over their heads mixed with some luck.  But I think they pull it off.   At the very least, I'm cheering for Brind'amour.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

At the very least, I'm cheering for Brind'amour.

I will ALWAYS cheer for Brindy and I seriously hope they upset the Caps...if they do I will LAUGH heartily at my friends who are Cap fans.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I will ALWAYS cheer for Brindy and I seriously hope they upset the Caps...if they do I will LAUGH heartily at my friends who are Cap fans.

Oh that's right.  I forgot about the fan mix down your way (probably more about the Hershey Bears connection than the actual Caps, but still).  I hope you get to laugh.   That laugh will last until your friends remind you you're a Flyers' fan.

The biggest no doubter of any series including Tampa, Washington in a clean sweep. There is literally not a single area that I give the advantage to Carolina. Nice easy series for the defending Champs to begin the defense of their crown.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, yave1964 said:

Nice easy series

I can't say easy.

But Mrazek is their weak spot...goes down so early and stays down...just shoot over his shoulder he is either deep in his net or to far out.

It is like he can't find a happy medium.  First game 824% and 879% this loss today. Not just isn't good enough in the playoffs.

Time to go to Curtis Mac.

And now is the a suspension??? 

Looks like his arm and chest take the brunt of the blow...

On 4/16/2019 at 6:10 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Mrazek must be back on his meds.

Never seen a more bi polar goalie...well I have but I mention him here....

Amazing isn’t it ... really.... he sucked bantha fodder here and looks like Verizon’s Trophy candidate with the Canes..... I don’t get it. (Shaking my head).

anyway.... best of 3 now with the Canes knotting the series up at 2-2.....

Terrible play by Hamilton...got to be willing to get that puck...sacrifice the body to do it...

...i can see this going 7 games...i know the Caps don't want that.

Oshie will be out a while with a fractured clavicle...if not for good.

2 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

Not only did I enjoy watching the deciding game--

but I can practically guarantee there won't be 

a rematch of last year's Cup Finals. 🤪 

Going out on a limb, are ya?:ph34r::bigteeth:

On 4/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, ruxpin said:

I forgot about the fan mix down your way (probably more about the Hershey Bears connection than the actual Caps,

This, teen girl Mojo always makes fun of me by asking about Dmitri Orlov  " we used to cheer for that guy at Hershey and now he sucks right? oh wait that was Burakovsky" then she goes on to say something derogatory about russian players... she makes me so proud. 

( I know Burakovsky isn't russian)

Archived