The greatest mind in hockey...

Poulin20

Is a finalist for the Jack Adams award....     I give up!! :whiteflag:

So what are your thoughts?  Did he grow as a coach after being canned by the Flyers or is it a function of having better players?  Or maybe it is a combination of the 2?

Discuss....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

So what are your thoughts?  Did he grow as a coach after being canned by the Flyers or is it a function of having better players?  Or maybe it is a combination of the 2?

Discuss....

I think he grew as a coach, but I also think he has a better defense in St. Louis, to go along with better goaltending, than he ever had here. They talented HARDER in St. Louis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You guys are funny. Think of how much NHL hockey chief has watched from ice level in his career.

All those years getting 5 minutes a night, he's seen what works and what doesn't.  He probably also has some ideas for how he would play if his skill set was different.  And how skill guys can make themselves tougher to play against. 

Top that off with the fact he's probably still a BMF...I am really not surprised.  

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that once Jagr wasn't resigned this team was actually terrible and the VeeGees were really just the febreeze after a beer and chlli omelette dump.

Edit: I'm happy for Chief as a young man in Hershey he was always nice to the fans, and on the occasion I met him was very kind to my young cousin. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Discuss....

Binnington.

That is all.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, Poulin20 said:

Discuss....

I'll give credit where credit is due - Berube did a great job with St.Louis and should be rewarded as a result. However, he's gotten out of this world goaltending from Binnington, has a much more mobile defense than what he had in Philadelphia and has a deeper roster of skating forwards than what he had in Philadelphia. 

It's easy to be a good coach when you've got a good team and the team has tuned out the previous coach. I'll be interested to see what happens in two years with Chief at the helm and will he elevate Robert Thomas and Robby Fabry when their games have progressed to another level.......

• Like 2

There is ONE reason why Craig Berube is a jack Adams finalist.....HE LEFT THE FLYERS. Baffling....

seems everyone who leaves this organization immediately improves their game/stats/career......ESPECIALLY against us.

(by the way, how the hell did Wayne Simmonds do in Nash....i seriously have no idea.)

Edited by MaineFlyFan

4 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

There is ONE reason why Craig Berube is a jack Adams finalist.....HE LEFT THE FLYERS. Baffling....

seems everyone who leaves this organization immediately improves their game/stats/career......ESPECIALLY against us.

(by the way, how the hell did Wayne Simmonds do in Nash....i seriously have no idea.)

That's the philly curse.... Thrive when you leave... As far as I know Hartman was more productive through the end of the season,than Simmonds was in Nashville but time will tell on Hartman....

On 4/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, Poulin20 said:

Discuss....

He didn't have a good team with the Flyers, but he coached them poorly. 

They were consistently out of position  and the defense faced the wrong direction... like a lot.  It was the same but different as Hakstol.  

I really haven't been able to watch the Blues much though so I can't really comment on how they're playing.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I really haven't been able to watch the Blues much though so I can't really comment on how they're playing.

Sorry i'm not buying it i watch the first part of their season....there were terrible...and if it wasn't for Binnington we would be talking about who they will be hiring in the place of Berube.

Till Binnington come in at the start of 2019 Allen was 13-11-0-4. 

Berube was on the hot seat name being brought up everywhere just like others around the NHL.

Binnington comes in and save the day. In January alone he went 5-1-0-1.

February he was en fuego going 11-1-0-0.

March rolls around and he goes 9-3-0-0.

So yeah i know they ant to say Berube turn this team around but no Binnington come in and gave the team in front hi hope and even forced Allen to start playing better.

So He comes in and saves the year going 24-5-0-1 1.89 gaa and 927% and 5 shutouts.

Just compare Allen's numbers after Binnington arrived.

He was a pedestrian 13-11-0-4 before him.

And just 6-6-0-4 after he took over....that to me tells me Binnington saved the season!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor
#binningtonsavetheseason

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry i'm not buying it i watch the first part of their season....there were terrible...and if it wasn't for Binnington we would be talking about who they will be hiring in the place of Berube.

And just 6-6-0-4 after he took over....that to me tells me Binnington saved the season!!!!!!!

I'm usually really reticent to suggest the goalie makes all the difference as you'll probably recall from my insistence on giving Gordon's scheme equal due as Carter Hart, but you may be right in this case.  Because Chief did not look good.

If I'm being generous with Homer, the firing of Lavvy and hiring of Chief in hindsight almost seems magnanimous to both of them.

He gave Lavvy an out on a terrible team but because he was still under contract he continued to get paid while he found a better job and in promoting Chief, Homer gave his pal (and did Chief play under Homer when he coached?) a raise and some NHL experience to further his career.  

In that light, Homer seems like a nice guy and it worked out for everyone except the Flyers... because Hextall has a man crush on Hak for some ungodly reason (still think something happened with Brett in college).  

44 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm usually really reticent to suggest the goalie makes all the difference as you'll probably recall from my insistence on giving Gordon's scheme equal due as Carter Hart, but you may be right in this case.  Because Chief did not look good.

If I'm being generous with Homer, the firing of Lavvy and hiring of Chief in hindsight almost seems magnanimous to both of them.

He gave Lavvy an out on a terrible team but because he was still under contract he continued to get paid while he found a better job and in promoting Chief, Homer gave his pal (and did Chief play under Homer when he coached?) a raise and some NHL experience to further his career.  

In that light, Homer seems like a nice guy and it worked out for everyone except the Flyers... because Hextall has a man crush on Hak for some ungodly reason (still think something happened with Brett in college).  

Well the Blues have had a good team for years and just kept coming up short so all they need was some solid goaltending provided by Binington and that gave them the confidence they needed.

Just like Hart did for the Flyers however in the Flyers case they still just had too much youth one of the youngest in the league.

The Blues had AP and J- Bo to lean on to help the top 4 out on the blueline so the rest of the lineup could fall in place and figure out their roles.

Flyers don't have those type of vets on their blueline. Gudas is ok but he has his own issues at times trying to learn to play the right way and not get suspended.

And Mcdud well is still Mcdud one day he will eventually learn how to play defense but if he does i hope it is with some other club come 2020.

I thin with some retooling and some better direction and game plan from AV they will be pushing hard for a playoff spot next spring.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the Blues have had a good team for years and just kept coming up short so all they need was some solid goaltending provided by Binington and that gave them the confidence they needed.

Just like Hart did for the Flyers however in the Flyers case they still just had too much youth one of the youngest in the league.

The Blues had AP and J- Bo to lean on to help the top 4 out on the blueline so the rest of the lineup could fall in place and figure out their roles.

Flyers don't have those type of vets on their blueline. Gudas is ok but he has his own issues at times trying to learn to play the right way and not get suspended.

And Mcdud well is still Mcdud one day he will eventually learn how to play defense but if he does i hope it is with some other club come 2020.

I thin with some retooling and some better direction and game plan from AV they will be pushing hard for a playoff spot next spring.

If they’re “pushing” for the spot, something will have gone terribly wrong. 

If course last last year I said that if they aren’t pushing for a spot something will have gone wrong... and it did I guess as Hakstol was even more obstinately naive than ever and refused to wake up as the league exploited his system silly. 

A few new pieces from Fletch (yes, I too want a vet D man and I think so does Fletcher) and some solid NHL experience from Vigneault and I really do think we’ll be feeling pretty good.  

I would prefer it if Fletcher got a little creative with his approach to the cap and utilizing the cap situation of other teams to his advantage so the Flyers don’t end up in the same predicament as the Maple Leafs or Tampa in two years.  But that doesn’t seem to be in his tool Box. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 5:30 PM, Special guest speaker said:

That's the philly curse.... Thrive when you leave... As far as I know Hartman was more productive through the end of the season,than Simmonds was in Nashville but time will tell on Hartman...

I predict a broom and a seat cushion

Berube may have learned from his Flyers' experience.  And he has better talent in Saint Louis.  

Candidly, I don't think coaching has been the central problem for the O and B.  It's been talent.  AV may do a better job.  But that will probably be a function of better players.  

The story goes that the Blues started to rally as a team around a song called "Gloria" when they heard it in a bar in South Philadelphia, of all places.  I'm not sure the success is due to Berube or rather that the team just growing and becoming closer.  They play for each other and have no passengers.  Good goaltending has helped them as well.  Not trying to take anything away from Berube, but it seems like there is more to the team dynamic than coaching.  Also helps having a pretty talented roster.

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Berube may have learned from his Flyers' experience.  And he has better talent in Saint Louis.  

Candidly, I don't think coaching has been the central problem for the O and B.  It's been talent.  AV may do a better job.  But that will probably be a function of better players.  

AV and the new coaches alone won't get this team to a Conference final, but it should be enough to get them to the POs.  But, to be real contenders, I agree they need more talent and veteran leadership.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Flyers, pull my finger to hear if you are going to the Stanley Cup Finals or not.  Ohh I’m sorry that sound indicates that you aren’t.  The good news is that I am.  Sincerely, The Greatest Mind in hockey.

3D214468-AEBB-450F-B8DC-9403928C1B82.jpeg.4abdc4f7361eaab7dcd037ca2d61322d.jpeg

• Haha 2