Flyers to buyout MacDonald

AJgoal

28 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

They're only retaining 700k of Gudas' salary so it's not much of a fumble to recover from.  I'm surprised it was necessary because Gudas is actually a pretty good D man on a favorable contract.  But Niskanen's a better D man who isn't on a bad contract. 

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the appeal was just knowing they were bringing in D man who Fletcher wouldn't have to make a deadline decision call on.

The caps wanted the cap room (no pun intended) to make their own moves.  If Fletcher Fumbles it will be if the capitals outbid him on someone Fletcher want.  They have a few RFA's to resign, but they now have about $10milliion in cap space, so It's not inconceivable that they could make a play on someone who wants to pad his stats passing the puck to Ovie for a year or so.  

17 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, they're likely just putting him out there in the event someone would be silly enough to pluck him of waivers. I can't imagine a world in which that happens, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

I'm pretty sure they have to do the waiver period first. 

On 6/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, fan4ever said:

@Poulin20

I haven't thought about that song in forever!!!

Love it!!

Its the first song that popped into my head when I heard he was bought out.  Songs of that era have a way of being appropriate to highlight/ accent certain situations more so than songs of today IMHO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, ruxpin said:

I'm pretty sure they have to do the waiver period first. 

I know there is no way of knowing that the Flyers would get these players with their picks (but I think about how we justify moving Schenn because hey we have Farabee and Frost which I am still with that going down) but if we use the same logic with Mcdud it looks ugly as hell.

Flyers trade Sorokin and Carlo for Mcdud.

Yikes I'm going to be sick.

On March 4, 2014, the Flyers acquired the 27-year-old MacDonald in exchange for a 2014 second-round pick (Ilya Sorokin), a 2015 second-round pick (flipped to Boston in the Johnny Boychuk trade and used by the Bruins to select Brandon Carlo) and minor leaguer Matt Mangene. On April 15, the Flyers signed MacDonald to a six-year, $30 million contract extension to pre-empt his unrestricted free agency. 

• Uggh... 1

The answer is Voracek. Over the last three seasons, Voracek has posted 212 points in 242 games, compared to Tarasenko's 209 points in 238 games. Voracek ranks 23rd in forward scoring in the NHL over the past three seasons, also placing him ahead of the likes of Benn (201), Pavelski (198) and Aho (197). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, intheslot said:

The answer is Voracek. Over the last three seasons, Voracek has posted 212 points in 242 games, compared to Tarasenko's 209 points in 238 games. Voracek ranks 23rd in forward scoring in the NHL over the past three seasons, also placing him ahead of the likes of Benn (201), Pavelski (198) and Aho (197). 

yet somehow...he's terrible. :toast:

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, mojo1917 said:

yet somehow...he's terrible. :toast:

That's ok. Almost the entire time he was in Toronto, all that Leafs fans did was bitch about Frank Mahovlich.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

@JR Ewing

@ruxpin

Full disclosure I like Jake, I also understand the type of player he is. Which is to say he's a high event guy, when the puck is on his stick **** happens. Mostly, those events are good  or neutral sometimes not. He shows up on the score sheet consistently he is growing into a leader, he is one of Mrs Mojo's favorites because he cares.  I could do without his thin skin and wish he'd shoot the puck more . 

He's this teams version of Jeff Carter, i get that too.

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Which is to say he's a high event guy, when the puck is on his stick **** happens. Mostly, those events are good

I know the points and all, but i really disagree with the last statement. 

My "dumber than dog ****" is he attempts too much. No less than 5-10 times per game he's stickhandling into multiple opponents like he thinks he's the best ever at it (he's not close). It's not like he doesn't see them. He somehow thinks he can beat all of them and he rarely does. He coughs it up or makes a stupid pass.  It's infuriating the frequency by which this happens.

I think the Carter thing is probably apt but slightly different.  Carter often looked (right or wrong) like he wasn't trying. I never have that impression with Voracek.  I just wish he'd try smarter. Pass it before you trap yourself. Use your teammates -- even if you think THEY are not trying. My biggest problem with him is at the opponent's blue line and just inside it.  I meant it when I asked what kind of points he could accumulate if it wasn't for the complete idiocy in that area. 

I don't have a lot of problem with him elsewhere.  He'd probably hit 100 points if he'd fix this. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Which is to say he's a high event guy, when the puck is on his stick **** happens.

When it's not on his stick to long....i have seen him many times try to skate through several guys instead on making the smart pass to the open guys.

He needs work on that eliminate the dumb plays/turnovers and make more simple smart plays....this isn't about who has the coolest highlight reel play for the night it's about the plain ol boing simple who scores the goals, stops the goals and wins the game.

Helping more in the back check will go a long ways too....AV doesn't like those loafers so if he doesn't pick it up he could find himself in the dog house real quick.

I hope he does i hope the team brings their lunch pail play for each other and show they are willing to do the dirty work to get more Ws in the win column. Everyone will need to be rowing in unison. Will they??? We'll see real soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@JR Ewing

@ruxpin

Full disclosure I like Jake, I also understand the type of player he is. Which is to say he's a high event guy, when the puck is on his stick **** happens. Mostly, those events are good  or neutral sometimes not. He shows up on the score sheet consistently he is growing into a leader, he is one of Mrs Mojo's favorites because he cares.  I could do without his thin skin and wish he'd shoot the puck more . 

He's this teams version of Jeff Carter, i get that too.

Sorry i didn't read rux's post before i posted i just read your and responded or i would have saved myself the typing and just said yeah what @ruxpin said.