Don't Look now .. Flyers current standings

pilldoc

Don't look now but despite all our b***** and moaning the Flyers at this point in time are :

1) tied for the 6th most points in the League .....

2) 4th in the Eastern Conference

3) would be 3rd seed in Met Division

If the Playoffs started today ( and yes tons of hockey to play) Tampa (who had that phenomenal season last year) would  be outside looking in.

Just some food for thought .....

Carry on ....

image.thumb.png.a2229a28cf529128ba807ee9f4c6eb6d.pngimage.png.0279d156bba0b955ab277a0f94b03074.png

image.png.97aed837663094fd0bfc3726ea8e7824.png 

Edited by pilldoc

10 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Just some food for thought .....

I said a few weeks ago they might be really good if the big guns start scoring and well....goals by Ghost, Hayes and JVR are the guys expected to contribute to scoring and have struggled.

So now they have found the back of the net the next question is can they keep it going. If they can they may be able to sustain this.

There are getting good goaltending....that there is really refreshing. Still a lot of hockey left to be played.

They are 7-1-4 at home so having home ice advantage is a nice feel too. Just keep the pedal to the metal.

Keep grinding.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Is there anything more JVR-like than him scoring the last goal in a 6-1 win?

Yeah him coasting and watching everyone work on the only goal they gave up instead of skating to really catchup and help.

So maybe if he came to work to actually help it might have been Hart's second shutout....

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

He’s like the guy that picks up a beast at the local bar at 4am and calls himself a cassanova. The 4am special.

(spitting up my drink) OMG ...that is so funny  .....post of the morning! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

He’s like the guy that picks up a beast at the local bar at 4am and calls himself a cassanova. The 4am special.

Hey don't knock @ruxpin style a man has to do what a man has to do.

Most important part is he isn't backed up...

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah him coasting and watching everyone work on the only goal they gave up instead of skating to really catchup and help.

So maybe if he came to work to actually help it might have been Hart's second shutout....

The guy could be a really good player...if he actually cared.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Sitting 3rd in the Metro, one point behind the Islanders who went on a 17 game point streak.  Me likely!!

But they can't be complacent the Canes are 2 points behind them, Pens 3.

Rangers have 2 games in hand and sit 6 points back.

Point is they have dug themselves out a hole and i am proud of them they have stuck together and found a way that is a what a good team does with a good coaching staff (don't report me for the positive comments i won't do it anymore.).

But to stay above ground and where they sit they will have to keep their nose down and continue to grind.

They have a little rest in the next two weeks and have a 3 game home stand starting tuesday with the revamped Leafs followed by the Yotes thursday and saturday vs the Senators.

Then 3 whole days off before a 3 game road trip with Avs, Wild and the Jets (back to back the only one of the month) before returning home.

13 total games spread over 31 days not that bad. But they need to keep this thing rolling.

Hoping for another good month.

• Like 1

The unsung acquisition has to be hands down the trade for Matt Niskanen.

Man he has done wonders bringing out the best in the team but most importantly the best in the Flyers #1 defenseman.

Giving up Gudas and the pick in my mind was priceless and Chuckles needs to be given credit.

I have always know Niskanen was a very good player but since him being in the orange and black it is comparable to the trade for Kimmo Timonen.

Image result for matt niskanen bloody nose image

Kimmo would be proud. #warrior

He has helped stabilize the backend and better yet Provo Cop. Having him on the books already for next year is going to be huge moving forward.

Can't believe the Caps traded this guy for Matt. Thanks Washington. I don't care what anyone says this was a steal for Philly.

Niskanen has been a great influence in his growth. 52 points would be his best season to date if it happens.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The unsung acquisition has to be hands down the trade for Matt Niskanen.

Man he has done wonders bringing out the best in the team but most importantly the best in the Flyers #1 defenseman.

Giving up Gudas and the pick in my mind was priceless and Chuckles needs to be given credit.

I have always know Niskanen was a very good player but since him being in the orange and black it is comparable to the trade for Kimmo Timonen.

Who'da thunk it.   One of the only -- if not the only -- moves over the summer that I liked with no reservation.  I didn't actually dislike any of them, but I had reservations on some (Braun, for example, though was mostly hopeful and good with it).  To me, the Niskanen trade was a really good move that I really liked that has gone only slightly better than I thought.   

Yeah, I agree, at the very least he's helped stabilize and mentor the defense.   Gotta like it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thanks Washington. I don't care what anyone says this was a steal for Philly

Hands down.  It really was at the time.

And considering Gudas has already sunk to the third pairing on the Caps, it's not even close.  

I'm by no means an expert on Corsi/Fenwick/etc., but from the limited understanding I have of them, Gudas' numbers are horrible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Hands down.  It really was at the time.

And considering Gudas has already sunk to the third pairing on the Caps, it's not even close.  

I'm by no means an expert on Corsi/Fenwick/etc., but from the limited understanding I have of them, Gudas' numbers are horrible.

It's probably a win-win. Caps get cap relief this year by taking Gudas AND getting the Flyers to retain, and Gudas comes off the books at the end of the year... and the Caps are still running away with the division.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's probably a win-win. Caps get cap relief this year by taking Gudas AND getting the Flyers to retain, and Gudas comes off the books at the end of the year... and the Caps are still running away with the division.

All true.  

It's just not the highway robbery that most Caps' fans and many Flyers' fans thought the Caps pulled off.    Not sure Gudas has anything to do with their running away with the division, but in the few Caps games I've seen, I don't think he was playing badly despite being dropped to the third pair.

• Like 2

I've said this somewhere else on this site, they couldn't clinch a playoff spot in November, but that could've played themselves out of one.

They haven't done that. So that's a win.

I *think* I see improvement, one of the big things I have hated watching this team is when they get pinned into their d-zone and can't clear, all 5 guys are below the dots and a puck rims to a point that the other team's d-man casually skates over to and keeps the pressure on.

This scenario happens far less this year than in the past. 

There's better speed throughout the lineup, bigger players and guys are competing along the walls more. 

Guys feel comfortable skating the puck out of and into the play zones, the Flyers can still be forechecked but it requires the right mix of players from both teams for it to be really effective. 

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All true.  

It's just not the highway robbery that most Caps' fans and many Flyers' fans thought the Caps pulled off.    Not sure Gudas has anything to do with their running away with the division, but in the few Caps games I've seen, I don't think he was playing badly despite being dropped to the third pair.

Yeah, I just meant that even without Niskanen, they're running away with the division. 

The two teams were coming at the trade with different needs.

• Like 1