Game 63: Sharks at Flyers; 2/25/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

On paper, we are a better team.  San Jose has lost their last four.

But history says the Sharks own us, having taken eight of the last ten, and 80% overall.  

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2020/02/25/philadelphia-flyers-vs-san-jose-sharks-2/25/20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

This will be a good matchup. Management has signaled its faith in the coaching staff and players.  Now they have to deliver. 

I wonder if this is the line up:

Claude Giroux - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek

James van Riemsdyk - Kevin Hayes - Travis Konecny

Scott Laughton - Derek Grant  - Tyler Pitlick

Michael Raffl - Nate Thompson - Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Ivan Provorov - Matt Niskanen

Travis Sanheim - Philippe Myers

Robert Hagg - Justin Braun
Shayne Gostisbehere

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
38 Derek Grant - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 44 Nate Thompson - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Grant, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (healthy).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

SHARKS

28 Timo Meier - 19 Joe Thornton - 62 Kevin Labanc
9 Evander Kane - 70 Alexander True -11 Stefan Noesen
20 Marcus Sörensen - 46 Joel Kellman - 7 Dylan Gambrell
73 Noah Gregor - 40 Antti Suomela - xxxxxx

51 Radim Simek -- 88 Brent Burns
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic - 38 Mario Ferraro
67 Jacob Middleton - 72 Tim Heed
53 Nicolas Meloche

31 Martin Jones
30 Aaron Dell

Power Play 1: Kane, Thornton, Labanc, Meier, Burns
Power Play 2: Noesen, Sörensen, True, Ferraro, Heed

Scratches: 53 Nicolas Meloche or a recall forward (healthy), 68 Melker Karlsson (day-to-day, lower body).

IR: 39 Logan Couture (ankle fracture, Jan. 6), 65 Erik Karlsson (broken thumb, Feb. 14), 48 Tomas Hertl (torn ACL and torn MCL, Jan. 28), 5 Dalton Prout (concussion).

55 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I like the look of that line. A lot. Big, hard on the puck, and smart. Plus, all three have a sneaky scoring touch. 

Yeah i imagine there will be some line shuffling during the game trying to find the right line combos but these guys add the experience the kids were lacking and will not lose a lot of skill. 

So it looks like they gave Thompson Stewart's 44 jersey number which is a good sign we'll never see Chris in Philly again.

I hope these were good additions and they keep the win streak going tonight....i don't want another trap game loss.

Welcome aboard guys....get to work.

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
38 Derek Grant - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 44 Nate Thompson - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Hhhhmmmm this looks like a different lineup. One i think i like more Grant at 3rd line center and Thompson on the 4th.

Much tougher to play against. I think Laughton is better on the wing.

Edited by OccamsRazor

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not a fan of Laughton on the 2nd line... but not a fan of Raffl or Grant up there either.

JVR makes the most sense, but I seem to remember he and Hayes not really meshing. 

Maybe AV wants to spread the scoring out.

You have a shooter on each line. Theoretically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am going to let AV do his job.

Screw that noise. I should be coach. I would put NAK on the second. He can at least get the puck on net

I love that guy

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

On paper, we are a better team.  San Jose has lost their last four.

But history says the Sharks own us, having taken eight of the last ten, and 80% overall.  

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2020/02/25/philadelphia-flyers-vs-san-jose-sharks-2/25/20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

This will be a good matchup. Management has signaled its faith in the coaching staff and players.  Now they have to deliver. 

Gotta win this one.  The new guys stepping in has me worried, but I guess against the Sharks is as good a time as any.

The Flyers have another rough stretch coming up.  Home and Home against the Rangers who are making a huge push and are a mere 6 points out of the 8 spot.  They have two fluke injuries due to a car accident including the goalie who's been so hot, so maybe that'll help but no matter what the Flyers can't sleep on them.

Then it's the caps, canes, sabres, bruins and lightning.  They get a slightly less elite team in the Wild, but it goes back to bat **** crazy for a while after that.  

If they hold their position, they're certainly not going to get flat or bored going into the playoffs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hhhhmmmm this looks like a different lineup. One i think i like more Grant at 3rd line center and Thompson on the 4th.

Much tougher to play against. I think Laughton is better on the wing.

I'd kinda prefer to put Laughton with the new guy and I simply wouldn't insert them both into the lineup for the first time together.  

That said, there are no easier games for a while so...  I just really hope they plan to Bring back Farabee soon.  Grant is a good thing at C to help spell Giroux and Coots on the PK and some tougher D zone starts.  And I do agree that Farabee responds to a rest well and comes back strong as hell... but I want to see them take advantage of that and bring him back so we can see that strong play again.

17 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd kinda prefer to put Laughton with the new guy and I simply wouldn't insert them both into the lineup for the first time together.  

That said, there are no easier games for a while so...  I just really hope they plan to Bring back Farabee soon.  Grant is a good thing at C to help spell Giroux and Coots on the PK and some tougher D zone starts.  And I do agree that Farabee responds to a rest well and comes back strong as hell... but I want to see them take advantage of that and bring him back so we can see that strong play again.

I don't care really where they play as long as they get the win and preferably in regulation and get 4 in a row.

Do not sleep on these spoiler Sharks....go out get a lead and don't let your foot off the pedal keep it on their throat.

They may not be done climbing in the standings...3 points from the second spot in the Metro is right there for the taking.

Go get it!!!!!!

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I don't care really where they play as long as they get the win and preferably in regulation and get 4 in a row.

Do not sleep on these spoiler Sharks....go out get a lead and don't let your foot off the pedal keep it on their throat.

They may not be done climbing in the standings...3 points from the second spot in the Metro is right there for the taking.

Go get it!!!!!!

Absolutely!