Flyers 2020-21 season

28 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Question:

Does anybody know about Morin's status? I think this is his last year on contract. Is he in on the 7th D-man competition.  It's hard to believe he was drafted in 2013.....

He is under contract for next year for only 700K and he could more than likely replace Hagg as a 7th D man. Morin will be a RFA after next year again.

Hagg and Ghost could both be trade bait you never know. They have options i hope Friedman gets a good look next year in the bottom pairing.

Guess we'll see i sure hope Braun isn't back easily the worst D man on the team.

2020 NHL organizational rankings: No. 10 Philadelphia Flyers

https://theathletic.com/2034929/2020/09/07/2020-nhl-organizational-rankings-no-10-philadelphia-flyers/

For your enjoyment....can anyone help next year???

Player Ranking

1. Joel Farabee, LW, Philadelphia-NHL

Feb. 25, 2000 | six-foot | 163 pounds

Tier: High-end NHL player

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 65

Farabee played almost his entire 19-year-old season with the Flyers after leaving college following his freshman year. Farabee had a great camp and looked like he belonged at the top level playing at a 33-point pace over a full season. Farabee is a fun player to watch. He’s a player with a high skill level who makes a lot of plays, but is also a very competitive player who pressures opponents well and gets to the net. He doesn’t lean on his skill consistently, but it’s a big part of his game, and he can dazzle at a given moment. He’s a great playmaker who makes creative passes often and can improvise well under pressure to create chances. The main issue in Farabee’s game is his average footspeed. Given his lack of speed, he likely won’t become a top NHLer until he physically matures, but I think given his IQ and competitiveness he projects to become a top-line winger in the league as he develops.

2. Carter Hart, G, Philadelphia-NHL

Aug. 13, 1998 | 6-foot-2 | 181 pounds

Tier: High-end NHL player

Athleticism: 60

Hart was a solid NHL goalie in 2019-20, but very impressive for one of the youngest regular starting goalies in recent years in the NHL. Hart’s value primarily comes from his great hockey sense. He’s always impressed with how quickly and efficiently he processes the game. Even at the highest level, there isn’t a lot of panic in his game. He tracks and anticipates passing plays very well and moves to the right spot efficiently. He isn’t conservative though, as Hart challenges high when he needs to and has an active stick to break up plays. For a slightly undersized goalie, he doesn’t have truly elite lateral quickness, but he does have a powerful lower body and can explode across his crease quickly when he needs to make a tough save. NHL scouts praise his competitiveness and how well he’s handled the role for such a young goalie in the league. He looks like he will be a quality starting goalie in the league for a long time.

3. Nolan Patrick, C, Philadelphia-NHL

Sept. 19, 1998 | 6-foot-2 | 198 pounds

Tier: High-end/very good bubble

Skating: 55
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 60

Patrick is an extremely tough evaluation case. When healthy, Patrick’s toolkit is one that looks like a top-line forward all day long. The former No. 2 pick is a well-rounded player. He’s a right-handed center who skates at a quality NHL level. He has quick-twitch hands and a lot of creativity, with the ability to make skilled plays at full speed making him a dangerous player off entries. I wouldn’t say there’s any one aspect of his game that blows you away. He’s very smart but it’s not elite smarts, nor is his skill or speed, but he does all of those things very well. He’s also a competitive player who makes a lot of plays around the net. Patrick also missed the entire season due to migraine issues, which is why slotting his value is so tough for me as calibrating that risk seems almost impossible with the information I have. I incorporated some risk into his grading but I was conservative in how much I knocked him for the injury concerns until I know more.

4. Morgan Frost, C, Lehigh Valley-AHL

May 14, 1999 | 5-foot-11 | 170 pounds

Tier: High-end/very good bubble

Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 35

Frost had a successful first pro season, being named an All-Star in the AHL and playing a lengthy number of games with the Flyers where he looked like he belonged. Frost’s game is pure skill. In the AHL and NHL he showed immense confidence with the puck to attempt elite skill plays and can break open a shift with how he can deke through opponents. He’s also an extremely creative and intelligent playmaker who can make tough plays in small areas and run a power-play unit off the flank. He has the puck game to be a big-time scorer. Frost’s challenges will be on the physical side. He’s not that fast nor big, and versus men he had trouble getting around players and to the middle of the ice like he could in junior. I think he’s going to be a great NHL player, but he will need time to develop.

5. Egor Zamula, D, Calgary-WHL

March 30, 2000 | 6-foot-3 | 176 pounds

Tier: Very good NHL player

Physical Game: 60

Zamula is a player who has trended up significantly after being a free-agent signing out of junior. He was great at the world juniors where he was Russia’s No. 1 defenseman. Following the tournament, it was announced he would have season-ending back surgery but he returned for Philly’s camp in the restart. When he’s on the ice, Zamula is a very smart and poised puck-mover. The offensive parts of his game have continued to develop, and last season I saw truly dynamic skill from him. You add onto that he’s a 6-foot-3 defenseman who can kill rushes and win battles and it’s a very interesting package. His skating is not the best, and you don’t like hearing the words “back surgery” for a teenager but his health seems to be trending in a very positive manner.

6. Cam York, D, Michigan-Big Ten

Jan. 5, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 174 pounds

Physical Game: 40

York was a top player for Michigan, playing a lot of minutes as a freshman and a limited role at the world juniors. York’s poise with the puck is evident whenever he’s on the ice. He’s a heads-up passer who makes great exits consistently. He’s confident enough and talented enough with the puck to make highly-skilled plays and look for tough passes in the offensive zone. York’s skating is good enough to pull away from checkers and create off the blue line. He can pull away from guys but his skating won’t be his main selling point. Given his brain and skating combo he can defend well enough at his 5-foot-11 size to project to hold his own at the higher levels, although scouts think in the NHL his value will come more from his offense.

7. Bobby Brink, RW, Denver-NCHC

July 8, 2001 | 5-foot-8 | 163 pounds

Physical Game: 25

Brink was impressive as a freshman, scoring at a near point per game pace and being a top player for Denver. He stands out with the puck on his stick. Brink is full of skill, and offensive creativity. He makes tough plays off the flank with space, and in tight areas when he needs to improvise. He’s a fantastic passer who can create chances in bunches and projects to run a power play at the pro level. Brink has a good shot too and can beat goalies from mid-range if given space. He prefers to make a play or shoot the puck, but he has slippery skill to make plays through defenders. The puck game is unquestionable, but Brink’s detractors point to his 5-foot-8 frame and wonky skating stride. I thought his skating looked more powerful this season and he showed an ability to pull away and get around the ice well. The technique is still not great and his stride can break down and flail as often as he is able to turn defenders around. I think he’s quick enough and competes well enough to make it but debates about him rage on in NHL scouting circles.

8. Ronnie Attard, D, Western Michigan-NCHC

March 20, 1999 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds

Tier: Legit NHL player

Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 55
Shot: 60

There aren’t a lot of players who get drafted in their third eligible season with 84 points in 144 USHL games I think will become an NHL player, but I think Attard will be the exception based on what I’ve seen the last two years. I see a player who has a lot of what you want in an NHL player and was impressive in college. He’s a 6-foot-3 right-handed defenseman who can skate. He closes gaps and jumps up into attacks well due to his skating. Attard’s offensive game has developed over the years. He’s got sneaky skill to make plays through opponents, he can find seams and has a hard shot from the point. I don’t see an NHL power-play type and his playmaking isn’t consistent, but he can move the puck fine. I see a player with a lot of potential.

9. Wade Allison, RW, Western Michigan-NCHC

Oct. 14, 1997 | 6-foot-2 | 205 pounds

Allison had four solid, albeit unspectacular, college seasons. His toolkit looks like a no-doubt NHL player. He’s 6-foot-2, he can skate, he has great hands, and he can shoot the puck at a high level. On his best days where he’s flying around the ice, making plays at speed and getting to the net he can be a handful to deal with. It’s why I’ve talked to scouts for years who think he can be a top-six NHL player. Allison can be inconsistent though and while he has fine hockey sense I don’t think he makes a ton of plays to his teammates, which is why other scouts are skeptical his game is going to work in the big leagues. I think there’s too much talent for him not to make it, but he will need to show up more often versus men.

10. Noah Cates, LW, Minnesota-Duluth-NCHC

Feb. 5, 1999 | 6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Puck Skills: 55

Cates was one of the top players in the NCHC and was named a second-team All-American. Cates isn’t going to jump off the page to you. He has a so-so skating stride and isn’t going to pop with speed or skill. He’s a very intelligent and competitive player though. He wins a lot of battles. He can kill penalties. He makes a lot of clever plays with the puck and can shoot it well. Cates shows flashes of offensive creativity as a handler and passer. There are times when I wonder if it’s enough, but he’s been so good in college the last two seasons for a top team that I think he could play at the bottom of an NHL lineup.

11. Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Lehigh Valley-AHL

Feb. 15, 1999 | 6-foot-6 | 201 pounds

Skating: 40
Physical Game: 80

Ratcliffe had an up-and-down rookie pro season, with very good flashes but struggled to generate consistent offense and didn’t get a ton of power-play time with Lehigh Valley. Despite his 15-point season I still see way too many good attributes that I think he’s going to make it. He’s a 6-foot-6 forward with a high skill level. With his wingspan and skill, Ratcliffe has the ability to beat pros one-on-one and open up shifts. He can make plays and finish them well. I wouldn’t call him a top-end playmaker, but he has good flashes with the puck. He competes well, and can play in the hard areas of the ice. Ratcliffe’s main hindrance from making the NHL will be his footspeed and whether he can handle the NHL pace. I think he’s so talented he can do it despite his quickness, but he will need to prove it in the AHL first.

12. Tanner Laczynski, C, Ohio State-Big Ten

June 1, 1997 | 6-foot-1 | 205 pounds

Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50

Laczynski has been a very good college player for the past four seasons at OSU, often being one of the better forwards in the nation, but he never had a truly dominant season. He’s a very smart two-way center. He’s got the high-end brain to run a power play and to make tough plays in small areas. He has good puck skills and can make plays through defenders. Even though he’s never posted huge goal totals, he has a very good shot, with the ability to score from range. I attribute his low goal totals to more of a pass-first mentality. He competes well off the puck, showing a two-way mentality that will endear him to coaches. Laczynski’s skating is the main thing that will hold him back from possibly being an NHL player as his quickness is very average and he lacks a true separation gear. It’s why some NHL scouts think he won’t make it, but others think he has enough positive attributes to overcome that.

NHL potential

Jack St. Ivany, D, Yale-ECAC: St. Ivany is interesting as a 6-foot-3 right-handed defenseman who can move the puck and is smart defensively. His skating has hampered him for a while but it’s good enough to be a relevant prospect.

Mason Millman, D, Saginaw-OHL: Millman has progressed well, earning an invite to Canada’s U20 camp this summer after a strong second OHL season. He’s a mobile defenseman who can move the puck and make stops with his feet and physical play. His offensive touch isn’t that interesting but he showed good flashes of top-level vision last season.

Ivan Fedotov, G, Chelyabinsk-KHL: Fedotov had a successful season in the KHL, being a quality goalie in that league. He’s a monster at 6-foot-6 and moves reasonably well for a goalie of that size. I’m not convinced his processing speed or lateral quickness are clear NHL quality, but he has good flashes and is an intriguing athlete.

Samuel Ersson, G, Brynas-SHL: Ersson is a very intelligent and efficient goalie with a sharp glove hand who was brilliant in the 2019 season in the Allsvenskan and at the world juniors. He’s not that big or quick, though, so he had a tougher time in the SHL in 2020.

Ginning, D, Linkoping-SHL: Ginning is a big defenseman who competes hard and shows good two-way sense. His game lacks much in terms of speed and skill however.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, Digityman said:

I'm in the same boat as @mojo1917 and @BobbyClarkeFan16.   I don't think there needs to be a major overhaul.

• Moving JVR is a must in my mind.   Regardless of the return.  It was a stupid move from the 2nd beginning.
  • Moving Voracek for the right deal would be good also.
  • Thompson & Grant need to go also obviously.

Remember that having Patrick (who I believe will be back and is a top 6 player) and Lindblom back drastically changes this lineup without losing anybody.    Plugging these two in pushes Farabee back to 3rd line where he belongs right now, Laughton to wing and brings in Frost who is ready and should be in the lineup next year.

1. Giroux - Couturier - Patrick.  There was a suggestion about trying Patrick at wing which I think might be a good one. 
  2. Lindblom - Hayes - Konecny.   Remember this line crushed it for a time before Lindblom went out
  3. Farabee - Frost - NAK.   It's a young line but if they click they could really be fast and effective.
  4. Laughton - Pitlick - Raffl.   Laughton has proven better on the wing, Pitlick/Raffl are players you need on your cup winning team. 

Waiting in the wings:  Allison, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Brink, Rubtsov, O'Brien

1. Provorov - Niskanen
  2. Sanheim - Myers.   This is your 2nd pair for a decade
  3. Ghost - Friedman.  Swap any of these with those below as needed.
  4. Hagg

Waiting in the wings:  York, Zamula, Morin

That to me is a team that can compete for the cup for several years.  Often times I think people forget the Flyers have one of the highest ranked (8 of 31 according to THN) prospect pool, still.....  (Thanks Hexy)

Let’s say we are stuck with  Giroux, JVR and Jake and cannot unload them, which is highly probable. We have two centers that are very similar in  Coots and Hayes.  Hayes is making 8 million and Coots contract is up and  is due a big raise soon. Do we really need two kinda  slow  defensive centers both soon to be making 8million each?  In order to build the proper chemistry and balance maybe you shop Coots and see what offers are out there. If we got two firsts for Schenn, we can clean up in a trade for Coots. I’m not talking about trading him for draft picks that won’t help us until 3-4 years from now, I’m talking about getting a high end young NHL player , plus a blue chip prospect and a first rounder. If we can’t get a huge return for Coots, then you don’t make a deal. If we package Ghost and Coots , you can make a big overall improvement of this team. I love Coots and he is great, but in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. We are not getting an impact player for a couple of 32 year old, overpaid underachievers With diminishing skills like Jake and JVR. If you look at our team, Coots gets us the most significant return hands down.

22 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Question:

Does anybody know about Morin's status? I think this is his last year on contract. Is he in on the 7th D-man competition.  It's hard to believe he was drafted in 2013.....

One of the dark horses to play for the Phantoms this coming year...

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Let’s say we are stuck with  Giroux, JVR and Jake and cannot unload them, which is highly probable. We have two centers that are very similar in  Coots and Hayes.  Hayes is making 8 million and Coots contract is up and  is due a big raise soon. Do we really need two kinda  slow  defensive centers both soon to be making 8million each?  In order to build the proper chemistry and balance maybe you shop Coots and see what offers are out there. If we got two firsts for Schenn, we can clean up in a trade for Coots. I’m not talking about trading him for draft picks that won’t help us until 3-4 years from now, I’m talking about getting a high end young NHL player , plus a blue chip prospect and a first rounder. If we can’t get a huge return for Coots, then you don’t make a deal. If we package Ghost and Coots , you can make a big overall improvement of this team. I love Coots and he is great, but in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. We are not getting an impact player for a couple of 32 year old, overpaid underachievers With diminishing skills like Jake and JVR. If you look at our team, Coots gets us the most significant return hands down.

I do agree with a lot of this. I'm with you absolutely on how we're not getting magic out of trading Jake or JVR. I've seen some folks on here who have an awful habit of overvaluing trades like that (not to mention prospects...), and I'm really not sure why. 

Look at it this way: The team as is stands really appears to be missing top-end scorers. Scoring it turns out is really the whole point of Jake and JVR, and yet we're hoping to be rid of them in order to get younger and better scorers. No one is making a trade like that. Realistically, Jake may net us a 2nd round pick and some mid-six prospect, and JVR isn't even getting us that.

Ghost is the worst of the bunch. It's telling how our PP was horrible throughout the playoffs, yet Ghost was never dressed. He may be moved, but it won't be for anything that helps fill the gaps on this team.

We have a pretty good supportive forward cast already with guys like TK, Hayes, Farabee, Raffl, and Lindblom, and then we have Frost and who knows about Patrick. What we need is top end talent, not more supportive pieces.

I also do agree with you that Couts would command a very significant return. That said, Couts is a top line 2-way center on most teams in this league right now. Hayes is a fine player, but he doesn't have the offensive capabilities to be a top line center. I'm not very comfortable trading our best center -- and a very good one at that -- without having someone else who may be ready to take his place. I'm almost certain that would turn out poorly for us.

On the point of Giroux, I agree we're very unlikely to move him. Even if Fletch wanted to -- which he may not -- he has all the cards with his NMC. He's been in PHI his whole professional career and has a new baby and wife at home. I just don't see it happening.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Fukcen Reported man.

Ha ha, I know Coots is our best player ,  but we can’t trade Hayes due to the FA rules The other alternative is to suffer with JVR, G and Voracek with their 7-9 million $ contracts for another three years and when Coots goes up to 8 million, plus Hayes is at 8 million, that’s a lot of money to pay for mediocrity. I don’t see where our high end talent is coming from to improve this team unless we trade our best player or Patrick , Farabee and Frost turn into star players.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The other alternative is to suffer with JVR, G and Voracek with their 7-9 million $ contracts for another three years

First off I would be picking up the phone to call two teams off the bat with the cap space.

The Avs and offer Jake as an upgrade to Nichushkin.

Or the Sens as a upgrade to Connor Brown.

It's a start have to find out if they are interested first before talking about what I'd want in return.

But it is a start because all 3 can't come back next year.

You're not going to get a super star like Chabot back but you can get piece of value in return.

The 3rd team would be LA as upgrade to Trevor Lewis.

JVR I would try after moving Jake and I would even offer to eat a million of his salary for each of the last 3 years of his remaining contract if it couldn't be done straight up.

But anyone here thinking they can't move these guys haven't been paying attention to the trades the last several years.

You're not moving them for a McDavid or Eichel in return but you can get some good value back for them.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

First off I would be picking up the phone to call two teams off the bat with the cap space.

The Avs and offer Jake as an upgrade to Nichushkin.

Or the Sens as a upgrade to Connor Brown.

It's a start have to find out if they are interested first before talking about what I'd want in return.

But it is a start because all 3 can't come back next year.

You're not going to get a super star like Chabot back but you can get piece of value in return.

The 3rd team would be LA as upgrade to Trevor Lewis.

JVR I would try after moving Jake and I would even offer to eat a million of his salary for each of the last 3 years of his remaining contract if it couldn't be done straight up.

But anyone here thinking they can't move these guys haven't been paying attention to the trades the last several years.

You're not moving them for a McDavid or Eichel in return but you can get some good value back for them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t Giroux originally from Ottawa ? Would they be interested in Giroux? Maybe he would waive his NMC to play for his hometown team?

13 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t Giroux originally from Ottawa ? Would they be interested in Giroux? Maybe he would waive his NMC to play for his hometown team?

Well see that is the second part of my plan is maybe next year once you have shipped his friend up there maybe he would be more inclined to waive his NMC to go home and join him.

Because I can't see them moving JVR, Jake and Giroux in one offseason.

But move his friends out and let's see.

The best we can hope for is another season in the bubble. If they go back to selling seats the corporates will be preaching more mediocrity and sneaking into the playoffs. 5 years of Hextall got this franchise pretty much nothing. There is only one measuring stick. Cups. Its really hard to fathom how the 2nd most competitive player in franchise history (Hexy) compiled the softest lineup in the league. 

I don't think moving JVR, Giroux and Voracek would be as difficult as some might think. Fact is, all three are 20+ goal scorers who would thrive in a secondary or tertiary role. 

I could see a team like Colorado being interested in Giroux and I think a guy like Tyson Jost with a prospect like Shane Bowers could easily be done. He and Mackinnon on the pp would be lethal. 

Voracek could bring in a good prospect and a 2nd. 

JVR might be the most difficult to move, but then again, he'd be a deadline type acquisition and could be exposed to the expansion draft afterwards. There's some value there for a club. 

The big issue would be selling it to ownership. This is a franchise that is hell bent on icing veterans regardless. Young players are made to sit or play in roles to support veterans. Management would have to sell ownership on the idea of going with a very young core. 

Personally, if Vigneault and Fletcher feel that Frost is ready for the big show and if Ratcliffe is ready to make the jump, that might be an easier sell. 

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The big issue would be selling it to ownership. This is a franchise that is hell bent on icing veterans regardless. Young players are made to sit or play in roles to support veterans. Management would have to sell ownership on the idea of going with a very young core. 

Personally, if Vigneault and Fletcher feel that Frost is ready for the big show and if Ratcliffe is ready to make the jump, that might be an easier sell. 

My gut says that if we are living in a flat cap era, ownership might be happy with youngins who show promise and move the needle in 2-3 years.  I don't think the Comcast Brigade is dumb. They saw what we saw in the last three weeks.  This squad will need a lot of work to become elite.  I just don't think they will tolerate a five-year slog ala Hextall, who had to spend time getting out of cap hell.  

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My gut says that if we are living in a flat cap era, ownership might be happy with youngins who show promise and move the needle in 2-3 years.  I don't think the Comcast Brigade is dumb. They saw what we saw in the last three weeks.  This squad will need a lot of work to become elite.  I just don't think they will tolerate a five-year slog ala Hextall, who had to spend time getting out of cap hell.  

Yeah they had to have seen what we have seen and hard to see the older guys getting older and better.

CF: I like to do everything from a collaborative standpoint. But it was clear to me from the playoffs, that we didn't get enough over the latter 13 games from our bottom 6. A healthy Lindblom and Patrick will help to address that. Other thing is defensive depth.

WTF?

The lack of production from the top line until facing elimination especially their Captain and he is worried about the bottom 6?

Dear Gawd....

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
CF: I like to do everything from a collaborative standpoint. But it was clear to me from the playoffs, that we didn't get enough over the latter 13 games from our bottom 6. A healthy Lindblom and Patrick will help to address that. Other thing is defensive depth.

WTF?

The lack of production from the top line until facing elimination especially their Captain and he is worried about the bottom 6?

Dear Gawd....

Unfortunately, since Bill has become a writer for the Flyers, his journalistic integrity has taken a hit. He used to call things as they were previously, but now he's more prone to placate the organization. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Unfortunately, since Bill has become a writer for the Flyers, his journalistic integrity has taken a hit. He used to call things as they were previously, but now he's more prone to placate the organization. 

I just don't know what Chuckles is talking about Laughton was a bottom 6 and lead the team in goals, Raffl was tied for second with 4. And NAK and Pitlick had 2 so that isn't outstanding for the bottom 6 but the top guys like TK with zero is what was wrong with this club.

45 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This is a direct quote from the GM how is this bad journalism ?

There are plenty of opportunities to talk about poor judgment and compromised values in today's media.

Using this direct quote is a poor example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Holy crap , Don Lemon and Fredo Cuomo of Fake News CNN are more credible than this ridiculous story.

29 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Holy crap , Don Lemon and Fredo Cuomo of Fake News CNN are more credible than this ridiculous story.

It's not fake. It is a quote folks from the GM.

There were a few I just didn't post them all but this one struck me as odd.

They didn't lose because of the lack of production from the bottom 6. 

Now granted their late season acquisitions Grant and Thompson laid a turd but I have to lay it on the feet of the guys who make all the money and who were supposed to be setting the tone.