Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

TropicalFruitGirl26

MJoh.jpg.b7ddb0435951d6a52e0ba714c819dd12.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/news/minnesota-wild-trade-eric-staal-to-buffalo-sabres-for-marcus-johansson/c-319062372?tid=278542340

Staal to Buffalo, Johansson to Minnesota.

Two expiring contracts where the Wild pick the more expensive of the players (4.5M cap for Johansson vs 3.25M cap for Staal), but Johansson is younger at 29 vs Staal's 35.

Between this trade and the Bjugstad one, seems Minnesota is taking flyers on players and is going to use this upcoming season as an audition.

Johansson has had his best years with the team that drafted him, the Washington Capitals, though by "best", we are talking a 45-50 pt player.....career high of 58 points done once.

Didn't seem to do much for the fortunes of the Devils and Sabres, so he will look to try once again for the Minnesota Wild.

Not a bad trade.
Once again, if he doesn't work out and the Wild don't much like what they see from him in the upcoming season, they just let him go.
Trading an older player who really isn't in the team's long term plans for a younger one with upside is never a bad thing.
He can also play any forward position so there is versatility as well.

Well, the Wild might not be better, but at least a slow team got a little faster.   I assume this trade is simply a small puzzle piece,, a stop gap until whether by draft and/or another trade, they find two young (25 and under)  top 6 centers for the intermediate to long term future.

• Like 1

The Minnesota Wild Trade Eric Staal for Marcus Johansson

(sigh)  Good thing the season hasn't started yet, I'm not sure I'm ready for 2-3 articles per day.  Anyways, its an interesting move for a team that already had one reclamation project to deal with.  Enjoy and discuss...

I'm most indifferent about it.  If the Wild got a 'steal' in the deal with Pittsburgh, Buffalo probably got a steal in this one.  

• Like 2

Brilliant. We got ourseleves another Johansson. Coaching pee wee, all I had to do is say, "Justin....get out there," and five guys jumped over the boards. So in about two years' time we will have Marcus Johannson at center, and Simon Johansson and Filip Johansson on the defense. At a minimum, this could cause confusion for Wild opponents. "Keep an eye on Johansson out there," a coach might instruct. "Which one, coach?"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Minnesota Wild Trade Eric Staal for Marcus Johansson

(sigh)  Good thing the season hasn't started yet, I'm not sure I'm ready for 2-3 articles per day.  Anyways, its an interesting move for a team that already had one reclamation project to deal with.  Enjoy and discuss...

I'm most indifferent about it.  If the Wild got a 'steal' in the deal with Pittsburgh, Buffalo probably got a steal in this one.  

Well written once again! Interesting to hear Guerin wants to see more of Rask.

But Staal for Johansson? On the surface one would think a good move; getting younger and faster. IMO the reality is quite different. Johansson has underperformed a while now and has some health issues too. This move (too) wasn't made to improve the Wild, it's a marketing stunt. Unless Johansson produces something extraordinary next season.

Anyone want to check out how many points the Wild's new group of centers amassed last season or the season before that? ...

This is what a rebuild looks like. In the worst, and not even unlikely, scenario the Wild might be fighting to be the worst team next season.

Although if this is the way to get Parise, Suter and even Zuccarello voluntarily to move the NMC in their contracts, Guerin might prove to be a sneaky little fellow...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

If we now trade Dumba for Monahan we can rename Minnesota Wild as Minnesota Reclamation Project. Jokes aside, I can live with this. Now we really need a 1C, and if acquiring one fails, we're rebuilding, no matter what the owner thinks.

I would LOVE to see the Wild get Monahan for Dumba!

As far as Big E. for the soft, underperforming, underwhelming M. Johanssen.  Meh.   Good deal for Buff adding an experienced, classy Vet with a very reasonable contract.    Johannsen is just another warm body to fill a sweater until the Wild finds some real players.  Just some change for the sake of change.

Edited by Fargocase

6 hours ago, DirtofMinny said:

Kountry Klub atmosphere being addressed.  2 founding members still active.  We will see if this gets them motivated.  I wonder who will wear the "C" this year.  I kinda like Foligno for that.....

Elliotte Friedmann wrote that the trade is Guerin's way of telling the Wild the room is too comfortable for them:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-matt-dumba-next-wild-trade-block/

And yeah, I also think Foligno has all the right qualities of a captain.

19 hours ago, DirtofMinny said:

Kountry Klub atmosphere being addressed.  2 founding members still active.  We will see if this gets them motivated.  I wonder who will wear the "C" this year.  I kinda like Foligno for that.....

I think Wild adding some washed-up players to its roster can only motivate Parise and Suter to think about leaving the team, not playing better than before.

Both of them have 5 more years of NMCs, $35 mil. coming their way whatever their level of play is,... yeah, if I were Guerin I'd try and sign even more fringe players. 

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I think Wild adding some washed-up players to its roster can only motivate Parise and Suter to think about leaving the team, not playing better than before.

Both of them have 5 more years of NMCs, $35 mil. coming their way whatever their level of play is,... yeah, if I were Guerin I'd try and sign even more fringe players. 

I agree lol I'm all for 1 year fringe player contracts or reclamation projects that expire soon if it will make Parise and Suter both want out. Getting out from one or both of those contracts would be huge moving forward. At this point the Wild HAVE to get worse to get better.. they f'd around too much trying to just put band aids on long-term problems with the roster and trying to adjust on the fly without actually rebuilding.

As for MJ.. I don't know enough about the guy to even comment on him as a player. I don't follow Buffalo too closely. I guess I'm just hoping he comes in, plays as a serviceable center and stays healthy. Can't find those centers we need if you don't kick tires on everything.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

I agree lol I'm all for 1 year fringe player contracts or reclamation projects that expire soon if it will make Parise and Suter both want out. Getting out from one or both of those contracts would be huge moving forward. At this point the Wild HAVE to get worse to get better.. they f'd around too much trying to just put band aids on long-term problems with the roster and trying to adjust on the fly without actually rebuilding.

As for MJ.. I don't know enough about the guy to even comment on him as a player. I don't follow Buffalo too closely. I guess I'm just hoping he comes in, plays as a serviceable center and stays healthy. Can't find those centers we need if you don't kick tires on everything.

What I've seen of him; he's a finesse player, little shy of body contact. One of those players who looks good with the right players around him, not someone who makes players around him play better. And Staal has played as many games in the last 2 seasons than Johansson in the last 4.

The Wild did trade their #1 center in exchange. Now the team is loaded with 2nd or 3rd line centers. For what? To see if anyone pans out? And if anyone does, they'll lock him up for the next 4-5 years at $5 mil. a year. and wonder after the first slump year, what went wrong. IMO the team has been kicking tires long enough, time to start scouting better. So many ifs regarding both Johansson and Bjugstad.

Unless Guerin has a plan to go on full rebuild mode, these moves doesn't make sense to me.

The team is loaded with "2nd or 3rd line centers" that would be 3rd and 4th line centers on any other team. Staal was our #1 but he's not a true #1 anymore in the NHL imo he's just the best we had. When you plan on scouting and drafting for that spot you aren't guaranteed anything either and probably have a couple of years before the player is ready to be a #1 or #2 center in the NHL unless its a elite/franchise/generational player.. which we never seem to be in the position to draft.  I don't think its smart to stop kicking tires on all possible fits with expiring contracts just because the former regimes sucked at kicking and re-signing. I agree on the big "ifs" of Bjugstad and Johansson and don't think they'll have a crazy turn around but even if they don't they'll either end up out at the deadline if someone is interested in a rental or at the end of the season if no one is interested in center depth at the deadline. I think the big thing is this team not handing out more stupid contracts with NTCs and NMCs.. we've all had it with that bs in the past.. and while its not Guerinteed 😂 rental players on expiring deals and a bad season might be your best bet to land in the area where you can pick that top six center of the future.. it just might be some rough hockey to watch for a couple seasons. 

The big thing is setting this team up for the Seattle expansion draft correctly to make sure we don't get a repeat of the Great Vegas Giveaway. That was rough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 9:55 PM, lynxrattle said:

Elliotte Friedmann wrote that the trade is Guerin's way of telling the Wild the room is too comfortable for them:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-matt-dumba-next-wild-trade-block/

And yeah, I also think Foligno has all the right qualities of a captain.

I've been promoting that since last season. Foligno has proven he's the heart of the team and that to me qualifies as a captain.
He shows leadership on the ice in many ways and calls out his team when needed.

Edited by ClusterChuck