Free Agency

CoachX

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

lots of good points Howie. I agree on some (Lindblom and Patrick)

I dont think the franchise thinks they overachieved. They built the team to compete in the playoffs and they did. This coaching staff, Nisky and Hayes,  were brought in for that reason. I just don't see them tapping the brakes. G and Jake are getting older, if they are playing a development game, by the time it peaks, they will be worse, and now you have those holes to fill. As for Ghost, I think he is fortunate that his skill set is in demand. I see him being part of a deal that brings an offensive sniper type in. And as these young guys develop, I think some players that are coveted by many on this forum, will find themselves on other teams

I see him being a part of a deal for a sniper, as well. Ghost just doesn't have a role here, anymore. Thing is, I want a sniper that can do some other things. I like Laine but we need a more physical player, that can snipe, IMO.

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I see him being a part of a deal for a sniper, as well. Ghost just doesn't have a role here, anymore. Thing is, I want a sniper that can do some other things. I like Laine but we need a more physical player, that can snipe, IMO.

But, who is that guy?

Just now, FD19372 said:

Laine is a little soft, like too many of the Flyers

i get that. But how many "soft" dynamic players were able to kick ass and be top performers

if the flyers traded for him, and he scored 40 goals next season to lead the team, I wouldn't be bitching about how soft he was

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

i get that. But how many "soft" dynamic players were able to kick ass and be top performers

if the flyers traded for him, and he scored 40 goals next season to lead the team, I wouldn't be bitching about how soft he was

I wouldn't be, but we need those type of players as well. There aren't nearly enough of them on this roster. Those players create space for Laine, Konecny and Giroux.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I wouldn't be, but we need those type of players as well. There aren't nearly enough of them on this roster. Those players create space for Laine, Konecny and Giroux.

i dont disagree. But it might be easier finding a rugged guy than an elite sniper. And in the playofffs, they needed a real scoring threat

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

unless we make moves, we are the laughing stock of the east.

I'm wondering how much of a disconnect there currently is between the management of the team, and the fanbase. I would say there is quite a bit of one at the moment.

• Like 1

One of the MAIN problems is the expansion draft and coinciding with resigning our players. If it was one problem it would be easier to move forward.

Taylor Hall is no guarantee, what if his output is like G? And in the playoffs = 2 assists? Then the trifecta stacking against all teams is the possible and most likely FROZEN cap increase. That's a lot of $H1t to throw at a GM. WTFrijoles you talkin' bout. Now CTT said if he see's a move that makes the team better at COST he will do it. I want AP but remember when we had a GM who thought like that and went for it (in his mind VLC was the guy to grab) Is AP worth losing one of Sanheim or Myers? Does he push us over the edge when we don't know if G, Jake, TK will score us goals in the playoffs for the next 2-3 years before AP declines and on the books.

I think it's short-sighted BUT it definitely raises us to win a cup, but at the cost that if we don't, we'll be screwed by loosing our 2 year process*(*5 year process) that we were told and are now seeing unfold.

• Good Post 1

40 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

unless we make moves, we are the laughing stock of the east.

Relax. The young guys need to play. That is the reality. The cap is flat for the next three years, so that prevents the club from going free agent shopping. There are also multiple players who will need new deals over the next couple of years. For the most part, the Flyers are in decent shape. The biggest problem is there is nearly 24 million tied up into three veterans who are on the downside of their careers, but management thinks they can still win with these guys. On top of it, they can't exactly move them. They're stuck with them and it prevents any sort of progress. So might as well get as many kids into the lineup as possible, get them playing a lot and having them learn what Vigneault wants. Some might call it a step back. I call it resetting the bar and building things right. And sometimes that is a big step forward in the building process. Get the right pieces in place first and then supplement and build around that. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

I would prefer that AV mold the young pieces to playing the right way so that when we get the final pieces, our foundation is as solid to support the toppings we add.

I hear G is very serious and hard working in practice.

I would like to see more clips on how our team plays in practice so that we can see for ourselves if we have dr. jekyll and hyde syndromes.

Because in the games I just don't see it almost at all.

Maybe the coach can replay their practice tapes to "show" the players what they look like from the outside view.

I know I was guilty of playing lights out in practice games and the coach scratching their head and saying why aren't you doing this in the game!

Burning through players and scoring, outhustling...but then again I wasn't getting paid millions to perform at a job.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, AJgoal said:

Theodore is a lefty though, which doesn't really fit the mold of what AV seems to really want, LH/RH on each pair.

I would pick up the phone and get the Yotes and see what they want for Jason Demers who is a right hand shot with one year left with a 3.9 mill cap hit.

Certainly doable.

To me, unless they go all in before 28 and 93 are too old (if that hasn't already happened) and sign some big name(s) they go with status quo.  Take your lumps this year with the kids.  Play 53 with 9 like a few years ago FWIW and perhaps trade away 53 at the trade deadline.  At worst I think you could still get a 2nd rounder at the deadline if not more.  Focus on the best possible outcome for the expansion draft ensuring 5, 6, 11, and potentially 19 get the contracts they need.

Since 28 and 93 haven't lead them to a cup I don't think you can go all in especially with the uncertainty of 23 and 19 - hence my opinion of just going with what they have.  Lot's of players are getting one year deals so perhaps sign a 3/4 line center to a one year deal and if not, and if 23 can't play, go with some combo of 21 or 48 or 82 as C3 and C4.

I'd rather be competitive in the 21/22 season and the next 5 or 6 or 7 when our D and Hart are peaking then hamstring themselves this summer...oopps mean this fall with a big signing.

• Good Post 1

chuckie speaks..

12m ago

Flyers sign Gustafsson to 1-year, $3M deal

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed free agent defenseman Erik Gustafsson to a one-year contract worth an average annual value of $3 million, the team announced Monday.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

Erik Gustafsson

Erik Gustafsson , The Canadian Press

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed free agent defenseman Erik Gustafsson to a one-year contract worth an average annual value of $3 million, the team announced Monday.

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I got nothing. If you hate Ghost, you just signed a worse version of him. If you like him, where does this guy fit?

I just don't understand this move all the guys who were available and they take this guy.

They should have swung a trade for Demers.

And he wasn't cheap.

#headscratcher