Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not who you are referring to so i can't properly address this.

There are some worse ways to go when you look at the recent signings. Ellis 6.25 doesn't look that bad.

https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/all/standard/defense/1-15/4500000-13500000

It doesn't look bad now.   It will look like a$$ when he's 35.

It depends, though.   If you're doing something similar on the front end and you're saying "our legit window is the next 3 years" based on the difference between Nisko being here and not, I get the argument.   I'm tempted to climb onboard.    On the other hand, that reasoning still made me want to have Pederson and Roseman fired, so I don't know.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It will look like a$$ when he's 35.

Maybe.

Remember the Flyers got Kimmo when he was 32.

So there is a chance he still can play well and be serviceable on the bottom pair.

I know it is always in our Flyer blood to always assume the worst case scenario (i am guilty of it too) but what if it was to help bring a Cup in 4 years???

It would be worth it to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hey folks,  I'm going to post something a little later on this and it's probably going to be my part post for the next little while. Had a doctor's appointment today and was told that I have an amyloid deposit build up.  For those who don't know, that's an early sign of early onset dementia/Alzheimer's. Not even 50 yet. Anyways,  I'll do up a long fitting article and then I'm calling it a day. 

Wow, I’m sorry to hear that. There are no words .

The AHL Board of Governors has approved a schedule unification plan that will see every team play 72 games beginning in 2022-23. Alignment and schedule lengths for 2021-22 have also been set.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This really saddens me.   I think you and I probably disagree a bit more than we agree, but I've always respected the hell out of you as a poster and you've been nothing but respectful while disagreeing.   And you back it up with reasoned argument, which I've truly always appreciated.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's an immediate thing.  I've had front-row seats for two parents who were older than you are now, but were still early onset.   They JUST released a new medication for it, so hopefully progress continues.   I wish you the very best.

But it's cool that we agree to disagree and that's something I love about this place.  I also disagree with @tucson83about a lot of things,  but there's mutual respect there. 

I have mutual respect with everyone on here. We're all die hard fans. Just look at the number of posts compared to other groups on here.  The Flyers always outnumber everyone. 

Now, back to the defense. Ryan Ellis is Timonen 2.0. And yes,  there a lot of miles,  but there hasn't been serious injuries or reconstructive surgeries. That's HUGE. As well,  people need to remember (how ironic) that defensemen age better than forwards and defensemen also retain value in trades (unless your name is Erik Gustafsson....lol).

I'm perfectly content with one of Ellis or Parayko. I'm more inclined to go with Ellis though as I think he's the kind of guy that can bring the best out of the young players on defense and when there's guys like York and Zamula who will need the veteran leadership, Ellis is perfect for that role. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe.

Remember the Flyers got Kimmo when he was 32.

So there is a chance he still can play well and be serviceable on the bottom pair.

I know it is always in our Flyer blood to always assume the worst case scenario (i am guilty of it too) but what if it was to help bring a Cup in 4 years???

It would be worth it to me.

Man, does that post have a lot of truth.

On so many fronts.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

But it's cool that we agree to disagree and that's something I love about this place.  I also disagree with @tucson83about a lot of things,  but there's mutual respect there. 

I have mutual respect with everyone on here. We're all die hard fans. Just look at the number of posts compared to other groups on here.  The Flyers always outnumber everyone. 

Now, back to the defense. Ryan Ellis is Timonen 2.0. And yes,  there a lot of miles,  but there hasn't been serious injuries or reconstructive surgeries. That's HUGE. As well,  people need to remember (how ironic) that defensemen age better than forwards and defensemen also retain value in trades (unless your name is Erik Gustafsson....lol).

I'm perfectly content with one of Ellis or Parayko. I'm more inclined to go with Ellis though as I think he's the kind of guy that can bring the best out of the young players on defense and when there's guys like York and Zamula who will need the veteran leadership, Ellis is perfect for that role. 

@OccamsRazor had me most of the way, but I'm convinced.  Go get it done.

• Good Post 1

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not who you are referring to so i can't properly address this.

There are some worse ways to go when you look at the recent signings. Ellis 6.25 doesn't look that bad.

https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/all/standard/defense/1-15/4500000-13500000

Dear Occ:

Yes, when you see Doughty, there could be worse.  Hope all is well.

I have lost faith in this organization's ability to ration cap space based on sound benefit-cost.  My fear is MacDonald redux.  

That may be irrational. I am not doing as much Merlot given doctor's orders.  Work is numbing.  So, I may be in a dark space with the O and B and a lot of other stuff.

All in, I'd let them grow some youngins and hope for the best.  With our luck, we sign Seth Jones and he hits the fan.  

Peace,

Howie

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

With our luck, we sign Seth Jones and he hits the fan. 

I sure hope you're wrong....they use analytics too...but Homer is still there and it is about flash sometimes with him not results. It is scary for real.

I want key cogs in the wheel i could careless about winning the offseason.

Stanley Cup or bust...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Stanley Cup or bust...

Agreed....100%.

For whatever reason, I have near-zero faith in this franchise's ability to do a long-term deal that's worth the investment.  That is sad. But, that's where I come down with the gang.  Whether it's MacDonald or Mike Rathje....SOS, too much money, too much term.  Hopefully, Kevin Hayes isn't a new installment. 

• Good Post 1

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed....100%.

For whatever reason, I have near-zero faith in this franchise's ability to do a long-term deal that's worth the investment.  That is sad. But, that's where I come down with the gang.  Whether it's MacDonald or Mike Rathje....SOS, too much money, too much term.  Hopefully, Kevin Hayes isn't a new installment. 

They just almost always seem to overpay guys by 1 or 2 million. And 1 or 2 too many years. Which ends up leaving the team short a couple of good players.

Except the Bryz. That was just completely insane. Term. Dollars. And the player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They just almost always seem to overpay guys by 1 or 2 million.

It's to prevent from being out bid.

But when is the last time they lost out on a guy because they got out bid?

It always seems they are bidding against themselves.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's to prevent from being out bid.

But when is the last time they lost out on a guy because they got out bid?

It always seems they are bidding against themselves.

:bonkingheadonwall:

The Chris Pronger trade was a great example of that. Nobody else was bidding on Pronger and Bob Murray even said as much. Yet Holmgren just kept bidding higher and higher until Murray couldn't say no. And yet there's Holmgren still with the club. I just wish he'd go away because his presence is a major distraction.

• Like 2

It would be nice if Rubtsov could come in motivated and ready to show why he was a first round pick.

Some good Phantom depth with a chance at a call up. Rubtsov is looking like a bust right now.

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i dont know, bringing all these young players back it has to signal that there's big things coming because they wouldnt waste so much money on youth and waste them in minors for nothing.

Well the thinking is let's give Lappy a chance with them before they cut bait.

I'm good with this they have already invested the picks nothing wrong with giving kids more time.

Besides what is the alternative giving other kids a chance?

Maybe Lappy can get them to reach their potential.

Time will tell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

@OccamsRazor  Agree.   No issue giving a first rounder like Rubtsov more time.  

I really thought they were gonna write off Rubstov, he was in Russia and did nothing and you didn't hear his name mentioned at all. With the 50 contracts situation,  I thought they would release him. Maybe they are signing him because Patrick is being moved.  I hope Morin makes the team as a #6 next year. Especially when I see Pulock  a big right hander on the Isles first pair, firing rockets from the point. Max Domi  or Pulock would be nice assets for this team at this point had we not passed on them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I really thought they were gonna write off Rubstov, he was in Russia and did nothing and you didn't hear his name mentioned at all. With the 50 contracts situation,  I thought they would release him. Maybe they are signing him because Patrick is being moved.  I hope Morin makes the team as a #6 next year. Especially when I see Pulock  a big right hander on the Isles first pair, firing rockets from the point. Max Domi  or Pulock would be nice assets for this team at this point had we not passed on them. 

No sense in releasing him the kid has had injury issues so they may have seen something they liked. I'm cool with continuing to give him a look.

He will be 23 this month he is basically Nolan Patrick's age (will be 23 in September) so why give up on one and not the other?

There isn't one first round pick drafted after him in that draft that has more than 50 NHL points so no reason to give up now.

Especially when he is cheap only 750K.

I am pulling for him like I am for Morin.

He needs to take advantage of this chance it may be his last one.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No sense in releasing him the kid has had injury issues so they may have seen something they liked. I'm cool with continuing to give him a look.

He will be 23 this month he is basically Nolan Patrick's age (will be 23 in September) so why give up on one and not the other?

There isn't one first round pick drafted after him in that draft that has more than 50 NHL points so no reason to give up now.

If Rubtsov can be a Trevor Lewis type, I'd take that. A defensive conscience who can win key faceoffs and be an ace penalty killer works for me.  Any offense would be gravy, but its not as if his offense would be needed. Just let him do his thing defensively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree , I hope that Patrick,Morin, Rubstov and O’Brian can all become good NHL players as well as Frost. I think we set a record for injured first round picks . Between the injuries COVID and two shortened AHL seasons our prospects have lost a lot of valuable development. 

On 6/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, RonJeremy said:

can all become good NHL players as well as Frost

Man, I forgot about Frost for a little while there.   His creativity was sorely missed this year.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree we should give our first round picks some more time, especially now that Fletcher seems to have focused on continuity in our farm and pro systems, having Lappy at least will keep the continuity there(on paper at least).

I also believe they should pair players with their continuity in mind when they bring them up because it makes it allot easier when your familiar with the "system" but even more so when you know the "system" and "know" your partner.

I believe that's why Morin and Ghost were an easy pair to put together, since they played with each other in the minors.

Maybe the coaching staff didn't know this...but I did.....

@BCF I also desire the best for you and your day to day; that you've been around for almost half a century and still able to see, hear, taste, smell and move about is a luxury not everyone on this earth get to enjoy. May your days be appreciated and your perspectives be centered and balance. Enjoy.

• Like 3