Can Vaccine save the NHL season?

Buffalo Rick

11 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They learned to do long term testing. Doesn't mean much when they suspend long term testing to rush this new one out.

My brother had covid a month ago. he thought he had a cold. They forced him to have a test due to his runny nose and he was surprised to know he was positive.

he's 10 years older than me and a smoker. im confident in my chances if I get it.

im not vaccinating with these experimental guinea pig vaccines.

This is your choice, and I understand on a personal intellectual level what you're saying.

Emotionally your words elicit this reaction from me though.

No vaccination for you, then I'm sure you'd be okay with wearing a mask over your nose and mouth,  maintaining social distance for the period of time?

Because had that happened at any point in time during the last 10 months maybe we aren't having 1000 Bengazhis or a 9/11 and OKC bombing every day.

The thing that burns my bacon is this country could be in a completely different situation regarding this virus had people simply heeded a few simple instructions.

Evidently that was too difficult for about half of the country though. So now this virus continues to spread and kill people needlessly. 

I don't want to point the finger at you with this statement, because it is not my intention to attack you.  There has been a change in the way we relate to each other in the last 15 years and it makes me feel sad for our country.  I feel like there is so little consideration for those who aren't "us" in the country right now, it makes me sad. I never envisioned our country being this willfully ignorant, this hate filled, selfish and petty. The last 4 years and this last year in particular have highlighted the rot in our society. We don't have each other's back anymore and it makes me feel shame. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is your choice, and I understand on a personal intellectual level what you're saying.

No vaccination for you, then I'm sure you'd be okay with wearing a mask over your nose and mouth,  maintaining social distance for the period of time?

Because had that happened at any point in time during the last 10 months maybe we aren't having 1000 Bengazhis or a 9/11 and OKC bombing every day.

The thing that burns my bacon is this country could be in a completely different situation regarding this virus had people simply heeded a few simple instructions.

Evidently that was too difficult for about half of the country though. So now this virus continues to spread and kill people needlessly. 

I don't want to point the finger at you with this statement, because it is not my intention to attack you.  There has been a change in the way we relate to each other in the last 15 years and it makes me feel sad for our country.  I feel like there is so little consideration for those who aren't "us" in the country right now, it makes me sad. I never envisioned our country being this willfully ignorant, this hate filled, selfish and petty. The last 4 years and this last year in particular have highlighted the rot in our society. We don't have each other's back anymore and it makes me feel shame. 

Im fine with masks. Im Japanese lol. I live in halifax nova scotia Canada. We were kind of the best place in the world for lack of spread for several months 

Ive also been socially distancing.

• Like 2

I can't say I won't get it. I got shots in October and November as part of the Pfizer Phase 3. Pfizer has since extended me a request to enter the vaccine group in May, assumedly that means I received a placebo previously. I think the information is important, so I will almost definitely participate when my next appointment rolls around.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2020 at 3:45 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Hes totally fine. No idea on immunity.

He's lucky. I know a few people who've had it. It's run from "just a sore throat" to "I still can't smell or taste properly" (it's been a few months) to my sister and brother-in-law who've never been so sick in all their lives. That ran for almost a month. A co-workers BIL died. He was 48. 

I like to think I'd survive it. The truth is, none of us know. I'm guessing there's strains that affect everyone differently as well as how our immune systems work.

I'm not running out to be first in line for the vaccination, but I'll likely get it. I haven't missed NOT having the flu for over 15 years now. And knowing I haven't passed it on to someone who couldn't fight it. 

That's the part I don't get...maybe your immune system is strong enough.. What about your parents? Grandparents?

The flu doesn't kill over 300,000 a year in the US. And that's without masks and social distancing. This is with. 

I imagine there will be places (restaurants, bars) that may not allow you in unless you're vaccinated. There's already countries that do this for things like yellow fever.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 4

On 12/16/2020 at 8:09 AM, OccamsRazor said:

There isn't no real set time for this it just has several phases it must go through that takes it so long.

You phase 1, 2 and 3 and after 3 it gets licensed and moves onto phase 4.

All this just typically takes at least two years to go through.

I don't know all the ins and outs of all the testing side of it.

I work in pharmaceuticals on the product developmental side of it a lot. In fact we are running a covid test run as I type this (very temperature sensitive stuff we are making).

Right now it's a -9 degree run and then try it even colder later in the week.

I am waiting for my development team to get here.

But i deal with making the batches of medicines/vaccines side.

Long story short I will not be taking this unless I am on my death bed. My personal preference for me and my family.

I haven't had a flu shot since bootcamp in 1990.

Interesting this morning I was reading there is a whole new strain of this thing that has been discovered in England.

More details to come.

@WordsOfWisdom

I guess you missed me saying this last week.

Any how I see you have another thread dedicated to it.

Guess we'll see what comes of it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@WordsOfWisdom

I guess you missed me saying this last week.

Any how I see you have another thread dedicated to it.

Guess we'll see what comes of it.

My bad. I just heard about it the other day.  

Ontario just went into a province-wide lockdown again.  

42 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

My bad. I just heard about it the other day.  

Ontario just went into a province-wide lockdown again.  

It's actually on Boxing Day. The start of WJs. Won't affect me one bit...that day. 

It's getting out of hand again, they had to do something. Clearly people just aren't getting it.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's actually on Boxing Day. The start of WJs. Won't affect me one bit...that day. 

It's getting out of hand again, they had to do something. Clearly people just aren't getting it.

I think the best solution was simply to close the malls, close any department store that isn't selling food, close all the restaurants, etc.

I think most of the transmission is probably happening in schools and in malls.

People who want to visit friends are still going to do it despite the lockdown. They just have house parties instead.  :( 

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think the best solution was simply to close the malls, close any department store that isn't selling food, close all the restaurants, etc.

I think most of the transmission is probably happening in schools and in malls.

So to speak, close all places with potential indoor mass gatherings. And that's where contradictions come into play: it's ok to let giant malls open while little struggling businesses have to shut down. A matter of location also: The Ottawa region is pretty spared, the latest count is like 30 new cases and zero patient in ICU units all across hospitals (according to CBC) but they are still submitted to a harsh lockdown. People are upset, feel unfairly treated (and it's understandable) and are more willing to gather just by defiance. Finding the equilibrium is like walking barefoot on a burning slackline full of radioactive glass blades.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

People who want to visit friends are still going to do it despite the lockdown. They just have house parties instead.  :( 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/16/at-least-50-strong-birthday-orgy-raided-opposite-hospital-with-covid-patients-13758800/

• Uggh... 1

On 12/19/2020 at 11:27 AM, mojo1917 said:

Here is the best response to this that I have read thus far.

"

You might surprise yourself

I don't really see the point of worrying about people who are likely a minority of the population who will be unwilling to get the vaccine at some point over the next 6 months.
Supply is shorter than demand, whether they want to take it now or not isn't too relevant since the positive effects of someone else down the list taking it will have more or less the same impact.

If the vaccine works as advertised it will sell itself to the uncommitted and the skeptical for the most part. Getting the oh my goshes over people who are skeptical (or make a different risk calculation than you do ) and tisk tisking them isn't gonna convince them. The vaccine working will."

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton

Thanks for posting this.

Some background- The post that spawned my reaction caught me at bad time, having just gone a couple of 3 rounds with my family about the body politic and it's influence on public health. So I'm feeling a little more resilient today. 

I'm not a young fella, but I'm still pretty far down on the list myself. So I'll know if this **** turns our doctors and nurses into zombies way before it's my turn.

Unless we're looking to have a Maoist cultural revolution type deal, honestly, the GOP might be "feeling" that energy, I don't think it would be wise to stick the vaccine in the first responders. 

I think it's good that today's public vaccinations were with the Moderna version.

Which I understand to be better resistant to temperature fluctuations.

• Like 1