So...does the Flyers organization REALLY have a plan?

FD19372

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but don't you want more than alright??

absolutely.

how many teams lose their best player and just keep plugging right along?

there's going to be an adjustment period. especially at the beginning of the season when they're all getting back into the groove.

Their record could be worse, I am hoping for improvement and not a year of *gestures broadly* this. I don't think my expectation is unreasonable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

how many teams lose their best player and just keep plugging right along?

Boston, Blues and Isles.

No Pastrnak, Kase and they let Chara and Krug go.

Blues no Tarasenko or Bortuzzo.

Isles no Beauvillier or Boychuk.

Just a couple i know of.

Islanders are 3 - 3  Beauvillier isn't comparable to losing Couturier. I don't think he's their best player, I don't think anyone else does either.

Bruins are 4-1-1, Krug is a loss, so is Pasternak. This is the closest comparison and this team did win the President's trophy last year, they pay those guys too and they don't suck.

Blues are 3-2-1

So if they're "plugging right along", so are we.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess i just have higher expectations after getting a healthy Patrick and Lindblom back.

Maybe once we get Couturier and Myers and the team gets some games behind them...but ya, I was expecting better.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Maybe once we get Couturier and Myers and the team gets some games behind them...but ya, I was expecting better.

I'm not giving up on them just venting my frustration it's better out then in.

I know there is time to get better.

I hope they will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Islanders are 3 - 3  Beauvillier isn't comparable to losing Couturier. I don't think he's their best player, I don't think anyone else does either.

Bruins are 4-1-1, Krug is a loss, so is Pasternak. This is the closest comparison and this team did win the President's trophy last year, they pay those guys too and they don't suck.

Blues are 3-2-1

And are the Flyers successful when they play those teams?

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess i just have higher expectations after getting a healthy Patrick and Lindblom back

I didnt. Especially Patrick. Oscar was starting to put things together, but neither one was was a world beater.

With O, what he went through was beyond huge. To come back and progress to better than you were, would be amazing

Patrick is light buld. Bright and shiny, but the slighest bump will shatter him and leave you in darkness.  He wont ever be more than another one of those good players who tries hard

But hey, I'm sure many "likes what he brings"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

To your point, we're nine games into a season with virtually no training camp and no preseason. The point was made in the Chatbox that this period is "Sloppy Hockey" and I think that's fair.

Yes, it is a shortened season, but it is for everyone. No one is running away from the pack. The only "zero losses" team is a whole two points ahead of the Flyers. The league leading Leaes have all of three more points

There's still a lot of hockey to play.

The overall point of the thread, however, is not totally far-Fletched.

Could be that the team comes together at the end of the season and goes on a magical run. Could also be that they miss the playoffs.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Patrick is light buld. Bright and shiny, but the slighest bump will shatter him and leave you in darkness.  He wont ever be more than another one of those good players who tries hard

Patrick is all of fifteen pounds lighter than Jack Eichel - they're both 6'2". Eichel has two years on him and didn't miss a whole season.

Patrick is a work in progress. I don't think we can reasonably write him off at this point. Nor do I think we can point to him as "the (or an) answer."

Gotta see what comes.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

And are the Flyers successful when they play those teams?

Last year the Isles had the Flyers number all season.

The Flyers and Bruins played to a tie I think.

The Flyers won the series vs the Blues- the season was shortened, so I don't know if StL would have gotten another shot.

This year, the Flyers stunk up the joint vs the Bruins in two games and got the result they deserved.

I think the Islanders are a more mature version of what the Flyers are so I think they will present a challenge as long as Trotz is coaching them. That happens, there are bad matchups and I think the Islanders the Flyers kryptonite.  The hope for me with that team is our young guys improve and their guys begin to decline.  

So the answer to your question is the Flyers do alright against 2 of the 3.

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Last year the Isles had the Flyers number all season

Makes them the better team

30 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the Islanders are a more mature version of what the Flyers are so I think they will present a challenge as long as Trotz is coaching them. That happens, there are bad matchups and I think the Islanders the Flyers kryptonite.

makes them the better team

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Alright doesnt win championships. And all 3 teams i have mentioned have won Stanley cups since the last time the Flyers have

@CoachX

I don't quite get what you're saying here, are the Islanders a better team?

hmmm, I wonder where the disagreement is?

I did notice the Islanders didn't win anything last year either, so I don't think I'm ready to just throw up my hands and say welp, let's not play 'em they're better- **** them.

I was surprised by the all-time record vs the Bruins, the Flyers are almost under a .330 win % It's pretty amazing actually. 125-75-21 That's like fire's rivalry with kindling wood. But **** them too.

As for this year, we'll see what happens. Not one team is a finished product, the Flyers are missing a couple of important players. They just need to stay in contact until they get back. 

I'm not ready to concede the season 7 games in. 

Edited by mojo1917
sometimes I'm terrible at writing, most times I'm just bad

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

but neither one was was a world beater.

Well Oskar was leading the NHL in goals before his cancer diagnosis I thought, if my liquor logged brain remembers correctly...

...but don't hold me to that he and TK were en fuego...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

**** them

See I knew we could find common ground.

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

But **** them too.

Wow here we are agreeing again.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They just need to stay in contact until they get back. 

Let's hope they can maintain.

One thing that would help is getting Hart back in the win column.

And it starts with the guys in front of him.

Can they? Will they?

I would expect a Hart vs Blackwood battle next game.

Could be huge.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

I don't quite get what you're saying here, are the Islanders a better team?

hmmm, I wonder where the disagreement is?

I did notice the Islanders didn't win anything last year either, so I don't think I'm ready to just throw up my hands and say welp, let's not play 'em they're better- **** them.

I was surprised by the all-time record vs the Bruins, the Flyers are almost under a .330 win % It's pretty amazing actually. 125-75-21 That's like fire's rivalry with kindling wood. But **** them too.

As for this year, we'll see what happens. Not one team is a finished product, the Flyers are missing a couple of important players. They just need to stay in contact until they get back. 

I'm not ready to concede the season 7 games in. 

Yeah, i think i was just debating for the sake of it. I blame it on the Flyers. If they hadnt given us what the did, from inception through the 80, i would probably be easier to get along with

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Oskar was leading the NHL in goals before his cancer diagnosis I thought, if my Ligon logged brain remembers correctly...

Yeah, and JVR is tied for team lead right now!

Ok, we both know that's a BS point, but i want to remain defiant

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Oskar was leading the NHL in goals before his cancer diagnosis I thought, if my Ligon logged brain remembers correctly...

I think playing Oscar further down the line up until he gets "back" would be a smart move.

I thought one of the problems the team was having, was his line wasn't winning board battles, that meant he wasn't winning the board battles and that was his jawn pre-cancer. They weren't able to sustain much O-zone pressure, at least not the way one would expect TK him and Pat to cycle.

I noticed he was playing with Laughton, and Farabee, I like that until he's feeling stronger.

There are moments when pre-cancer Oscar shows up and they are becoming more frequent. I do think letting him work his way back into shape vs some better matchups will help him immensely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Last year the Isles had the Flyers number all season.

The Flyers and Bruins played to a tie I think.

The Flyers won the series vs the Blues- the season was shortened, so I don't know if StL would have gotten another shot.

This year, the Flyers stunk up the joint vs the Bruins in two games and got the result they deserved.

I think the Islanders are a more mature version of what the Flyers are so I think they will present a challenge as long as Trotz is coaching them. That happens, there are bad matchups and I think the Islanders the Flyers kryptonite.  The hope for me with that team is our young guys improve and their guys begin to decline.  

I’m afraid of the Isles, the Barzal line skated circles around us and the other lines hammered us all over the ice and dominated the front of our net. They cycled out of their zone and into our zone like Norman Schwartzkoff marched into Iraq. We couldn’t even stop Cal Cluster**** and the fourth line. So how do we beat  a team like that? We can’t out skate them and we certainly can’t beat them physically. 

• Like 1