Game 10: Islanders at Flyers; 1/31/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

The O and B are are marginal favorites but I am posting less than an hour after the Saturday win.  The message to TK sank in for the first period and we were playing as well as we have this season.  Then we succumbed to the Devils Trap Redux.  

I hope the Bunnaman line continues to work hard and dig deep.  They seem to be carrying play better than their top-6 teammates.  Ghost is playing well, which is a positive. 

• Like 4

One of the biggest problems with this defense is the guys go where the puck is not where it's going to be.

When they get better at that it may improve.

Till then I guess keep winning ugly hockey.

Expect more Devils trap game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

We were outplayed again and managed to win . This has been the norm for just about every game. We have been lucky, we just as easily could have a losing record. We are not gonna keep getting away with this.

I agree it is frustrating however how many times in years/games past have we seen it the other way around for the Flyers?

However they can't rely on that for long something has to change.

And their ain't no reinforcement coming to save the day it is going to come from the guys who are standing in this Alamo...

• Like 1

Projected lineups (Subject to change)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
28 Claude Giroux - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 86 Joel Farabee
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
56 Erik Gustafsson - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott

[79 Carter Hart]

PP1: Giroux, Hayes, Voracek, JVR, Provorov
PP2: Lindblom, Patrick, Farabee, Sanheim, Gostisbehere

Scratches: 14 Sean Couturier (IR, costochondral separation), 55 Samuel Morin (healthy), 48 Morgan Frost (IR, dislocated shoulder), 3 Mark Friedman (healthy), 8 Robert Hägg (healthy).

ISLANDERS (Saturday's lines)

27 Anders Lee - 13 Mathew Barzal - 7 Jordan Eberle
47 Leo Komarov - 29 Brock Nelson - 12 Josh Bailey
20 Kieffer Bellows - 44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau - 26 Oliver Wahlstrom
17 Matt Martin - 53 Casey Cizikas - 15 Cal Clutterbuck

3 Adam Pelech - 6 Ryan Pulock
2 Nick Leddy - 24 Scott Mayfield
4 Andy Greene - 8 Noah Dobson

40 Semyon Varlamov
[35 Cory Schneider]

PP 1: Lee, Barzal, Eberle, Dobson, Pulock
PP 2: Wahlstrom, Nelson, Pageau, Bailey, Leddy

Scratches: 18 Anthony Beauvillier (leg, IR), 25 Sebastian Aho (healthy), 28 Michael Dal Colle (healthy), 2 Ross Johnston (healthy).

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree it is frustrating however how many times in years/games past have we seen it the other way around for the Flyers?

However they can't rely on that for long something has to change.

And their ain't no reinforcement coming to save the day it is going to come from the guys who are standing in this Alamo...

I remember it well, we would dominate the Rangers and Devils and outshoot them by a huge margin. Richter and Brodeur would stop everything and our goalie would give up a couple of piss poor weak goals and we would lose. It’s great to finally have a goalie steal a few for us, but if this team is not playing much better hockey by the 15th game or so, we are in trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

It’s great to finally have a goalie steal a few for us

I know trust me I came into hockey in the early 90s.

The goalies I started with always felt like only average Hextall, Wregget and Rousell.

So I took my a long while to get here.

Going through Soderstrom, Snow, Burke, Beezer, Boosh, Hackett, Cechmaniac, Eshe, Nitty, Biron, Emery, Leighton, Heeter, Bob, Bryz, Zepp, Mason, Neuvy, Zeppelin,, Picard, Mrazek, Lyon and it feels like I am forgetting one or two.

All that to finally get a great one in Hart.

That was torture just recalling some of those names....

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The O and B are are marginal favorites but I am posting less than an hour after the Saturday win.  The message to TK sank in for the first period and we were playing as well as we have this season.  Then we succumbed to the Devils Trap Redux.  

I hope the Bunnaman line continues to work hard and dig deep.  They seem to be carrying play better than their top-6 teammates.  Ghost is playing well, which is a positive. 

Another positive is the excellent play of defenceman Myers.

Myers was able to return with his fractured rib 'medicated'. He had two shots and had 23:17 of ice time.

After a four-game, 10 day, absence, Myers paired with his usual partner Sanheim, was a key member of the PK unit that went 4-for-4. He skated well, played well in the D-zone with some excellent poke-checks, and he played physical.

Also, we saw some continued progress in Patrick's game, especially 'creating' in the offensive zone. We see the signs. Patrick is going to be a high-level center. Hopefully he can stay healthy from his past head/migraine issues and he can minimize being at the wall.

Some positives.

Carter Hart, Nolan Patrick, Travis Sanheim and Philippe Myers of the Philadelphia Flyers react to the loose puck against Jared McCann of the...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Some positives.

Some

The big concern has to be our own end. Yesterday we won four d-zone face offs in a row but failed to get the puck out each time. No bueno.

I'm not seeing enuff support in the soft zones to give the D a quick, short outlet to relieve pressure. Every time, it's just sent around the boards. I know that sometimes, that's your only play, but it can't be the only play all the time.

Need to be better in our zone, with the puck. Period.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 4

Just now, mkscrewy said:

Hartnell said after the game last night, "[They're] the worst 6-2-1 team out there," which even as he was joking, was pretty accurate.

The good news - and it is good news - is that we can really only get better. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I didnt watch. How was Morin?

Hes out tonight. I see us getting pounded physically

Morin was out position on the second Isles goal, he was chasing the puck and attempted to play defense instead of wing on that play. I would rather see him replace Braun than on wing. 

I put myself in AV's shoes and try to figure out what to do...wear the Isles out physically, or activate the D and do everything possible to keep the puck in their zone? I even think about the old Toronto style D of a 1-4 and simply fight trap with clog and pray our goalies survive? Seriously, Trotz has a great system and our absence of a "real" first line with speed and grit shows.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Morin was out position on the second Isles goal, he was chasing the puck and attempted to play defense instead of wing on that play. I would rather see him replace Braun than on wing. 

Yeah, he was, but he wasn't the sole problem on that shift - they were all tired, for one thing. I agree on the Braun thing. I would try Morin at D, but also, maybe, the odd shift at forward. Maybe dress 7D?

43 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, he was, but he wasn't the sole problem on that shift - they were all tired, for one thing. I agree on the Braun thing. I would try Morin at D, but also, maybe, the odd shift at forward. Maybe dress 7D?

They should dress 7 d and give Morin a real shot and then decide on Braun , Gus, Haag and Morin. I don’t see him succeeding as a wing.

Interesting. But where?  Low slot / crease - - instead of Konecny? Any suggestions on the Power Play units?

PP1: 
Giroux - left half-boards
Hayes - high slot
JVR - low slot / crease
Voracek - right half-boards, rotate right point
Provorov - point, left to center

PP2: 
Lindblom - left half-boards
Patrick - high slot
Konecny - low slot / crease
Gostisbehere - right point, right half-boards
Sanheim - point, left to center

14 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Interesting. But where?  Low slot / crease - - instead of Konecny? Any suggestions on the Power Play units?

PP1: 
Giroux - left half-boards
Hayes - high slot
JVR - low slot / crease
Voracek - right half-boards, rotate right point
Provorov - point, left to center

PP2: 
Lindblom - left half-boards
Patrick - high slot
Konecny - low slot / crease
Gostisbehere - right point, right half-boards
Sanheim - point, left to center

NAK has possibly the best wrist shot on this team , he should be in the high slot, he isn’t off to a good start but last year he showed great skill at getting open for quick shots on the net.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not seeing enuff support in the soft zones to give the D a quick, short outlet to relieve pressure. Every time, it's just sent around the boards. I know that sometimes, that's your only play, but it can't be the only play all the time.

Need to be better in our zone, with the puck. Period

This actually applies to all 3 zones. 

I counted maybe 7 dump ins that went to the the forehand side of the defensemen and they simply played the puck and started a transition. They never had to turn and retrieve it, the game was in front of the Isles D for 40 minutes. 

Some of this is seeing the ice, I know when a guy is skating full out maybe the vision isn't all there, as far as being able to process what's being seen. But damn, I would think by this time the idea of the "chase" part would be ingrained in players who've been doing it for 15 years.... Our guys make so many hurried, ill advised plays with the puck all over the ice. 

It is frustrating.

Another thing I notice is they get antsy when the Isles (or anyone) cycle the puck, they chase rather than anticipate. ****, I say let those guys stay to the outside, and play catch. 

When our boys do win a battle they spin the puck up the boards where there are several Islanders waiting for it. It's like the whole 5 man unit gets jangly and the goalie better be ready. 

We know they know what to do, they did it for 20 minutes, they blitzed the Isles asses in period 1.

• Like 3