Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

Ok, it's Eklund but he's saying it's "out there" that the Preds are after Patrick.     that first better be heading the Flyers way if so.

Ekholm for Patrick and a First

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Toronto-Eyes-Rakell-While-PhillyNashville-Talk--Sabres-Writers/1/110405

Edited by Cheesesteak
added link

12 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Ok, it's Eklund but he's saying it's "out there" that the Preds are after Patrick.     that first better be heading the Flyers way if so.

Ekholm for Patrick and a First

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Toronto-Eyes-Rakell-While-PhillyNashville-Talk--Sabres-Writers/1/110405

I would do Patrick and a 2nd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I would do patrick and my first born son, just to get rid of him

My kid makes great popcorn

I would have to make the pick conditional to them getting to the conference finals at least.

So wow if we could get someone to just play you know uh defense...they are allowed to play defense in Philly right?

fwds pt pace (82 games):

Couturier: 98

JvR: 92

Farabee: 75

Giroux: 68

Voracek: 67

Hayes: 66

Konecny: 65

Laughton: 56

Raffl: 27

Lindblom: 26

NAK: 24

Patrick: 20

Hard for fwd group to score more really. Ofc would love to see Lindblom+Patrick pick it up...

I mean damn if the guy who you know are called "defensemen" don't/can't/won't play defense then goddammit go get someone who will show them how...

...someone try to keep the little black thingy out the box with a net on it...

....please...

• Haha 1

It all comes down to...is this a one year rental? If so, that is dumb. They are not one big move away from a history making playoff run. If its not a rental for Ekholm...then one of Sanheim or Myers must get moved before the deadline. The only way the expansion draft works for the Flyers roster is protecting 3 d men. The other option cuts to deep ....this is a lateral move. Not overly upset at losing Patrick...but NOT s 1st also. For a 1 year rental, really??

58 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

It all comes down to...is this a one year rental? If so, that is dumb. They are not one big move away from a history making playoff run. If its not a rental for Ekholm...then one of Sanheim or Myers must get moved before the deadline. The only way the expansion draft works for the Flyers roster is protecting 3 d men. The other option cuts to deep ....this is a lateral move. Not overly upset at losing Patrick...but NOT s 1st also. For a 1 year rental, really??

Doesn’t have to be a rental.

And you can protect all the defensemen.

You'll just have to expose Lindblom.

I'm good with that they won't take him for the cancer risk.

And if they do well they have more forward depth than defensive depth.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Doesn’t have to be a rental.

And you can protect all the defensemen.

You'll just have to expose Lindblom.

I'm good with that they won't take him for the cancer risk.

And if they do well they have more forward depth than defensive depth.

Whats the amount of forwards they can keep if 4+ d men are protected? Thought it would go deeper than Lindblom? If that is the case, a top 4 d man is more important than Lindblom. They miss Niskanen badly and no one on this roster cam mimic his play...not even close. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Whats the amount of forwards they can keep if 4+ d men are protected? Thought it would go deeper than Lindblom?

Protected:

Giroux

Coots

Hayes 

Konecny

Provorov

Sanheim

Myers

Ekholm

Hart

Expose:

JVR

Voracek

Lindblom

NAK

Hagg

Braun

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Ratcliffe or Allison come out of nowhere and help this team.

This is the sniper they need so badly...man this kid has a cannon...

...he just needs to find a way to stay healthy and play to develop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Protected:

Giroux

Coots

Hayes 

Konecny

Provorov

Sanheim

Myers

Ekholm

Hart

Expose:

JVR

Voracek

Lindblom

NAK

Hagg

Braun

Thats not so bad. No way can JVR keep this up, hes way over his career shooting percentage. The Krack take him im good with it...and would give up Lindblom for Ekholm any day. Not to thrilled about the 1st being rumored to be included with Patrick. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, mojo1917 said:

One of the reasons Rutherford isn't there is he was trying to trade the Breck girl...er Kris Letang, he does have great hair...

I digress.

So I wonder which of the big 3 gets turned into 'the future"?

The logical play is they move Malkenstien, does he get all the return they'll need? 

The picks they've made all seem to pan out pretty well. The team in WB/S is always competitive, those guys seamlessly integrate into the bottom 6 at least.

I think the dynamics of that situation are more tricky than we can imagine.

Does Hextall pull a Slats and trade Crosby instead.?

I think the answer in Pittsburgh is having competent scouts.  You're absolutely right - somehow, despite never having early picks, they keep coming up with players.  Diametrically opposed to the early 2000's when the NHL made things easy for them with plenty of top three picks.

32 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I think the answer in Pittsburgh is having competent scouts.  You're absolutely right - somehow, despite never having early picks, they keep coming up with players.  Diametrically opposed to the early 2000's when the NHL made things easy for them with plenty of top three picks.

The biggest issues is it isn't an exact science and during all these combines when they are poking them (prospects) like cattle and measure all these different attributes the main issue is the can't measure the biggest muscle required.

And that is heart.

I mean look at the Preds for example the can just hit after hit on defensemen but they can't draft a forward to save their lives ( slightly over exaggerated yes but hey struggle).

And it seems the Flyers have had their issues with defensemen and goalies.

Has that changed with the current stable of guys we'll the jury is still out.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

So Philly and Nash combine to make one team. They can settle in SC and be called the ice cocks

An interesting trade idea from an article on the Athletic...enjoy and please comment if you like why not the dead horse moved a little...

Dallas Stars trade John Klingberg to Philadelphia Flyers

First, congratulations to John Klingberg on the arrival of his first child, a daughter, Elsa. Second, it wouldn’t seem right if Klingberg ended up somewhere else. But life is sometimes not right, as this past year has taught us in spades. And Stars GM Jim Nill has a major salary cap headache on the horizon as he tries to balance the twin albatrosses of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin who combine for just under $20 million in cap hit for the next hundred years (give or take).

Nill is also going to have to pay rising star Miro Heiskanen, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Klingberg has one more year left on a very team-friendly deal that carries a $4.25 million cap hit. Multiple sources familiar with the team have wondered aloud how or whether the team can afford Klingberg whose value on the open market, even with a flat cap, is in the $7 million range.

If Heiskanen takes a bridge deal at $6 million or so that’s roughly $33 million, or north of 40 percent of your cap, taken up by four players. Throw in Esa Lindell at $5.8 million and now you’re almost to 50 percent of the cap with five players under contract. Yikes.

So, back to Klingberg — and Philadelphia. The Flyers are in the mix in a very tough East Division and would love to bring in a veteran right-hand shot defenseman to help fill the void created by the retirement of Matt Niskanen. Klingberg doesn’t bring the snarl that Niskanen possessed but his offensive talents are off the charts and he has worked diligently to improve his defensive game. Few defensemen can work the puck laterally and put shots on net like Klingberg and he’s become a vocal, important part of the Stars leadership group.

Also critical to the Flyers, who have the tools for a deep playoff run but have lacked consistency through the first half of this season, Klingberg was on an MVP arc last summer with 21 points in 26 games for a Stars team that came within two wins of the Cup.

What would it cost? Plenty. A package that includes a first and maybe a second-round pick plus one of the Flyer’s top young offensive prospects.

Would it be worth it to see Klingberg lining up with Ivan Provorov in a series against Boston, the Islanders, Washington or Pittsburgh? Maybe.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

An interesting trade idea from an article on the Athletic...enjoy and please comment if you like why not the dead horse moved a little...

Dallas Stars trade John Klingberg to Philadelphia Flyers

First, congratulations to John Klingberg on the arrival of his first child, a daughter, Elsa. Second, it wouldn’t seem right if Klingberg ended up somewhere else. But life is sometimes not right, as this past year has taught us in spades. And Stars GM Jim Nill has a major salary cap headache on the horizon as he tries to balance the twin albatrosses of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin who combine for just under $20 million in cap hit for the next hundred years (give or take).

Nill is also going to have to pay rising star Miro Heiskanen, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Klingberg has one more year left on a very team-friendly deal that carries a $4.25 million cap hit. Multiple sources familiar with the team have wondered aloud how or whether the team can afford Klingberg whose value on the open market, even with a flat cap, is in the $7 million range.

If Heiskanen takes a bridge deal at $6 million or so that’s roughly $33 million, or north of 40 percent of your cap, taken up by four players. Throw in Esa Lindell at $5.8 million and now you’re almost to 50 percent of the cap with five players under contract. Yikes.

So, back to Klingberg — and Philadelphia. The Flyers are in the mix in a very tough East Division and would love to bring in a veteran right-hand shot defenseman to help fill the void created by the retirement of Matt Niskanen. Klingberg doesn’t bring the snarl that Niskanen possessed but his offensive talents are off the charts and he has worked diligently to improve his defensive game. Few defensemen can work the puck laterally and put shots on net like Klingberg and he’s become a vocal, important part of the Stars leadership group.

Also critical to the Flyers, who have the tools for a deep playoff run but have lacked consistency through the first half of this season, Klingberg was on an MVP arc last summer with 21 points in 26 games for a Stars team that came within two wins of the Cup.

What would it cost? Plenty. A package that includes a first and maybe a second-round pick plus one of the Flyer’s top young offensive prospects.

Would it be worth it to see Klingberg lining up with Ivan Provorov in a series against Boston, the Islanders, Washington or Pittsburgh? Maybe.

Sounds like a ghost/gus type player

Yeah, i think that horse has been whipped enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle.

what else you got?

MJ you gotta relax and look up sarcasm in the dictionary. With the new world order and LGBTQ recognition he/she could be both. The new logo is nice. Im not a cat guy. Thats more sarcasm btw.

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

MJ you gotta relax and look up sarcasm in the dictionary. With the new world order and LGBTQ recognition he/she could be both. The new logo is nice. Im not a cat guy. Thats more sarcasm btw.

saved mojo the hastle :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

sarcasm

[ˈsärˌkazəm]

NOUN

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

22 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Very happy your delicate sensibilities are no longer offended by my profile photo. 

If you missed the point of what  I'm getting at here it's okay, I'll lay it out for you, more concretely. 

28 isn't waiving his NMC, so similar to this other thing that won't happen either ; what other ideas do you have to give the team a jolt?

Edited by mojo1917

19 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Great piece to add to a LEGIT CUP CONTENDER. Flyers are not that right now. If #28 would waive and go to Dallas then you could add Ekholm as well. Then you might contend.

Dallas only has to trade Klingberg (or would even consider) because of cap concerns.  I doubt trading him for a player making twice as much actually helps that.

17 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Interesting given that the post that prompted this response was, in fact, sarcasm.  (and a bit of smarm)

You are aware that while a dictionary definition is nice, even better is the ability to both give and recognize it when it's coming back, right?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Dallas only has to trade Klingberg (or would even consider) because of cap concerns.  I doubt trading him for a player making twice as much actually helps that.

Besides the Flyers need a defenseman who is better in his own end and even though Klingberg is making strides i think in that part of his game, the defenseman needs to bring a physical element to his game as well.

Klingberg while i admit is more physical than a Travis Sanheim they need a more of a what a Ekholm or Savard type bring for the defense. Someone who can rub someone off the puck.

For myself it is either these one of these two or just stay put.