Is it time to start riding a moose?

Digityman

Is it time to start giving Moose more games?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to start giving Moose more games?

• Yes. Ride him till he falls apart or starts losing badly.
    • Yes. Start him 70-80% of the games moving forward.
    • No. Hart should be starting 75% of the games.
    • No. Play the hot hand no matter who it is
    • Alternate games with Hart regardless to keep them both rested.
    • Other.

First, let me say I'm not anti-Hart.  I believe Hart is and will be the goalie for the Flyers for the next decade.  

That being said, games are running out in this shortened season and the Flyers need to put out their best team every night.  

We all know that Moose is subject to injury the more he plays but maybe it's time to start giving Moose 2 out of 3 games moving forward until Hart's game comes back. 

MooseGritty.jpg

• Like 3

First of all I absolutely love the photo! LOL

With regard to the Moose and starts.  Look I love Hart. I traded for in in NAHANA and yes he IS the Flyers goalie.  However, for whatever reason he is really struggling this year.  I say move forward with Moose and let the youngster get his head back on straight.  With that being said, you CANNOT play Moose 5-6 games in a row.  Give Hart spot starts here and there.  Like I posted in the NAHANA thread ...this is/has been a strange/weird year.  I'm ok with Moose getting more starts.

hockey.jpg.7f54cd3baf1b8816989c60892a98808a.jpg

I said other, haha *points in Nelson*

I think Moose is now the 1A. So Carter starts game 2 of back to backs and occasionally to keep him fresh.

The team needs the points, the kid will grow from this.  

I think sending Carter to face the press was a good first step. 

He did that and lived through it, now it's time to fight through his lack of confidence. 

• Like 1

@albertaflyer

I said something similar in the Sabres game thread.  

Keeping guys off the backdoor for tap in goals will let Hart challenge shooters more. 

Getting the defense straightened out will help a lot of the teams woes. 

It will be interesting to see what the FO thinks needs to happen with the roster to achieve that end. 

Edited by mojo1917

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

First of all I absolutely love the photo! LOL

With regard to the Moose and starts.  Look I love Hart. I traded for in in NAHANA and yes he IS the Flyers goalie.  However, for whatever reason he is really struggling this year.  I say move forward with Moose and let the youngster get his head back on straight.  With that being said, you CANNOT play Moose 5-6 games in a row.  Give Hart spot starts here and there.  Like I posted in the NAHANA thread ...this is/has been a strange/weird year.  I'm ok with Moose getting more starts.

hockey.jpg.7f54cd3baf1b8816989c60892a98808a.jpg

So you want to start Moose the next 4 games and give Hart the 2nd game in the back to back on the 18th?

HA Moose will fall apart by the 3rd, on IR by the 4th one...but hey it was worth the laugh.

Then Lyon will be suiting up.

I would keep running Hart out there.

He'll if we have to watch Patrick skate circles every night and occasionally skate hard to the net Hart should be let to play through his issues. He is tough enough.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you want to start Moose the next 4 games and give Hart the 2nd game in the back to back on the 18th?

Whats your better option? He got lit up by a very poorly offensively challenged Buffalo team.  The Caps are 7-2-1 in last 10 games. Fine give him the next 2 or 3 games off to gather his thoughts and then have come back against the 2nd game vs. Rangers.

Something is clearly off and if you wait too long to sit him then the Flyers could be looking on the outside side of the playoff race and in a shortened season it may be too late.

Edited by pilldoc

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Whats your better option?

Well I can't claim it to be better but with this compressed schedule I just keep rolling Hart and Moose like we have been it isn't like the team in front of him has been lights out sound and Hart has given up bad goals in bunches.

I keep it the same. Maybe they figure something out.

I don't think Hart is the reason for the goals solely.

So I just don't want to just hold him accountable.

Just my 2 cents.

@pilldoc

I meant to add I can't let one 22 year old (Patrick) figure it out and then turn around and not let another 22 year old (Hart) figure it out if that makes more sense.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think Hart is the reason for the goals solely.

So I just don't want to just hold him accountable.

Agree... not 100% his fault. There have several defensive lapses. Clearly he is struggling... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@pilldoc

I meant to add I can't let one 22 year old (Patrick) figure it out and then turn around and not let another 22 year old (Hart) figure it out if that makes more sense.

Patrick is a whole another topic.... One really can’t compare the two players. Patrick is surely a head scratcher for sure....

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Patrick is surely a head scratcher for sure....

That shootout goal from the other night was a beaut.

Gives me a glimmer of hope for the kid.

I really don't want to move on from him vut the more and more I think about what the team needs and we'll I think he could be the perfect trade chip.

I mean if you want quality, if you want another Braun type on an expiring contract then I guess we could trade other assets...

The reality is unless the Flyers fix their defensive coverage issues and crappy special teams, they are going to be out early should the qualify for the post season. Hart needs to work through his issues so I say alternate starts with moose and no back to backs for either one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It really doesn't as soon as they score the Matadors will give up a goal...

The team is completely out of sorts. Either that, or we are. Maybe, juat maybe, our fan enthusiasm has caused us to think this team was better than it is

Reality sucks sweaty goat balls

• Haha 1

Digity,

As a fellow Mainer, you of ALL people should know that moose are NOT for riding!! Very dangerous and only a matter of time till "someone" gets hurt!! ;)

In all seriousness though, Moose is an EXCELLENT back-up but I don't believe for a second he's a starting goalie anymore.. even splitting the action. He seems to play best when coming off the bench in relief or getting his starts during back to backs.

I don't know. This season is kind of a wash to me anyway. I say we see what the kid really has (without injuring him!!!....Is Mcrossin still on the payroll?!).

I truly believe Hart will be a "bona-fide" #1 in the NHL for years to come. I just hope it's with us!

It's a little frustrating that a strength of this franchise was supposed to be it's developing corps of young defencemen, and the glaring weakness on the ice is defence.

It's not just the guys on the blue line, of course - team defense is still and thing and they're not looking terribly strong at it. It's just disappointing that losing Matt Niskanen apparently ripped the foundations out from under them.

We're into year nine as a middling, bubble playoff team. I get that they have games in hand, but they're still 7-5-2 at home and 6-4-1 on the road and 5-5 in their last ten and sometimes what you see is really what you've got.

Is it better than being Buffalo, Ottawa, or Detroit? Yes. But a lot of things are better than being Buffalo, Ottawa, or Detroit.

At this point I'm more worried about being better than the Islanders, Bruins, Capitals, and Pens...

:hocky:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

It's just disappointing that losing Matt Niskanen apparently ripped the foundations out from under them.

I know right who friggin knew?

Sad how losing one guy not named Pronger leads to a team coming completely unglued...