Game 25: Capitals at Flyers; 3/11/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Caps are a mild favorite and much better than the O and B over the last 10:

https://www.covers.com/nhl/capitals-vs-flyers-picks-predictions-march-11-2021

It looks like Samsonov in goals for the Caps.  The choice for the O and B---interesting. 

Edited by Howie58

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 25: Capitals at Flyers; 3/11/21 @ 7, NBCSP
8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

The Caps are a mild favorite and much better than the O and B over the last 10:

https://www.covers.com/nhl/capitals-vs-flyers-picks-predictions-march-11-2021

It looks like Samsonov in goals for the Caps.  The choice for the O and B---interesting. 

So Howie....do you bet on all these games? I noticed you're always posting this lines, etc.  I would imagine picking the Flyers would be tough right about now. 😉

Thanks for always posting the game day thread!

21 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I hate the fcking capitals🤬!

Man I sure hope they are going with rolling 7 D again that makes zero sense.

Some defensive capability in their own end tonight would be a welcome display.

These bang-bang goals behind our D are becoming "chronic."  Scratch that--they are.  I am sure AV has a Martini over it regularly.  I guess the question is personnel.  

A few years back we hoped Sam would be a porch-clearing presence.  Nope. Our newbies are "mobile" but not muscular and the forwards stand around waiting and watching.  I don't think we make the playoffs with this crap.  Some of the media pundits are saying that AV is telling CF to make a move.  

• Like 2

One of the things I noticed was Pete getting Ovechkin/Backstrom away from Couturier. He was changing on the fly since he didn't have last match-up and it worked.  One instance he got them out vs Bunny and NAK who collided at the blueline taking themselves out of the play, which as one can imagine lead to a goal. 

I wonder if fresher legs keeps that change from happening ?

Washington can be beaten they're not great. 

Edited by mojo1917

I'm glad Wilson is still out. We don't have anyone to keep that guy from running freely over our players.

I'm still trying to figure out how Laughton can get flipped at the faceoff circle vs. Buffalo, and nobody did anything about it. Apparently so is Paul Stewart:

Last night in Philadelphia, center Scott Laughton got flipped directly onto his head on a center ice face off by Buffalo's Curtis Lazar. It almost took a second to register what actually happened on the sequence but it was a dangerous situation (fortunately, Laughton turned out to be OK). Once again, I'm not sure how there was no call with the play taking place right at the center ice dot. I am also perplexed as to why no Philadelphia player responded, because this was a cut-and-dry situation where the expectation is automatic -- or at least used to be -- that someone stand up for his teammate. That's especially true because I've seen Laughton, in past situations involving a teammate felled by a questionable or dangerous play, be the first man to his defense. Those are the guys whose backs you should MOST want to have, but it should apply to anyone in your team's sweater.

To be crystal clear here; I'm not advocating trying to injure an opposing player nor do I want a return to bench clearing brawls. I am talking about a teammate saying "Do that to my teammate, and there's a battle on your hands." Opponents take fewer liberties when they know the guys on the other side collectively have each other's backs.

The officials had a job to do in that situation, and it wasn't done. Teammates also had a job to do, and that wasn't done, either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

I'm glad Wilson is still out. We don't have anyone to keep that guy from running freely over our players.

I'm still trying to figure out how Laughton can get flipped at the faceoff circle vs. Buffalo, and nobody did anything about it. Apparently so is Paul Stewart:

Last night in Philadelphia, center Scott Laughton got flipped directly onto his head on a center ice face off by Buffalo's Curtis Lazar. It almost took a second to register what actually happened on the sequence but it was a dangerous situation (fortunately, Laughton turned out to be OK). Once again, I'm not sure how there was no call with the play taking place right at the center ice dot. I am also perplexed as to why no Philadelphia player responded, because this was a cut-and-dry situation where the expectation is automatic -- or at least used to be -- that someone stand up for his teammate. That's especially true because I've seen Laughton, in past situations involving a teammate felled by a questionable or dangerous play, be the first man to his defense. Those are the guys whose backs you should MOST want to have, but it should apply to anyone in your team's sweater.

To be crystal clear here; I'm not advocating trying to injure an opposing player nor do I want a return to bench clearing brawls. I am talking about a teammate saying "Do that to my teammate, and there's a battle on your hands." Opponents take fewer liberties when they know the guys on the other side collectively have each other's backs.

The officials had a job to do in that situation, and it wasn't done. Teammates also had a job to do, and that wasn't done, either.

It it just the conformation of the complete pussification of the NHL and it has completely reformed the once infamous Broad Street Bullies.

Will now be referred to as the Broad Steet Ballarinas.

I would not want to go to war with this collection of pansies...after the first crack from a rifle pee would dribble all the way down and fill their skates...they should be ashamed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It it just the conformation of the complete pussification of the NHL and it has completely reformed the once infamous Broad Street Bullies.

Will now be referred to as the Broad Steet Ballarinas.

I would not want to go to war with this collection of pansies...after the first crack from a rifle pee would dribble all the way down and fill their skates...they should be ashamed.

I would like to see them get more physical, and tougher. My #1 problem with this roster, however, is that the overall product of the Philadelphia Flyers right now... is generally boring as hell, and not that good. Meanwhile Fletcher, and the rest of Flyers management, sit on their hands and preach patience. 

• Good Post 3

@OccamsRazor @mkscrewy @FD19372

I'm not a guy that pines away for the good old days, in hockey, technology, music... about anything. The good old days were just as ****ed up as the  now. 

I do wish the Flyers were better physically than they are currently though.

I wish they played like the Flyers teams of the Dave Poulin era, they weren't big into gooning it up but they played physically and they were effective.

I didn't see this Laughton play, I've heard him talk about it, and I can't imagine Hayesy and TK letting that slide. Did no one see it?

Stewart makes a great point, the Sarge comes to anyone's aid. He takes, a I'm guessing, dirty shot and his line-mates just left him laying there to die like they're Ivan Drago? wtaf?

It seems to me they miss Simmonds immensely. They tried Stewie in that role but he's not good at hockey.

Also when they've drafted guys with an "edge" they don't cut it even in the AHL.

So I think there are a lot of factors,  drafting a specific "high character" guy with a two way sensibility. I think it's coaching, I think it's the league's capricious handling of discipline there' a lot of reasons for the lack of toughness we perceive. 

I want them to win, I couldn't give two shits about message sending, but not sticking up for a guy that has had your back is not cool or effective imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I wish they played like the Flyers teams of the Dave Poulin era, they weren't big into gooning it up but they played physically and they were effective.

That team overachieved, but did so because of an undying will to win and their tenacity, not just toughness. This team needs to watch those Poulin era teams, to get an idea of what toughness and tenacity looks like, but some on that team weren't skilled enough offensively to compete in today's NHL. No way teams today would take liberties on them, though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I didn't see this Laughton play, I've heard him talk about it, and I can't imagine Hayesy and TK letting that slide. Did no one see it?

I know the players had to see it live or on the jumbotron.

And to not respond to this is just embarrassing.

So Andreoff in as the 12th forward and no Phil Myers.

So Phil is in AV's doghouse not good.

AV: I believe Phil has a tremendous amount of potential. One of the challenges, esp with young players is consistency.

There are things we've talked about with him too often: being 1st on the puck, taking hit to make a play. When he comes back in the lineup, he'll have to improve

Wtc92yvv_normal.jpg

Transaction: We have recalled forward Andy Andreoff from the Taxi Squad. We have also recalled goaltender Alex Lyon to the Flyers Taxi Squad from the

and goaltender Felix Sandstrom has been loaned to the Phantoms from the Taxi Squad.

Thought this was interesting.....

Both Hart and Elliott suck at stick handing. They need to stop trying. Every time either of them play the puck it ends up a turnover. Elliott makes bad pass to Provorov who can’t handle it and Ovie rips it into the net 😡

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

NHL.com shows the Flyers with 6 Turnovers in the first period and surprisingly none by JOKE Voracek. 

He still has plenty of time though...

I just got home so i missed everything before signing on.....so i will pretend it never happened...

• Haha 1