Flyers Place Gostisbehere On Waivers

Digityman

How much financial responsibility does the claiming team have when, picking a guy off waivers? and what does the cap number wind up being for the claiming team? 

Seems to me like, even though defensively he's not near as good as Eckblad, he could be a cheap option to help the Panthers keep their season alive.

They've been pretty good, Ghost has been better this season than he has been the last couple. He's from Sunrise- I think, I know he went to Majorie Stoneman-Douglas high school which is "not far".  He could keep that team from throwing in the towel this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I wonder, though, if this was in response to his, um, candor in the post-game presser the other night.

This would be a shame. 

There was nothing he said that wasn't true, and okay he cussed a couple of times and that got the twitters all excited because profanity=leadership.

Fletcher is old school and might be trying to foster some goodwill. He's the last of that type of GM- but maybe he thinks doing Fla a solid might be beneficial down the line?

So much fun speculating without knowing anything. Gotta love the 24 hour news cycle. 

• Like 2

While we're speculating about #sleptwithBrind'Amor'swife.

I'd like to add that with two whole days off to practice, now would be the ideal time to trade for a guy and have them get to know the room/system.

Would save a little "husband and wife" when the games go back to counting.

Really looking foward to the Marc Staal, and Mark Savard era beginning in Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Please explain this to me.

If this is to clear cap space why not waive Gus instead of Ghost. I know Gus is a pending UFA  and Ghost has 3years or so ,but  you would think that you could trade Ghost for some kind of draft pick in the offseason. It doesn’t make sense .

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This would be a shame. 

There was nothing he said that wasn't true, and okay he cussed a couple of times and that got the twitters all excited because profanity=leadership.

Fletcher is old school and might be trying to foster some goodwill. He's the last of that type of GM- but maybe he thinks doing Fla a solid might be beneficial down the line?

So much fun speculating without knowing anything. Gotta love the 24 hour news cycle. 

Someone overly sensitive douche got offended and Ghost was canceled. Are we sure it’s not a misprint and Gus was waived instead?

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Are we sure it’s not a misprint and Gus was waived instead?

that's what happened.

he was waived.

fun part is no one knows diddly/poo about why so some people, me mostly, are making things up.

I heard he actually pissed on Dave Scott's desk and said "how do you like this bias for action, punk".  

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I know Gus is a pending UFA

I would think this would make Gus a better trade asset because his contract is expiring.

But he'd have to be better at hockey to not be included as a sweetener/throw-in.

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Apparently I have unintended man-crush on Ghost and I can't see him for what everyone else can see him as.   I actually enjoy watching Ghost and if paired with the correct dman, I think he has a lot of value.   Then again, maybe that's why I'm not a NHL GM.  

How dare you think a player in the Flyers sweater doesn't suck and has actual value. C'mon man wtf?

I'll bet you would probably scoff at Couturier, Sanheim, Patrick and 2nd for Eichel too.

sheesh. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Good point.  Completely agree.   

Apparently I have unintended man-crush on Ghost and I can't see him for what everyone else can see him as.   I actually enjoy watching Ghost and if paired with the correct dman, I think he has a lot of value.   Then again, maybe that's why I'm not a NHL GM.  

To me Ghost actually provides creativity, something this team sorely lacks.  He's better than Ivan on the point on the PP that's for sure.   He's a better dman then Gus, Hagg.  Maybe he was negatively vocal about AV or Chuck.  

If he doesn't get claimed I'll be shocked. 

I agree. Ghost when playing with confidence is a dynamic player who is actually dangerous as hell. And he has a canon. 

I assume this is a calculated gamble that his salary would prevent anybody from claiming him. I hope they are right in that gamble.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would think this would make Gus a better trade asset because his contract is expiring.

But he'd have to be better at hockey to not be included as a sweetener/throw-in.

Only better in contract but Gus can't play actual hockey.   Ghost can.  I can't imagine any GM thinks that Gus is better than Ghost on any level.   (Not arguing, just stating.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

How dare you think a player in the Flyers sweater doesn't suck and has actual value. C'mon man wtf?

I'll bet you would probably scoff at Couturier, Sanheim, Patrick and 2nd for Eichel too.

sheesh. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Ha.   Right?   Although I would have done the hypithetical William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander for Meyers that was thrown around awhile back.  Not sure that was actually a thing but I would have pulled that trigger pretty quick.  

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's a moron this only clears a little less than a million...

Is that right?  I thought if he was claimed it's all on the team that claimed?   I'm not a cap guy.  (clearly)

If it clears only a million, then this is purely a shot across the bow at the team from AV/Chuck.  Fall in line, don't speak out.  To me it's asset mismanagement at it's finest.  

12 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I agree. Ghost when playing with confidence is a dynamic player who is actually dangerous as hell. And he has a canon. 

I assume this is a calculated gamble that his salary would prevent anybody from claiming him. I hope they are right in that gamble.

Maybe.  If he clears, do they have to recall him from the AHL when they come to their senses?  Does he have to clear again? 

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

would think this would make Gus a better trade asset because his contract is expiring

Bingo and Gus would get claimed.

Ain't no one picking up Ghost contract unless it is a team with plenty of cap space or a team wanting him for a playoff run.

And the expansion draft complicates a lot of things so if the team was to claim him for the playoff rental would expose him and hope and pray he gets selected.

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Is that right?  I thought if he was claimed it's all on the team that claimed?   I'm not a cap guy.  (clearly)

If it clears only a million, then this is purely a shot across the bow at the team from AV/Chuck.  Fall in line, don't speak out.  To me it's asset mismanagement at it's finest.  

Yes. With the new CBA there is no more burying contracts anymore you only get like 950K of what ever is owed off the books and yes if a team claims him they get the whole contract.

Not certain about a shot across the bow but it could be clearing up some room for a deal to come...