What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

I don't know if I'd be counting on York to play top 4 minutes yet. He could not step up like every young player did this past season.

To me adding Sanner to that trade is  like poking a hole in the wall so you can cover it with a piece of tape. 

I think the corps are stronger with Sanheim than without. Adding Parayko and not subtracting 9, 6 or 5 would be my preference.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, ruxpin said:

I'd take Hayes over Voracek every day of the week.  I know the difference in points, but he does other things Voracek wouldn't begin to know how to do

Fair enough - and I'd say Voracek can do things Hayes would never even think of. Hayes is stronger along the boards, Voracek is stronger on the move. Both guys abuse their strengths; Hayes hogs the puck and Voracek tries to split multiple defenders.

They're both overpaid but Hayes' contract really irks me. He's no 2nd line center but he's paid like a top line center. Voracek produces points but $8.25mil should buy you a big-time goal-scorer.

So those 2 are partly what's wrong with the Flyers but I'd say forget about either one going anywhere. AV obviously loves Hayes and Voracek's contract is pretty much a non-starter.

Supposedly Patrick wants out and apparently Seth Jones really wants out. They both make sense I only hope Fletcher doesn't make Jones an "offer he can't refuse." The Flyers are better than what they showed us this year but they're not "one player away," probably more like 3 years away. The big contracts will have expired, younger guys keep advancing (Myers, Sanheim, Konecny esp) etc. I guess Hart is the big question mark. Can he bring his A game on the road? When the Flyers were playing well, or at least as a team (2 seasons back) Hart struggled outside of Philly. Knowing somewhat of his history, the way he takes care of himself mentally and physically I think we can be optimistic about Carter Hart.

• Good Post 1

23 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Adding Parayko and not subtracting 9, 6 or 5 would be my preference.

Here is a start....i hope Chuckles is already on the phone....Flyers have a few to select from.

Rob Blake take a pick and make us an offer!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

I hear Ariel wants out of the Atlantic division, what would a trade look like for her?  Would Sebastian have to be included in the deal? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I think two dinglehoppers and a prospect should get it done

Does Ariel score goals or another passer?

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Send Patrick to Vegas for Cody Glass. Glass is never going to get a fair shake in Vegas and Patrick has history with the GM in Vegas. It makes too much sense. Let Vegas see what they can do with Kilger 2.0

I would do this trade. Tell him to pack his bags.

@ruxpin is driving.

• Haha 2

it looks like we are in for a major retool:

Elliotte Friedman on players and teams looking for changes, Canucks timeline - Sportsnet.ca

(around the 9:15 mark)

In response to an inquiry about the possibility of Travis Konecny being available, Friedman says that he believes the Flyers won't move Joel Farabee and probably not Carter Hart, but are basically considering anyone else on the roster. Says some teams will put a lot of players out there, then pull them back off the market, so it could be that kind of situation but hears the Flyers are considering some really interesting things.

• Good Post 1

Here's a piece on relatively affordable pieces that might help the O and B if they were available:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/6/11/22519722/hunting-for-treasure-in-the-offseason-flea-market-flyers-nhl-hockey-trades-free-agency-philadelphia

This is speculative, but if we don't go hog wild in free agency, these are some potentially available players.  If you believe our youngins are on the upswing, this kind of acquisition makes sense.  I get sick thinking about the O and B signing people long-term.  

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I get sick thinking about the O and B signing people long-term.  

I think we're all a little gun shy when it comes to free agent signings.

Lots of negative reinforcement there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think we're all a little gun shy when it comes to free agent signings.

Lots of negative reinforcement there.

Justifiably so though. I'm not even comfortable with the trade route because they hold on to declining assets for so long that once they make a deal, it's usually for a fraction of what they could have received had they done a deal six months earlier (Wayne Simmonds is a great example of that).

Part of it too comes from ownership meddling and part of it comes from advisors who meddle....cough.... Paul Holmgren....cough

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This is speculative, but if we don't go hog wild in free agency, these are some potentially available players.

I like Chris Tanev as a plan C option to sign if they miss out on a few other right hand options.

He is familiar with AV having played in the playoffs for him on two different runs when he was younger.

Ullmark is a very good option behind Hart as well. Blake Coleman i like but not willing to commit to the length of contract he would want. Jeannot on a one year deal i would consider for the bottom 6.

Wennberg is to soft for what the Flyers need...i would take a shot at Sam Bennett though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just saw it was announced Carolina is letting Hamilton talk to other teams.  I'm betting he'll hit the Flyers because he'll know that they'll spend the money.  Interesting move by Carolina

Because from reports they have a handshake agreement to a contract.

This is to allow them not to have to waste a protection on him and then Seattle can even talk to him and then when all is said and done with the expansion he will then sign in Carolina...they are showing Tampa they to can shirt the rules....watch and see.

Best thing the Flyers can do is find their guy and just go after him. If it isn't Savard then they need to pull the trigger on a Ellis trade.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like Chris Tanev as a plan C option to sign if they miss out on a few other right hand options.

He is familiar with AV having played in the playoffs for him on two different runs when he was younger.

Ullmark is a very good option behind Hart as well. Blake Coleman i like but not willing to commit to the length of contract he would want. Jeannot on a one year deal i would consider for the bottom 6.

Wennberg is to soft for what the Flyers need...i would take a shot at Sam Bennett though.

No to nepotism. Enough of these guys that have experience with AV.  They're basically gifted roster spots and that means someone who has put in the work is left standing on the sidelines because AV has gotta AV and play his guy. Remember that AV is the same guy that thought playing Nate Thompson against Matt Barzal was a great idea because Thompson brought size and grit. That's what this would be. No to Tanev.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

No to nepotism. Enough of these guys that have experience with AV.  They're basically gifted roster spots and that means someone who has put in the work is left standing on the sidelines because AV has gotta AV and play his guy. Remember that AV is the same guy that thought playing Nate Thompson against Matt Barzal was a great idea because Thompson brought size and grit. That's what this would be. No to Tanev.

My reason isn't the link to AV. He is a solid defender and you would have to trade for him.

However isn't the fleetest of feet...and is 31....so i would trade for him but it would be only for a Robert Hagg type deal.

Plus i think he has a NMC.

So he really isn't on the radar the article Howie posted had him on there and i was just addressing that.

The Flyers should have better options first and if they get to him anyways something terrible went wrong.

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Best thing the Flyers can do is find their guy and just go after him. If it isn't Savard then they need to pull the trigger on a Ellis trade.

I was not liking what I was seeing from the Savard/Sergachev pairing on Sunday.

I know a lot of the turnovers were on Sergachev, but Savard got spun a couple o' 3 times by various Islanders forwards too.

That blitz came while playing in a middle pairing role too. Tampa had last change and those guys were still exploited .

I think using Savard for a top pairing role will lead to unhappiness and tooth gnashing.

If the Flyers target him, I would hope it would be for middle or 3rd pairing and PK duties. I don't think he's an answer to 1R D. 

All the rest I agree with, Ellis, whomever, go all in and get them on board. 

Fran Healy Money GIF by Travis

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Four million per year, at least, on a 31 year old, with diminishing skills? Meh. They need to go all in on bringing Seth Jones here. He has to be the top priority for Chuckles. Please trade for him.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

According to Sam Carchidi, any trade for Seth Jones would have to include Myers, Patrick, Laughton and a 1st round pick. STEEP, but I would do this anyway and put a nice bow on them.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I was not liking what I was seeing from the Savard/Sergachev pairing on Sunday.

I know a lot of the turnovers were on Sergachev, but Savard got spun a couple o' 3 times by various Islanders forwards too.

That blitz came while playing in a middle pairing role too. Tampa had last change and those guys were still exploited .

I think using Savard for a top pairing role will lead to unhappiness and tooth gnashing.

If the Flyers target him, I would hope it would be for middle or 3rd pairing and PK duties. I don't think he's an answer to 1R D. 

All the rest I agree with, Ellis, whomever, go all in and get them on board. 

Fran Healy Money GIF by Travis

Yeah not sure I would get discouraged with one game the whole team played not so well in.

I am going off of what I seen in Columbus.

A physical type who isn't real flashy that makes the simple play and doesn't concede the blue line like Jones does.

However the price can always change my mind.

Ellis might be the best option. 

However the price for obtaining him could change my mind as well.

Chuckles has his hands full.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Four million per year, at least, on a 31 year old, with diminishing skills? Meh. They need to go all in on bringing Seth Jones here. He has to be the top priority for Chuckles. Please trade for him.

Yeah if they could move Braun I would be more inclined to do a Ghost for Tanev swap after the expansion.

But otherwise I find another option.

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

According to Sam Carchidi, any trade for Seth Jones would have to include Myers, Patrick, Laughton and a 1st round pick. STEEP, but I would do this anyway and put a nice bow on them.

I wouldn't do this especially after doing the research that Jones struggles preventing zone entries. The D man they need will.need to excel at preventing them.

Pass.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't do this especially after doing the research that Jones struggles preventing zone entries. The D man they need will.need to excel at preventing them.

Pass.

I don't know how much stock I put in that, considering that last season he played with Del Zotto, who was basically p*ss poor in takeaway/giveaways.

Edited by FD19372