Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

eleven24

On 4/26/2016 at 10:10 AM, eleven24 said:

I still laugh at the memory of Al Conroy, all 5 feet of him, waving at Mario's head in the corner and Mario flopping backwards like he was shot, then laying on the ice feigning injury.  Or Crosby, the strongest player I've ever seen on skates yet somehow goes down at a slight lean if there is no scoring chance.  Or how Pens fans rail on Flyers fans all the time, yet not a word when it was Philadelphia who gave him a standing ovation the night he returned from Hodgkins.

Yeah, I know.  We've had a love/hate relationship.  Or hate/hate sometimes.  Despite that, I think I respect you guys a bit more now after having a dose of the Washington Capitals.  It's their Friday night truck and tractor pull Verizon Center announcer.  Or the "Rock the Red" mentality of it's fanbase who have no idea who guys like Dale Hunter or Mike Gartner are.  Maybe it's their eye twitching complain to the ref at every whistle coach, or the front office always sending clips of misjustice to the DOPS. 

Whatever it is, I'm asking you a favor.  Beat the Washington Capitals.  Don't let them past the second round of the playoffs, again.  Do it for hockey's sake.  

You see, I know this kind of thing can get me kicked out of Flyerdom, but the Capitals don't deserve it.  Nor do their fans.  They're full of themselves right now thinking they dominated a series against the 8th seed Flyers, yet fail to understand that despite our lack of offense we were ONE bounce away from a game 7.  And we have ZERO offense.  They're ripe for the picking.  

In the words of Herb Brooks, I'm sick and tired of hearing what a good team they are.  Screw them.  This is your time.  Now go out there and take it.

Sincerely,

A Flyers fan

PS.  Of course, next year you will all still suck.  But until then....

Here is hoping that this could be done. The Pens have won 7 of the previous 8 series! Of the 8 series played 4 of the winners have gone on to play in the Stanley Cup Finals! Pens 3 Capitals 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Here is hoping that this could be done. The Pens have won 7 of the previous 8 series! Of the 8 series played 4 of the winners have gone on to play in the Stanley Cup Finals! Pens 3 Capitals 1

Pens won in 91,92 and in 09 winning the Cup all 3 years!

The Capitals won in 97 only to lose to Detroit in the Final series!

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, RJ8812 said:

**** the Penguins

**** the Caps

Hope the arena implodes during their game 

Well said, I can't stand either team. I hope they beat the **** out of each other and the winner has nothing left in the conference finals. As much as I like Justin Williams and Richards I hope a western conference team wins the cup.

On 4/28/2016 at 6:15 PM, notfondajane said:

Pens won in 91,92 and in 09 winning the Cup all 3 years!

The Capitals won in 97 only to lose to Detroit in the Final series!

Capitals didn't make the playoffs in 97. It was the Flyers who had the pleasure of being Detroit's punching bag that year. 

The Caps lost in the finals to Detroit in 1998——the franchise's only ever trip to the finals--but they didn't play Pittsburgh that year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Penguins,

Thank you for continuing the misery of the dirty Washington Capitals.  I'll admit, I do find it ironic that I turned to Sidney & Co as a means to defeat a whining sniveling group of entitled-to-the-Cup team and it's prepubescent band of Ovechkin jersey wearing fans.  It's hard to believe because in the grand comparison between Ovi and Sid, I'd always preferred the way Ovi played.  Maybe because it was more hard nosed hockey, like the Flyers style of play.  But it was also because despite his immense talent, Sid did nothing but whine and complain.

Seems to me the kid grew up.  Maybe it was the new coach, or maybe it's just getting older.  Either way, I am certain of one thing: I will once again despise him and the rest of his black and gold clad teammates and completely forget what I saw in these past few weeks.  That's right, I'll completely wipe out of my memory banks the notion that the Pens were fun to watch.

So again, thank you.  

You suck.

Sincerely,

A Philadelphia Flyers fan.

20 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Dear Pens, Go Bolts, that is all!

That feels way less dirty than rooting for the Caps or the Rags.

21 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Dear Pens, Go Bolts, that is all!

Despite their quality bottom 6, Somehow I don't think the Pens would have beaten anyone if they'd been missing both Crosby and Malkin... which is basically the equivalent of what the Bolts are missing... and winning anyway.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Despite their quality bottom 6, Somehow I don't think the Pens would have beaten anyone if they'd been missing both Crosby and Malkin... which is basically the equivalent of what the Bolts are missing... and winning anyway.  

Let's hope the Bolts can keep it going and eliminate the Pens

• 3 weeks later...

This week and the next three months just might end up being the worst ever. I hate everything about Pittsburgh, but most especially their sports teams.  In a year that so many of my idols, in music, sports and film have died, seeing that wretched western PA franchise hoist its 4th Cup will be devastating.  They don't even have a basketball team and they have 11 world championships while we have two World Series and one NBA championship since the Flyers last won one.  And please don't point out all the times we finished as runners-up.  That only makes it worse.

The sad thing is they (Pittsburgh Penguin's Management) pulled the typical Bobby Clarke/ Paul Holmgren with the Phil Kessel trade, and now look, he is tied for 5th in points in the post season. I swear the Flyers are doomed. Had Hextall acquired Kessel for an equivalent package, the team would still be golfing and the team would be on the hook for the salary for a decade to come. 

18 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

The sad thing is they (Pittsburgh Penguin's Management) pulled the typical Bobby Clarke/ Paul Holmgren with the Phil Kessel trade, and now look, he is tied for 5th in points in the post season.

I can't say that is a Clarke/Homer move. Kessel is 28.

If it was a Clarke/Homer move then they would have acquired him at 33 or 35.

Then i could see the similarities.

28 is actually in his prime years. I would have loved for them to have done that with Pronger, Hatcher, Rathje or even Jason Smith. Maybe even Vinny at 28. 

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't say that is a Clarke/Homer move. Kessel is 28.

If it was a Clarke/Homer move then they would have acquired him at 33 or 35.

Then i could see the similarities.

28 is actually in his prime years. I would have loved for them to have done that with Pronger, Hatcher, Rathje or even Jason Smith. Maybe even Vinny at 28. 

But to be fair, last July a lot of us in the Flyers camp were roasting the Penguins fans for the move. I wouldn't say he was the missing piece, but he sure a hell has been helping them get over the hump.

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

But to be fair, last July a lot of us in the Flyers camp were roasting the Penguins fans for the move. I wouldn't say he was the missing piece, but he sure a hell has been helping them get over the hump.

No he wasn't the missing piece but it was the collection of pieces (Hagelin and Daley who didn't even mesh with the Blackhawks) to go with the core players and the young guys (Sheary and Rust) that has worked out so well.

4 hours ago, Bertmega said:

And I thought a 60 year old Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield would have got them fired up. If that can't do it nothing can. 

...and yet they're still more talented than any band with members in their 20s and 30s that are out there.

Archived