Bummed on Yandle

Guest activestick

If there was one trade that SHOULD have been done, this was it.

If it could have been done now it can still be done after the season when the price should be lower. And if things work out in the draft, it might not have to be done at all.

• Like 1

@activestick

we'll see what the draft brings, i think we'll see some sort of trade for a Yandle type player around that time, depends also if we finish in the money or in the playoffs, if we get a top 5 pick that puts us in a better situation with less of "need" for the Yandle type.

Guys even if we get the #1 pick, we still need a top quality defenseman. We cant expect an 18 year old to step right in and be a big factor and play big minutes. No matter what happens we absoultely need a puck rushing ,young skilled defenseman on top of the defenseman we get in the draft. The Flyers have inuries to their defense EVERY year, we cant rely on Timmo to be the anchor of our defense and to be the only defenseman who generates any offense. A top young forward will be sacrificed for a defenseman.

• Like 1

Guys even if we get the #1 pick, we still need a top quality defenseman. We cant expect an 18 year old to step right in and be a big factor and play big minutes. No matter what happens we absoultely need a puck rushing ,young skilled defenseman on top of the defenseman we get in the draft. The Flyers have inuries to their defense EVERY year, we cant rely on Timmo to be the anchor of our defense and to be the only defenseman who generates any offense. A top young forward will be sacrificed for a defenseman.

True, but I would say that if the Flyers draft either Jones or Nurse, and maybe one of the other guys even, they can afford to trade for a 2nd tier type guy. Someone who can bring some offense but is more a 2nd pair guy. Basically if they can draft a future #1 they have more options.

• Like 1

@activestick

I agree with what others have said. Perhaps if the team wasn't decimated with injuries there could be a trade, but at this point I imagine that the starting price was Schenn, a 1st, + (high rated prospect; i.e. Cousins)

For how this season panned out, it may be best to draft high and re-tool this summer. There will be a lot of decisions and work to do in the off-season regarding Briere, Bryzgalov, etc.

For once I am truly excited that the Flyers did basically nothing at the trade deadline.

• Like 1

I agree. We need an experienced top tier d'man to step right in. Even a #1 pick D'Man will be a 2-3 year project to develop into an anchor. Let's hope it works out.

@activestick

I agree with what others have said. Perhaps if the team wasn't decimated with injuries there could be a trade, but at this point I imagine that the starting price was Schenn, a 1st, + (high rated prospect; i.e. Cousins)

For how this season panned out, it may be best to draft high and re-tool this summer. There will be a lot of decisions and work to do in the off-season regarding Briere, Bryzgalov, etc.

For once I am truly excited that the Flyers did basically nothing at the trade deadline.

Oh I agree with you. I've dumped this season. I was looking at Yandle as the anchor for next year and beyond. We're still going to need one.

"Guys even if we get the #1 pick, we still need a top quality defenseman. We cant expect an 18 year old to step right in and be a big factor and play big minutes. No matter what happens we absoultely need a puck rushing ,young skilled defenseman on top of the defenseman we get in the draft. The Flyers have inuries to their defense EVERY year, we cant rely on Timmo to be the anchor of our defense and to be the only defenseman who generates any offense. A top young forward will be sacrificed for a defenseman."

This is very true Ron, but I agree with JS on this one. Draft a highly touted prospect and let him develop. In the mean time our D could be slightly re-tooled via the UFA market. This is going to take time to get it right, but it makes the most sense to develop rather than over-pay.

We'll have Timmo, Schenn, Coburn, Grossman, and Gervais. Add a UFA and maybe make a minor trade for another puck mover and the team may be set.

This is very true Ron, but I agree with JS on this one. Draft a highly touted prospect and let him develop. In the mean time our D could be slightly re-tooled via the UFA market. This is going to take time to get it right, but it makes the most sense to develop rather than over-pay

Exactly what I'm thinking. The Flyers don't a young guy to step in and solve all their problems right away. I think Seth Jones will be in the NHL next year. I don't think another year in juniors is going to do him any good. Nurse may need another year or two. Either way, there are free agents and guys you can trade for without gutting your team that will get you going in the right direction.

• Like 1

also Mez. (if he can still play after all the injuries)

Gervais should be a depth guy at best. I'd rather see Lauridsen than Gervais.

But about Yandle. Ron is right we need him. Drafting Jones or Nurse, any of the top picks (D-men) is all well and good but Mez is probably done and that leaves Coburn Kimmo Grossmann and Schenn for the top 2 pairs. That's just not good enough. It's become painfully obvious that Coburn is incapable of being "the man" on D. Kimmo can be, he is, but he retires next year.

@radoran

I tend to agree with you. I don't believe Phx was actively shopping him. They were simply fielding calls to see if a GM would throw them an offer they couldn't refuse. Homer was right to inquire and Phx was also right to demand a King's ransom.

This wasn't a "must trade or lose" situation for Phoenix. If someone blew their doors off (say... Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and a 2nd for Mike Richards or Jake Voracek and Sean Couturier for Jeff Crater) then you certainly listen.

Instead, Phoenix retains a coveted defenceman at a reasonable salary signed for three more years and your doors can still be blown off.

I don't know if that's true - even philly.com got in on the story about Wilson floating his name - the writer said he'd be plenty expensive but that the Flyers were talking about what it would take.

I just posted in another thread I'd trade Couturier and Luke Schenn for Yandle. I almost added "am I nuts?" but I didn't - so I'll ask you - is that too much?

Yandle is perfect for Lavy's system and he's in his prime. The only question mark might be, does he transition okay to the Flyers, to the EC? I don't see why not.

Well anyway it's over till the summer - no Yandle yet...no D-men but oh, thank goodness we grabbed another forward off waivers - jeez can't even remember his name right now.

So even after this season some of you still think Timonen is a top pairing guy??

Are you aware KT is having his best season (points-wise) this year?

Defensively early on he was fumbling and bumbling around a lot - at least I saw more of that than I'm used to from him. But the past month or so he's been solid and putting up the only points we're getting from our D. Not saying much I realize but that's beside the point - Kimmo Timonen is having a career year.

So even after this season some of you still think Timonen is a top pairing guy??

Huh? He's been the team's best defenseman. Easily. He's sixth in scoring among NHL defensemen and is a +2 on a horrible defensive team. He's having an excellent year.

Edited by JackStraw

Keith Yandle = Matt Carle. Would you trade those guys for Carle?

I'm one of the few Matt Carle fans in Flyer-land but I think Yandle is better. Not leaps and bounds better, but better. He definitely has a better shot. Defensively they're probably pretty close, although I haven's seen nearly as much of Yandle obviously. No way would I trade Couts and Schenn for him though.

@canoli

@JackStraw

I see it differently. I see his assists being the result of no legit top pairing guy and hence Timonen gets all the PP time leading to loads of secondary assists. I also see he is slow, turns over the puck a lot, and no longer has the ability to use his skating to play positionally sound defense which was his forte'. I think your lucky if he's your best its half a season or his age would make for a really bad second half.

Seriously, your team is one good puck moving D-man away from making good an your expectations. I'm in agreement with those here stating Yandle would've been perfect for you guys if the price weren't so high. Then Timonen drops where he belongs... Second pairing or even third but with PP time.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922 - well, first of all what offensive defenseman doesn't pick up points on the PP? The Flyers have the top ranked PP in the league and he's really the only PP QB the team has, so he's obviously doing something right. Second, he has 2 PPG to Letang's 0, so they're not all secondary assists ;)

Nobody is claiming that he's the same player he was 10 years ago. If the Flyers had gotten Weber or Suter Timo would be on the second pair, which as you say is where he should be at this point in his career (like he was when Pronger was playing). But the guy has been great for the Flyers ever since they got him and can still get the job done. We would be dead last in the league this year without him and nobody else would be close.