Players you want Fletch to get this off-season

tucson83

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seth Jones?

Ok what would a Jones trade look like?
- DrMidnite

Will take a guess at the ask based on an assumption the player would be willing to extend in Philly rather than testing UFA in 2022: Konecny, one of Sanheim/Myers, unsecured 1st round pick in 2022.

Been disappointed in Sanheim, and that being said...I would much rather give up Myers.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:24 AM, OccamsRazor said:

This is a pretty solid look forward at the roster...i like it except one skater.

Not bad.

Just one tweak i would like to pick up salary on Jake if need be and move him somewhere else.

Seems like the L.A. Kings might need a winger like him. Somewhere anywhere but here.

Giroux - Couturier - Allison

Laughton - Hayes - Farabee

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

Frost - Laczynski - Aube-Kubel

Provorov - Hamilton

Sanheim - Myers

Morin - Gostisbehere

Braun

Hart

Halák

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or just keep all that and just go all in on Hamilton?

I would. Jones was really looking like he was becoming a top defenceman in the NHL, but his last couple of years have been pretty underwhelming. And he'll likely be looking for a big raise after next year.

So maybe he'd fit right in. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I would. Jones was really looking like he was becoming a top defenceman in the NHL, but his last couple of years have been pretty underwhelming. And he'll likely be looking for a big raise after next year.

So maybe he'd fit right in. 

As long as fans know that Hamilton isn't that shutdown type of defenseman that was mentioned to be needing.

But he can help get this power play going and he can help with the puck possession game and he can help take some pressure off Ivan when it comes to securing the puck and getting it up to the forwards to get the transition going.

I think when it comes to actual defense he is slightly better than Sanheim.

But you wouldn't have to move TK and Myers and the pick to get him just the contract offer this summer for about 7-8 mill per season.

I would love 5 years but we know Chuckles will want to max it out to 7 years.

I would love this move more if they can also subtract one of JVR or Jake (pick a way to do it I don't care as long as they are gone).

• Like 1

I’d love to have Jones, but i don’t think I’d want to give away too much in terms of proper rebuild pieces. We need far more than just a guy like Jones.

and i love Jones. He’s very near the top of my list personally.  

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or just keep all that and just go all in on Hamilton?

Hamilton has some game, he also has some baggage. Boston and Calgary wanted him gone. Perhaps he has grown up a little since then.

IMHO, one piece like Hamilton or Jones doesn't move this group into the top 4 in the east. I would still like to see a gutting and a couple of years of top 3 picks. Thats just me. I just don't see this team being playoff hardened. Montreal and NYI rag dolled them in the playoffs last year, with little push back. 

• Good Post 1

Say what you want to say but when one of:

Rinaldo

Carbomb

R. White

....was on the team we weren't being rag dolled. Morin is nice but we need a forward, like Simmonds.

We need a Tocchet.

This isn't a request. This is a fact.

I miss Shjon Podein, even Petr Svoboda.

8 hours ago, elmatus said:

I’d love to have Jones, but i don’t think I’d want to give away too much in terms of proper rebuild pieces.

could you explain what these are? Do we actually have "proper rebuild" pieces? And since they have never done it, does the Org know what  "proper rebuild is"?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

could you explain what these are? Do we actually have "proper rebuild" pieces? And since they have never done it, does the Org know what  "proper rebuild is"?

I mean, your first question would definitely mean not giving up first round picks, which I noticed some people have mentioned. We're not going to rebuild anything if we start handing away our single best chance at landing elite players. Aside from that, a good GM should definitely be able to get more picks and decent prospects for trading away Giroux/Voracek/Hayes, who should all be moved imo in the off season. Someone might take a Flyer on JVR too, but I'm not quite as hopeful on that one personally.

As for your second question, yeah I dunno man. I hope so? But you're right in that this org really seems to be allergic to proper rebuilding, so it's hard to tell if they'd ever even bother trying, let alone be any good at it. The jury's definitely still out on that one.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

55 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I've always been of the opinion that giving up a 1st for a legit star caliber player is worth the move. But I totally get your point

It is if he is a key piece.

You can't just plant all these seeds and expect them to all bloom at the same time and same rate and expect them all to collectively accomplish the main goal.

However you need experience to help guide the youth along the way. 

So in my opinion it starts with the foundation which I think is shaping up.

Hart

Couturier 

Hayes

Provorov

Farabee

Koencny

Allison

Lindblom

Laughton

NAK

Sanheim

Myers 

Morin

I want to put Patrick there but a solid base.

So it needs filling out.

4 spots along the forward group.

4 D men.

So who fills that out who of the not listed is what can shape it further.

Giroux

Voracek

JVR

Ghost

Hagg

Braun

Pieces I call around hard to try and move.

I got the safe option and offer Savard a 5 year deal and plug him along side Ivan.

And if you can't move Ghost this wouldn't be the world's worst.

Provorov - Savard

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hakanpää

Morin

This would be an upgrade in my mind.

York and Zamula look to be trying to break in by next year too.

Now the forwards well that is a separate long conversation I don't want right now.

But free agency must be meshed with the draft youth movement.

Giroux more than likely comes back for another year.

Hayes ain't going anywhere.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is if he is a key piece.

You can't just plant all these seeds and expect them to all bloom at the same time and same rate and expect them all to collectively accomplish the main goal.

However you need experience to help guide the youth along the way. 

So in my opinion it starts with the foundation which I think is shaping up.

Hart

Couturier 

Hayes

Provorov

Farabee

Koencny

Allison

Lindblom

Laughton

NAK

Sanheim

Myers 

Morin

I want to put Patrick there but a solid base.

So it needs filling out.

4 spots along the forward group.

4 D men.

NAK? his lack of development is a red flag. I wouldn't put any priority here. We are stuck with Laughton. Ok, he's Raffl 2.0 and ain't going anywhere. He will probably be an ok support piece. Lindblom? Great kid. Great story. Is he going to develop? And if his recovery hindered his play this season, why put him out there? Patrick? I wouldn't trust him to sweep the parking lot. Konecny? What a disappointment. MAybe a change of scenery if he brings back a valuable piece

Send Voracek home with a one way ticket and forget he ever existed

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I've always been of the opinion that giving up a 1st for a legit star caliber player is worth the move. But I totally get your point

Yeah, I agree with you for sure. The main issue is that not many teams are giving up those star caliber players. But hey, if Boston decides they've had enough of Pastrnak, or Edmonton thinks having Draisaitl is just too much, or Colorado figures they have too much elite talent on their foolishly stacked roster, please get them on the phone...

Edited by elmatus

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Lindblom? Great kid. Great story. Is he going to develop?

My problem is not with Lindblom. I can tell that he busts it, every shift. It's with an organization that throws him out there, as a first line player. That is irresponsible on their part. I don't think he's there yet. I'm not sure anyone else on the roster is a first line left winger, either, including JVR....though.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

NAK? his lack of development is a red flag. I wouldn't put any priority here. We are stuck with Laughton. Ok, he's Raffl 2.0 and ain't going anywhere. He will probably be an ok support piece. Lindblom? Great kid. Great story. Is he going to develop? And if his recovery hindered his play this season, why put him out there? Patrick? I wouldn't trust him to sweep the parking lot. Konecny? What a disappointment. MAybe a change of scenery if he brings back a valuable piece

Send Voracek home with a one way ticket and forget he ever existed

I don't care enough to even debate this. I'm almost indifferent to them all.

However it would be nice to have a Flyer who would stick up for his team mates.

I remember when the Flyers use to do this. Just play tough. Passion and fun to watch.

If this team can get Gaudreau, a Seth Jones or Savard, and a couple of depth guys (3rd, 4th liners) that chip in some goals, but just as importantly...some tough players that would be fearless (not stupid) in throwing their weight around, I would be ecstatic. Throwing a big check can get the team going, as much as a goal...or in rarer cases these days, a fight.

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't care enough to even debate this. I'm almost indifferent to them all.

great points!

agreed

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We have that guy....Oskar Lindblom, but THAT, in itself...is a problem. This team is softer than Charmin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

If this team can get Gaudreau, a Seth Jones or Savard, and a couple of depth guys (3rd, 4th liners) that chip in some goals, but just as importantly...some tough players that would be fearless (not stupid) in throwing their weight around, I would be ecstatic. Throwing a big check can get the team going, as much as a goal...or in rarer cases these days, a fight.

i think they are going to need more than this maybe at least 7 vets depending on how much fletch can clear this summer, 3 on d one on each line and 4 on the forwards at least one on each line and actually won a championship it will help the kids a ton.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

i think they are going to need more than this maybe at least 7 vets depending on how much fletch can clear this summer, 3 on d one on each line and 4 on the forwards at least one on each line and actually won a championship it will help the kids a ton.

That is highly unusual to see THAT much ...7..veterans added tp the team. I just want to see a really good veteran free agent defenseman that can play with Provorov, as well as a sniper...Gaudreau...and a couple of guys up front, who aren't shy at all about being physical and have a little bit of a mean streak. I don't care if those guys are 3rd or 4th liners, but they DESPERATELY need those elements.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:22 PM, FD19372 said:

I just want to see a really good veteran free agent defenseman that can play with Provorov, as well as a sniper...Gaudreau...

If Fletcher could pull that off it'd be a huge upgrade regardless whatever else happens. But I don't think Gaudreau will win many fans in Philly if / when the Flyers make the POs again.

I haven't looked it up but I would bet his PPG falls off dramatically in the POs. I know he tore it up at BC and I know he has real good regular seasons stats...I just worry he can't step up when it's PO time.

[edit: PPG reg season = 0.94; PPG playoffs = 0.63.

Maybe like Giroux the knock for his dropoff in the POs is a little unfair...but it's not completely unfair.]

Edited by GratefulFlyers
added stats

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I haven't looked it up but I would bet his PPG falls off dramatically in the POs. I know he tore it up at BC and I know he has real good regular seasons stats...I just worry he can't step up when it's PO time.

Ask and you shall receive ......

image.png.4c9424e5e09c07fe75ecd2af81827ad6.png

here are his PO stats .... and as you alluded to he has 0.63 PTS/game.  In 2 playoff series he had ZERO goals.  Though regular season PTS are nice, ultimately I want to see a player who is going to elevate their game during the Playoffs.  For me personally, Johnny hockey is a hard NO.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Maybe like Giroux the knock for his dropoff in the POs is a little unfair...but it's not completely unfair.]

agree ..... I'd have to do some research but I'm curious to see who his line-mates were...