Game 49: Capitals at Flyers; 2/17/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

If I were CF, I'd begin to wonder if it is time to buy out JVR.  Mayhew, earning $800K on a two-way, is energized and almost willing the team to victory.  WTF is JVR doing these days at $7 million? On a positive note, maybe Sanheim is growing.  

Another thought:  Jones' GAA and save percentage don't reflect his game.  The first was strange.  The others were dangerous chances.  This wasn't his fault.  

• Like 2

Well that was the best game of the year by the Flyers, truly. A lot of fun to watch, the game had a bit of everything ... the final 3 minutes were forgettable but predicable.

57 minutes of good hard work, as a team - nice seeing them attack with speed. On D what can you say? The same holes killed them... coverage what coverage?

Sanheim's best game (again) - what a difference with Ristolainen out.

And Frost was good defensively but a total zero on offense, just nothing to speak of. I wonder if he'll ever get it going in the O&B. You can see the puck-handling talent, the strength in the scrums...could just be the line mates he's skating with.

Anyway, a lot to enjoy...and then the standard-issue collapse. No big deal...what else is new?

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If I were CF, I'd begin to wonder if it is time to buy out JVR.

He really is a stiff isn't he? And annoying to boot. He was bad before but now with the Flyers out of the picture he is totally checked out. The invisible man is now...what... even more invisible...? See what I mean? Annoying. :-)

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He really is a stiff isn't he? And annoying to boot. He was bad before but now with the Flyers out of the picture he is totally checked out. The invisible man is now...what... even more invisible...? See what I mean? Annoying. :-)

Yes. He's all fizz.   No pop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well that was the best game of the year by the Flyers, truly. A lot of fun to watch, the game had a bit of everything ... the final 3 minutes were forgettable but predicable.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

Rarely has a team been so celebrated for "57 minutes" of effort in a "predictable" losing effort in a lost season moments before trading the longest tenured captain in franchise history.

Yes, I'm sardonic. That's what the worst decade in the franchise's history has done.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

It's nothing personal.

dc comics joker GIF

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

If I were CF, I'd begin to wonder if it is time to buy out JVR.  Mayhew, earning $800K on a two-way, is energized and almost willing the team to victory.  WTF is JVR doing these days at $7 million? On a positive note, maybe Sanheim is growing.  

Another thought:  Jones' GAA and save percentage don't reflect his game.  The first was strange.  The others were dangerous chances.  This wasn't his fault.  

Soyheim has shown some real good flashes of offensive skill this year, he has scored a few nice goals and made some good plays. Maybe he will never be a defensive stalwart but if he steps up his offensive game it can offset his defensive lapses. He was an offensive force in the juniors constantly up on the play and scoring big goals, let’s hope he can take it up a few notches next year. I think a lot of problems with these players is a lack of confidence, it’s hard to gain confidence when you are always losing.

• Like 1

been a tough sporting week.

The hoops team teen-girl-mojo cheers for lost in the county semi-finals by a bucket to the "best team we've had in 10 years" feel good story opponent. Teen-girl's lib extension was tight though!

The boys coulda, shoulda, woulda that game. Our county is pretty competitive in basketball -the top 8 to 10 teams can usually beat anyone else in that group. They had a shot and thought they could win- but they didn't. Our best player's 35 footer at the buzzer to tie missed off the glass and then rim- I've seen him make that shot. There was hope when he let it go.

I tuned into the Flyers @ 2-2 to see, was it a competitive 2-2 or was it the typical outclassed-but still tied 2-2?

To watch the Flyers lose the way they did was gut wrenching. 100% mental and then the Carlson empty net goal from 200 feet off the glass was the perfect encapsulation of this season. They had a shot, and knew they wouldn't win and they conjured it. I knew after the Mayhew goal, pretty as it was- they would find a way to lose. Hopeless

And there is 35 more games of this hockey? 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Uggh... 2

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed--will anybody take him?  I think he's a spent force.

Retain $3M and they're better off than a buyout ($4.33M next year, $1.33M year after).

Someone would probably take him at $4M for next year.

I'll wager they won't play him on the third line or with a Scott Laughton as his center...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Retain $3M and they're better off than a buyout ($4.33M next year, $1.33M year after).

I'll wager they won't play him on the third line or with a Scott Laughton as his center...

L.A. Kings could maybe use him as a depth piece.

If not them surely if they retain the salary someone should see value in him right?

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

L.A. Kings could maybe use him as a depth piece.

If not them surely if they retain the salary someone should see value in him right?

Main thing is that they need to clean house. I'm thinking "everyone over 25" but it might be too late for that. I'd consider keeping Couturier, but then again he just signed a career-ending deal to stay with a team that hasn't done squat in a decade so I'm kinda questioning his sanity. And mine, of course.

That said, it's not just the roster that needs cleaning. It's the people running the organization* who think "it's the way we've always done things" is a legitimate reason to keep doing them that way after ten years of mediocrity and failure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

Rarely has a team been so celebrated for "57 minutes" of effort in a "predictable" losing effort in a lost season moments before trading the longest tenured captain in franchise history

ha! you really have a talent for putting the worst spin on anything Flyers-related. It's admirable really.

If you wanted to though you could disregard the big picture for a minute and just watch the game. Like last night. I bet you would've seen what I did - the usual defensive lapses and some really good rushes, accurate passing (believe it or not) and even the PP (PP2) looked like a cohesive unit.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking you or your perspective. Even if I wanted to I couldn't bc re: the bigger picture you're right. All I'm saying to a fellow Flyers' fan is - it is possible to enjoy Flyers' games this year. But you have to want to. And I should caution you and anyone else, you'll have to take it shift by shift (!).

And of course I realize you shouldn't have to "work" to watch your fav hockey team. But as a great man once said, "it is what it is" (he followed that up with "duh").

Last night for whatever reason the Flyers played like a team. And then, because this is who they are, they blew it. It took a remarkably bad play by Provorov but in 3 minutes they went from Flyers to Failures.

But hey once Giroux is gone they'll be Winners again ... 😜

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

ha! you really have a talent for putting the worst spin on anything Flyers-related. It's admirable really.

It's really no effort at all.

It's just reporting what's actually happening.

heath ledger joker GIF

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

I wonder about him.  He may be a victim of a poor squad (he needs people to set him up), or he may be another Simmonds who is falling off the cliff.  Either way, I think he's an expensive legacy.  I think his marketability may be limited.  If he's around next year and has a decent season, maybe he's trade bait.  Again, I can get a kick out of a guy like Mayhew, who really is taking advantage of an opportunity.  Seeing JVR float around....a reminder of bad choices, drafts, signings...ineffectiveness of changing coaches, etc.  

• Like 3