Game 51: Blues at Flyers; 2/22/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

I have been around the game of hockey for over 50 years as a youth player, coach, hockey parent and obsessed fan. For the life of me I cannot figure out;

- How a team can regularly allow an opponent to score within a minute of you scoring a goal?

- How a group of professional hockey players and professional coaches cannot fix the Power Play? I swear it’s gotten worse as this season has gone along. 

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes Provorov is really fighting it...half his touches are flubs or near-flubs. Most times he recovers or someone saves the puck before it's a TO.

He just reeks of no confidence. TK too. TK is still skating well, staying involved but he can't shoot to save his life. I think when a team gets this bad it's tough for guys to keep their mojo going, esp younger guys in big roles.

Now the Flyers are playing better the past week or so Provorov's struggles stand out even more.

yet they keep putting him out there on the PP.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

HA!!!

I hope they like the merchandise. 

Hey I see Steve Eminger is scouting for the Rangers...while the 1st round pick the Flyers sent for him is still playing for the Capitals. Another rock solid Homer move.

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 3

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey I see Steve Eminger is scouting for the Rangers...while the 1st round pick the Flyers sent for him is still playing for the Capitals. Another rock solid Homer move.

Yes the pick was Carlson a very good defensemen.

10 hours ago, Samifan said:

- How a team can regularly allow an opponent to score within a minute of you scoring a goal?

It's crazy. Last night Giroux's line wasn't dogging it on that shift - Braun and Provorov either. They didn't seem confused on the coverage but the Blues just dissected the Flyers' D with some real good puck movement low to high. Tarasenko finds a seam and bangzoom it's in the net.

I was hoping Yeo would call his TO after Oskar scored. Might not have done any good but it might've. Take a minute before the next shift...calm everybody down...I dunno. It really is crazy because like you said about the PP getting worse, so is this "syndrome" or whatever the hell it is.

• Like 1

@GratefulFlyers

The parts of the game I watched. (was also wathing UConn Villanova, great game weird calls in the final 10 seconds. )

I didn't really see anyone "dogging it". I haven't really seen that too often since Yeo has been the coach.

I see effort, what I don't see is talent to sustain pressure from shift to shift.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

just dissected the Flyers' D with some real good puck movement low to high.

What is this term/statement mean???

I'm a Flyer fan you're allowed to do this??? And it's within the rules who knew....someone need to teach this Flyer team those tactics...i was thinking they were allowed to pass swiftly with accuracy....

themoreyouknow-more.gif.7277bd5b88ff3d0866f4ae0d86d4cc71.gif

:BrownBag:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@GratefulFlyers

The parts of the game I watched. (was also wathing UConn Villanova, great game weird calls in the final 10 seconds. )

I didn't really see anyone "dogging it". I haven't really seen that too often since Yeo has been the coach.

I see effort, what I don't see is talent to sustain pressure from shift to shift.

This is a good assessment.  Chris Maher said it as well.  Even Mike Yeo said it in a roundabout way putting things in the context of injury.  In his post-game two days ago, he talked about progress overcoming bad habits.  I think that's relevant.  Yeo is not an exciting speaker--he's flat and a bit robotic--but sincere.   We are clearly more competitive and these losses aren't embarrassing.  Yeo is delivering the most we can expect with the clay he has to mold.  That raises a question of whether he'll be rewarded with a permanent appointment.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samifan said:

I have been around the game of hockey for over 50 years as a youth player, coach, hockey parent and obsessed fan. For the life of me I cannot figure out;

- How a group of professional hockey players and professional coaches cannot fix the Power Play? I swear it’s gotten worse as this season has gone along. 

The opposition scoring "phenomenon" is hard for me to understand.  The PP ineptitude isn't.  I think it's part of the outshoot but underscore pattern, coupled with being a good faceoff team.  We don't have high end scoring talent.  Bunnaman is an exemplar.  The guy has good possession numbers--His Corsi and advanced metrics were over 50%--no scoring.  I hope that Farabee is the first of a few newbees with shoot first mentality that turns things around.  We also need to keep the puck in the opponents' end, but that's for another thread--but that may speak to your first problem about giving up goals so quickly.

• Like 2