Ristolainen Re-signs with Flyers

mojo1917

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

whispers that Giroux may not waive his NMC because *emotions-

are there honestly such whispers? JFC

I mean, I have always fully expected them to re-sign him for next year. But he helps the team if he is traded for an asset as well and he gets a legit chance at a Cup.

That said, I'm also not entirely sure that the teams he wants to go to want to part with the assets the Flyers want in order to send him there.

• Like 1

Even trying to just look at the position and not this particular player. 

5x5 seems like a lot for a #4 defenseman.

In three years with a rising cap, maybe that's market price, maybe not.

When the player is factored in, is Ristolainen one of the 120 best defensemen in the league? 

Well, some people think so. Is he in the top 90? definitely not, his metrics are still no bueno, but I do think he's in that top 120. 

That means we're paying a high aav to middling #4 for 5 years.

Will he get better?

My magic eightball's signs point to no block is getting worn out. 

He does hit, yay... but, he also cedes the blueline pretty easily. Now is this happening because his partner is up ice and he has a forward covering so is trying to defend all 90 sq feet of the zone?  

Doesn't matter, he gets dog-walked at the blueline too much for a guy with his physical gifts. 

I don't have the best feeling about this extension, it doesn't feel as bad as one Andrew MacDonald deal but that was a low point. This has more of a JvR redux feel for me. 

dang it.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

are there honestly such whispers? JFC

Anthony was saying G is taking the prospect of leaving pretty hard, mentioned since the Fletcher press availability with Dilatant Scott Giroux's production has nosedived.

This may cause "interested teams" to think twice about giving up "the ask" because they fear wounded mouse is coming to their team and not the near point per game 62% face off player. 

I have an amount of empathy, as I've explained in the G trade thread, but not so much that I think what SanFillipo was talking about is justifiable in any capacity. 

Take the family, make it an adventure, keep the trap shut about future plans if the heart is set on finishing here.

Maybe this is easier said than done, but we are talking about an adult who should be capable of such actions. 

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

C’mon, why does everyone have to be so negative all the time?

It’s too soon to judge Chuck’s moves.  Let’s give this move a couple years before we jump to conclusions.  I want to see what this team looks like when Couturier starts his 8 year extension coming off surgery and Ellis comes back from missing almost an entire year.  With a couple of smart moves we could turn this thing around next year.

With every player currently signed and healthy, this Flyer team is mediocre, at best.  It seems that is the goal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Take the family, make it an adventure, keep the trap shut about future plans if the heart is set on finishing here.

Quite Frankly, any team that doesn't think this is a 100% rental is fooling themselves. The one's he'd even be interested in going to also don't really have the room to extend him anyway.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Maybe this is easier said than done, but we are talking about an adult who should be capable of such actions. 

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

I was taken aback at the length and term of this deal. What comes to mind:

1. Maybe he sees a future working pairing with Sanheim. That might be a bright spot in a dismal season.

2. CF knows Ellis may not come back and we have another Rathje on our hands. This is an insurance policy.

3. He can't psychologically take the sunk costs and move on.

4. He thinks advanced stats don't tell the whole story.

The signing doesn't leave me feeling any better about the Flyers' future. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

1. Maybe he sees a future working pairing with Sanheim. That might be a bright spot in a dismal season.

2. CF knows Ellis may not come back and we have another Rathje on our hands. This is an insurance policy.

another possibility, Fletcher's head is stuck completely up his a$$

image.jpeg.268283f77f6dd22e57d8cb86a5e79ae6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

IMO, it's these two. No GM gives up what he gave up and walks away after Y1.

And every GM thinks they're smarter than everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Season 2 Wine GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Thanks 1

Or he's trading Sanheim, cause he's actually good. 

No it's not. Ristolainen isn't any good. 

Bingo!

Fletcher clearly is a lot dumber than his education says he is. 

This team is screwed for years.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ron Hextall made Fletcher sign Ristolainen to this contract.

Well, after he forced Homer to send a 2nd and a 3rd for MacDonald and then twisted his arm to give him that contract, that's just clearly the type of deranged lunatic Hextall was...

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, radoran said:

But he helps the team if he is traded for an asset as well and he gets a legit chance at a Cup

Yes it sucks it is like being deployed.

But it is to chase a dream...think of it as going to the Allstars "weeks"....to hoist what he has always chased.

If he comes back then he may have even learned something useful to continue on Philly.

Like coming back from battle...........hopefully not on his shield.

Unless he knows he will be tempted even further once he gets gone and learns something "new" and a different perspective.

Winning is addictive or is to some....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Sure we do , we are addicted to 10 game losing streaks,it’s similar to a 10 day crack binge.

Speak for yourself.

I hate this losing and the hopelessness that permeates this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Speak for yourself.

I hate this losing and the hopelessness that permeates this team.

When I said we , I meant the team, not us the long suffering fans. I’m tired of losing too ,but I truly believe it had to get worse before it gets better . I know it’s a long shot , but if Schmuck gets a great return for Giroux and we get a top five pick and he drafts a good player it can at least give us something to hope for. We have some good young guys like Ratcliffe, Brink, Zamula, York and Foerester  , O’ Brian is starting to look like a good prospect .

Lindblom is starting to come on and Sanheim is showing some great plays in the offensive zone. Hart is very good. We just need a good coach for next year who is gonna give the young guys a chance to play and not have a team full of Brassards and Charlie Browns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I hate the Flyers. I'm done.

The Risto signing makes NO sober sense from either an eye test nor a metrics test.

Fk the flyers. Utter garbage

Join me in denver. I'll buy the first pitcher

• Like 1