Giroux Traded to Panthers.

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Just read a report that said Laughton would be a good candidate for captain. I punched the person sitting next to me. Old lady never saw it coming

:hockey-penalty-box-smiley-emoticon:

I was going to say give it to Mayhew but the Ducks snag him on waivers and are probably going to make him their Captain.

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

@CoachX

I know you don't like him much, but I think Laughton would be an excellent candidate for it.

I think he has a personality that enables him to be decent to be around but will call a guy out if a situation demands it. 

He is a good player, not great, but he plays PK and does all the things on the ice the team asks of him, and he does them pretty well.

He reminds me a little of Wayne from Letterkenny.

Great trash talker, tolerant, will fight when it's called for, does what he perceives as the right thing all the time.

The team could do worse IMO,

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

I know you don't like him much, but I think Laughton would be an excellent candidate for it.

I think he has a personality that enables him to be decent to be around but will call a guy out if a situation demands it. 

He is a good player, not great, but he plays PK and does all the things on the ice the team asks of him, and he does them pretty well.

He reminds me a little of Wayne from Letterkenny.

Great trash talker, tolerant, will fight when it's called for, does what he perceives as the right thing all the time.

The team could do worse IMO,

I want to see him as Captain so we can watch @CoachX spontaneously combust.

I will wear my safety glasses should be amazing like a bag of skittles exploding!

• Haha 3

From what I see on the ice and also what I read about Laughton he is by far the best choice for captain. He’s well respected by his teammates and he’s a natural leader, one of the few this season you knew would compete hard every shift. So my guess it’ll be Hayes. 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's not Fletchers worst trade. It's not even close. It's the fact that he seems to give the other team the better deal every...single...time. That's how he's taken an up and coming Flyer team...all the way to 4th from the bottom of the league...while somehow trading away youth and draft picks. And adding multiple bad long term contracts.

If this was one of the few bad trades he made maybe people wouldn't be so frustrated. But it's come to be expected.

And if Giroux said he'd only go to one team what was with his comment about Florida being at the top of his list? A list isn't one team. 

Why do so many of his trades need explaining on why he didn't get value out of it?

It's pretty sad when one of your GMs best trades of all time is Brassard for a 4th.

I don't want to defend Fletcher, because the state of the team speaks for itself.  I just don't know if he could've done anything more than what he did here.

I'm a fantasy GM so I don't get into who got the better "value" or what lower level prospects and picks are involved (unless they are starting a rebuild...that's when picks and prospects are important). Chucks problem isn't giving up picks and prospects and getting less value in a trade. His problem is he just doesn't find good players. He brings in Hayes and JVR (I think that was a chuck move). Two of the laziest players in the NHL. Atkinson and Risto are OK. Yandle is horrible. I don't even know who the guy with the long beard is.

This team still has a lot of Hextal stank on it though. TK is underwhelming. Provorov has dropped of. Hart is average. Hagg and Myers are gone. Sanheim is average. Frost can't even make the team.  This was the highest ranked farm system at one point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm curious, what have you seen him do, or heard reported, that makes you think this?

I dont see him doing much of anything. He's one of numerous players the Flyers have had that fit this role.

Great trash talker, tolerant, will fight when it's called for,

Gotta call bs here. He averages 1 fight per season.  Last time he fought twice in a season was 2018 (according to hockeyfights)

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But i love skittles....you won't go to waste i promise!

Hate to disappoint,  but if my head exploded, which it will if this happens, it would look like the turkey from Christmas vacation

image.png.5200066938d1d985cbfd04a94e2af368.png

Edited by CoachX
  • Haha 3

On 3/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, OccamsRazor said:

But where was the 3rd shooter?

:bonkingheadonwall:

He was in the sewer firing from the front. It was Johnny Roaelli, Giancanas boy from Chicago. He was later found in a barrel in Biscane  Bay in Miami.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He was in the sewer firing from the front. It was Johnny Roaelli, Giancanas boy from Chicago. He was later found in a barrel in Biscane  Bay in Miami.

I can see Handsome Johnny hiring the guys who did it but I can't see Johnny making that shot himself.

That damn CIA I love a good conspiracy theory.

Need to call him on JVR and Risto.

But they will need something bigger than a 55 gallon drum for Rasmus.

13 hours ago, CoachX said:

I'm curious, what have you seen him do, or heard reported, that makes you think this?

He frequently makes himself available to the press even after disappointing losses. In addition to that he embraces the tougher good neighbor in the community causes. Scott is outspoken and a strong ally for the LGBTQ community, in the world of pro athletes that's not an easy person to be.  He appears to be a popular guy on the bench and on the ice during warm-ups, he has some charisma to him.

I dont see him doing much of anything. He's one of numerous players the Flyers have had that fit this role.

I had a good chuckle at this, because you're right, there are a lot of guys that seem to just take their sticks for a skate.

I think a lot of what he does doesn't end up on the score sheet. He has some of the Oscar Lindblom "plays that enable the scoring play" in his game, whether it's pressuring a defensemen into making a bad pass or poking a puck to a teammate who then makes a pass to create a scoring chance. He is decent on faceoffs, he's no Giroux but he's had only 1 year under 50%.  He will double shift willingly when asked. He blocks shots, he plays PK.

He is not a star but he's a good hockey player. IMO the captain doesn't need to be the best player. The captain needs to back up what he says with his actions, Scott plays hard every shift and will cheer his teammates on for doing the same, that is a good standard from which to start. 

Gotta call bs here. He averages 1 fight per season.  Last time he fought twice in a season was 2018 (according to hockeyfights)

He is a hilarious chirper, he will go into scrums and he will hit a guy.

I've seen him come to the aid guys on his line frequently. 

He doesn't need to rack up 8 fights a year, that isn't his game.

He only needs to fight enough to know that the threat of a fight is there with him, I think he has done this.

I think in the role of captain, he may do it more if a situation calls for it. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The captain needs to back up what he says with his actions, Scott plays hard every shift and will cheer his teammates on for doing the same, that is a good standard from which to start. 

See one Jordan Staal never been a top line player but he is a great leader from the 3rd line in Carolina.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, icehole said:

TK is underwhelming. Provorov has dropped of. Hart is average.

If you would of "predicted" this 2 years ago you would of been laughed off this board.

SO much promise in those 3 players a couple years ago..... then they got "Flyer'd".....

My biggest gripe with this team is it seems to take perfectly good prospects and RUIN them! My god.... Those 3 players would probably be ALL-STARS if they had landed with a legit clubs like the Avs, Tampa, Fla,.... Heck, even Bos or the Caps probably! All teams with identity and purpose.

Face it.... this club has become purgatory for developing young players. Just sit and wait to get better....but I bet ya won't!

(And lets not forget Frost...and Ghost...and....)

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

9 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

My biggest gripe with this team is it seems to take perfectly good prospects and RUIN them! My god.... Those 3 players would probably be ALL-STARS if they had landed with a legit clubs like the Avs, Tampa, Fla,.... Heck, even Bos or the Caps probably! All teams with identity and purpose.

Face it.... this club has become purgatory for developing young players. Just sit and wait to get better....but I bet ya won't!

Konecny was an Allstar. Provorov sure looked like one at one time. Hart still just looks like he needs an NHL calibre team in front of him. Even Farabee has taken a bit of a step back, though he still looks good. 

I don't know wtf they're doing as far as development goes with this franchise, but it's dead wrong.

• Like 1

Ah... I did not remember TK making to the All-star game.

Good for him. I really liked him A LOT. I thought he would be our version of Marchandt....except Marchandt has figured out how to be annoying AND score.

TK waiting to take the next step....and probably will once he's traded. Ya know... Like SO many other ex-flyers have in the past....

(Anybody check in on Voracheck lately? He still a "thing?" :)

Edited by MaineFlyFan

Just pulled this from nhl.com Mailbag with Dan Rosen.

"If Claude Giroux wins the Stanley Cup, do you see him signing back with the Philadelphia Flyers? If he doesn't, could he test the market? What is his relationship like with Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher now after some rumored discourse in his departure from Philadelphia? --- @theashcity

This all depends on the conversations Giroux had with the Flyers, and especially Fletcher, before being traded to the Florida Panthers on Monday. You ask if the forward would sign with Philadelphia as a free agent in the offseason. My question is, do the Flyers want to, or was trading him the end of an era for an obvious franchise icon? The Flyers were focused on trading Giroux to his desired destination because he had control of the situation with a no-move clause. Now they have to figure out where they go from here, and if Giroux should be a part of that. The puck is essentially back in the Flyers' end of the ice. If they determine Giroux fits and want him back, they'll reach out to him. At that point, Giroux will have to decide what he wants. My guess is he'll want to test the market. And the status quo for the Flyers clearly cannot stay. They must retool. They have to build out a defense and style of play that can help goalie Carter Hart, who is too often hung out to dry. They need to figure out who is going to be their coach, after Mike Yeo replaced Alain Vigneault during the season. There are more decisions beyond that before they can even get around to free agents and the possibility of bringing back Giroux. "

Not much there, but at least it is the thoughts of someone outside this board and seemingly unbiased.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Ah... I did not remember TK making to the All-star game.

Good for him. I really liked him A LOT. I thought he would be our version of Marchandt....except Marchandt has figured out how to be annoying AND score.

TK waiting to take the next step....and probably will once he's traded. Ya know... Like SO many other ex-flyers have in the past....

(Anybody check in on Voracheck lately? He still a "thing?" :)

Well the good news is, Konecny is on about the same trajectory as Marchand, who also had a bit of a rollercoaster ride before becoming an elite player. Now it's just a matter of whether Fletchgren dumps him before he gets there. 

Voracek and Atkinson are basically interchangeable when it comes to points. But Atkinson is a better scorer and that's what we needed. Not that it got us anywhere. There's also the matter of an extra year on his contract, but I really don't think that's going to matter at this point considering where the franchise is. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He only needs to fight enough to know that the threat of a fight is there with him, I think he has done this.

You actually think people fear Scott Laughton? The same Scott Laughton that got flipped on his head in a center ice face off, and did nothing about it? And one...ONE, fight a season, is enough for him to send a message not to mess with him or his teammates? Weird that in an entire season, there was just one time he saw reason to respond like that. Maybe that's why I don't see anyone taking liberties with Flyer players. 🤣