Yandle to be scratched v. Tronno

radoran

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I would keep Thompson around to coach. 

He's been a solid face-off man.

Since G left and Couturier is out, the Flyers have been putrid on draws.

Thompson could be a development guy, has seen all facets of NHL life except a championship. Ups downs all of it.

I'd rather see Laczynski than him at this point in the season.

I don't think Nate is useless. 

Yeah he's fine as a coach, but right now it's a total waste for him to be playing over a young guy. Thompson might win a few extra key face offs or prevent a goal but I'd rather lose by 3 goals with a young player than lose by 2 goals with a fossil.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Nate Thompson was a good pickup. For the price he’s an asset.

I was ok sort of with the addition, any thing he does/signs with a waivable salary i won't complain to much about....that is why i wasn't overly upset trying the addition of him.

It's when you WON'T scratch and guy or push a guy down the lineup or even worse when it is obvious you're not helping the situation of climbing the standings, which is eventually the goal so you can compete for that shiny Cup....that is when i have a problem with him/it.

It is good to see him battle back but what he should more think about it hang them up.

Dude i dream of being able to think about retiring as 37 it must be retched but you know what it does come for us all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The Levee has finally broken. Thank God, he should not play another game this season and neither should Thompson.

I would rather them sign Kimmo Timonen RIGHT NOW than extend Keith Yandle another year.

:hockey-penalty-box-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:47 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow this seems kinda raw to me. I realize they want to play the AHL guys but there has to be a better way than borking Yandle's streak. God knows he doesn't belong in an NHL lineup but the Flyers signed him and in this lost season I think they should just let him play the remaining games.

I can't say this any better than this dude says it right here...

...i'm done with the guy time to move forward i don't care if he never plays again this year.

I'm done.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
this goes for everyone on this team
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

17 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Where are you seeing that he's sick?

I knew i seen this somewhere...

So not sure what is going on were they first scared to own sitting him and what to put this out there i don't know.

I don't care it is over with now we can move on his -39 is enough for me to say sit down easy on the butter but do not forget the salt. Always need a reliable popcorn guy for the sky box...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
as you see i like popcorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Sorry, but THIS is complete bs.  Absolutely hilarious.  Yandle has NEVER been a decent Dman during his NHL career.  NEVER.  He got his ice time because he used to be able to produce some points while on the ice and used to be somewhat capable of moving and passing the puck.  NEVER because of his defensive prowess.  He's always been a defensive liability during his career.  And there's simply no debate there.  He's no longer able to put up points, his passing ability is disgusting to watch, and he's one of the worst defensemen in the league this season, if not the worst.

Once again, there is no room for class when it comes to Yandle deserving ice time.  So just stop.  And there is ABSOLUTELY A POINT to scratching him.  In fact, he never should have been considered for a roster position by the fraud GM that is Chuck Fletcher.  And, even after the fraud made the mistake, the failure should have been realized after the first week of the stiff being on the ice for this team, and he should have been scratched then for good.  His "record" is a fraudulent one and his play has not deserved it.  There was competent, solid reasoning behind Florida buying him out.  And it's only another clear sign, among MANY, why Fletcher is not a competent NHL GM.

He's never had more than 53 hits in a season during his career.  And he has just 61 in the last 3 seasons.  His "record" is a joke and an absolute disgrace to the iron man tag.

lol such hate and vitriol? Did Yandle and your wife hook up or something? :)

I said used to be decent, not good. 

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He used to be a pretty good winger playing D. He was never good at defence. He was also never known for his physicality. I'm sure you could pull up a youtube video or two showing him throwing a hit...and I can pull up one of Zac Rinaldo scoring a nice goal.

The guy is done. He's a big part of the reason this team stinks. And having a GM who likes to pay guys for what they did somewhere else is why we'll never win a cup. This is how far this franchise has fallen...forget winning a cup. Forget the Hart trophy, or something that really matters. Lets win "old washed up guy who avoided contact for almost 1000 games, 90% of it for other teams" award. We can gloat about that until Fletch makes his next really bad long term signing. So probably a few months.

Lets see what the kids have...the games don't matter other than seeding. 

No argument he was well past it when we picked him up. Once again I never said he was "good". 

The point is we did have him on the roster and the season is a trainwreck so you let him get to 1000 games for him and more importantly for his team mates. If you saw the Hayes press conference you see a guy visibly upset by the decision. Yandle is a popular team mate. Management is just showing these guys they don't give a crap about them.  You could even dress him as a 4th line winger for those games. It really wouldn't matter, but a small 1000 game acknowledgement would be good for team morale.

and I know f Hayes and the rest of them they're all bums yadda yadda but they are the bums we got so I still say it's a classless move.

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

No argument he was well past it when we picked him up. Once again I never said he was "good". 

The point is we did have him on the roster and the season is a trainwreck so you let him get to 1000 games for him and more importantly for his team mates. If you saw the Hayes press conference you see a guy visibly upset by the decision. Yandle is a popular team mate. Management is just showing these guys they don't give a crap about them.  You could even dress him as a 4th line winger for those games. It really wouldn't matter, but a small 1000 game acknowledgement would be good for team morale.

and I know f Hayes and the rest of them they're all bums yadda yadda but they are the bums we got so I still say it's a classless move.

You're talking to the wrong guy if you think I'm going to feel bad for grossly overpaid Hayes making $7 million a year to play half-assed hockey because his washed up BFF, who should never have hit the record for Ironman streak in the first place because he was absolutely done as an NHL player doesn't get to extend it. The only reason he got that record is because our GM can't build a winner, so we Flyer fans get Yandle, who played 15 seasons for our opposition, to get a participation medal. Woohoo! 

Giroux got the "team morale" 1000 games. He actually did it for the Flyers. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I have a really hard time feeling sorry for Yandle here... If you've ever found yourself complaining about participation trophies, but want Yandle in the lineup just to protect his ironman streak, I just don't know what to say to you.

• Like 3

The (stupid and foolish) Flyers bought this broke down package last summer, they knew exactly who and what they were getting. The guy had just been bought out for chrissakes. But Fletcher signed him anyway. Granted no one is guaranteed ice time but a guy working an Ironman streak is a special case, no two ways about it. Whether he got to 989 thru great work or hiding in the cut he got there and the Flyers took on that streak when they signed him.

Obviously his play doesn’t merit ice time, hasn’t all year really, and if the Flyers we’re playing meaningful games this spring he’d be making the popcorn. But because there’s practically zero downside to playing him it just feels…a little raw to sit him now. Yes the Flyers need to see their younger guys play. But a few shifts for old, brokendown Yandle to include the final stretch of who-cares games won’t bury the prospects. 

I agree with much of the opposite side to the argument. In the bigger picture Yandle has no gripe whatsoever. But to bench him now, in this completely lost and wasted season looks too much like giant, public FU. It just feels wrong. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You're talking to the wrong guy if you think I'm going to feel bad for grossly overpaid Hayes making $7 million a year to play half-assed hockey because his washed up BFF, who should never have hit the record for Ironman streak in the first place because he was absolutely done as an NHL player doesn't get to extend it. The only reason he got that record is because our GM can't build a winner, so we Flyer fans get Yandle, who played 15 seasons for our opposition, to get a participation medal. Woohoo! 

Giroux got the "team morale" 1000 games. He actually did it for the Flyers. 

ya ya ya I know, they're all bums, I get it, and maybe they are, but that's not the point. 

maybe they aren't bleeding orange and black because the organization is a mess, the team's locker room is a mess, and the players just don't care any more because of that. 

You can get into a chicken and egg thing here but that's sort of a whole other topic and can maybe occupy the off season. 

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

ya ya ya I know, they're all bums, I get it, and maybe they are, but that's not the point. 

maybe they aren't bleeding orange and black because the organization is a mess, the team's locker room is a mess, and the players just don't care any more because of that. 

You can get into a chicken and egg thing here but that's sort of a whole other topic and can maybe occupy the off season. 

I'm not so sure that the locker room is a mess, that they haven't gelled, or any of those other things. Injuries aside, I concede to Al Arbour on these matters: "It's no secret, it’s not complicated. Get good players."

The Flyers need to get more of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm not so sure that the locker room is a mess, that they haven't gelled, or any of those other things. Injuries aside, I concede to Al Arbour on these matters: "It's no secret, it’s not complicated. Get good players."

The Flyers need to get more of them.

That's an old argument, but then you run into those things like Vegas at expansion, or how Buffalo is now better after subtracting their "talent" than they were before, and how players come here and their production drops off. So coaches are blamed, fired, and yet it gets worse so suddenly all the "talent" are crap and we need more "talent". History says otherwise. 

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I can honestly say I wasn't a fan of Hayes or Yandle before they became Flyers. Of course Hayes doesn't bleed O & B...he even said so "not signing with Philly unless they overpay me"....I mean who wouldn't build a team around THAT guy?!?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

They aren't held accountable by this joke of a front office and coaching staff.  They aren't demanded to be better.  While they still continue to collect their paychecks.  And on top of that, they are praised by this organization's pathetic propaganda system because this front office and coaching staff is afraid of these lazy players on this roster, what they can accomplish and who they can get fired.  Which a LARGE PORTION of the fan base buys into and believes, protecting and sticking up for this laziness.  The same morons that bought into the propaganda this organization spewed that firing a quality NHL head coach like Vigneault, when the team's main issue was the inability to score goals, is a smart decision.

Look I get it you think everyone is stupid, and all the players suck.

But;

The coach was fired.

The interim coach is just that. Interim- not permanent- not in consideration for the job going forward. 

If the GM fires the interim coach, during a lost season after firing the first guy?

Who is going to want to interview for the job next? Do you think a quality coach is going to sign up for that ********? 

As for accountability. 

Yeo has blasted the players to the faces, he has whipped their asses in practice, he has blown them up in the press when their effort has been poor. What else can he do as a temp hire?

There were so many injuries this season there were barely enough bodies to ice a team let alone scratch underperforming guys. 

Let's ice a team with 11 forwards or 5 defensemen to send a message?

This isn't a movie. 

The issues the team has aren't the kind that can be fixed quickly.

Maybe Fletcher isn't the right guy for the job, it is difficult to argue otherwise given how this season has gone.

I would have like to see what the team the Flyers started the season with could have done.

That will not happen. Now we all have to see what happens next.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

To be considered among the top 150 offensive dmen of the NHL takes 68 points.  Yandle did this ONCE in '10-11 and was only a +12.  And he put up 63 in '13-14 and was a -23.  He put up 50+ 3 years, and put up 40+ in 2 other seasons.  If you consider that as "always up there in points" in a 16 year NHL career, so be it.  But, I certainly don't.

And to even mention the Norris Trophy and Yandle in the same post is simply a disgrace to the Norris Trophy.  Since '80-81, there have been just FOUR defensemen with a minus +/- stat awarded the Norris.  Lidstrom -2 in 2010-'11, with 62 points.  Rob Blake -3 in '97-98, 50 points.  Rod Langway -2 in '82-83, 32 points.  And Randy Carlyle -16 in '80-81, because he had 83 points.  That's 42 years since the Norris was awarded to any defenseman with double digits in their +/- stat.  The Norris isn't just awarded to the "offensive defensemen".  It's awarded to defensemen who also aren't defensive liabilities to their teams.  Yandle is -99 in his career, btw...

Yandle got his ice time because he was able to produce points.  And he was NEVER given that ice time because of his defensive prowess.  Period.

You say all this as if plus minus is actually a thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

That's an old argument, but then you run into those things like Vegas at expansion, or how Buffalo is now better after subtracting their "talent" than they were before, and how players come here and their production drops off. So coaches are blamed, fired, and yet it gets worse so suddenly all the "talent" are crap and we need more "talent". History says otherwise. 

The Las Vegas expansion is a prime example of how a lot of people in hockey are terrible at judging talent.

• Like 1

Well hopefully Hayes is pissed and requests a trade...

FPYrDX9X0AUoSQo.thumb.png.6f92f44c36972333dcfa7409272ac429.png

Pack your bags Hayes maybe they can ship you to join one of your cousins around the NHL.

One is in Calgary and the other in Ottawa maybe they can work something out.. praying hard!

It's a nice pipe dream to think Hayes would pack his bags over this. I'm all for anything that gets rid of him but realistically I see no hope of it. He found his sucker in Fletcher, got his $50mil contract, what in the world would possess him to mess with that? Added to that there's only 1 sucker GM who was stupid enough to sign him to that outrageous contract. There won't be any calls inquiring about Kevin Hayes.

22 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It's a nice pipe dream to think Hayes would pack his bags over this. I'm all for anything that gets rid of him but realistically I see no hope of it. He found his sucker in Fletcher, got his $50mil contract, what in the world would possess him to mess with that? Added to that there's only 1 sucker GM who was stupid enough to sign him to that outrageous contract. There won't be any calls inquiring about Kevin Hayes.

Well i hold out hope that if you say picked up 2 mill per season of his salary maybe someone would take a chance on the guy.

Then he would only have 4 years left at 5.1 mill per season that isn't so terrible at todays numbers for a 50 point center right???

However, here are some other things we can say about the Yandle situation:

1. He has been terrible this year. -39 on the ice. Does the Ironman streak count if you are horrendous for a portion of it?
  2. The Flyers didn’t owe Yandle ****, and if it wasn’t for the record, he would have been benched a long time ago. The Philadelphia organ-eye-zation should actually be commended for allowing him to stay on the ice as long as they did.
  3. Playing Yandle up until this point ensures that Phil Kessel won’t catch him until next season. I’m not sure if that means anything in the grand scheme of things, since Kessel was likely going to eclipse him regardless, but if you’re into symbolic gestures, the Flyers at least created a situation where Yandle sits on top for a while.
  4. For the early part of the season, there wasn’t anybody worth scratching Yandle for. You want more Kevin Connauton? Ronnie Attard + Cam York wasn’t a thing back then.
  5. Do Flyers fans give a **** about Yandle being scratched, or is it the NHL community at large crying foul? It seems to be mostly the latter.
  6. The Flyers could have waived Yandle after he got the streak and it would have been justified. They did more than was required of them. Plus, dude was in his first year here. It’s not like Yandle was a long-tenured fan favorite. If they scratched Bill Barber in this fashion, then it’s a different story.