Ivan Fedotov

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Im a lot more optimistic of michkov coming over after he's already come over for interviews. And said he wants to play for Philly.

Of course Putin could put up an iron curtain tomorrow and nobody gets out. Or the oligarchs could say enough, and have Putin poisoned.

I think the guy is worth taking the risk.

Backup plan...

Nice.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think this post misses all the points. Which is surprising to me because I usually think you make great points even when I disagree 

I am having a hard time seeing this point of view.

Is it based in fear? Prejudice? Still smarting from the Patrick miss?

Leonard is a nice player. The Flyers have many nice players. Does he project to be better than Couturier? Provorov? Both #7 picks.  

There was no one left in the draft  capable of moving the talent needle the way Michkov can. 

The old way of looking at the draft wasn't working anymore.

I appreciated this new approach - That pick wasn't happening with Clarke and Homer...isn't a different approach what everyone has been begging for?

Trade you Charlie Stramel for Michkov…

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Charlie Stramel

Center -- shoots R
Born Oct 15 2004 -- St. Paul, MN

Fletchers gone and so is his Gopher State fetish.

But he still has a sexual perversion for actual gophers

(NTTAWWT)

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 2

I am perplexed by these Russian signings. As long as Putin is in charge and there is a war in Ukraine, I see a low probability of quality Russian players coming over. It's a form of retaliation against our economic sanctions.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am perplexed by these Russian signings. As long as Putin is in charge and there is a war in Ukraine, I see a low probability of quality Russian players coming over. It's a form of retaliation against our economic sanctions.  

I recognize that this venue is intended to be apolitical,  But it's impossible to take these signings and Michkov's drafting out of context. There's a point where prudent risk turns to foolhardy. I am glad we have non-Russian goal prospects. I suspect the Russians will use their good ones as pawns. 

55 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I recognize that this venue is intended to be apolitical,  But it's impossible to take these signings and Michkov's drafting out of context. There's a point where prudent risk turns to foolhardy. I am glad we have non-Russian goal prospects. I suspect the Russians will use their good ones as pawns. 

As the World Turns...

...on tomorrow's episode...

:PopcornSmiley2:

On 7/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, FD19372 said:

Yeah...we did or at least I did, anyway.

It was never a problem getting him on the ice in the NHL.

It was his melon.

I'm not disputing red flags, I'm saying the red flag warnings didn't turn out to be "the problem."

On 7/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, FD19372 said:

Once again, they act as if they're smarter than the 5...(no way the Hawks were drafting Michkov over Bedard, so I don't count them) teams that drafted other players. None were Russian, if I remember right. I hope the gamble pays off, but I'm very nervous.

I'm not not nervous. I just think the gamble is worth it given the nature of the player.

Honestly if you want to convince me that Arizona is smarter for taking the (Russian) defenseman over Michkov, have at it.

• Like 2

Rad and Colleagues:

I might separate a draft pick who might be out for several years from someone with a signed contract.  Perhaps the Flyers or other league officials have signaled the Russkies, like Ed Snider did during the Flyers-Russian matchup, that if you violate contracts there are consequences.  At some point, the NHL might tell teams to stop supporting work visas of current Russian players under contract, etc.  Meanwhile, an occasional swing for the fence is OK....but I have a feeling a former KGB agent/autocrat will make things rough for potential importers of Russian talent.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This is why I was and remain highly concerned about our pick at #7.  It's not necessarily an immediate issue--probably more like wait and see.   It's the waiting that's a killer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

This is why I was and remain highly concerned about our pick at #7.  It's not necessarily an immediate issue--probably more like wait and see.   It's the waiting that's a killer.

A guy of his skillset was worth the risk.

Dude is the Super star they need.

If he wouldn't have declined an interview with the Ducks they might have taken him.

I am good with them rolling the dice in this situation I don't think they get this close to the top pick again for a long time.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Not frying pan oops.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed 100%, and I suspect he fell to us because others felt the same.  But in three years, the mess may be over.  Meanwhile, the rule of law may not be working with current players.  That's a different gig.  I am unsure how "tolling" of contracts, per Fedotov, gets played out in roster slots, but I'd hate to lose a slot if the player is legally prohibited by the "export" country from fulfilling contract terms.  What Bleep Show.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am good with them rolling the dice in this situation I don't think they get this close to the top pick again for a long time.

Exactly. You take him knowing it may end up a wasted pick. But the reward is huge if he does make it over.

What I really like about him is that, unlike Fedotov, Michkov has made his intentions clear: he wants to play in North America and he wants to play for the Flyers.

edit: here’s Michkov when asked if he was concerned when he fell to No. 7.

"Not at all, because I really wanted to be drafted by the Flyers. That was my goal," he said. "To be with the Philadelphia Flyers is a dream."

Michkov is only 18. He’s signed for 3 more years with St. Petersburg. He said (can’t find the link but it’s out there) that he wants to get out of that contract ASAP. The risk is definitely worth it.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Michkov is only 18. He’s signed for 3 more years with St. Petersburg. He said (can’t find the link but it’s out there) that he wants to get out of that contract ASAP

I seen this too and him being a star it would cast a negative light on the KHL to keep their stars from fulfilling their dreams. It's why he will get his way.

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At the end of the day, the Flyers and the KHL will come to an agreement in which Fedotov goes back to CSKA and Michkov will be released from his contract one year early. 

Fedotov just signed a 2-year contract to play for CSKA Moscow. So that’s a done deal. I don’t think it was contingent on anything to do with Michkov but who knows what goes on behind the scenes - especially in Russia. 

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Fedotov just signed a 2-year contract to play for CSKA Moscow. So that’s a done deal. I don’t think it was contingent on anything to do with Michkov but who knows what goes on behind the scenes - especially in Russia. 

If I recall the timeline Fedotov signed before the draft. They didn't immediately register the contract and then did.

Of course, voiding Fedotov's deal essentially voids the deal protecting the KHL's rights to Michkov.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The KHL is going before the IIHF to rule on the legitimacy of the contract. I think the IIHF will call the NHL there and they'll strike a deal with the KHL to terminate Fedotov's NHL contract and they'll get a sweetener from the KHL. All parties want resolution on this matter. They'll make it work.

• 1 month later...

Jeeezzze will this ever end??

It they are being this big a pain in the ass about this guy what are they going to drum up for when Michkov wants to leave tax evasion or some sh it??

Flyers just let him go and they owe you one for the real Super Star.