Tortorella interviewed for Flyers coach

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ahh, yes.
And THAT was one of the things to watch for I mentioned before:
Will upper management let Torts do his job?

If so, culture WILL change. If not, it will be business as usual and the team won't have to fire Torts...he'll just walk out.

As for Columbus, their culture actually seems good.
Torts turned them from a soft, easy to play against team, to one with b56lls. One that took out a 62-win President's Trophy winner in a 4-game sweep.
Yes, he wore on them, and they needed him out afterwards, but Columbus isn't viewed as a pushover by anyone anymore...even with Torts gone.

Ya, sure, but what about....Ristolainen!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Risto is just the latest member of chuckles' legacy club. Praise, Suter,Hayes, Ellis, Risto. Most people get fired after 1 asinine move . Fletcher has made a career of it.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure what you mean here.

If Fonzi comes in and Risto continues to, uh, Risto? 

The player will want out. 

I would think you would like that. 

It could be maybe that Fonzi has the key to helping Risto to become the player people envision.

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think the big picture though, if you are gonna involve a coach like him, isn't so much how many more wins....at least in the short term.

It's more about culture change, attitude change, giving a bit more of a ^%$# change.
That's something the Flyers, IMO, need VERY badly.

And if he can weed out the undesirable clods from the team while he's at it, then double word score for your team!
He gets quite a bit out of his players if they are willing to work hard.
So even if the Flyers end up with later picks due to getting a few more wins, they will likely perform above their heads under him.

Torts is certainly a good coach, but I am not sure if his fiery coaching style will work with todays overly sensitive soy generation. He wears out his welcome real quick and we are not close to being contenders, so he would probably be fired before we even fully rebuild. I think Trotz is the kind of guy that is better suited for a young team and he can help develop our younger players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Torts is certainly a good coach, but I am not sure if his fiery coaching style will work with todays overly sensitive soy generation. He wears out his welcome real quick and we are not close to being contenders, so he would probably be fired before we even fully rebuild. I think Trotz is the kind of guy that is better suited for a young team and he can help develop our younger players.

You may be right.

Point is though, BOTH those coaches are the 'kick'em in the arse' types this organization apparently needs.
But none of it will matter unless the all knowing FO lets them do their jobs and furnishes them with the players to get it done.

Overly sensitive generation? Perhaps.
But then, that is the beauty of having a hard ass coach who knows what he is doing.... he weeds out the softies, floaters, prima donnas, and single ply paper type guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Not sure what you mean here.

I would think you would like that. 

It could be maybe that Fonzi has the key to helping Risto to become the player people envision.

I think Ristolainen was brought in to make the Flyers tougher to play against. Homer and Fletcher probably saw a couple of highlight reels of his big hits...never noticing how many of those he took himself completely out of the play.

Instead, he's made them easier to play against...just tougher on Hart. Ristolainen doesn't need someone to get him to play tough, he can do that himself. He needs someone to teach him to  play smart. 9 years into his NHL career, if he can't figure that out yet, good luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Homer and Fletcher probably saw a couple of highlight reels of his big hits...never noticing how many of those he took himself completely out of the play.

Kinda like Wile E. Coyote using overkill methods like a 5 ton boulder to try and catch a speedy, 10 pound road runner, eh? :bigteeth: 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You may be right.

Point is though, BOTH those coaches are the 'kick'em in the arse' types this organization apparently needs.
But none of it will matter unless the all knowing FO lets them do their jobs and furnishes them with the players to get it done.

Overly sensitive generation? Perhaps.
But then, that is the beauty of having a hard ass coach who knows what he is doing.... he weeds out the softies, floaters, prima donnas, and single ply paper type guys.

For sure the softies and slackers need to go, so let's start with JVR ,aka Private Pyle. I just like Trotz better, Torts is a nut job like Keenan. Trotz has a little more patience. 

• Like 1

The thing with Tortorella is that players love playing for him. Look at every place he's been and most players that have played for him have said nothing but good things about him.

Do I want to see him coach the Flyers? No. I think he's a coach who only coaches once way and he can't adapt his game plan accordingly. A good example of that is Patrick Laine. He tried to turn a 45 goal scorer into a two-way checker. That's a poor use of an asset. Put Laine with a good defensive player and let him m do his thing. He brings a skill set that no one else had. You could also say the same about Boone Jenner. A 30 goal scorer his first year in the league and rather than build off that. Tortorella choked the offensive game out of him. You don't handle goal scorers the way Tortorella has. And it's strange because Tortorella had Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis,  etc.... and they all scored plenty. It's like as the league moved to a more offensive game, Tortorella locked things down even further. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Then they will have to give up assets to get rid of him.

Anyway, in a struggle between Torts and a player like Ristolainen who is Fletcher’s chosen one, I think Fletcher/Ristolainen is going to win that one.

Edited by SCFlyguy

7 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Then they will have to give up assets to get rid of him.

I know all the armchair GMs on the internet have been "not in" on Ristolainen, but I've read in more than one place that he would have received a similar deal had he hit the open market. 

So maybe should he be moved, it's a hockey trade, or the Flyers receive value. 

The internet seems to be the main place where Ristolainen is viewed as bumbling ****-wad.

We all have eyes and see the screw ups. Many dismiss the times where he makes a good play because confirmation bias...

All this to say hockey people don't view him the same way we do.

The idea that should he want traded or the team wants to trade him, he will cost the Flyers is a popular Flyers twitter and internet forum idea not necessarily reality.

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know all the armchair GMs on the internet have been "not in" on Ristolainen, but I've read in more than one place that he would have received a similar deal had he hit the open market. 

The internet seems to be the main place where Ristolainen is viewed as bumbling ****-wad.

We all have eyes and see the screw ups. Many dismiss the times where he makes a good play because confirmation bias...

The idea that should he want traded or the team wants to trade him, he will cost the Flyers is a popular Flyers twitter and internet forum idea not necessarily reality.

God bless you for this, but the sample size is now over 500 GP as a pro. He's just not that good. He's a a career-175 adn apepars to be dumb as a post.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Don't buy into the Shill Meltzer ideology about Stinktolainen. I can't think of a single other team that was in on him. And don't buy the Schmuck Felcher ideology that it was a first, second a roster player for him either. No team in their right mind was going to give up that much for the worst number for defenseman in the game. Schmuck played the Holmgren game of bidding against himself to ensure he walked away with the player he wanted. Piss poor asset management at its finest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Don't buy into the Shill Meltzer ideology about Stinktolainen.

This may be the best sentence I've ever read here.

I was reading Charlie O'Connor, who actively hates Ristolainen. 

If he's saying the "open market, blah blah blah" about this player in particular, it carries far more weight than  ol' Shill Meltzer's bag wall of propaganda.

I will never not be able to see his by-line and not think of this name. It is truly a work of genius.

20 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

God bless you for this, but the sample size is now over 500 GP as a pro. He's just not that good. He's a a career-175 adn apepars to be dumb as a post.

I wanted the player traded at the deadline.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ristolainen really does feel like the type of defenseman that only a super deep team can hide amongst their ranks on a bottom pair somewhere where his 'warts' won't show too much.
Of course, that's NOT what you want out of a 5M+ type player...simply stating that he can be useful, but it would take a team that has pretty much everything covered already and just want a bowling ball out there once in a while to cause some havoc.

Unfortunately, Philadelphia isn't that team.

An example of what I am talking about, we can go to a trade between your Flyers and my Lightning...Gudas for Coburn.
On the Flyers, and previously with the Jets/Thrashers, Coburn was badly exposed.... on the Lightning because the Bolts have a very deep defensive core, they were able to "hide" him, give him simple, fool proof assignments, and he did well.........until cap issues forced the team to lose players, and Coburn's faults started to show again, and then the team was forced to move him.

Put Risto on a team that wouldn't be harmed too much by his cement headedness, give him basic assignments, DON'T expect him to cover top six Ferrari players, and he could do much better.
But again, the Flyers aren't that team and at this stage for them, they can't afford to 'hide him'.
He does more harm than good to them right now because he is forced to play a bigger role on the team.

If a team shows interest and offers even a decent prospect or a middling type pick for him, I'd take that deal and run giggling off into the night.

A new coach coming in would probably welcome new faces anyways, as opposed to the same ones who may have been part of the problem to begin with.

And to finish, all this said about Risto, and a coach like Trotz or Torts could come in...and Risto COULD fall right in line and surprise the crap out of everyone.
I could be wrong but both those coaches in the past, have taken raw knuckledraggers on defense and turned them into at least serviceable blueliners...provided the defenseman is open to a different approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ristolainen really does feel like the type of defenseman that only a super deep team can hide amongst their ranks on a bottom pair somewhere where his 'warts' won't show too much.
Of course, that's NOT what you want out of a 5M+ type player...simply stating that he can be useful, but it would take a team that has pretty much everything covered already and just want a bowling ball out there once in a while to cause some havoc.

Unfortunately, Philadelphia isn't that team.

An example of what I am talking about, we can go to a trade between your Flyers and my Lightning...Gudas for Coburn.
On the Flyers, and previously with the Jets/Thrashers, Coburn was badly exposed.... on the Lightning because the Bolts have a very deep defensive core, they were able to "hide" him, give him simple, fool proof assignments, and he did well.........until cap issues forced the team to lose players, and Coburn's faults started to show again, and then the team was forced to move him.

Put Risto on a team that wouldn't be harmed too much by his cement headedness, give him basic assignments, DON'T expect him to cover top six Ferrari players, and he could do much better.
But again, the Flyers aren't that team and at this stage for them, they can't afford to 'hide him'.
He does more harm than good to them right now because he is forced to play a bigger role on the team.

If a team shows interest and offers even a decent prospect or a middling type pick for him, I'd take that deal and run giggling off into the night.

A new coach coming in would probably welcome new faces anyways, as opposed to the same ones who may have been part of the problem to begin with.

And to finish, all this said about Risto, and a coach like Trotz or Torts could come in...and Risto COULD fall right in line and surprise the crap out of everyone.
I could be wrong but both those coaches in the past, have taken raw knuckledraggers on defense and turned them into at least serviceable blueliners...provided the defenseman is open to a different approach.

Hope springs eternal

• Haha 1

I think many Flyers fans can agree that Ristolanian was pretty damn awful last season and played extremely slow on defense. I just wonder if Torts becomes the head coach how he will play with Torts foot up his *** ? Will that just slow him down more or will that light a fire up his ***? 😆 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Otter said:

I just wonder if Torts becomes the head coach how he will play with Torts foot up his *** ? Will that just slow him down more or will that light a fire up his ***? 😆 

Risto's *** is not the body part mainly in need of intervention in my opinion. Go up, about 3 feet, and you will find the body part that is the problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1