TORT Claim

CoachX

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

Why do you think Tortorella wiil fail, and does he HAVE to deliver a cup for it to be a success?

I think he can succeed, but it's completely dependent on upper management buying in to the same world view he has. Take his brief time in Vancouver as an example. He clashed with the aging Sedins and they chose the Sedins over him. Never going to work that way. 

Torts is not an unpopular coach with most of his players. Those that buy in think he's great and those teams play like teams. But he is set on his ideas and he's unlikely to bend much on that so you have to give him the type of players he wants and get rid of the stiffs. It's a plan though, if everyone's on the same page. Given Flyer history, they will lack patience and it'll be a disaster. I am hoping however, that they have learned from their mistakes and will right the ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

There is talk that Briere is being groomed. 

Hextall was "groomed" by this bunch - and he spent two years cleaning up Homer's messes (remember Flyer legend Vinny Lecavalier?) and then was canned two years later because he wouldn't fire Hackstol.

I almost feel bad for Danny. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

I see the good and bad with Tortorella. He makes himself a target for hate. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it's not. His reputation precedes him and his timeline starts the moment he's hired. His abrasive personality also becomes grating and he's another coach that tries to fit players to his system and not for the system to his players. For instance, you don't try to turn a 40+ goal scorer like Laine into a checker and reduce their effectiveness. And it's odd because he's worked with a number of offensively gifted players and has allowed them to play their games, so I'll never understand his hang up with Laine. It's almost as if he targets players intentionally because he can. I'll never understand that. Mike Keenan did that and that was one of the reasons Bobby Clarke fired him back in the late 80s. 

Now, the good that Tortorella brings is that there will be structure and discipline. For some of the dogs in the lineup, this is going to be a wake up call.  No more resting on laurels and the expectation will be perform or not play. Guys aren't going to be gifted roles based on their contract. For me, if that means Kevin Hayes takes on a Keith Primeau style of role, I'm good with that. Don't gift the man the second line center because of his contract. And for far too long, that has happened. Roles matter with Tortorella as well and a fourth line player will be treated the same as a first line player. Each are accountable for providing something different, but they will be treated the same for the role they play. I might be in the minority, but I like that. The other thing I like is that Tortorella is vocal about management if he can't get what he needs to succeed. He could be the straw that breaks Fletcher's back and as others have pointed out, that would be fantastic. 

My worries though (and I've touched on this) is that the senior advisors are going to think Tortorella is the second coming if Fred Shero and if he doesn't win, they'll toss him under the bus in order to protect themselves. 

It's very polarizing anyway one looks at it. There's no middle ground with this move. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So chill and wait and see.

He wasn't Chuck's choice so that is a good sign for me already.

But feel free to join the whiners if you wish don't let me stop you.

Snarky much? Someone piss in your cheerios today? :readytofight:

No whining here. I like the Tortorella move. I like that they hired an outside agency to vet the applicants. I like that this wasn't Chucky's choice. I like what you said here....

Chill...Wait...See

sounds like a 2022-23 season slogan. It needs to be put on a shirt and you get all the credit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

As long as we're talking technology, I get a good laugh whenever I see anyone on the Flyers bench looking at their Ipads, and then going back on the ice and repeating the same lazy assed behavior

they're watching tik-tok

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hextall was "groomed" by this bunch - and he spent two years cleaning up Homer's messes (remember Flyer legend Vinny Lecavalier?) and then was canned two years later because he wouldn't fire Hackstol.

I almost feel bad for Danny. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

:PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4:

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And it's odd because he's worked with a number of offensively gifted players and has allowed them to play their games, so I'll never understand his hang up with Laine

its simple, Laine is a bigger dick than Torts....and a complete lazy ass

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Roles matter with Tortorella as well and a fourth line player will be treated the same as a first line player

Like Scott Laughton has for the past decdae? Oh, goody!

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Snarky much? Someone piss in your cheerios today? :readytofight:

No whining here. I like the Tortorella move. I like that they hired an outside agency to vet the applicants. I like that this wasn't Chucky's choice. I like what you said here....

Chill...Wait...See

sounds like a 2022-23 season slogan. It needs to be put on a shirt and you get all the credit

I've been hearing wait and see since Fletcher was brought in. I heard it when he signed Hayes. I heard it when he traded for Ristolainen. I heard it for every stupid trade he made and every dumb signing. No, it's not wait and see...it's Why? Cause that matches up with having Fletcher way better than wait and see. I can clearly see...the ship is sinking. 

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've been hearing wait and see since Fletcher was brought in. I heard it when he signed Hayes. I heard it when he traded for Ristolainen. I heard it for every stupid trade he made and every dumb signing. No, it's not wait and see...it's Why? Cause that matches up with having Fletcher way better than wait and see. I can clearly see...the ship is sinking. 

shhh, we are still in the waiting period. we are 2 years away from the "see" period

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Snarky much? Someone piss in your cheerios today?

Nope just tired of wading throught all the bullsh it here - but i have just the answer for it.

Stay away from here....................................enjoy. I get so tiresome this place has went down hill.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

its simple, Laine is a bigger dick than Torts....and a complete lazy ass

And Torts was better at Fortnite than him too...the main reason they didn't get along. #rumors

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nope just tired of wading throught all the bullsh it here - but i have just the answer for it.

Stay away from here....................................enjoy. I get so tiresome this place has went down hill.

Sorry, but something else went downhill to make this place go downhill. The franchise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Torts hire is official...4 yrs, $16 million.

I don't feel any better about it now that it's official.

If anyone needs me, I'll be somewhere puking.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

I heard a little tidbit of trivia today that stated since the Vegas Golden Knights have been in the league there are only 3 coaches that are the same as they were when the team started. That is Mike Sullivan of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jon Cooper of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and Jared Bednar of the Colorado Avalanche.  That is pretty crazy that since only 2017 all the other teams have changed coaches at least once.