New Series: Torts Doghouse

Samifan

Everybody cares when they get benched. Nobody is immune from being embarrassed and getting benched during the game is a huge public embarrassment. It’s a lot different than getting scratched before the game.

Farabee and Sanheim both sat the entire 2nd, one at one end of the bench the other at the other end and they both deserved it bc they were terrible in the 1st, just atrocious. When they got back on the ice in the 3rd they both played a lot better. The difference was like night and day.

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Everybody cares when they get benched. Nobody is immune from being embarrassed and getting benched during the game is a huge public embarrassment. It’s a lot different than getting scratched before the game.

Farabee and Sanheim both sat the entire 2nd, one at one end of the bench the other at the other end and they both deserved it bc they were terrible in the 1st, just atrocious. When they got back on the ice in the 3rd they both played a lot better. The difference was like night and day.

I agree with you 100% about caring. However, this has been going on for 5 and a half months with no noticeable change shift after shift, game after game. Same lackadasicle, disinterested effort from most of the roster, going back a decade. If you and I were right about caring we wouldn't be having this conversation.

10 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

However, this has been going on for 5 and a half months with no noticeable change shift after shift, game after game.

The idea that Sanheim is in game 64 under Tortorella and is still learning lessons after signing an EIGHT YEAR EXTENSION should really disqualify Fletcher.

Again.

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I do not fundamentally disagree with Torts' methods, I do however believe that public shaming with these modern day athletes does not work. They are getting paid regardless of minutes, and in the case of the hockey team formerly known as the Flyers, there is ZERO accountability at every single level of the organization, so it would be very difficult for a coach, any coach, let alone a neanderthal coach like Torts to expect the players to buy in to what he is trying to do. This is the very essence of what the cons at concast have created here, the culture that Clarke, Holmgren et al have embraced. Keith Allen, Fred Shero, Ed Snider and Clarke himself built a team that accountability to each other was at the very core of the success they had, and I think this is what most frustrates me over the past decade and then some. There appears to me to be zero leadership anywhere in the hockey ops, nobody setting the bar, and no expectation for anyone to do their job WELL, so if you are Sanheim or Farabee sitting on the bench on a hockey team going nowhere fast do you really care? I think both these players do care, they would not have worked to get where they are if they didn't, but the current situation has I'm sure sucked the passion from all their games, regardless of what Torts is selling. History tells them and tells us that the coach will be gone before any real consequences are incurred, and really all that Torts is doing is diminishing their value as a trade target for the rest of the GM's.

That's a great post. I know athletes get paid a crapload of money. So they should put forth an effort regardless their situation. But it's got to be frustrating playing for a bunch of idiots who haven't a clue what they're doing, when your goal is to win a cup. But Mr. Harvard grad keeps digging them a deeper and deeper hole.

45 minutes ago, radoran said:

The idea that Sanheim is in game 64 under Tortorella and is still learning lessons after signing an EIGHT YEAR EXTENSION should really disqualify Fletcher.

Again.

It's amazing the long list of fireable offences this clown has rang up.

• Like 1

I'm willing to give Farabee a pass because I'm more than convinced he's playing hurt. It won't surprise me if we hear at the end of the year he needs surgery. He hasn't looked good all season.

As for Sanheim, I'm not sure what to think. It looked like he was about to break out into a 45 to 50 point defenseman with elite skating ability. I'm wondering what Shaw is instructing him to do because he looks lost out there.

This is why the Flyers need a legitimate veteran presence on the blueline. It's too bad that we can't recapture the past and get a Timonen type because that's what's desperately missing - an on ice coach who can instructor these guys.

I'm not sure if anyone saw this, but if the Flyers are going to really embrace a true rebuild, you might want to read this:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2023/3/8/23630566/philadelphia-flyers-travis-konecny-nhl-trade-rumors-deadline-report

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It won't surprise me if we hear at the end of the year he needs surgery. He hasn't looked good all season.

In that case, why is he playing?

Edited by radoran

43 minutes ago, radoran said:

In that case, why is he playing?

How many times have we seen Flyers players play injured and end up with surgery at the end of the season? We'll hear "well things couldn't get any worse so it was ok for him to continue to play." Remember when Gagne broke his foot in the playoffs and they still played him, even though he had a metal roof sticking out of his foot? Or Danny Markov broke his foot and they just shot him up so he could continue to play? Or how about Couturier and his back and they continued to skate him even though his back wasn't right.

Obviously I'm not a medical person, but it's incident after incident after incident with this club with regards to injuries.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I agree with you 100% about caring. However, this has been going on for 5 and a half months with no noticeable change shift after shift, game after game. 

Sad to say this is only too true as it applies to Sanheim. Even more sad (and very unfortunate for the Flyers) is the point @radoranmade about his upcoming contract. Somebody, including Sanheim, better find a way to get him back on track. Otherwise his contract will end up hurting the Flyers even more than Hayes’ or Ristolsinen’s - as impossible as that sounds. He could end up as the worst of Fletcher’s fkups.

But I think Sanheim can still earn that contract. He’s got the game we’ve seen it. God only knows what it’ll take to get him playing it again…

7 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Same lackadasicle, disinterested effort from most of the roster, going back a decade.

I can only assume you haven’t watched the Flyers much this season because it’s just not like that this year. Aside from a handful of games they all give an honest effort every night, except for the two paycheck players Hayes, JVR of course. Honest effort is the most noticeable change from last year (and the decade prior, as you said).