Game 17: Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruins; 11/17/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are underdogs (+235).  Statistically, the Bruins excel in special teams play.  

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-bos/2022/11/17/2022020265

It looks like Hart versus Ullmark in goal.  We are 3-8 in our last 11 against the Bruins.  

Edited by Howie58

One would think they have virtually no chance, but the Bruins are perhaps ready for a let down game as they are rolling a little too comfortably right now and due for a took the opposition too lightly game. They do that, we get ahead, Hart plays great, you never know. 

But otherwise, no, Bruins look really really good and are deep and talented. More likely, a blow out. 

I just watched the highlights and post-game presser and analysis.  we were badly outclassed and beat ourselves. Ivan looked pretty brutal on the third goal.  Hart can only do so much.  We're really screwed if we lose Konecny.  

The Flyers simply lack the offensive talent to field anything even approaching the potent top line. On a nightly basis, the Flyers face the first line of the likes of Pasternak/Marchand, Aho/Necas/Svechnikov, Kucherov/Point/Stamkos, Crosby/Guenzel, Barkov/Tkachuk, Panarin/Zibanejad, etc... You get the picture... They are embarrassingly outmatched in the talent department. Fletcher and the rest of the front office betrayed this team and needs to be held accountable. 

48 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

They are embarrassingly outmatched in the talent department. Fletcher and the rest of the front office betrayed this team and needs to be held accountable. 

In fairness - and I am not here to defend them - they are missing Couturier and Atkinson.

That doesn't close the sizeable gap and isn't "competitive" with many of the lines you note, but it wouldn't be as bad.

Speaking of which, 20+ games seems an awful long time for a guy not to play while also not being on IR...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

15 hours ago, radoran said:

Speaking of which, 20+ games seems an awful long time for a guy not to play while also not being on IR...

Oh I have total confidence in Flyer management that he, Ellis and Tertyshny will all be back in the next game or two.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Mad Dog said:

Fletcher and the rest of the front office betrayed this team and needs to be held accountable. 

Can’t say it much better than that. Now with Tortorella they’ll probably find some success; as a team they’re already playing much better than last year. But after this year, if the successes materialize as I expect they will, that’s when I worry about Fletcher’s mitts the most. 

Tortorella talks about the “work in progress” aspect a lot. He sounds like his priority is weeding out the scrubs and the overpaid underachievers. As he accomplishes that I wonder if the front office will support him. It may mean some embarrassing moves….taking pennies on the dollar…

I’ve never been a fan of Tortorella but I like what he’s trying to do with the Flyers this year. His mindset seems to be “we’re starting over” even if no one else in management wants to or thinks they need to.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’ve never been a fan of Tortorella but I like what he’s trying to do with the Flyers this year. His mindset seems to be “we’re starting over” even if no one else in management wants to or thinks they need to.

It's running the same scenario as he had the CLS. Management wants to take next steps and he's saying they're taking first steps.

They play above expectations, never really get to the next level, and he's fired for not taking "the next steps".

I'll be happy to be wrong.

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

This is a mouthful right there.   Agree with every part of that.   1) Don't like him.  2) He's right and management is ridiculous.  

• Like 2