Game 45: Anaheim Ducks at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/17/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

It looks like the Flyers are favored (-180) with a predicted seven goals.  Both teams are coming off bad losses.  Based on Torts' post-Boston presser, the O and B will atone for their Beantown sins.   The teams aren't much different statistically, but at least the Flyers have a mid-range offense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/ana-vs-phi/2023/01/17/2022020705

It's possible we see our one-time prospect, Anthony Stolarz.  I have not seen our starter announced.  I suspect the O and B will be angry after being blown away.  

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ristolainen is like.....a compost pile. At first, he's just a steaming pile of shite. But after you let it fester and rot for awhile, it becomes something useful. 

Thanks for causing me to spill my hot coffee all over myself this morning laughing.

Maybe the best scouting report i have ever read. All questions answered makes sense why the acquired him to fulfill their vision.

Crazy we're in times where we sign him to an extension and want to trade Ivan...someone wake me from this nightmare...

:BrownBag:

• Like 2

Ristolainen's size alone makes him useful -if- he's in the right place. Before he got benched he never was, he was just awful in every way. Now he's in position most of the time on D. And he blocks shots, is active around the crease; he deserves credit for that. I read somewhere that the Flyers are #1 in blocked shots. Ristolainen is doing his part.

Still... if Hayes was Fletcher's worst move (and it was...so far...) Ristolainen is a close 2nd. But at least Tortorella is getting something out of them, Ristolalinen on D and All-Star Hayes chipping in points. And they'll both be around for the next ___seems like forever___ years... 😠 - yer doing a heckuva job Chuckie!

The chucktards vision of steaming toward mediocrity is being fulfilled. We are celebrating our #6 dman and a legit #3 center, all the while slipping down the draft board whilst being lit up by legitimate playoff teams. Lets Go Flyers. I honestly wish there was something here to look forward to, but right now there is not.

• Uggh... 1

28 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The chucktards vision of steaming toward mediocrity is being fulfilled. We are celebrating our #6 dman and a legit #3 center, all the while slipping down the draft board whilst being lit up by legitimate playoff teams. Lets Go Flyers. I honestly wish there was something here to look forward to, but right now there is not.

Ya, but that #6 dman and #3 centre are taking up 15% of the salary cap so we got that going for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Hiring Torts killed chances for a tank.  He draws a lot out of little--his years with CBJ solidified that rep.  I guess you can blame CF for that, despite being well intentioned.

4 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

We are celebrating our #6 dman and a legit #3 center,

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Before he got benched he never was, he was just awful in every way. Now he's in position most of the time on D. And he blocks shots, is active around the crease; he deserves credit for that. I read somewhere that the Flyers are #1 in blocked shots. Ristolainen is doing his part.

@flyer4ever

I would hardly call that post a celebration. If we're including "faint praise", well, okay then.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Hiring Torts killed chances for a tank.  He draws a lot out of little--his years with CBJ solidified that rep.  I guess you can blame CF for that, despite being well intentioned.

Except by all accounts Fletch didn't make the head coach pick.

You know, like a GM does.

Talk about not being on the same page, they may be reading different books...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So,  Hayes-y with a Hattie.

And no Provorov? 

I saw he registered a SOG.

Did he get hurt?

Provorov doesn't survive the trade deadline as a Flyer. Write that down 

I'm just sad that it will be Fletcher that does it because it will be Provorov and a 3rd for Giordano. He had to throw in the 3rd because no one was interested in Giordano he's never lost a trade to No One. Only to Everyone.

• Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Provorov doesn't survive the trade deadline as a Flyer. Write that down 

I'm just sad that it will be Fletcher that does it because it will be Provorov and a 3rd for Giordano. He had to throw in the 3rd because no one was interested in Giordano he's never lost a trade to No One. Only to Everyone.

The thought of Fletcher driving this trade deadline makes my belly hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Anaheim: $43M in cap space next season

Flyers: $8M

Anaheim: legit top 3 pick contenders

Flyers: making a case for 9/10

Thoughts on who's on a better position to "turn things around"?

Quack quack Mr Chucktard, quack quack.

• Good Post 1

Wow so Ersson is 5-0. Damn how do you send this kid down and bring Sandstrom back up because Felix was down for a stint to get back into playing form.

Well is it possible they do carry 3 goalies??? Because i am sure someone will pluck Felix for free if he is subject to waivers ie the Sabres if they try to waive him again.

• Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so Ersson is 5-0. Damn how do you send this kid down and bring Sandstrom back up because Felix was down for a stint to get back into playing form.

Well is it possible they do carry 3 goalies??? Because i am sure someone will pluck Felix for free if he is subject to waivers ie the Sabres if they try to waive him again.

I agree with you on Ersson.  Jeepers, I remember when the O and B suited up 8 goalies:

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-8-goalies-2018-19/#:~:text=The Philadelphia Flyers set a dubious and embarrassing,sixth-place finish (37-37-8 record) in the Metropolitan Division.

So, now we have what could be a darn good duo and possible sub and might lose one.  It is a "good" space in terms of development.  I wonder if CF tries to trade Sandstrom for another prospect?  

Howie

• Like 1

Just now, Howie58 said:

So, now we have what could be a darn good duo and possible sub and might lose one.

I admit it is a good problem to have but Chuck scares me of any trades he may try to pull off.

As had many have said he will look at this as a chance to make the playoffs and will in turn try to add for a shot for the playoffs instead of purging players for picks/prospects.

Felix is a UFA at seasons end and should be move regardless by the deadline hopefully for a 3rd or a prospect which should be reasonable since he was a 3rd rounder himself.

But the Flyers need to be a team removing players/contracts and not adding them unless they are young and for the future moving forward.

As i said very nervous of what they will let Chuck do before he is fired...

• Like 1