Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can you imagine what Chuck would do wirh 13 million in cap space at the start of the year?

With Dave Scott screaming SPEND TO THE CAP!!!!!

The good thing about Dan Hilferty is that he knows what he doesn't know.

Scott actually thought "spending to the cap" each year meant you had quality.

Except that the approach rarely works and on top of that he had the wrong guy buying.

I see Briere as waiting for the right time to strike to come and wanting to have the resources available when it does.

Next year doesn't matter. They've NEVER said that before.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

I see Briere as waiting for the right time to strike to come and wanting to have the resources available when it does.

Yes and I expect him to want to have the space come the deadline to be able to weaponize as much salary cap space as he can to be able to accept bad contracts for picks and prospect for the following draft and season.

Change feels so good. I'm excited to be a Flyer fan again even though they are 3 years away. This just feels different and with a Super star already in the fold.

Future feels bright not bleak...

• Like 2

Keep reading how peeps are mad that some/all of TK, Sanheim, Hart, Laughton will be on the team next season...just a reminder for that crowd...

Life and hockey arent like video games.  You cant trade everything of value and keep playing a line-up of TBA.  The result is the Coyotes, Sabres, or Senators who have taken extremely long rebuilds because they lacked structure.  Some of those guys, like Laughton, are more valuable to keep around than they are traded (for a late 1st and late 2nd) for a player(s) that might not even crack the lineup (think Rubstov, Sbisa, Morin, Patrick, O'brien).  A mid-late 1st rounder is not the equivalent of an established solid (to great) 3C whose a great lockerroom presence on a cost-controlled contract.

Also, why so many peeps disgruntled w Torts?  Far from perfect but seems okay to me

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This man gets it.

Can you imagine what Chuck would do wirh 13 million in cap space at the start of the year?

Exactly. And I don't even mind spending to the cap if theres a plan....say for example, ok, we're going to suck for a few years, but I can pick up a couple of dependable dmen on 1 or 2 year contracts that I can flip at the deadline for more draft capital, that's a reason to spend. 

Blowing money on useless plugs the next GM just has to work his arse off to get rid of is NOT a plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Change feels so good. I'm excited to be a Flyer fan again even though they are 3 years away. This just feels different and with a Super star already in the fold.

Future feels bright not bleak...

RIGHT....3 years away is SO much better than 3 years away from 3 years away. 😄

:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

16 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

RIGHT....3 years away is SO much better than 3 years away from 3 years away. 😄

:cheers:

So you know exactly WTF i'm talking about...

...can i get an AMEN!!!!!!!

• Like 1

The team may be better than most think in 2 years time, too.  A lot of potential w Foerester for next season in addition to growth and chemistry between Frost, Tippet, TK, SL, Farabee, and Cates.  Sanheim might bounce back and be solid and maybe York becomes a steady top pair LD.  Add in Gauthier (1+ year away) and Michkov (3+ years away) and the parts start to come together.  And there's a chance Michkov makes it to Phila in less than 3 years although much remains to be seen there.

Hart has healthy competition w Errson, Sandstrom, and Fedotov.  I think the greatest need over next 2-3 drafts is a legit 1C as Couts may never play again at all and, if he does, dont expect the Selke version.

23 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

The team may be better than most think in 2 years time, too

In two years' time they should be in a path to competitiveness and looking for what UFAs can help them on their way.

Not to take "the best available UFA" but the RIGHT UFA when available. I don't know who that is 3 years from now but I hope the Flyers do.

• Like 1

Well, as far as the draft goes I give Danny a solid A. 

Hayes is gone. 

Michkov is coming (eventually)

DeAngelo is leaving (eventually)

We gained some solid prospects. 

It's a good solid start. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, hmc687 said:

A mid-late 1st rounder is not the equivalent of an established solid (to great) 3C whose a great lockerroom presence on a cost-controlled contract

OMG! There is a pool of kool-aid and someone is swimming in it?

Great? Seriously? 🤮

17 hours ago, radoran said:

With Dave Scott screaming SPEND TO THE CAP!!!!!

The good thing about Dan Hilferty is that he knows what he doesn't know.

Scott actually thought "spending to the cap" each year meant you had quality.

Except that the approach rarely works and on top of that he had the wrong guy buying.

Next year doesn't matter. They've NEVER said that before.

Just look at Chicago with the Bailey trade. The NYI traded him to the Hawks for a 2nd. They immediately bought him out, essentially "buying" a 2nd rd pick for 5 mill. THAT is what excess cap space can do when rebuilding!

Comcast has the deepest pockets in the league, they should be "buying" picks as often as possible. At least we have a GM who is smart enough to implement this kind of essential stuff. Weaponizing cap space is not new, but you gotta have the brains and patience to utter the words rebuild and back it up with cash. Seems like we have both of those now!

• Like 1

This weaponizing cap space really is becoming a trend in the possibilities of a faster rebuild. 
And with so many teams up against the cap and the cap disappearing for the playoffs it can really be used to rebuild in 3 years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

This weaponizing cap space really is becoming a trend in the possibilities of a faster rebuild. 
And with so many teams up against the cap and the cap disappearing for the playoffs it can really be used to rebuild in 3 years. 

Agreed. You're always gonna have contenders going for it, spending be damned. There will always be teams like Ottawa who is want to take that next step and make the playoffs.

Arizona, Chicago and Detroit will be our main competition for the rebuild, hopefully more teams get in the cap crunch and Detroit eventually graduates before we are ready to contend. 

Perhaps Danny always keeps 5 mill on hand to take advantage of trades that can help. In this modern day NHL, prudent will turn into assets 100%. 

12 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well, as far as the draft goes I give Danny a solid A. 

Hayes is gone. 

Michkov is coming (eventually)

DeAngelo is leaving (eventually)

We gained some solid prospects. 

It's a good solid start. 

I would expect Danny once all the dust settles and before camp/preseason maybe to sign a vet forward or defenseman to a short deal or a PTO for a short deal that maybe he can flip by the deadline next season.

But i guess we need to see him finish sorting the roster as it is now.

I can see a lineup like this for the start of the season.

Sanhiem - Risto

York - Attard

Zamula - Walker

Seeler

With Nashville buy out of Duchesne an hour ago....they become the 4th team to go under the cap floor. They join the Wings, Arizona and the Ducks ie our main competition. The Wings are so far under they can sign Debrincat and still barely reach the floor. They only have Veleno and one other crap player to sign. In fact, the Wings could afford to take on Yamamoto AND Klostin, only to buy out Yammer. I guess they targeted Klostin for upside and could afford the expenditures. 

Comcast WAY richer than the Illitches. Something to think about! 

Edited by jammer2

16 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Nashville buy out of Duchesne an hour ago....they become the 4th team to go under the cap floor.

Nashville is opening up space for Konecny and Sanheim...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would expect Danny once all the dust settles and before camp/preseason maybe to sign a vet forward or defenseman to a short deal or a PTO for a short deal that maybe he can flip by the deadline next season.

But i guess we need to see him finish sorting the roster as it is now.

I can see a lineup like this for the start of the season.

Sanhiem - Risto

York - Attard

Zamula - Walker

Seeler

There's a ton of FA jags that will be floating around after tomorrow. I too expect we add a few mediocre stiffs for short terms. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I too expect we add a few mediocre stiffs for short terms. 

Some competetion for Forester, Desnoyers, Brinks and Lycksells down on the farm i don't want to just hand a kid a job but i also don't want to block him DUE to a contract i don't feel comfortable waiving if need be....like Anisimov last year with the Phantoms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

like Anisimov last year with the Phantoms

I hope the plan is to welcome that guy into the player development team when he retires if he hasn't already.

It will be helpful to have another Russian speaker around for Matvei when he comes to North America.

I imagine he's going to work on learning some English but having a person to speak a native tongue with can be a comfort. 

Everything I've heard about Anisimov has been that he's been a great mentor in LHV.

• Like 2