Food for Thought: Why Drafting Matvei Michkov is not a bad idea

pilldoc

From another excellent article from Charlie O'Connor .....

To be clear, this is not saying that the Philadelphia Flyers will absolutely draft Matvei Michkov if he is still on the board at No. 7 next Wednesday. Only general manager Daniel Briere and a few other members of the front office know that — and perhaps they’re not even sure quite yet.

But on Thursday morning, when Briere and assistant GM Brent Flahr spoke to the local media to discuss the 2023 NHL Draft, they sure sounded like they were speaking on behalf of a destination that makes a significant amount of sense as a Michkov landing spot.

“We’re trying to get as much information, and we’ll spend a little bit of time with him (in Nashville), and we’ll try to get as much information as we can and make our decision after that,” Briere said.

Michkov is near-universally regarded as a top-five talent in the draft. If he was living and playing in North America right now, there would be little chance he could slip to the No. 7 pick. But Michkov isn’t from North America. He is from and plays in Russia, and is signed to a KHL contract that lasts for three more seasons.

The Flyers, Briere confirmed, expect to be able to meet with Michkov in person in Nashville in the days leading up to the draft. Briere and Flahr both said they already have lots of information on the 5-foot-10 winger even though people at the top of the organization weren’t able to meet with or scout Michkov in person this season. Flyers scout Ken Hoodikoff is based in Russia with the ability to provide on-the-ground insights and observations regarding Michkov. And the organization as a whole has more than done its due diligence otherwise.

“We do talk to players on his team, we’ve talked to coaches – our staff have talked to – so we’ve done a lot of our background, and we’ll spend time with him and his family, and get a comfort level and then make a decision appropriately,” Flahr said.

In other words, the Flyers appear to be motivated to fully explore the Michkov possibility over the next week before making their final call — which would be a waste of valuable time if they have already ruled out the idea of selecting him.

Depending upon where we’re at. Well, the Flyers have made it abundantly clear over the past few months that where they’re at is in full-fledged rebuild mode. In other words, they’re not trying to contend over the next few seasons — which would make it significantly easier to justify taking a player who likely won’t make the jump to the NHL until 2026-27 at the earliest.

“We want the best player three, four years down the road,” Flahr said. “It’s not a rush as far as who’s going to be playing first. There’s a lot of guys that will play sooner, but who is going to become the best NHL player is our focus.”

And while there have been significant front office changes made over the past year, the man in charge of doing the bulk of the legwork for those drafts — Flahr — is still in his position as the primary draft architect. So does the pivot toward bigger swings remain?

“In some cases, yeah,” Flahr acknowledged. “I think there’s certain players where it depends what the risk is. If the risk is character and lack of drive or lack of compete, that’s a big risk for me, and those are risks that tend to work against you down the road even if they do play. But the risk, if it’s just a player needs to get stronger, or there are skating issues that our staff feel like can be addressed, or whatever the issue is, that’s a thing that we can help with and fix, then we’re willing to take those swings if we think the ceiling is that much higher for a particular player.”

Which opens the door for the most likely reason why the Flyers might pass on Michkov: character concerns.

The Flyers have long been an organization that values character in their draft picks; both Flahr and Briere confirmed that remains an organizational tenet Thursday. And there are those in the industry who wonder about Michkov’s character.

From Corey Pronman’s article on June 20:

Among some evaluators I’ve spoken with, there is a personality question with Michkov too. It’s not a universal opinion in the industry, though. Based on the little in-person interaction I’ve had with Michkov, he was not exactly the most charming individual in the world and was a bit standoffish. I think he rubs people the wrong way, is a little arrogant, and may not be the most likeable personality in the world, but I also think that’s sometimes part of the process of being told you’re the next big thing since you were 12 years old. Jack Hughes rubbed people the wrong way too at times as a draft-eligible and safe to say he’s turned out OK. With personality issues, I look for the smoking gun. Is there a major incident I need to be aware of? Does it manifest itself constantly on-ice? I don’t think it rises to that level with Michkov. None of the team personnel I know who have interviewed Michkov via Zoom have come away saying there’s a major problem either.

Would concerns about arrogance and his ability to fit seamlessly into an NHL locker room be enough to push the Flyers to pass? Perhaps a lot will come down to that planned in-person interview in Nashville after all.

“Hockey sense is an important (characteristic) for us, character is an important one,” Briere added.

And it’s worth noting that Michkov’s hockey sense tends to be graded as off-the-charts. In early June, Pronman ranked Michkov No. 1 in the entire draft when it came to that particular trait — even higher than sure-to-be No. 1 pick Connor Bedard. He’s not alone in that assessment among talent evaluators. If hockey sense is indeed one of the Flyers’ most highly desired traits in prospects, it’s not difficult to imagine them falling in love with Michkov as a player — possibly enough to outweigh any character concerns or location-based risks.

Perhaps none of this will matter in the end; maybe Michkov will be gone by the time the Flyers select at No. 7. Montreal could be purposely sending up a smokescreen at No. 5 regarding their supposed lack of interest in Michkov so they can nab him with ease; maybe another club gets aggressive and trades up to jump the Flyers at No. 5 or 6.

==============================================

Just some food for thought as we all are getting ready for the draft next week.  We all have our opinions on this topic ...some are for Michkov and some are against.  It all becomes moot if he is take at #3 through #6.  If he is there when the Flyers are on the clock ....it will most certainly be interesting to as what the new Flyers brain trust will do .......

Now is the time for Flyers to take gamble on Matvei Michkov

The Flyers could be in position to add an elite scorer in this year's draft, and they need to take advantage of the opportunity.

•  

The 2023 NHL Entry Draft class is considered one of the deepest groups of prospects to enter the NHL in years, and it's not hard to see why.

Connor Bedard, the headliner of the 2023 class, is regarded as arguably the top draft-eligible prospect since Connor McDavid. The 17-year-old has done it all — he's the first player in Western Hockey League history to be granted exceptional status, he ranks fourth all-time in points scored at a single U20 World Junior Championship (23 in just seven games), and he's coming off one of the best seasons in junior hockey history with 71 goals and 143 points in 57 games.

Bedard, while clearly the crown jewel of the class, isn't the only future superstar expected to come out of this year's draft. Adam Fantilli, who is likely to be selected No. 2 overall, is coming off an exceptional year of his own.

Fantilli, 18, logged 30 goals and 65 points in 36 games at the University of Michigan as a freshman and was given the Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA's top player in men's hockey.

He also helped Canada win gold at the World Championship in May.

But as good as Bedard and Fantilli will be as NHLers, neither have captured the intrigue of hockey fans around the globe quite like Matvei Michkov has.

Michkov, a native of Perm, Russia, is one of the most fascinating draft prospects in recent memory. At just 16 years old, he broke Alex Ovechkin's record as the youngest player ever to suit up for Russia's men's national team. And now, at 18 years old, he's coming off a 20-point campaign in 27 games while on loan with HC Sochi of the Kontinental Hockey League, which many consider the top hockey league in the world outside of North America.

Under normal circumstances, Michkov would probably be in the running to go No. 2 overall in this loaded draft class. But given the geopolitical climate in Russia, on top of the fact that he is under contract with SKA St. Petersburg through 2026, many teams are unconvinced Michkov would be worth the gamble so early in the draft.

The Flyers, after three straight seasons of missing the playoffs, are finally embracing a much-needed rebuild. New Flyers general manager Danny Briere has made it clear since his hiring that his club, in it's current form, is not a quick fix, and that it could be multiple years before a return to the playoffs is even realistic.

During the 2020-21 season while playing in the MHL (Russia's top junior hockey league), Michkov posted 38 goals and 56 points in 56 games, breaking Nikita Kucherov's record for most points scored by a 16-year-old in MHL history.

Michkov's track record is beyond impressive. But is it impressive enough to entice the Flyers to take a gamble on him with their No. 7 overall selection?

On Thursday, Briere and Flyers assistant general manager Brent Flahr met with the media ahead of Wednesday's draft, and Flahr divulged that the Flyers have done their fair share of homework in regard to Michkov specifically.

"We do a lot of background. We do talk to players on his team, we've talked to coaches — or our staff have talked to — so we've done a lot of our background and we'll spend time with him and his family and get a comfort level and then make a decision appropriately."

The more draft capital the Flyers accumulate, the more opportunities they'll have to take a gamble on a prospect like Michkov, who has the potential to become a game-changing player in the NHL.

Fedotov, following a stellar 2021-22 season in the KHL and a spectacular performance at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, was expected to come to North America ahead of the 2022-23 season and compete for a roster spot as the Flyers' backup goalie behind Carter Hart.

But soon after signing his entry-level contract with the Flyers, he was arrested in St. Petersburg for allegedly evading military service and reportedly was stationed at a military base in Severomorsk.

Still, as frightening as the Fedotov situation has been, many Russian players have had much different experiences crossing the pond over the last year. For example, Andrei Kuzmenko of the Vancouver Canucks successfully came to North America last season after several productive years playing for SKA St. Petersburg. He went on to put together a 39-goal, 74-point season with the Canucks.

The Flyers, however, do not seem to be one of those teams. In fact, Flahr is preaching patience with the young players currently in the pipeline.

Maybe 2026 wouldn't be too long a wait after all.

"We want the best player three, four years down the road," Flahr told the media Thursday. "It's not a rush as far as who's gonna be playing first. There's a lot of guys who will play sooner, but who's gonna become the best NHL player is our focus."

"It's about the development of the player. I'm not worried if it's three, four, five years down the road that they become the best they can be. I'm not worried about next year or the year after."

Michkov's talent is no secret.

As one of the most talked-about prospects in this year's draft class, it's feasible (and even somewhat likely) that a team ahead of the Flyers could nab Michkov and watch him blossom into a 50-goal scorer one day. Bedard is going No. 1, and Fantilli will go No. 2. Beyond that, anything can happen.

At the time of this writing, the Flyers own 10 selections in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. It wouldn't be remotely surprising if they add to that total in the coming days.

If the board falls just right, the Flyers could have the chance to swing for the fences. After years of striking out looking, it's time to swing away.

my friend's polish father told me his even more polish uncle told him, "Never trust a goddamn Russian." so that's where I stand until proven the Flyers can work with/develop a Russian player to his max potential (bob probably would have worked out here but we obviously traded him for a crazier Russian).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Would you flyer fans really be happy in waiting 3 years ?

I know I am in the minority here, but if he is available at #7 and the Flyers drafted him, I would not be upset.

IMO, I don't think he makes it to #7 and therefore it would become a moot point.

• Like 2

This kid Michkov, has tremendous potential, and would be a good scorer for years, for the Flyers. That being said, I'm not taking a Russian player, with the 7th pick. Not in this world's current political climate. Too many unknowns, and the main one being..will he ever suit up for the Flyers? Will he EVER be allowed to leave Russia? I want the 7th pick, to be about a sure a thing as possible. This franchise cannot and should not, accept anything less.

Having the #22 and maybe hopefully one more 1st round before the draft would make me more inclined to take a huge swing on Michkov if he is there...we are talking arguably about the 2nd best player in the draft sliding to 7th - yeah take the swing!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Having the #22 and maybe hopefully one more 1st round before the draft would make me more inclined to take a huge swing on Michkov if he is there...we are talking arguably about the 2nd best player in the draft sliding to 7th - yeah take the swing!!!

I see Michkov as a luxury pick. Yeah, his upside is IMMENSE, but so is the risk. No thanks. If the Flyers were a franchise that had better luck with gambles, I'd say yes. See Nolan Patrick..although in that case, it was due to already known about physical issues, not political. Great upside or not, Michkov isn't worth the gamble.

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I see Michkov as a luxury pick. Yeah, his upside is IMMENSE, but so is the risk. No thanks.

I get it and understand and the Flyers don't have time to waste.

And after the crap with Vorobyev and Fedotov it get it - you can't waste the 7th overall pick.

• Like 1

This is interesting.  I would love to get this guy.

https://twitter.com/FlyersNation/status/1673391386698063883

Edit.  My hope is he would fall to pick #7.  I might be willing to trade one more pick to move up but not get cleaned out of the 1st round.

Edited by TimKerrFan12
  • Uggh... 1

We have had zero luck with Russian players throughout our history. Other than Ovechkin , Fedorov Bure and a few others ,the majority of Russian players have been highly skilled ,inconsistent,  underachievers. All the skill in the world but inconsistent results. Considering how bad we are, how many picks we traded away and  the first round failures of Morin, Rubstov, Patrick and O Brien and also the dissappointing Soyheim and Provorov we cannot afford to gamble , we need a sure thing.

29 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Obviously there are really no sure things in a draft.  I actually trust what Jones and Briere decide.   With the Flyers history of mismanagement,  I am sure they will be very careful with the moves they 

We want a guy who won't be in Russia for 3 more years. We have to put all the odds in our favor as much as possible considering our past failures.  We took a shot with an injured softie Patrick and a longshot OBrian and failed miserably. When you have deep team you can swing for the fences. Hextall was in no position to gamble and neither is Briere.

• Like 1

@RonJeremy

This team is going to blow this year and maybe the next.

Who gives a **** if the guy is in Russia? so long as he shows up here when he is able and scores ZOMG goals. 

The best Russian prospect since Ovechkin.

He's worked out pretty good. No?

There are guys at #7 that would be Flyers type picks, Leonard= Laughton with more skill/better skating (maybe). A good guy to have, but he's not moving the needle much in terms of raising the talent level.

Michkov would immediately be the most skilled player in the system. The team doesn't need more "guys" they need "the guy" Michkov could be that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@RonJeremy

This team is going to blow this year and maybe the next.

Who gives a **** if the guy is in Russia? so long as he shows up here when he is able and scores ZOMG goals. 

The best Russian prospect since Ovechkin.

He's worked out pretty good. No?

There are guys at #7 that would be Flyers type picks, Leonard= Laughton with more skill/better skating (maybe). A good guy to have, but he's not moving the needle much in terms of raising the talent level.

Michkov would immediately be the most skilled player in the system. The team doesn't need more "guys" they need "the guy" Michkov could be that. 

I think all the worry is for naught....he ain't getting past the Sharks are 4...they need a Super star and well he will fall into their laps.

12 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Yeah,  who really wants an Ovechkin for the next 20 years.  lol

He nothing like Ovechkin except he's from Russia. Remember Lafrenierre was called the best prospect since McDavid? If we get another first round pick,.then maybe you take a shot ,since you have two more picks. If someone like Will Smith falls then you gotta go with him. I've seen so many Russians with incredible skill like Kovalev and many others for example, who don't show up for huge stretches, that's actually how most of them are. The exceptions being , Ovechkin, Bure, Konstantinov and Federov. The rest were highly skilled inconsistent floaters, JVR with high end skill.

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I've seen so many Russians with incredible skill like Kovalev and many others for example, who don't show up for huge stretches, that's actually how most of them are. 

that Nail guy comes to mind.  So insignificant I don’t remember his last name.  He was a complete bust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Doesn't really matter as he is not making it past #4 when the sharks draft him lol

It's what i said why would Grier wait for a better star???

Nope he going to San Jose.