2023 Free Agency

Looks like Tampa Bay has upgraded their 4th line.

Replacing Pierre Edouard Bellemare and Corey Perry are Luke Glendening and Conor Sheary respectively.

Younger versions of those players, Glendening seems to be more physical and a higher FO%...while Sheary isn't as physical as Perry (and likely isn't as big an a-hole either), he does shoot the puck more and seems to have a bit more offensive instincts at this point of he and Perry's careers.

Glendening is playing for 800K AAV...Sheary for 1.2M AAV.
Not bad.
Bolts needed a bit more mobility and a super FO guy on the bottom six.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

No more Alex Killorn in Tampa Bay.
I thought he and the team could work something out, maybe Killer takes a hometown discount to play for a winner.

Instead, he took 6.25M AAV for 4 years with the rebuilding Ducks.

No way the Bolts could keep him at 6.25, but even if they did, for Killorn at this stage of his career, that would be a massive overpayment, IMO.
He was a 4.5 cap hit last contract, he is still worth about that perhaps. He is a middling type player during the season, good in the playoffs, intelligent on the ice (most of the time), but doesn't score at great clips at ANY time, isn't particularly fast, and isn't a lock for top six minutes...all things I would expect from a 6M+ guy.

Thank you, Killer for your time, service, and Cups with the Bolts.
An original Lightning player.
Good luck with the Ducks.
You got your work cut out for you over there.

• Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

All quiet on the Berztuzzi front, makes me wonder.

It could be that the Nylander trade is holding that up. Bertuzzi was expected to sign with the Leafs.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Great minds think alike ..... I thought of @J0e Th0rnton too.   He is thanking his lucky stars he traded him when he did .....

Now the bigger question .....  does Pens keep him as a Keeper .... LOL

Jarry is still unsigned lol.

I'm solid with McDavid,  zibanejad

Hellebuyck might get traded, but he's elite no matter where. 

Now it's old man Crosby,  swayman , jarry for my final choices

32 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Jarry is still unsigned lol.

I'm solid with McDavid,  zibanejad

Now it's old man Crosby,  swayman , jarry for my final choices

As of now I still plan on rolling with Draisaitl / Stutzle / Zegras / UPL / Knight (where I read he plans to be back come this fall)

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The only difference is depending on where it could alter his "workhorse" status. Probably not, but possible.

What an odd year to be a free agent. 
Teams in cap trouble trading away players while retaining salary. Teams picking up multiple players in a trade and buying out the contract of the more established player. 
And just when you think teams will be a little more fiscally responsible they start over paying again. 

14 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

What an odd year to be a free agent. 
Teams in cap trouble trading away players while retaining salary. Teams picking up multiple players in a trade and buying out the contract of the more established player. 
And just when you think teams will be a little more fiscally responsible they start over paying again. 

Responsible?
RESPONSIBLE??

Put down the pipe...there ain't no responsible in the NHL!! :bigteeth: 

Free-agent defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere signed with the Detroit Red Wings on a one-year, $4.125 million deal, league sources told The Athletic on Saturday. Here’s what you need to know:

•     Gostisbehere, 30, tallied 41 points (13 goals, 28 assists) in 75 games with the Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes last season.
  •     Arizona traded him to Carolina on March 1 in exchange for a 2026 third-round NHL Draft pick.

Gostisbehere is the latest free agent signing for the Red Wings on Saturday. Detroit also inked J.T. Compher to a five-year, $25.5 million contract.

What does signing Gostisbehere mean for Detroit?

It should certainly help their power play, and bring more offense from the back-end in general. Gostisbehere has reached double-digit goals in each of the last two seasons, and four times in his career. That will help significantly, and looks like the short-term replacement for Filip Hronek in that regard (and, by the same token, part of the bridge to first-round pick Axel Sandin Pellikka).

There is some question as to whether Detroit is overcrowded on the left side, with Jake Walman, Olli Määttä and Ben Chiarot all back, and prospects Simon Edvinsson and Albert Johansson pushing for time. But Chiarot could play the right side, and Edvinsson is currently recovering from shoulder surgery, so that may not be a pressing issue on opening night.

Bottom line: Gostisbehere will help Detroit create more from the blue line, and on a very manageable deal.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Free-agent defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere signed with the Detroit Red Wings on a one-year, $4.125 million deal, league sources told The Athletic on Saturday. Here’s what you need to know:

•     Gostisbehere, 30, tallied 41 points (13 goals, 28 assists) in 75 games with the Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes last season.
  •     Arizona traded him to Carolina on March 1 in exchange for a 2026 third-round NHL Draft pick.

Gostisbehere is the latest free agent signing for the Red Wings on Saturday. Detroit also inked J.T. Compher to a five-year, $25.5 million contract.

What does signing Gostisbehere mean for Detroit?

It should certainly help their power play, and bring more offense from the back-end in general. Gostisbehere has reached double-digit goals in each of the last two seasons, and four times in his career. That will help significantly, and looks like the short-term replacement for Filip Hronek in that regard (and, by the same token, part of the bridge to first-round pick Axel Sandin Pellikka).

There is some question as to whether Detroit is overcrowded on the left side, with Jake Walman, Olli Määttä and Ben Chiarot all back, and prospects Simon Edvinsson and Albert Johansson pushing for time. But Chiarot could play the right side, and Edvinsson is currently recovering from shoulder surgery, so that may not be a pressing issue on opening night.

Bottom line: Gostisbehere will help Detroit create more from the blue line, and on a very manageable deal.

Seider's fantasy value takes a hit though.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Seider's fantasy value takes a hit though.

Could be…..

Gostisbehere shoots left while Moritz Seider shoots right. I don't expect the two to be defense partners at even strength, but I suspect they'll be paired up for all power plays. Last year the Red Wings rolled out four forwards and Seider on the top PP, and then four forwards with Filip Hronek on the second unit, until Hronek was traded. But Hronek shoots right, which played a role in why he wasn't alongside Seider with the man advantage. In fact, the Wings often had just one left shot on their top unit – Dylan Larkin. The signing of 'Ghost' gives a possible top unit of David Perron, Larkin and Lucas Raymond up front, with Gostisbehere and Seider on the point.

Edited by pilldoc

On 7/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Matt Duchene looks like he will be a Dallas Star.

You like this @Math ?

I mean, Duchene wouldn't be my first choice for a top six center, but, he still quietly gets around 40-50 pts a year, no?

Well, I didn't see that coming. The top priority for the Stars is (or was) to find some quality defense depth so the problem remains. But a non-Nillesque deal at only one-year without the full MNC/NTC kit makes me like it. The price is decent, he's not the dominant top scorer anymore but he can still bring something as a middle-6 forward and on the PP as well.

I also like the Steel signing as he was one of the most dangerous Wild forward during the last series. Perfect for a bottom-6 role to replace Glendening. Nill is completely against buying out Suter with the $1M-ish left on the cap, I think we're gonna live with the current defense roster.

Clearing money can be done quite easily by buying out Suter, but that won't suffice and Nill/DeBoer love Suter too much. The ideal solution would be to trade Marchement as well because that would open an eventual roster spot for Stankoven or Bourque but there's no rush. 

I'm not sold on Dumba, his injury seemed to have taken a toll on his body and he doesn't seem to be same since. Still, having Duba and Pavelski on the same team could be funny.

8 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Bleacher report says Dallas would like aDumba, but money would have to be cleared 

Any word on what Dumba's camp is asking for an AAV?

Even though he already ran his course with the Wild, and he is no top pair guy, I still feel, if the price is right, he has some value to a team looking for a defenseman that can do a bit of everything, still skate pretty well, and still plays with heart out there.