Flyers Sign Garnett Hathaway

CoachX

On 7/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, flyercanuck said:

Two year contracts on a rebuild are fine.

Sure 2-year deals are fine while you’re rebuilding but (obviously) who you sign matters. What does Hathaway bring that the Flyers didn’t already acquire when they picked up Marc Staal? I honestly can’t fathom this one. 

Hathaway is kind of a “throw-back” player, the type that I thought, I hoped the Flyers were leaving behind (along with listening to Messrs. Clarke Holmgren Lombardi and Barber). Maybe one of them called in a favor.

Whatever. It doesn’t derail the rebuild but it was unnecessary. Roster spots shouldn’t go to >30-year olds unless they bring something uniquely valuable. Like Staal. I loved that move. Hathaway I just don’t get.

12 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure 2-year deals are fine while you’re rebuilding but (obviously) who you sign matters. What does Hathaway bring that the Flyers didn’t already acquire when they picked up Marc Staal? I honestly can’t fathom this one. 

Hathaway is kind of a “throw-back” player, the type that I thought, I hoped the Flyers were leaving behind (along with listening to Messrs. Clarke Holmgren Lombardi and Barber). Maybe one of them called in a favor.

Whatever. It doesn’t derail the rebuild but it was unnecessary. Roster spots shouldn’t go to >30-year olds unless they bring something uniquely valuable. Like Staal. I loved that move. Hathaway I just don’t get.

I know you know what's happening, here with the rebuild and all, so when I see this kind of post and questioning, I wonder...did that person forget?

As Rad explained it will probably be good business to flip him at some point, this season or next, for more magic beans or a prospect (magic seedlings?).

Everything needs to be rebuilt. The culture of the team and how it plays is not excluded from that.

A "culture" reason to sign a guy like Hathaway is you can't have the locker room turning into Lord of the Flies.

Life and hockey teams aren't teen romance novels where the kids have the answers. Teen-girl Mojo is all up in the Summer I Turned Pretty saga and that show is exhibit A for this "the kids know better" mentality...spoiler alert, they don't.

These kids may have more talent but they don't know anything about life and/or being a professional. 

Hathaway will show them some of these lessons by his example, hard work blah, blah, blah, plus he'll beat a bitch up if necessary.  Probably keeping that on the ice, but if he just traded hands with Ryan Reaves, what's a punky 22-year-old going to say to him?

High skill guys aren't coming here yet.

There need to be more good things in place before that happens, Hathaways, Staals and Walkers are the footers for getting those high skill guys to want to play for the team.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Hathaways, Staals and Walkers are the footers for getting those high skill guys to want to play for the team.

And also better mentors for the younger guys than having the likes of Hayes and JVR making $7 million a year and never breaking a sweat.

• Like 4

Guys:

If you're looking for future tradeable assets there are better choices than a 31-year old plugger. I've always liked Hathaway's toughness and his overall game but let's not pretend he'll be in huge demand at the TD. Hathaway as a mentor is fine but how many do you want? Marc Staal was signed to fill exactly that role. They all practice on the same ice right? It's not like the fwd group needs their own mentor.  

But okay maybe right now the Flyers can't have too many guys who will lead by example, who can help instill a high standard of commitment, preparation and excellence. If Hathaway does that he'll be worth the roster spot. Signing him doesn't hurt the rebuild but imho it was unnecessary.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I've always liked Hathaway's toughness and his overall game but let's not pretend he'll be in huge demand at the TD

at this point, ANY demand is acceptable, as long as he gets moved for something and costs us nothing. Its a risk worth taking. There's no telling what a GM might do with a playoff run looming.

It's future tradeable assets AND a good add "in the room" until it happens.

If he was "just a goon" at 32 and signed for for say four years with an NTC I'd say Briere needs to be fired.

That was Fletcher.

• Like 2

Guys:

If you're looking for future tradeable assets there are better choices than a 31-year old plugger. I've always liked Hathaway's toughness and his overall game but let's not pretend he'll be in huge demand at the TD. Hathaway as a mentor is fine but how many do you want? Marc Staal was signed to fill exactly that role. They all practice on the same ice right? It's not like the fwd group needs their own mentor.  

But okay maybe right now the Flyers can't have too many guys who will lead by example, who can help instill a high standard of commitment, preparation and excellence. If Hathaway does that he'll be worth the roster spot. Signing him doesn't hurt the rebuild but imho it was unnecessary.

Every year playoff teams look to add grit. Reaves has been moved at the deadline. Leafs gave up a 1st and 4th in a 3 team trade to acquire Nick Foligno. Just a few of many examples. 

Just for the record 

Hathaway >>>>Foligno.

Rarely do these grit additions have double digit goals on their resume.

The 2 yr deal will make it tougher, but a 3rd to a 5th is not out of the question at the deadline. 

• Like 1

Marc Staal was signed to fill exactly that role. They all practice on the same ice right? It's not like the fwd group needs their own mentor.

Not sure I agree with this.

They don't sit near each other on the bench during games.

I don't know that Mark Staal's going to have great in game analysis as to why a player should have swapped f1 duties with f2 after a shift. 

They often drill separately at practice. 

I like the player I don't hate his contract. I'm not sure why he causes such eyerolling from you but everyone's entitled to their opinion. 

IMO he's exactly a player GMs look for come playoff time. Speed, hits, agitates and can pot the odd goal...he's a guy that gives your top lines a safe break and can stir the pot when things aren't going well. 

54 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The 2 yr deal will make it tougher, but a 3rd to a 5th is not out of the question at the deadline. 

If you retain half? And that team gets that player at a bargain next year?

Let's see...

At the very least I'm not watching Fletcher trade for a football sharpener and more monkeys.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys make a good point - at the TD I'm sure a PO-bound team will part with a pick to bring him on board. A 1-year deal would've made things easier but I take your point. He won't be hard to move if that's what Briere decides to do.

Like I said I like Hathaway just fine. It's just that signing him felt more like a step backwards instead of forwards, that's all. I do hope he's the last >30-year old Briere signs this summer.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

You guys make a good point - at the TD I'm sure a PO-bound team will part with a pick to bring him on board. A 1-year deal would've made things easier but I take your point. He won't be hard to move if that's what Briere decides to do.

Like I said I like Hathaway just fine. It's just that signing him felt more like a step backwards instead of forwards, that's all. I do hope he's the last >30-year old Briere signs this summer.

He'll be able to coach up the flock and protect them when need be.

And at some time in his time in Philly someone needs is wanting him in a trade i expect Danny to take the best deal that fits the team.

A few who will be on the block all season up to the deadline:

Coots

Tippett

Konecny

Laughton

Atkinson

Sanheim

Risto

Hathaway

ND

Allison

Laczynski

Poehling

Walker

Staal

Seeler

Zamula

All these pieces will be on the block.

All will vary in ability to move as well as what would be expected back.

But it's fluid. Be water my friend...

• Like 1

I appreciate ND (😁) as a warrior. And agree or not with what his role is, the guy actually did what he was paid to do. But he's blocking a player who needs ice time. I'd like to see them move him

13 hours ago, radoran said:

N.T.C.

Possible. Not obvious.

It's up after next June so he is movable right before the new year if they see fit.

So if he plays well he could stay...otherwise yeah he might be gone too.