Flyers Sign Garnett Hathaway

CoachX

"We're going to ensure our young players get a chance to develop and make the team so we can see what we have." Then process to sign guys that will fill roster spots and leave the young guys out looking in. There isn't room for a Foerster, Lycksell or Desnoyers now. 

This franchise. Even with a new GM, they just can't help themselves but sign these overrated hacks. Just watch. I'm willing to bet Hathaway will be gifted all sorts of ice time because "heaviness". Skill, not size or heaviness, is how you win. ****** dinosaurs.....

• Like 2

The term is a surprise.  For this amount, I suspect they might have landed Evan Rodrigues who has good possession numbers and some scoring. We already have Deslauriers.  I put this under the "tougher to play against" category. It may also be an assessment of bottom 6 potential in the system. The brass may not see much.

Edited by Howie58

32 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

"We're going to ensure our young players get a chance to develop and make the team so we can see what we have." Then process to sign guys that will fill roster spots and leave the young guys out looking in. There isn't room for a Foerster, Lycksell or Desnoyers now. 

This franchise. Even with a new GM, they just can't help themselves but sign these overrated hacks. Just watch. I'm willing to bet Hathaway will be gifted all sorts of ice time because "heaviness". Skill, not size or heaviness, is how you win. ****** dinosaurs.....

As much as we all want to believe things have changed...they haven't a whole lot. 

Here's our "new" development staff...

Director of Player Development Riley Armstrong
Assistant Director of Player Development Nick Schultz
Player Development, Europe & Pro Scout Sami Kapanen
Player Development Sam Morin
Player Development Chris Stewart

Other than Armstrong, anyone find a common denominator for the other four? And since Armstrong is a fairly common name, the Philly brass probably just thought he'd played for them. 

It may not be the ol' boys club....it's the new ol' boys club.

At least there appears to be a rebuild. And if Hathaway gets dealt at the deadline, then cool. Hopefully Briere doesn't switch gears and start going for it next year.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Not so fast these guys have to be here to you know push the kids so they don't just get handed spots.

So these guys will now do that they usually keep 14 forwards and 7 D men. 

So they can have some kids like Forester in the lineup and just have an Atkinson or Allison play on their off wings till the roster can be further set up.

Ans some of the guys make be sent down for numbers waivers reasons but Poeling can center the 4th line between Nic and Hathaway.

Pushing Laczynski to the scratch list to start with maybe but to be honest Torts mentioned him last year and not be able to stay healthy last season ans eluded to not being so happy about it.

Laczynski and Allison time in Philly may be drawing towards an end they are 27 and 26 this season respectively so there is that.

It will sort itself out and injuries always crop up.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

As much as we all want to believe things have changed...they haven't a whole lot. 

Other than Armstrong, anyone find a common denominator for the other four? And since Armstrong is a fairly common name, the Philly brass probably just thought he'd played for them. 

Alyn McCauley says hello he is a former Leafs which maybe be even worse.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

At least there appears to be a rebuild. And if Hathaway gets dealt at the deadline, then cool. Hopefully Briere doesn't switch gears and start going for it next year.

I wasn't happy about the Hathaway signing. I was glad it wasn't Anne, though.

You just make it feel oh so much worse.  Thanks. Now you just made by corn flakes taste so generic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This franchise. Even with a new GM, they just can't help themselves but sign these overrated hacks. Just watch. I'm willing to bet Hathaway will be gifted all sorts of ice time because "heaviness". Skill, not size or heaviness, is how you win

I thought winning wasn't the priority. I'm still reading a lot of us advocating for tanking. If these guys are temporarily filling a role, and not helping the team "win", then tanking is still in play. 

The Flyers may not feel that some of the young players you named, are not ready for NHL time

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I wasn't happy about the Hathaway signing. I was glad it wasn't Anne, though.

Anne Hathaway is freakin hot! She would be good in the room

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I actually don't mind Hathaway as a bottom 6. 2 years is a mistake. The real problem is Deslauriers is making 1.75 for the next 3 years (with a NTC!)...so Hathaway's skill set is redundant on this roster. If Nic is not here, sure throw him on the 4th line and or press box....but since you inherited the Nic debacle...dont double down! How many guys like this you need??

They did the same kind of thing last season, putting McEwen and ND on the ice. One thought I have is they are still stuck in the old school Flyer legend of having brawlers on the ice. It's appeals to the fans but offers nothing else. Being entertaining can soften the blow of sucking. The other thought I have is more players are on the way out. I know I was critical of the Db, KJ, PS hiring, but I'm choosing to trust that DB has a long term plan where these signings won't be long term issues

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

They did the same kind of thing last season, putting McEwen and ND on the ice. One thought I have is they are still stuck in the old school Flyer legend of having brawlers on the ice. It's appeals to the fans but offers nothing else. Being entertaining can soften the blow of sucking. The other thought I have is more players are on the way out. I know I was critical of the Db, KJ, PS hiring, but I'm choosing to trust that DB has a long term plan where these signings won't be long term issues

Two thoughts about this. 

First is Hathaway is better at hockey than McKeown.  So the goon squad shouldn't get buried in the same way it did last year. 

The second is, I think you're on to something with the idea that these aren't long term problems. 

It's not Hathaway @ 5×3.5.aav.

It's short term solutions to short term problems. 

It is hard to trust after the ****ery we've experienced. 

• Like 2

@mojo1917

I didnt take long for the knives to come in regards to DB. He trades Provy and makes what appear to be good draft picks, and it cheers and applause. He signs a couple of insignificant FAs, most likely in line with his overall strategy, and he's the next rendition of the good ol boys

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

@mojo1917

I didnt take long for the knives to come in regards to DB. He trades Provy and makes what appear to be good draft picks, and it cheers and applause. He signs a couple of insignificant FAs, most likely in line with his overall strategy, and he's the next rendition of the good ol boys

Well considering 95% of his staff are ex-Flyers.....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I didnt take long for the knives to come in regards to DB.

I swear you have been here a while and you thought the haters would stop?

You rode the short bus for real. No you drove it which explains why you and Pods get along so well...

• Haha 1

I don't think anyone hates or has knives drawn for Briere. What I think some are upset about is that we have a GM that says that they're going to play young players, yet they make moves to fill spots with veterans, so that the young players don't get a chance. And the veterans they sign? They're players that one would expect Bobby Clarke, Paul Holmgren and Schmuck Felcher would have targeted. Why do they insist to sign crap to fill roles? The management of this team talks a good talk, and then when it comes time to deliver, it's the same disappointing player types they sign. It's as if this franchise just can't help themselves.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Good Post 1

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think anyone hates or has knives drawn for Briere. What I think some are upset about is that we have a GM that says that they're going to play young players, yet they make moves to fill spots with veterans, so that the young players don't get a chance. And the veterans they sign? They're players that one would expect Bobby Clarke, Paul Holmgren and Schmuck Felcher would have targeted. Why do they insist to sign crap to fill roles? The management of this team talks a good talk, and then when it comes time to deliver, it's the same disappointing player types they sign. It's as if this franchise just can't help themselves.

Briere has done some things right. He's trying to throw out the trash. He picked the 2nd highest rated guy 5 picks later, instead of picking a guy rated later early. And a Russian at that!

But he's still picking alumni instead of best man for the job. It's like the Habs only hiring french speaking coaches...hows that working out for them? Bout the same as the Flyers ol' boys club is working for us.

FWIW, I don't think this Garnet Hathaway signing is terrible.

As @Howie58 said, Evan Rodrigues (similar AAV) would have been better as far as a bit more offense and versatility goes (though Rodrigues wouldn't be as physical as Hathaway), but I think the team could have done worse than Hathaway, especially given where the Flyers are in their competitive cycle.

I think Hathaway's offense is a bit underrated...don't get me wrong, he isn't gonna light up any scoreboards or be a guy fans can't wait to see what he pulls off in the offensive zone, but he quietly puts together some points here and there, while being a physical presence.
And he really doesn't seem to take a bunch of penalties while be tough on the opposition either...relative to how often he engages players. 
Tells me he may actually THINK while out on the ice.

He certainly brings more value than say, Nick Deslauriers.
I'd put Hathaway on par with someone like Scott Laughton....maybe a bit more abrasive version of Laughton, minus Laughton's centerman ability of course.

2.3M for him? Hmm...MAYBE a tad high if he doesn't quite fit in...maybe just right if he does. Will have to see.
But on the bright side, he is only signed for this coming season and the next, so if things don't work out, the Flyers aren't on the hook for him, or he isn't 'unmovable' beforehand, for a long period of time.
And while the Flyers sort through their roster, he isn't bad to have on there.
He is a classic "Torts" kind of guy...that is good or bad, depending on the person reading this.

I wouldn't have minded him being signed by the Lightning as part of their bottom six rebuild, but 2.3M for TB is not allowable due to being up to the cap ceiling and my team went in a different, less expensive direction.
But for Philly, here, now, not bad. Not GREEEEATTT!, but not terrible.

My 42 cents. :) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

FWIW, I don't think this Garnet Hathaway signing is terrible.

As @Howie58 said, Evan Rodrigues (similar AAV) would have been better as far as a bit more offense and versatility goes (though Rodrigues wouldn't be as physical as Hathaway), but I think the team could have done worse than Hathaway, especially given where the Flyers are in their competitive cycle.

I think Hathaway's offense is a bit underrated...don't get me wrong, he isn't gonna light up any scoreboards or be a guy fans can't wait to see what he pulls off in the offensive zone, but he quietly puts together some points here and there, while being a physical presence.
And he really doesn't seem to take a bunch of penalties while be tough on the opposition either...relative to how often he engages players. 
Tells me he may actually THINK while out on the ice.

He certainly brings more value than say, Nick Deslauriers.
I'd put Hathaway on par with someone like Scott Laughton....maybe a bit more abrasive version of Laughton, minus Laughton's centerman ability of course.

2.3M for him? Hmm...MAYBE a tad high if he doesn't quite fit in...maybe just right if he does. Will have to see.
But on the bright side, he is only signed for this coming season and the next, so if things don't work out, the Flyers aren't on the hook for him, or he isn't 'unmovable' beforehand, for a long period of time.
And while the Flyers sort through their roster, he isn't bad to have on there.
He is a classic "Torts" kind of guy...that is good or bad, depending on the person reading this.

I wouldn't have minded him being signed by the Lightning as part of their bottom six rebuild, but 2.3M for TB is not allowable due to being up to the cap ceiling and my team went in a different, less expensive direction.
But for Philly, here, now, not bad. Not GREEEEATTT!, but not terrible.

My 42 cents. :) 

You can do a lot worse than a bottom 6 guy who put up double digit goals 2 years in a row. He hits like a mad man, beats people up AND kills penalties. In a perfect world, its 1 yr not 2...but not terrible. 

BTW, Evan Rodriguez signed a 4 yr deal with Fla for 3 mill a year. 

• Like 4

Surprised Hathaway signed here, I would have thought he'd go to a contender's 4th line. I know the Bruins wanted him back but just didn't have the cap room. 

Definitely prefer Hathaway in the line up to JVR. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

Surprised Hathaway signed here, I would have thought he'd go to a contender's 4th line. I know the Bruins wanted him back but just didn't have the cap room. 

Definitely prefer Hathaway in the line up to JVR. 

He scored more goals than JVR last year...lol

• Like 1