Wild Acquire Maroon

bbgarnett

Tampa Bay is paying a portion of his salary, and while some roll their eyes at the 'toughness' adds this addresses that concern if there is any to have.  Whether people want to scoff or not, he has a ton of playoff experience and its tough to get annoyed at the cost of a 7th round pick.  Iowa Wild and / or Iowa Heartlanders get a little help too.  

Although I wonder if that means maybe they're going to move on from Brandon Duhaime?!?!  

Surprised me as well!

Basically, trading in Reaves for Maroon. And for free basically as they only gave up a 7th round pick.
Plus MN gets a 22 yr old forward for the Iowa Wild in Max Cajkovic.

While the unoriginal running joke by every media outlet seems to be Minnesota are now Cup favorites, fact is, I consider Maroon an upgrade over Reaves.

Pure 4th liner mind you (with the occasional stint on the 3rd and MAYBE a 2nd PP unit guy as a net front guy), he definitely carries a kind of swagger to him that he can back up a bit more with actual hockey over a guy like Reaves, while still being just as tough on opponents on the ice.

Cup favorites? Yea. Ok. But a nice veteran guy who can still actually play hockey.
Now Foligno and Maroon don't have to fight each other anymore (unless they want to during practice scrimmages :rolleyes: )

If the Wild intend to play more youth this season, Maroon is probably the better type of player to be more of a mentor type, and he does a GREAT job at deflecting heat off younger players, as he did in St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

Not an earth shattering acquisition, but the sorts of moves you'd expect the Wild to make given their buyout situations.

Don't see why from TB's POV (the cap hit is almost  negligible), but that is for another topic.

Guess I can keep rooting for Maroon since he switched from one of my teams to the other...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Tampa Bay is paying a portion of his salary, and while some roll their eyes at the 'toughness' adds this addresses that concern if there is any to have.  Whether people want to scoff or not, he has a ton of playoff experience and its tough to get annoyed at the cost of a 7th round pick.  Iowa Wild and / or Iowa Heartlanders get a little help too.  

Although I wonder if that means maybe they're going to move on from Brandon Duhaime?!?!  

Thoughts on Cajkovic or not really yet since he wasn't one of our prospects.

He's mostly an ECHL'er.  He's only had a some limited time at the AHL'er.  But the Heartlanders need all of the help they can get.  Maroon only has one year left on his deal and if the Wild aren't anywhere near the playoffs he probably becomes an asset you can trade at the deadline as teams always look to toughen up for the post-season and with his extensive playoff experience he'd probably be in demand unless his game has gone to complete crap.  

IMO, a no lose move for the Wild unless you are of the mindset it blocks a young player out of the lineup.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Interesting that big Pat had a limited no-movement clause and Minnesota was on the right side of that ledger.....

(shrugs)  I think for 1-year it probably doesn't seem like the worst place to go.  He'll probably get along with the team just fine.  But that does add a different layer to it as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Math said:

Getting Maroon in place of Reaves is an immediate improvement. Seeing the Leafs giving Reaves a 3-year contract is baffling.

(shrugs)  I'm not going to worry about the Leafs problems.  There is enough Wild issues to be too concerned with that.  Besides, next year could be a rough one for Leafs nation with so many big names as UFA's.  

3 hours ago, Math said:

Getting Maroon in place of Reaves is an immediate improvement. Seeing the Leafs giving Reaves a 3-year contract is baffling.

Toronto seems to believe in the power of the loud room roll call!

IMO, Tor was plenty tough already…their stars didn’t show up when they needed to against Florida.

Reaves won’t address that, but, from a Bolts divisional rival standpoint, I say good for the Leafs! 😏

And even though Maroon has lost a step or two , having him anchor down a 4th line spot instead of Reaves is an upgrade for Minnesota no matter how you compare those two

42 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Toronto seems to believe in the power of the loud room roll call!

IMO, Tor was plenty tough already…their stars didn’t show up when they needed to against Florida.

Reaves won’t address that, but, from a Bolts divisional rival standpoint, I say good for the Leafs! 😏

And even though Maroon has lost a step or two , having him anchor down a 4th line spot instead of Reaves is an upgrade for Minnesota no matter how you compare those two

Yeah, Reaves signing in Toronto is good for the opposition. The Leafs roster, going into the next season, isn't as good as the one which ended last season. Maybe things swing right for them and they go further in the playoffs, but they're in a worse position now.

I think this is quite the win for the Wild. 
For $800K the Wild get an NHL tested 4th liner who adds toughness and leadership for the 4th liners on how to be a role player. 
That BG was able to take advantage of the retained salary is a the only reason this got done. 

I wonder how long before a team figures out how to game this retained salary thing to go over the cap. 

@Tomdog
Well, the whole 'retention to go over the cap' has already been done many times over.
But, it IS a part of how the NHL allows teams to do business, and so, GMs SHOULD be trying to use it.

That was how Ryan O'Reilly was able to get over the Leafs, and if I am not mistaken, the Wild were a part of that with St. Louis retaining, the Wild retaining...and the Leafs ended up with a 7M player for around 1.5M or something like that.

Had the Leafs WON that way, maybe there would be griping about it, kinda like the waterworks with LTIR around some other teams that have "gamed" the set system to get to the top.
But since they didn't, no one is saying anything about it.

So, if Bill Guerin can get in on that somehow, and this retention game helps him do that while he navigates the looming cap penalties, then he should do everything he can to work the system.
Maroon here, is a small example of that.

I would expect Guerin to have his eyes peeled for similar  opportunities in the future.

Reavo gets 3 years ...Amazing but good for him. See Ya !!
Maroon's message in coming to Minny was such a stereotype response. 😅
He looked like his dog just died and had to be all Rah-Rah about his year here.
Great to have you and the experience but settle down there Pat.

Btw, So many people get bent out of shape when the word Minny is used. 🤣
Too bad, Deal with it because if the shoe fits......

• Good Post 1

I just looked for Maroon's stats and achievements. He is a big player 6'3"; 234 lbs. He reached 4 times Stanley Cup finals and 3 times Stanley Cup winner (1 with Blues and 2 with Lightning) which we did not have before in our roster. But he was the most penalized player in NHL for the last 2022-23 season (150 PIM). I do not know how good that part would be for our team. Time will show. 🤔

On 7/4/2023 at 8:51 AM, ClusterChuck said:

Reavo gets 3 years ...Amazing but good for him. See Ya !!
Maroon's message in coming to Minny was such a stereotype response. 😅
He looked like his dog just died and had to be all Rah-Rah about his year here.
Great to have you and the experience but settle down there Pat.

Btw, So many people get bent out of shape when the word Minny is used. 🤣
Too bad, Deal with it because if the shoe fits......

Yea, pretty much typical cliche crap you say when you go to a new team.  He know he'll probably get moved at the deadline too.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea, pretty much typical cliche crap you say when you go to a new team.  He know he'll probably get moved at the deadline too.  

Interesting take there. If BG wanted to fill a void then why wouldn't he want Maroon for the entire season then?
I figured at least the 1 season.
Hopefully along the way possibly we find some youth in our ranks who would fill that void and become a mainstay for a while.
Instead of the constant rentals we're used to getting all the time.

5 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Interesting take there. If BG wanted to fill a void then why wouldn't he want Maroon for the entire season then?
I figured at least the 1 season.
Hopefully along the way possibly we find some youth in our ranks who would fill that void and become a mainstay for a while.
Instead of the constant rentals we're used to getting all the time.

I don’t mind getting inexpensive players like Maroon for a season to fill a third-fourth line role. I’m tired of the big fat multi year UFA contracts this team keeps handing out because they can’t draft and develop scorers. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I don’t mind getting inexpensive players like Maroon for a season to fill a third-fourth line role. I’m tired of the big fat multi year UFA contracts this team keeps handing out because they can’t draft and develop scorers. 

Or centers...or scorers...

• Like 1

Yea, don't get it either...  There's some young talent that might be studs that I would be gambling on versus someone who has the experience and is ho hum to go to MN - and his penalty minutes - jeeezus - that's the last thing MN needs...  But, who knows...

21 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Yea, don't get it either...  There's some young talent that might be studs that I would be gambling on versus someone who has the experience and is ho hum to go to MN - and his penalty minutes - jeeezus - that's the last thing MN needs...  But, who knows...

Minnesota has always been a soft team. They almost always have been dead last in hits. They prefer positional players to physical players. Problem is when you get to the playoffs a team full of Nancy boys isn’t going to get far. And to have EEK go down right before the playoffs and have the team basically implode just shows how far away from a Stanley Cup this team is. Great, Guerin brings in Pat Maroon. Won’t matter a lick if Boldy and Foligno and Hartman etc. continue to disappear in the playoffs. Pat Maroon’s the kind of player you add when you are ready to make a Cup run. The Wild are no where near that. 

On 7/8/2023 at 7:58 PM, IllaZilla said:

Minnesota has always been a soft team. They almost always have been dead last in hits. They prefer positional players to physical players. Problem is when you get to the playoffs a team full of Nancy boys isn’t going to get far. And to have EEK go down right before the playoffs and have the team basically implode just shows how far away from a Stanley Cup this team is. Great, Guerin brings in Pat Maroon. Won’t matter a lick if Boldy and Foligno and Hartman etc. continue to disappear in the playoffs. Pat Maroon’s the kind of player you add when you are ready to make a Cup run. The Wild are no where near that. 

True, but that should make him a bit of a trade asset at the deadline.  Especially if he plays well with the Wild prior to that, but if he looks disinterested it probably won't yield much.  But overall, you are right.  We have been a soft team.  But we haven't drafted a lot of grit either; either at forward or on the blue line.  

Guerin's interview stated that Hartman needs to play his game and not try to be something he's not (i.e. try to be a skill guy like Kaprizov or Zuccarello).  So I think the organization recognizes it needs to be grittier to be successful in the playoffs.  Still for a 7th round pick, it seems like a decent get with relatively little risk.  

On 7/2/2023 at 7:36 PM, bbgarnett said:

Can't say I was expecting this but I guess now that we have maroon were cup favorites.

For 3 years straight he was The Officially Good Luck Charm for winning the Cup...until he dented it:

e6ix0kewqai7iac.jpg

😆