Flyers Sign Marc Staal 1 yr contract at $1.1 million

Marc Staal signs 1-year, $1.1 million contract with Flyers

Defenseman had 15 points in 82 games with Panthers last season

https://www.nhl.com/news/marc-staal-signs-one-year-contract-with-philadelphia-flyers/c-344924128?tid=281072352

Flyers sign defenseman Marc Staal to a one-year contract

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenseman Marc Staal to a one-year, $1.1 million contract

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-defenseman-marc-staal-to-a-one-year-contract/c-345197184

Played for Torts for Torts entire run in New York. Signed to be a drinking buddy on the road lol. 

Seriously tho, never a fan, always thought he got by on his family name until he was traded to Detroit then I watched him. A bit washed up but technically sound he was an excellent mentor for the young defense. 

• Like 2

Bright spot...Stall has made tons of cash in his long career....hes in this for the love of the game. A real nice thing for the Flyers to acquire. Basically the polar opposite of JVR. I'm convinced that guy uses the game as a means to an end. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Staal strikes me as a true pro. He's a seasoned vet. This seems like the kind of guy who could do a lot to help a young defenseman. Kinda like Nisky did

If he can help bring York and/or Sanheim along, he's worth every penny.

I think he could legitimately help York.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoachX said:

Staal strikes me as a true pro. He's a seasoned vet. This seems like the kind of guy who could do a lot to help a young defenseman. Kinda like Nisky did

There is a fine line there right?

The player can't just be an experienced veteran, they have to have had some success too. 

Coming a nice playoff run, where he played "just fine" in top 4 minutes gives him some credibility that maybe some other old player may not.

He's not the reason the Panthers lost, he wasn't great either, but he provided safe minutes in a winning environment.

Niskanen was still very good at hockey when he decided to hang up the skates, he was the best player on the blueline while he was here.  Staal's role won't be like that. but I can see where his voice will have some weight and guys could turn to him for advice or at least pay attention when he's talking.  That's a good thing IMO.

• Good Post 1

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Niskanen was still very good at hockey when he decided to hang up the skates, he was the best player on the blueline while he was here.  Staal's role won't be like that. but I can see where his voice will have some weight and guys could turn to him for advice or at least pay attention when he's talking.  That's a good thing IMO

I'm not saying Staal is as good as Nisky was. I was just wondering if he could fill the same role

• Like 2

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Ya, its one thing to bein tank mode, and another to destroy what few bright lights there are.

Exactly and for the record I do not want Staal with him either but it seems I have to pick the lesser of two evils.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, its one thing to bein tank mode, and another to destroy what few bright lights there are.

Word on the streets is Emil maybe kept after the way he looked last night.

So maybe just maybe they could pair York and Andrea and that would depend on camp/preseason.

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Word on the streets is Emil maybe kept after the way he looked last night.

So maybe just maybe they could pair York and Andrea and that would depend on camp/preseason.

That would be one puny top pairing. They'd get eaten alive. There's gotta be one guy with size out there. Not size and stupidity....just size.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That would be one puny top pairing. They'd get eaten alive. There's gotta be one guy with size out there. Not size and stupidity....just size.

No I was going to let Sanheim and Risto play top pair.

Emil and York 2nd pair.

Zamula Walker 3rd pair.

Staal 7th Seeler 8th

Due to new rule Emil is either a Flyer or SHL since he is signed to a contract he can't be a Phantom from what I understand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Or...

Sanheim/Risto

York/Attard

Emil/Walker

Seeler/Staal

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No I was going to let Sanheim and Risto play top pair.

Emil and York 2nd pair.

Zamula Walker 3rd pair.

Staal 7th Seeler 8th

Due to new rule Emil is either a Flyer or SHL since he is signed to a contract he can't be a Phantom from what I understand.

Ok, gotcha...poor Sanheim.  He'll be earning his pay...lol.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, gotcha...poor Sanheim.  He'll be earning his pay...lol.

Way I look at it maybe those two playing together expedites one of/or both I'm good with that being traded away.

Roll with...

York/Attard

Emil/Walker

Seeler/Staal