Flyers Sign Marc Staal 1 yr contract at $1.1 million

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't care. JVR is gone!

And now they've signed (Didn't you used to be) Marc Staal!

Always wanted a Staal on the Flyers....20 years ago!

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And now they've signed (Didn't you used to be) Marc Staal!

Always wanted a Staal on the Flyers....20 years ago!

He'll be a nice player to move at the trade deadline as draft bait for more picks. 😊

• Like 3

RE: Mark Staal.

A short-term solution to a short-term problem.

The term of these 3 signings is a good enough for me to believe Daniel et al "get it" and aren't going to rush the team building.

Also with regard to blocking a young guy? the young guys need to take these jobs. I guaran-damn-tee-you Garnett Hathaway isn't giving up ****. 

• Like 4

• pilldoc changed the title to Flyers Sign Marc Staal 1 yr contract at $1.1 million

I hope he has something left in the tank.  Yes, one year isn't long, and 1.1 million isn't overpayment.  Our experience with another Florida cast-off, Keith Yandle, left a bad taste.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I hope he has something left in the tank.  Yes, one year isn't long, and 1.1 million isn't overpayment.  Our experience with another Florida cast-off, Keith Yandle, left a bad taste.  

They played Yandle trying to make him into a PP1 QB and taking some top pair minutes (due to injury) on a "definitely a playoff team" while chasing his stupid iron man streak.

Looks like Staal is expected to be at best a bottom four, steady locker room guy, potential deadline deal on a team facing a throwaway season.

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

He'll be a nice player to move at the trade deadline as draft bait for more picks. 😊

What kind of picks could Conestoga View possibly have?

(Evangelical Manor or Simpson House for those from Philly)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

They played Yandle trying to make him into a PP1 QB and taking some top pair minutes (due to injury) on a "definitely a playoff team" while chasing his stupid iron man streak.

Looks like Staal is expected to be at best a bottom four, steady locker room guy, potential deadline deal on a team facing a throwaway season.

All true...but they might have had Keilar Yamamoto for a few more bucks and a poop load more upside.  We bring in these "old farts" to stabilize the ship...and they end up dragging the anchor to the bottom along with the ship.  You are right Rad...this isn't going to be a fun team to watch (for the most part).   I hope it confirms the probable departure of TDA.   

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We bring in these "old farts" to stabilize the ship...and they end up dragging the anchor to the bottom along with the ship.

In the Flyers' minds they were a playoff team looking to add veteran depth and experience. He also had experience with Vigneault.

When Ellis went down (ahem) they were forced to play Yandle in situations to which he wasn't suited. Sure, those situations were "on the ice" and "in a professional hockey game" but I digress.

Staal should bring that stay at home vet presence they were looking for from Braun and they can trade him to whatever brother's team is headed to the playoffs. 😃

1 minute ago, radoran said:

In the Flyers' minds they were a playoff team looking to add veteran depth and experience. He also had experience with Vigneault.

When Ellis went down (ahem) they were forced to play Yandle in situations to which he wasn't suited. Sure, those situations were "on the ice" and "in a professional hockey game" but I digress.

Staal should bring that stay at home vet presence they were looking for from Braun and they can trade him to whatever brother's team is headed to the playoffs. 😃

Rad:  As I have said quite often on this board, I'll invoke my late great mom: "From your lips to God's ears."  Enjoy the 4th...but don't follow in Foster Brooks' footsteps and celebrate with a Fifth....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

All true...but they might have had Keilar Yamamoto for a few more bucks and a poop load more upside.  We bring in these "old farts" to stabilize the ship...and they end up dragging the anchor to the bottom along with the ship.  You are right Rad...this isn't going to be a fun team to watch (for the most part).   I hope it confirms the probable departure of TDA.   

If 5 foot nothing Yammer cant get 0.5 pts per game playing with Driasital, I shudder to think what he does without him. If he's not scoring, he's not adding much else. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

they were forced to play Yandle in situations to which he wasn't suited

Ice. Skates. Physical exertion. Lights. Sticks. Pucks.

Who can operate under those conditions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jammer2 said:

If 5 foot nothing Yammer cant get 0.5 pts per game playing with Driasital, I shudder to think what he does without him. If he's not scoring, he's not adding much else. 

True...but sometimes I think the Flyers brass forgets there are times a good offense is a good defense.  Keeping the puck in the other team's zone matters.....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Staal = Justin Braun

The Flyers always seem to have one of these on the roster.  I predict he'll be coaching the Phantoms one day

That is the correlation I drew also...Stall is this years Braun.

Is he really a bottom pairing guy though? Staal averaged 18 minutes and 12 seconds per game during the regular season and 20 minutes 56 seconds per game in the playoffs. That's not bottom pairing/regular scratch ice time. That's D4 ice time. So, forget about Zamula, Andrae, Grans and Attard getting any playing time in the NHL. They're marked for the AHL and they're going to stay there because a Torts guy has been given a job and you know Torts is going to use him a lot. I hate this. I absolutely hate this. Staal won't be sitting for anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is he really a bottom pairing guy though? Staal averaged 18 minutes and 12 seconds per game during the regular season and 20 minutes 56 seconds per game in the playoffs. That's not bottom pairing/regular scratch ice time. That's D4 ice time. So, forget about Zamula, Andrae, Grans and Attard getting any playing time in the NHL. They're marked for the AHL and they're going to stay there because a Torts guy has been given a job and you know Torts is going to use him a lot. I hate this. I absolutely hate this. Staal won't be sitting for anyone.

It's waivable too...

:beer:

Just filling out the line up with unsigned bodies. One year deal does make him flippable at the deadline. I'm sure somebody will want him at that point and in the meantime, veteran character leadership. I wouldn't expect much at this point, but that's just fine.